Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Shumagorath posted:

the little block on the back is illegal throughout the entire continent

What is that thing, a switch so it can fire cyclic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i have to wonder how much of the "flood of illegal guns" in toronto is just it probably being very easy to get poo poo across the border from the US for big money. we're dragged down by their poo poo.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ban all semi autos this time

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Mister Speaker posted:

What is that thing, a switch so it can fire cyclic?

Yes, makes it fire fully automatic.

and I believe the government won't ban semi-autos as they need a wedge issue to campaign on next election season. Solving gun violence by banning a category of guns means they can't promise to ban more guns to fix it anymore. See the tepid C-71, C-21, the delayed May 1 OiC and the deferred Firearms marking regulations (deferred by the LPC and CPC since 2006a total of 12 times I believe)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arivia posted:

i have to wonder how much of the "flood of illegal guns" in toronto is just it probably being very easy to get poo poo across the border from the US for big money. we're dragged down by their poo poo.
It's 100% this. A couple weeks back they found a drone laden with prohibited handguns snagged on a tree near the border. Makes you wonder how many didn't get caught.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

A drone?! Holy poo poo it is astounding what those things can do

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ban all semi autos this time

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
They'll never do this. There are lots and lots of Non-Restricted rifles and shotguns with semi-auto actions out there that people would just sit on until they wound up on the street. If you want to solve this problem, start with UBI and reforming your federal police force into something that isn't completely incompetent.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 28, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah those shotguns are pretty effective in tight spaces with narrows hallways and easy to saw off to make even more effective and easy to conceal. The rifles are trivial to find or make extended mags for and be just as effective as the firearm used in Texas. Handguns have one use case, and its killing people. All semi auto actions

Ban them all, if you want to hunt deer git gud and do it in one shot. If the argument is, oh people won't listen, ok fine then, why make any laws, just let psychos endlessly mow down people at schools and places of worship, gently caress it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

It's 100% this. A couple weeks back they found a drone laden with prohibited handguns snagged on a tree near the border. Makes you wonder how many didn't get caught.

Alright, I guess we'll just need to ban all firearms and drones too just to be safe.

Obviously, drones with mounted handguns* will be quadruply illegal.

*I think I first saw a video with one a decade ago or so so I assume YouTube is crawling with copycats by now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

If the argument is, oh people won't listen, ok fine then, why make any laws, just let psychos endlessly mow down people at schools and places of worship, gently caress it.

Ah, the COVID strategy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah those shotguns are pretty effective in tight spaces with narrows hallways and easy to saw off to make even more effective and easy to conceal. The rifles are trivial to find or make extended mags for and be just as effective as the firearm used in Texas. Handguns have one use case, and its killing people. All semi auto actions

Ban them all, if you want to hunt deer git gud and do it in one shot. If the argument is, oh people won't listen, ok fine then, why make any laws, just let psychos endlessly mow down people at schools and places of worship, gently caress it.

Arivia posted:

Oh, and the Portapique shooter's guns? All illegal from a friend of his in the States, and the local RCMP went full Ostrich when people gave them ample warning. This isn't something we can ban our way out of.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 28, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That measures to limit the amount of firearms available to the public can't be effective in limiting the amount of firearms used to commit offences is something you can only believe if you've fantasized more than once about loving your favorite gun

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ban smoking?? Everyone smokes! They're addicted to it!! You expect them to stop because some LAW discourages them from it??

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

That measures to limit the amount of firearms available to the public can't be effective in limiting the amount of firearms used to commit offences is something you can only believe if you've fantasized more than once about loving your favorite gun
e: nevermind :rolleyes:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 28, 2022

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I mean at some point you should probably start enforcing the laws you already have instead of just making new ones.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya but then they'd actually be spending resources fixing a problem rather than lining their own pockets while pandering to idiots and that's not the Liberal way.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A fantastic thread from an Aussie that explains why there are so few massacres in their country, and it's not because John Howard personally beat them all into ploughshares

https://twitter.com/Ozwobbly/status/1529707397916160000

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arivia posted:

Exactly, doesn’t mean it’s not worth banning them here but it doesn’t mean much when a porous border is the only thing between us and 42% of the worlds civilian arsenal. Both Canada and Mexico (to a much greater extent) have paid the price for the US letting their defense industry go retail. Even if they banned guns tomorrow it’ll take generations to get to a point where the supply is low enough that we don’t have to worry about mass shootings. Depressing as hell to think about.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

A fantastic thread from an Aussie that explains why there are so few massacres in their country, and it's not because John Howard personally beat them all into ploughshares

people won't listen to any of those laws, so don't bother

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

flakeloaf posted:

They also go over how this can't last due to cultural drift, etc. Laws require enforcement on some level and cops everywhere are not great at that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That thread is mostly ok, but this particular talking point is getting really tired and tiresome:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ozwobbly/status/1529707534679830529

I'd need a lot more convincing to believe that law-abiding firearm owners are holding police in check (they're not l, because nobody is, they basically always get what they want and have no meaningful controls or oversight).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah I can get on board with a decent amount of stuff there, but it's also a bit of tired arguments.

