Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
…damnit, Grog isn’t a pirate-themed roguelike where the hunger meter is replaced with a scurvy meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

It's nice. The gameplay is tactical, the writing smile-inducing and the development slow.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
It's already in a bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/diamond-collection-build-your-own
I picked it up yesterday, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Robot Hobo posted:

It's already in a bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/diamond-collection-build-your-own
Huh. MGS5, Shenmue 3, Superhot, Metro, what a strange collection of games. I mean, it's a good bundle, just really weird selection of genres.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Hm, I've wanted Ember for a while. Maybe I'll grab those two and...something.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I like it. Combat reminds me a bit of Hoplite, with a set of basic moves that you get modifiers on, but expanded out substantially. It's a slow game though; a floor or medium length dungeon is like 15 encounters which can each take a while once the difficulty starts ramping up. There's a lot of tactical decisions to be made due to the combination of per-encounter conditions and per-turn conditions making you need to reassess at least a little bit each turn.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Huh. MGS5, Shenmue 3, Superhot, Metro, what a strange collection of games. I mean, it's a good bundle, just really weird selection of genres.

Fanatical bundles be like that. they've been knocking it out of the park these past few months to be honest, making Humble look bad

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Is it? I don't see it but I'm on mobile and always have problems with the site on my phone.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Revita: I'm at 5 shards unlocked now but don't really want to find out the puzzle stuff myself to progress, are there any guides?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RPS loved it
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/unexplored-2-the-wayfarers-legacy-review
PC Gamer not so much
https://www.pcgamer.com/unexplored-2-review/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FrickenMoron posted:

Revita: I'm at 5 shards unlocked now but don't really want to find out the puzzle stuff myself to progress, are there any guides?

It was a pain at launch but now it's a lot easier, you just have to do a run visiting both alternate stages and the crystalline doors in each one will open for you now that you're on shard 5. Each one gives you a key piece if you meet a special requirement hinted at in the room. The one in alternate world 2 requires you to be at full HP (amount of max HP doesn't matter as long as you have at least 1), and the one in alternate world 4 requires having current HP of 1 or less (again, max HP doesn't matter). You need to pick up both pieces in the same run. With the complete key you can now open the locked door in ticking towertop, which triggers the true final stage and final boss. The door stays unlocked for future runs and you don't have to do the key requirements again.

edit: after you've done that, there's a slightly more convoluted event chain that you can read about here -- it's not as impactful as the key fragment thing but it's worth doing at least once. It unlocks an alternate "endless" ending for your runs, that drops you into a series of infinitely scaling random levels kind of like Spelunky 2's Cosmic Ocean if you're familiar with that. There are a few unlocks for reaching it for the first time but it's mostly just for fun

goferchan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 26, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i stopped reading PC Gamer because they seemed like super obvious shills for stuff, did that change or was i thinking of another PC Game magazine?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I actually have no idea how to access the alternative stage 4. I wish games were less obtuse about this stuff, I didn't like this in Isaac and I dont appreciate it here.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

FrickenMoron posted:

I actually have no idea how to access the alternative stage 4. I wish games were less obtuse about this stuff, I didn't like this in Isaac and I dont appreciate it here.

Give the two ice statues in stage 3 shields to hold

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

precision posted:

i stopped reading PC Gamer because they seemed like super obvious shills for stuff, did that change or was i thinking of another PC Game magazine?

No idea, but here i see their average score is 75%
https://opencritic.com/outlet/162/pc-gamer?sort=score-high

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

i was afraid this would happen and it's a shame! Unexplored 1 had way too many bugs and proc gen issues

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Personally I love Unexplored and still play it, but lets face it: its a wholesale ripoff of brogue. Its real time brogue. The team was able to translate a game where you need every stick and rock you can find off the ground from turn based to real time and add some other cool stuff.

