Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Stanley Cup would be the most memorable thing about this video, if it added to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiYK_6FxNts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

The Golden Man posted:

You guys should cheer for the Oil. You know. A canada's team kind of thing

Gross

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Jhet posted:

Is it bad that I want them to lose so that we can endure another season of “The Oilers are wasting McDavid’s talent”?

This is actually the only correct thing to hope for

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

May Connor McDavid know only frustration

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I'm too nervous to watch the Avs game tonight so I'm going to play video games and check the score afterwards. If the Avs win, I will watch the replay :hai:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

we thank you for your service

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Holy poo poo, lol

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

The Golden Man posted:

if a goal makes you laugh it counts more, mathwise

Also this

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

WHOOOO :toot: I turned the game on with like 5 seconds left, right after Helm's score. I'm not gonna lie, I thought that the Blue's last desperation shot from center ice was going to go in, based on how Kuemper's been playing this series

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Helm? Like Darren Helm?!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
This is gonna be a fun conference final. So loving pumped the Avs won tonight, on the backs of the heroes you expected, JT Compher and Darren "still in the NHL" Helm.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Helm? Like Darren Helm?!

That's Series Winning Goal Scorer Darren Helm friend

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
What a golden gift this season has been for ESPN, highest scoring in decades, McMatchup in the WCF

Who has the bigger advantage: McDavid against any pairing that’s not Makar-Toews or Mackinnon against Nurse, Ceci, Keith and Barrie

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Helm? Like Darren Helm?!

I think everyone, Avs fans included, was thinking this

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Helm? Like Darren Helm?!

Darren Helm is gonna score a big goal in the next round, and he will get a Duncan Keith contract from the Oilers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
On the one hand, good job Avs.

On the other, lmao don't gently caress this up

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Helm's series clincher came exactly 13 years after a previous series clincher against the Blackhawks in 09

EDIT: someone posted a clip in the other thread so what the hell

https://twitter.com/RyanHanaWWP/status/1530380394176163841

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

^ Darren Helm saves his goals for when they really matter.

I just watched the recording of the game and have some thoughts:

I've been really harsh about Rantanen but I feel like he's played pretty decently the last couple games. Still not scoring but he seems to actually be playing with effort and not coasting as much anymore, which is a nice change.

Burakovsky is still trash. Make him a healthy scratch again. I don't know if Newhook is actually better, he didn't really do much when he was in, but maybe try him again? Or put in any random guy you have

Kuemper is really loving concerning me right now. He seemed to play exponentially worse each of the last 3 or so games. He's been going WAY too far out of the crease to challenge shooters, leaving the net wide open for pretty much any pass at all and what the hell was that dumbass slide, 20 feet out of his net on the penalty kill?! Someone said that Mike Smith lets in an unbelievably stupid goal once every 3 games. But Kuemper's been doing that like every game lately. He needs to figure out some way to get his head straight or Avs are going to get obliterated by the Oilers

Manson has balls of steel. The fact that he not only stood in the middle of the net when Kuemper slid out of it, he ducked so that his head was blocking the top of the net. He was fully prepared to take a slap shot to the face to prevent a goal. I mean, I don't think ducking like that really let him cover more of the net than just standing there, but that was still impressive.

It was pretty ludicrous how much the refs favored the Blues with penalty calls this series. Letting them absolutely get away with murder against the Avs while also giving them powerplays for every tiny infraction possible that the Avs committed. And this game in particular. For example, they called a questionable interference penalty on the Avalanche and then allow like 6 or 7 BLATANT interferences by the Blues to go completely ignored. The ones that especially stick out in my mind are the ones where Husso clotheslined Kadri when he tried to beat out an icing call and the one where one of the Blues took a running start and tried to level Burakovsky when he was nowhere near the puck and had to dive out of the way to avoid getting seriously hurt... absolutely ridiculous. I can only hope the conference finals is called more evenly but the reffing in this series was some bullshit that needs to get called out

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 28, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

The Dirty Burger posted:

What a golden gift this season has been for ESPN, highest scoring in decades, McMatchup in the WCF

Who has the bigger advantage: McDavid against any pairing that’s not Makar-Toews or Mackinnon against Nurse, Ceci, Keith and Barrie

That new coach has the Oilers playing really well.. like they've been one of the top 5 teams in the league since he came onboard.. don't be surprised if that series turns out to be a coinflip.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

It was pretty ludicrous how much the refs favored the Blues with penalty calls this series. Letting them absolutely get away with murder against the Avs while also giving them powerplays for every tiny infraction possible that the Avs committed. And this game in particular. For example, they called a questionable interference penalty on the Avalanche and then allow like 6 or 7 BLATANT interferences by the Blues to go completely ignored.