Obviously yes, there should be many hoops to obtaining a gun and the storage rules are very important, but we can also ban guns too right. Like, we can do both things simultaneously, it's fine.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Won't somebody think of the poor cops

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Gun people are the loving worst people. Can we start by banning them from this thread

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hobby shooting and hunting with firearms are allowed in countries with much stricter gun control than Canada, like Japan or South Korea; moaning about the poor hobbyist or the subsistence hunter is untethered from reality when it comes to implementing stricter gun control.

Yes, it's very hard to get a gun in those countries, and their use is severely restricted. Good. I like the look of Japan's 0.02 deaths per 100,000 people due to firearms, and if you really, really want a gun, you can still have one provided you're willing to put in the work.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

linoleum floors posted:

Gun people are the loving worst people. Can we start by banning them from this thread

Anyone who pipes up to um-actually about clips, “assault rifles” or other gun nerd poo poo needs to be shoved into a locker for the rest of eternity.

Sometimes I think society just doesn’t bully the right hobbies enough.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This is the part in that thread that lost me:

https://twitter.com/Ozwobbly/status/1529707424575148033

Weren't most of the mass shootings recently done with people who obtained the guns themselves legally, or had someone buy the firearms with the explicit intention of giving them to the shooter? This really reads like it's someone trying to deflect blame from how easy it is to obtain firearms than as an actual criticism. And then the thing spirals into a whole "But then only police would have guns!!!" argument where... if you took the firearms away from the people, then standard police wouldn't have a reason to carry firearms regularly anyways, and you can start focusing more on "De-escalation tactics" over "Well, we thought they might have been within 500 feet of a firearm at some point in the last decade, so we had to shoot them for our safety".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Randalor posted:

Weren't most of the mass shootings recently done with people who obtained the guns themselves legally, or had someone buy the firearms with the explicit intention of giving them to the shooter? This really reads like it's someone trying to deflect blame from how easy it is to obtain firearms than as an actual criticism. And then the thing spirals into a whole "But then only police would have guns!!!" argument where... if you took the firearms away from the people, then standard police wouldn't have a reason to carry firearms regularly anyways, and you can start focusing more on "De-escalation tactics" over "Well, we thought they might have been within 500 feet of a firearm at some point in the last decade, so we had to shoot them for our safety".
Any time someone brings that up or pushes back against their arguments, that person just replies with “mass shooting are extremely complicated events”

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone who pipes up to um-actually about clips, “assault rifles” or other gun nerd poo poo needs to be shoved into a locker for the rest of eternity.

Sometimes I think society just doesn’t bully the right hobbies enough.

That's because we stopped bullying people in general :clint:

linoleum floors posted:

Bans all Gans TIA ;)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

I think part of it is that transportation rules like Australia and Canada help reinforce a different type of gun culture. We have guns, but they aren’t a part of everyday life for the vast majority of non-rural people.

I dunno, I think the guy is just trying to get at why countries like Canada and Australia can have so many guns but so many fewer mass shooting events. It’s not because we’re better people, so there must be something else.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://twitter.com/panagis21/status/1529506982885044226

Maybe if we keep not banning guns, we can make gun violence the number one killer of children here too!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jordan7hm posted:

I think part of it is that transportation rules like Australia and Canada help reinforce a different type of gun culture. We have guns, but they aren’t a part of everyday life for the vast majority of non-rural people.

I dunno, I think the guy is just trying to get at why countries like Canada and Australia can have so many guns but so many fewer mass shooting events. It’s not because we’re better people, so there must be something else.

The culture is exactly the problem, but transportation and storage laws are insufficient steps for such a colossal issue.

Ban all semi-autos is a much better policy (but of course good luck getting that past this Senate or Supreme Court)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/panagis21/status/1529506982885044226

Maybe if we keep not banning guns, we can make gun violence the number one killer of children here too!

I think the other fun takeaway from charts like these is, what caused the massive downturn in motor vehicle crash fatalities?