I've seen videos of the sequel and it just does not look engaging to me.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

goferchan posted:

It was a pain at launch but now it's a lot easier, you just have to do a run visiting both alternate stages and the crystalline doors in each one will open for you now that you're on shard 5. Each one gives you a key piece if you meet a special requirement hinted at in the room. The one in alternate world 2 requires you to be at full HP (amount of max HP doesn't matter as long as you have at least 1), and the one in alternate world 4 requires having current HP of 1 or less (again, max HP doesn't matter). You need to pick up both pieces in the same run. With the complete key you can now open the locked door in ticking towertop, which triggers the true final stage and final boss. The door stays unlocked for future runs and you don't have to do the key requirements again.

Worth noting that if you pick up the first part of the key in the Hollow Hives, the following alt area will always be unlocked. Helpful if you want to chase unlocks without having to pay the 2 shield tax. The area I find infinitely more annoying than the regular zone, but it's worth doing if you want to grab all the unlocks.

Speaking of secret zones, is there a special pre-requisite for the soul room in The Last Refuge to spawn? And what does it do? I had an Acceptance soul I wanted to cash in but didn't find it on that run.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RoboCicero posted:

Speaking of secret zones, is there a special pre-requisite for the soul room in The Last Refuge to spawn? And what does it do? I had an Acceptance soul I wanted to cash in but didn't find it on that run.

I think it appears on every run as an extra third secret room, like the mirror room in the ice world. If you bring him a soul from every boss (you can do this across multiple runs & there's not one from Mother so don't need to worry about her) you permanently unlock the ability to loop runs, which has a couple of its own unlockables hidden behind it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thinking of snagging Soulash, but the Steam page says nothing about procedural generation. Is it procedurally generated or just a fixed world/map?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
A tip for avoiding my awful first impression of Soulash:
Crafting is obvious, important, and fairly simple. It'll let you make waterskins, butcher animals for food, and craft more arrows if you're a bow-user. For butchering corpses and some crafting recipes you'll need a cutting tool - daggers and shortswords don't count. You'll need a stone knife, which is easy to make. Can you spot the stone in the image below? If it's not in your cone of vision, the sprite will disappear from the map, so stay sharp!

They're pretty common and easy enough to spot once you *actually* know what you're looking for, but my initial first impression was a lot like very early dungeon crawl stone soup, where you'd starve if you weren't lucky enough to find a knife. Problem is, the crafting recipe doesn't give you a picture of the raw resource, so you're looking for something MUCH more obvious, if you've played any other survival game. I presume it was also easier to notice before the dev added sprites and was just using ascii.

P.S. I've started in three different locations so far. One human village, one mountain tomb right next to a gnome village, and some different location I haven't explored yet in order to get the above screenshot. Haven't survived to exp level two yet, so I'm not sure if it's procgen or just random start locations.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I made it to the capital on one run, and it seems the general world structure is fixed. I didn't play enough runs to know if the POIs are generated, though.

I did not like Soulash though. A non-exhaustive list of things I didn't like:
-For a game that is supposed to make me feel like the bad guy, I sure felt like a regular fucko. Nobody runs from you except traveling merchants, so you can be decked out in plate swinging a big rear end axe and peasants will run up to you shouting their canned lines. You get barely any rewards from the chaff too, so rather than a nice relaxing one-sided slaughter it just feels tedious.
-There's also such a small weight limit that you need to create stockpiles for crafting beyond basic survival stuff, and there's fixed crafting benches, but you can't autopath anywhere.
-There's a lot of wait to heal but for some reason the fast forward during wait is actually really loving slow? A long rest-to-heal could take a real life minute of just staring at the screen.
-Water and food are both completely obsoleted as interesting needs by the time you're level 4 or so, but you still gotta manually drink and eat regularly forever.
-There's also not enough tactical decisions in general but especially in the early game which is always the most repeated part of a roguelike, so on the prospect of starting over after my long run I just played something else.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 27, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've liked the 2 hours of Unexplored 2 I've played but I can't imagine playing it for however many heroes it wants me to go through. I know this is the roguelike thread but I guess my main problem with the game is that it's procedurally-generated instead of being hand-crafted, and it doesn't give you nearly enough interesting things to do and see to compensate for that. It worked in Unexplored 1 because the game didn't have any ambition of having a story, it was a fancy looking realtime roguelike.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I love it when I find goon stuff out in the wild. Vinny from Vinesauce posted a 2 hour video of Slice & Dice gameplay and it looks like it was well received. As it should, it's a cool rear end game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Children of Morta is a cool roguelite but the slow as gently caress unskippable narrator is annoying as hell.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kawabata posted:

Children of Morta is a cool roguelite but the slow as gently caress unskippable narrator is annoying as hell.

