Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mazed posted:

[etc]
This might work far, far better in Japanese than it does in English, but knowing that doesn't make it much more readable.

Was it the official thing or a fan translation? In the majority of cases fan translations only convey the surface meaning at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Now that you mention it, yeah, that's probably a problem. It was this.

It's got all the stilted hallmarks of "translators" thinking that the extent of their work is just translating, literally.

To those who've read the licensed one: Is it distinctly better? I'd be inclined to grab one on Kindle or some such, if so.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The official LN localization is good and you should buy it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

One thing I appreciate about the official LN is that they do a really really good job of conveying that Megumin talks like a super high INT chuuni weirdo.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Megumin is good at naming things. Like swords.

And everyone is very bad at recognising goddesses in mortal form. By having more time for side-characters, the LNs make it a lot more obvious that Cris is Eris in disguise, helping out Darkness by being her only friend.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm just glad we've gotten over the whole annoying "the animation is SO BAD" thing from when the first season came out.

It was never bad; it was cartoony, which absolutely fits the theme. People who were expecting "traditional" Japanese animation and got Looney Tunes instead were so salty you could have preserved fish in them.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Pretty sure all the Explosion casts were all really well-animated though. Even if some of them were reused.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mirage posted:

I'm just glad we've gotten over the whole annoying "the animation is SO BAD" thing from when the first season came out.

haters talkin' poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/hpIFujL.mp4

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Pretty sure all the Explosion casts were all really well-animated though. Even if some of them were reused.

Megumin is carrying on the grand Lina Inverse tradition of having a curated stock of spellcasting animations. :colbert:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I’m pretty sure a majority of the animation budget goes to explosions and Kazuma’s fingers.

I can’t wait for season 3. So far my favorite scene in the whole show is when Kazuma is hiding under his kotatsu and attacks Darkness and Megumin for getting too close. It’s perfect comedy in my book

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
When's my Slayers + KonoSuba collab, let's get it on

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mirage posted:

It was never bad; it was cartoony, which absolutely fits the theme. People who were expecting "traditional" Japanese animation and got Looney Tunes instead were so salty you could have preserved fish in them.

I think Studio Deen’s reputation for low quality is well-earned. It just worked out in their favor here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The funniest moment in the show is BY FAR Kazuma's reaction to the little girl trying to fleece him into the Axis Cult.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

AlternateNu posted:

The funniest moment in the show is BY FAR Kazuma's reaction to the little girl trying to fleece him into the Axis Cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQVdBBkiFM

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I hope season 3 has more Wiz. She is my favourite side character.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Furnaceface posted:

I hope season 3 has more Wiz. She is my favourite side character.

Agreed. Wiz best girl.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

For me, beaten out by *heh*

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

When's my Slayers + KonoSuba collab, let's get it on

it'd be the best thing forever so i doubt it's ever happening

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

A jargogle posted:

For me, beaten out by *heh*

*heh* was far and away my favorite moment.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Chicken. Race.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my favorite is probably when kazuma fights the generic isekai heroman and just ruins his life in about 5 minutes

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 3, 2021

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I really like Kazuma and Darknesses duel. Especially when Kazuma gets all smug when he starts draining her, except her response to that is just to try and break his arms lol. In fact I think id go so far as to say the ep at Darknesses house is the best one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I picked up volume 15 of the light novel a month or so ago. Only one chapter into it, but it looks Kazuma has to get serious cause someone has upset Aqua enough for it to bother him. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

I remember being on the fence about picking up the light novels, but drat these things are fun. Bring on more anime, gaddang it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Shinjobi posted:

Kazuma has to get serious cause someone has upset Aqua enough for it to bother him.

My mental image of his reaction

"Nobody makes that goddess cry but me! And maybe the mage!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are the books available in eBook format?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Elfface posted:

My mental image of his reaction

"Nobody makes that goddess cry but me! And maybe the mage!"

This is pretty much 100% accurate.

Really enjoyed the book. Kazuma is absolute trash, but it has its benefits.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Are the books available in eBook format?

They are, in fact.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Are we ever getting a new season?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Sadly this post from two pages ago does not specify the format, only that anyone that asks about a third season is banned from watching it per google translate.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm caught up on the official LN releases. It's a crime that the Overlord LNs get hard cover releases but KonoSuba is only in soft cover.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It awakens.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1530548031761825792

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Not just season 3, but the megumin prequel is getting an anime adaptation too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

Not just season 3, but the megumin prequel is getting an anime adaptation too.

Praise Aqua.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No, don't, that never ends well.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
KonoSuba is the next Slayers

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Time to update my status from "Skeptical about the existence of season 3" to "Skeptical about the staff changes"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

KonoSuba is the next Slayers

Already was.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Two more seasons, praise be.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005