NHL playoffs.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You can't ignore the Tommy Salo goals because he routinely lets them in. The .927 doesn't matter when he concedes a godawful goal evey 3 games

GSAx takes the godawful goals into account though. Like he ate a full -1 on the 140 foot goal because it actually had an xG of 0%.

That said I still don't trust the numbers when it comes to Mike Smith :tinfoil: And of course GSAx isn't perfect. It'll "reward" goalies for giving up bad rebounds or turning the puck over if they make the ensuing save often enough, even though they'd obviously be better goalies and allow fewer goals if they didn't do that at all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
McDavid, Draisaitl and Jack Mother loving Johnson all on the ice together in the Western Conference Final. Dreams do come true

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm curious if Manson will keep playing the way he has, we may only have to expose JMFJ to the third and fourth lines

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's moot because once he's dressed no coach can resist the siren song of big minutes for JMFJ.

e: he actually only played 9 minutes last night, and still tried to give away the whole series and very very nearly succeeded. That he's playing at all is a testament to his psychic mind control powers that for reasons only known to him he uses on coaches and not opposing players

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
never in a million years did i think there was a possibility of an 06 finals rematch this year but welp

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

never in a million years did i think there was a possibility of an 06 finals rematch this year but welp

I asked for a rematch of the 1996 finals and I think the hockey Gods misread a number.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I asked for a rematch of the 1996 finals and I think the hockey Gods misread a number.

The hockey gods are prankster gods

Anyway I still think the Rangers are going to beat the Hurricanes and clear the way for the Lightning to cruise to another Cup.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is the year we finally get Tampa and Colorado and it will be lopsided and awful and everyone will agree we never want to see it again. Then we'll get it again next year.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's so odd that the Avs played against their 2009 1st round pick (Matt Duchene) in the 1st round, 2009 2nd round pick (Ryan O'Reilly) in the 2nd round, and now will have their 2009 3rd round pick (Tyson Barrie) in the 3rd round. They didn't have a 4th round pick in 2009, so if the Avs don't make it to the finals it'll be because they don't have that draft pick to play against. That draft pick that the Avs traded wound up being David Savard who was on TBL last year but is on the Habs this year

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

DrunkPanda posted:

Burakovsky is still trash. Make him a healthy scratch again. I don't know if Newhook is actually better, he didn't really do much when he was in, but maybe try him again? Or put in any random guy you have

Newhook's performance in the game he played was markedly better than Burakovsky. Burakovsky looks pretty cooked. I'm mostly worried about JMFJ and Kuemper, but I think it is a mistake to play Burakovsky over Newy.

Also gotta give Bo credit. He's had a very, very strong past few games. I feel a little better with our chances after watching him play fairly well this week.

I'm worried about Rantanen not waking up, too. He's looked lost. His step is still there he just seems to be fractions of a second too slow in decision making and it's cost him a few goals.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fermun posted:

It's so odd that the Avs played against their 2009 1st round pick (Matt Duchene) in the 1st round, 2009 2nd round pick (Ryan O'Reilly) in the 2nd round, and now will have their 2009 3rd round pick (Tyson Barrie) in the 3rd round. They didn't have a 4th round pick in 2009, so if the Avs don't make it to the finals it'll be because they don't have that draft pick to play against. That draft pick that the Avs traded wound up being David Savard who was on TBL last year but is on the Habs this year

no 4th, their 5th has been out of hockey since retiring at the end of 2014, 6th played one final game in the ECHL in 2014-15 and it's been all Czech/Austrian/German hockey since, 7th retired at the end of 2018 and now works for Boston Consulting Group

based purely on the information contained within the quoted post and my post: Canes in 5. ez.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Do you guys think the Canes will finally win a road playoff game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Newhook's performance in the game he played was markedly better than Burakovsky. Burakovsky looks pretty cooked. I'm mostly worried about JMFJ and Kuemper, but I think it is a mistake to play Burakovsky over Newy.