I found the gameplay kinda tedious as well. Just endless waves of trash enemies that you left click until your finger falls off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah I found the gameplay in Morta to be awful too. The combat is incredibly mashy and tedious and the stages start ballooning into gigantic ridiculous fuckoff mazes that you'll run around in for half an hour trying to find where the hell you're supposed to go. It started to remind me of trying to find your way through Act 3 in Diablo 2 without a maphack.

A shame, because the game is quite pretty and the whole "family of adventurers that all participate" is a neat hook that reminded me of Legacy of the Wizard.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Kanos posted:

Yeah I found the gameplay in Morta to be awful too. The combat is incredibly mashy and tedious and the stages start ballooning into gigantic ridiculous fuckoff mazes that you'll run around in for half an hour trying to find where the hell you're supposed to go. It started to remind me of trying to find your way through Act 3 in Diablo 2 without a maphack.

A shame, because the game is quite pretty and the whole "family of adventurers that all participate" is a neat hook that reminded me of Legacy of the Wizard.

Yeah, I think the game directly lists Legacy of the Wizard as an inspiration. It's a shame too, because while I love the concept, so much of it fell just short for me.

The art is amazing, but it kinda creates the issue that it's so noisy it requires the characters to be in this sort of different un-lined style and that it makes finding stuff like breakable pots and whatnot very hard at times. The disparity isn't awful, but it always kind of bugged me slightly.

I found some of the combat enjoyable, but the difficulty just skyrocketing after the first region snuffed that out. Endless hallways of agitating traps filled with long, and oftentimes not particularly fun fights, just to die to something unsatisfying along the way just to repeat the process again. I'm no stranger to difficult action combat, but nothing past the spider cave felt even remotely fair.

I personally liked the narrator, but a skip button is usually a good thing to have.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Odd Wilson posted:

Yeah, I think the game directly lists Legacy of the Wizard as an inspiration.

Kanos posted:

The combat is incredibly mashy and tedious and the stages start ballooning into gigantic ridiculous fuckoff mazes that you'll run around in for half an hour trying to find where the hell you're supposed to go.

Mission accomplished I guess :confuoot:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Won my first run of Star Renegades after picking it up from this thread! I liked the gameplay and stagger system though I wish there was a better way to see what enemies were doing other than using the trigger and moving between them individually. Also, Saboteur seems busted compared to some other classes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: ops!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 29, 2022

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I played like 40 hours of Star Renegades right when it came out in EA and then haven't touched it since, but I remember being able to make a LOT of teams that could get real strong, with or without any character in particular, though I don't remember too many of the details. The sniper and a couple of the tanky characters, if you get the right items on them, can carry in ways you wouldn't expect, mostly because a lot of the itemization let's you get very min maxy.

Unfortunately when I tried booting it up on my shiny new steam deck it made the fans go crazy, so I haven't got back into it the way I thought I would when people started talking about it in this thread. I really enjoyed it back when it first launched, and told myself I'd play it again when it came out in EA, but it just never happened.

I did finally get into Jupiter Hell, as that was one of several games I didn't want to play while sitting at a computer and wouldn't let myself buy til the steam deck arrived. It's good! I've spent a LOT of time just staring at the talents trying to remember what everything is. Would be really nice if there was some way to tag or mark the skills you care about (in that run) so you can semi plan a build at once instead of trying to remember what the hell you were doing every time you level. So far I don't really know what I am doing, but I've been messing around on easy to get a handle on what kind of systems are going on in the game and I've still died a bunch. The last one was actually against the final boss, due to me accidentally hitting the shoot button twice instead of once. Still mad tbh.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