Could it have been... regulations?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mister Speaker posted:

While we’re regulating things to reduce unnecessary deaths, maybe a well regulated (and cheap/free) recreational drug supply would reduce the number of overdose deaths.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PittTheElder posted:

The culture is exactly the problem, but transportation and storage laws are insufficient steps for such a colossal issue.

Ban all semi-autos is a much better policy (but of course good luck getting that past this Senate or Supreme Court)

No, the transportation and storage laws we have here are a major part of the differing cultures around guns.

It's really hard to explain but in Canada and other countries with high ownership all the rules around storage, transportation and usage helps reinforce that gun ownership is a privilege, not a right.

In the US it's totally hosed, you don't even need to get a license, let alone take a course.

The Liberal gun laws are basically a microcosm of the party itself in that they are all very technically complicated, solves the wrong problem and have like a million loopholes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

It just occurred to me I have spent my entire life being bombarded by Conservatives and their associated media that red tape and regulation are always bad for anything and everything.

How do you even begin to combat that kind of programming that a whole generation has been subjected to?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
As an example the May 1 OiC made after the Portapique shootings, made it illegal to transfer, acquire, possess certain newly prohibited firearms. It also made it illegal to transport the newly prohibited firearms with no exceptions.

This made it so anyone who possessed a newly prohibited firearm that moved/changed their address from May 1 2020 until April 2022 was breaking the law, and it isn't a mens rea offense. The LPC also didn't consider it important enough to change the amnesty until it almost expired in April 2022, where it cast shade at gun owners blaming them for not handing in prohibited firearms. When the official government messaging is to wait for a gun buyback program.

The LPC is awful at writing gun laws, and when they do they rather make it sound good than actually do anything.

Furnaceface posted:

It just occurred to me I have spent my entire life being bombarded by Conservatives and their associated media that red tape and regulation are always bad for anything and everything.

How do you even begin to combat that kind of programming that a whole generation has been subjected to?

Some regulations are poo poo, but some are necessary. I can pontificate a lot about how there's a lot of excessive red tape and regulations for some aspects of gun law done purely for optics and not because they actually do anything beyond waste everyone's time and money. ATT's, license renewals, and the FRT are some of them.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 28, 2022

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Wasting people's time and money with guns is Good because it discourages people from getting guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Alctel posted:

No, the transportation and storage laws we have here are a major part of the differing cultures around guns.

It's really hard to explain but in Canada and other countries with high ownership all the rules around storage, transportation and usage helps reinforce that gun ownership is a privilege, not a right.

In the US it's totally hosed, you don't even need to get a license, let alone take a course.

The Liberal gun laws are basically a microcosm of the party itself in that they are all very technically complicated, solves the wrong problem and have like a million loopholes

I've tried to bring up how things like storage regulations are such a low stakes "concession" that massively improve public safety, but apparently that's still a bridge too far because it's classist/racist to expect people to be able to afford some kind of lockbox for a piece of equipment that already costs at least a hundred bucks.

Thing is, First Nations communities here seem to be a-ok with safe storage laws, to the point where there are communities that run their own voluntary storage programs that go above and beyond what's required by law. I don't know what it's like in other provinces but I wouldn't be surprised to see it being a thing elsewhere, and from the study that was done on it everyone was happy with how it turned out.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2012/jus/J3-7-1998-7-eng.pdf

quote:

• All of the programs involve storing firearms in a secure location when they are not being used for hunting. Two of the programs (God’s River and Mathias Colomb) are administered by the Band, while the remaining two are administered by the local RCMP. All of the programs are voluntary; in Shamattawa, community members are strongly encouraged to use it, and the Chief and Council have passed a Band Council Resolution to that effect.

• Rates of use of central storage vary among the communities, with the highest rate found in Shamattawa, where 91% of firearm owners reported that they use the program. All of the respondents believed that central storage has benefits to the community including the reduction of firearm offences, reduction of accidents, and increased safety of children. All of the programs were started with minimal cost, and were reported to have had immediate and substantial benefits for the peace and security of the community.

These completely voluntary programs cost way less than whatever the upcoming compensated confiscation will cost, and resulted in actual improvements in community safety. I have my issues with how firearm regulation is done, but it's definitely possible for legislation to exist that both increases public safety while also involving buy-in from firearm owners/users if it's not simply treated as a wedge issue to drive voters every couple of years. It's the people who think that any and all policy outside of complete deregulation until all "root causes" are fixed first are the ones who should get the side-eye, in my experience.

Another interesting side effect of the way the PAL system works is how much easier it is to actually buy firearms online compared to the US. Because of how having a license is a basic check that you're probably not going to go out and do crimes, all a seller needs to do is check my ID and we're good to go, none of this stuff involving FFLs and paying transfer fees.