Also gotta give Bo credit. He's had a very, very strong past few games. I feel a little better with our chances after watching him play fairly well this week.

I'm worried about Rantanen not waking up, too. He's looked lost. His step is still there he just seems to be fractions of a second too slow in decision making and it's cost him a few goals.

Yeah, Newhook doesn't have the 4-5 absolutely horrendous give aways leading to odd man rushes that Burakovsky seems to have every game. That alone makes him the better option.

Bo has been amazing. It's crazy that he's only 20 and Makar is only 23. But it feels pretty :cool: that we basically have our top 2 defensive pairs set for the next decade or so and it is one of if not the best top 2 defensive pairs in the league.

Makar/Toews + Byram/Manson.

Erik Johnson has been a stud this post season but he's old and injury prone, I don't expect him to last much longer in the league, wouldn't be surprised if this was his last effective season

I think Girard is a luxury we can afford to let go. I'd rather use his salary space to try to find value signings for our third pair defensive line. He's a big loss this post season, but only because we have Jack Johnson as a replacement. But I think he's too small to be really effective in the playoffs, watching him get pushed around like a toddler by Vegas last season was pretty sobering. And I'm pretty sure McDrai & Kane would do the same thing if he was healthy now.

I think if Rantanen hasn't woken up by now, he's just not going to. Whatever injury he may or may not have is no excuse. Even if he DOES have two broken arms, like I speculated on, it doesn't explain him having the skating ability of Bambi.

I hope we can trade him in the offseason, trade Girard, cut Burakovsky and maybe use that salary space to keep Kadri and sign a couple talented wingers and maybe we can keep our Cup-potential roster window open for a long time

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 28, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dude being injured seriously enough that if you worked in a warehouse you'd be parked behind a desk on light duty for two months is absolutely a valid excuse for not playing well, and is distressingly common in the playoffs. Guys playing poorly in the playoffs and then having surgery the day after their team is eliminated happens every year.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Do you guys think the Canes will finally win a road playoff game

they will win exactly 1 road playoff game en route to a Stanley cup victory

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dude being injured seriously enough that if you worked in a warehouse you'd be parked behind a desk on light duty for two months is absolutely a valid excuse for not playing well, and is distressingly common in the playoffs. Guys playing poorly in the playoffs and then having surgery the day after their team is eliminated happens every year.

Someone is gonna call OSHA on the cup finals one year and that’ll be it

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's been playing just as bad for the 20 games prior to the playoffs... If he was really injured, they would have sat him before the playoffs started to get him healthy like they did with Landeskog.

Not to mention he no-showed last playoffs against Vegas as well and there were no reports that he was playing with an injury afterwards.

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 28, 2022

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Rantanen's problems aren't like glaring, he's had a few miscues but he's also missed at least 4 goal chances due to crazy good saves or just being off the mark with elevation. I absolutely would not cut him. He was pretty solid in the playoffs last year too, with a GWG in OT if I recall correctly. He's probably hurt and his step is a bit off, which is a perfectly valid excuse and I feel for him because when he's on he's really good.

Either way Arturri has been playing really well and Valeri has been playing okay, like you said I probably call up Newhook because he isn't turning it over like Burakovsky has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Rantanen's only glaring problem right now is that he's getting pushed around too much for a guy his size. He keeps getting knocked off the puck or knocked down by guys smaller than him. Other than that he's playing fine and I like the forechecking ability of Nichushkin and Lehkonen on the same line too much to drop Rantanen down to the 2nd line, those two on the same line keeps the other team in their own zone an entire shift all the time, and LOC and Helm together have been able to do that as well as the 4th line.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1530386274317651970
I keep rewatching this. I love how MacKinnon started celebrating before Helm even shoots and how Cogliano is just jumping up and down all by himself.