In fact here it's where I say that while I appreciate how ambitious was the author, he went too far. The objective they give you are super vague, and your journal won't write down any new developments in your progress within them, only the initial sentence appear. So there are times where you literally have to remember what a npc or book said, even if you last played two weeks ago. The maps are so big that the automap really needs some kind of auto annotation system, where is pointed where different special locations and npcs were, the last thing I did in the game was to go to places I had been before (a little garden with a brain-in-a-jar npc, and a graveyard) and I needed half an hour to even find the locations, ugh. And some of the riddles... this is very 90s rpg poo poo.
In other words, I'm stuck right now, without clear clues (I think I have to enchant a true sight pendant, but no idea how, also I need to make a statue of myself, I was proud of already finding two special rocks to give to the craftsman, then the fucker asked em for seven. Seven?!). I'm not sure I have the willpower to continue. I may uninstall.

I think this post belongs in the Early FPS thread because Hedon is not in any sense a roguelike. :P

That said -- the journal not updating at all may be a bug; on mine I definitely wished for more detailed updates but it did give me some additional information about each objective as I uncovered it. It definitely doesn't record everything, though.

The map does have an annotation system, which the game tells you about, but it's very limited -- press the "mark map" button and it'll put a number where you're standing and that's it. The game desperately needs a UUW-style "click on the map and leave typed notes wherever" feature. Some care is taken with the level design to make sure that some locations (like the Primarch altars) stand out on the minimap, but there's a lot of important but unmarked stuff. I ended up sketching rough maps on paper with points of interest marked.

For the truesight pendant, there's two, Truesight (Rebel) and Truesight (Servant). If you've talked to the sculptor you already have the rebel version, and are looking for the servant version to access Yzbeth's inner quarters.
You get the unattuned truesight pendant you need to make it from the Primarch of Greed's vault. If you haven't already been there, focus on meeting that Primarch first. If you've already gotten that primarch's approval you should have looted the vault in the process and have the pendant already.
To attune the pendant, interact with the brain on a spike in the garden outside Yzbeth's cottage. There's some scrolls/books/something pointing you in that direction, although I forget where.

For the statue of yourself, you find most of the rocks you need in the salt mines (the area with the Primarch of Treachery in it). There's a few extras, IIRC, so you don't need to make a clean sweep of it. This walkthrough has locations for all of them including annotated maps.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I think this post belongs in the Early FPS thread because Hedon is not in any sense a roguelike. :P

Holy poo poo, yes, wrong forum :P

edit: ok, solved it. My real problem was not having a magic scroll, which I didn't have because I hadn't noticed I could solve already the puzzle with the four oil altars. Because I ha forgotten there was a place where you can take oil with the chalice.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 29, 2022

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Any general tips for the Last Spell?

My priorities usually go something like this:
- Get workers, smash ruins for gold for more housing & scavenger's huts.
- Get 1 mana pool & upgrade benediction to it to keep your mana hungriest guys topped up.
- Get 3 scavengers going early to maximize materials, add a gold mine or two if you can. Also buy some mana pots if any are around.
- Build the biggest walls you can & ballistas behind them
- get inn & max out the number of heroes

But it isn't working at all; I can get to the 4-3th last day in Lakeburg and get swarmed so goddamn hard it seems absurd to beat even with metaprogression (let alone without it). There's so many mobs that I can pump out almost solely skills that hit 6 enemies every turn, and even then I have 100+ running in after my walls are long gone.

I tend to prioritize ranged heroes from inns (melee ones feel like they require a lot of armor to be effective, while ranged just needs a bow). Last time I had 1 armored melee (spear), 1 caster (spamming the chain lightning-spell) and 4 bow guys.

Are ballistas & catapults (usually I go with just ballistas) a trap? Feels like their damage drops off by a lot, and you could get something like a second row of walls instead. I usually prioritize scavengers over gold mines so I can top up walls & ballistas, and gold mines sound like they take time before they've even paid their own construction cost back; I should prolly try the other way around.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dropbear posted:

Any general tips for the Last Spell?

My priorities usually go something like this:
- Get workers, smash ruins for gold for more housing & scavenger's huts.
- Get 1 mana pool & upgrade benediction to it to keep your mana hungriest guys topped up.
- Get 3 scavengers going early to maximize materials, add a gold mine or two if you can. Also buy some mana pots if any are around.
- Build the biggest walls you can & ballistas behind them
- get inn & max out the number of heroes

But it isn't working at all; I can get to the 4-3th last day in Lakeburg and get swarmed so goddamn hard it seems absurd to beat even with metaprogression (let alone without it). There's so many mobs that I can pump out almost solely skills that hit 6 enemies every turn, and even then I have 100+ running in after my walls are long gone.

I tend to prioritize ranged heroes from inns (melee ones feel like they require a lot of armor to be effective, while ranged just needs a bow). Last time I had 1 armored melee (spear), 1 caster (spamming the chain lightning-spell) and 4 bow guys.

Are ballistas & catapults (usually I go with just ballistas) a trap? Feels like their damage drops off by a lot, and you could get something like a second row of walls instead. I usually prioritize scavengers over gold mines so I can top up walls & ballistas, and gold mines sound like they take time before they've even paid their own construction cost back; I should prolly try the other way around.

I have not gotten any farther than you, but it does kinda seem like ballistas are a trap unless you can churn a shitton of them. Killing one mob per turn (or sometimes not even killing it) does not seem worth it. Over the entire night that's like what, 6-7 enemies dead? Which is equivalent to a single big attack. You can get a lot more value out of a single +1 ap accessory. So yeah, it seems like slowing enemies down is much more important. They will always stop at the nearest barricade, so even with the lovely cheap ones you can buy yourself an extra turn or two before the zombos overrun your city.

Traps might also be more worthwhile, if you place them within your walls you have a chance of again buying yourself some time once the mobs start breaching.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Re: The Last Spell.

An excuse to post my last run on the beta branch: (sorry for bragging)

(Deads are because of friendly fire on night 9 and underestimating the crazy reworked boss fight on night 10.)

Dropbear posted:

I think this is likely your biggest issue. Obviously difficult to tell, but what you write here is a bit weird to me.
- It's weird that you only mention 1 weapon (i.e. spear). There are very few weapons that can run the specialised perk and spear is certainly not one of them. Most weapons require swapping.
- Both short and long bows are actually quite tricky. Not sure how to explain, but they rely more on debuffing and on isolation/opportunism bonuses which make them difficult to use. To be honest, I tend not to use short or long bows until the 5th or 6th hero because they struggle holding a flank by themselves.
- It's actually surprisingly easy to make heroes invincible, you just need to focus on one aspect. I've had dodge tanks, block/resistance tanks, and vampire/meatbag tanks. It just depends a bit on perks and items. The problem: this is not possible the first nights and you'll need to rely a bit more on positioning. But after you have some items it should be okay as long as you have sufficient mobility.
- Which weapon to use depends extremely on which perks you have available to you. It'd be a bit surprising if you have 4 heroes that all roll perfect perks for bows. I'd be interested in your perk (+weapon) choices: it wouldn't surprise me if some heroes would have had more potential with another weapon.

Again: difficult to really give good advice here. Feel free to post some heroes (especially perk choices) and I'll try to explain how I'd build them.

Dropbear posted:

In my last run I honestly spent 95% of my stone on ballistas, I didn't even fill in the gaps between the pre-built walls before night 9. The trick with ballistas is that the more you have the better they are. It's way better to have one group of 4 ballista's together than to have one in each corner, because the ballista's will protect each other. If there is a wave coming from two sides when I still have 3 heroes then I'll put all new ballistas on one side where I'll defend with 1 hero, and none on the side that I'll defend with the other 2. The reason why I dislike spending on walls is that repairing them costs stone, while groups of ballista's should never need repair. That said, this probably only works because I prioritise the Seer extremely early and I'm still not sure it's optimal because I never tried other strategies (I don't even have mines unlocked).

I also never built a single scavenger camp in any run I did. I just assumed they're useless, but again, not sure here either.

My build order:
- day 1: get to 6 or 7 workers + buy a second weapon for every hero at the shop. (unless lucky with the night drop)
- day 2: get to 10 workers + mana pool + check shop for items (mostly +1AP items/potions). Can't remember if I built (and upgraded) the gold mine here or the next day.
- day 3: seer + armor maker.
- day 4: If necessary: inn + 4th hero. If not and on the beta branch: buy the shared upgrades + start building other production afterwards buildings. In the old version: instead of buying production buildings you're better off upgrading the shop. I think this depends a bit on how it's going so far.
- day 5: whatever you didn't do on day 4.
- rest: upgrade stuff and buy from the shop a lot.
Not sure this is optimal either. I think the base building is much less important than the hero building and the tactics during the night.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 29, 2022

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Walh Hara posted:

Re: The Last Spell.

An excuse to post my last run on the beta branch: (sorry for bragging)

(Deads are because of friendly fire on night 9 and underestimating the crazy reworked boss fight on night 10.)

I think this is likely your biggest issue. Obviously difficult to tell, but what you write here is a bit weird to me.
- It's weird that you only mention 1 weapon (i.e. spear). There are very few weapons that can run the specialised perk and spear is certainly not one of them. Most weapons require swapping.
- Both short and long bows are actually quite tricky. Not sure how to explain, but they rely more on debuffing and on isolation/opportunism bonuses which make them difficult to use. To be honest, I tend not to use short or long bows until the 5th or 6th hero because they struggle holding a flank by themselves.
- It's actually surprisingly easy to make heroes invincible, you just need to focus on one aspect. I've had dodge tanks, block/resistance tanks, and vampire/meatbag tanks. It just depends a bit on perks and items. The problem: this is not possible the first nights and you'll need to rely a bit more on positioning. But after you have some items it should be okay as long as you have sufficient mobility.
- Which weapon to use depends extremely on which perks you have available to you. It'd be a bit surprising if you have 4 heroes that all roll perfect perks for bows. I'd be interested in your perk (+weapon) choices: it wouldn't surprise me if some heroes would have had more potential with another weapon.

Thanks! You're probably right; I don't really know the ins and outs of the perk system, character builds etc. yet so I've tried making very generalized characters. Don't remember the exact perk choices, but I veered many ranged chars towards the "bonus when away from other characters" + crit and glass cannon + move speed when available to sprint between the sides when needed and mostly spammed the huge AoEs (I had decent luck with bows on the night rewards / store too). The guy I mentioned earlier who did Lakeburg on the first attempt had almost everybody just using shortbows, if I remember right.

For the spear guy I didn't really know what benefit I'd get from a second weapon (besides the obvious +bonuses) so I pretty much had whatever I had laying around there. The char was built for armor and stuff didn't really hurt him besides the last few days (when they straight up murdered him if left alone despite picking a ton of +armor), so spear seemed to do alright damage & had armor piercing while holding up the line. I mean, you don't get extra AP or anything from having a second weapon, so what would be the benefit? I guess hammers could hit more dudes at once, though, but never found a good one.

But yeah, probably too generalized & focused too much on the building instead of perfecting the dudes' builds. Cheers!

EDIT: I also had a lot of ballistas, but with stone walls I had to get the elevated ones so I couldn't fill every spot like on the earlier map, and the damage falloff was so bad they barely seemed to do anything in the later nights.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 29, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the Risk of Rain 2 expansion? I've been playing a lot of ROR2 again lately and figured more would be better but I saw some reviews saying the game is worse with the DLC because the enemies are dumb and bad or something. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

explosivo posted:

How's the Risk of Rain 2 expansion? I've been playing a lot of ROR2 again lately and figured more would be better but I saw some reviews saying the game is worse with the DLC because the enemies are dumb and bad or something. Any thoughts?

Yeah it's a mixed bag imo. The new tier of items are pretty nice and fit well into the base game. The new survivors and levels are also great. Problem is the new enemies are annoying and the alternate final boss is incredibly tedious (and I kinda like the Mithrix fight soo). Still worth it overall to me, but your milage may vary