Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but it's a weird issue. Does anybody have any idea why a dealership would replace the OBD port with a non-standard port on a brand new vehicle before selling it? I took my '21 Chevrolet Silverado in for service today, which I bought new, and the techs can't even connect a scanner to it because the port is a weird shape. Like, of all parts, why modify the OBD port into a different shape? This just seems bizarre, and the dealership I bought it from is on the other side of the country.
Edit: just figured it out, there was a GPS tracker installed on the truck by the dealer, loving yikes

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bergeoisie posted:

Apologies if there's a better thread for this.

I like cars, but am not SUPER into cars. My wife wants to buy me a open road supercar tour for a present which seems potentially super cool, but I am worried that I will die a fiery death. I'm not a reckless driver by any means (no accidents in the last 16 years) but my fast car experience tops out at a 380HP fake M BMW. Will I be cool? Or should I see if I can do a training course on a track first instead?

Most modern supercars, and presumably anything that would be used in a supercar tour rental fleet, generally have very good electronic control systems that can save your rear end in most cases and in some cases even make you look like a driving hero.

Don't turn those systems off.

Beyond that, just remember that physics still apply. The electronics will let you make use of as much of the traction offered by the tires as possible, but if you try to take a 30 MPH turn at 100 you're going to have a bad time regardless.

It may just be selection bias for when things tend to be filmed, but almost all of the rental supercar crashes I've seen have involved someone ignoring one or both of the above points.

Reputable supercar tour companies have an interest in people not crashing their cars and don't want to be known as a nuisance in the areas they run, so I'd expect them to be offering reasonable guidance for their clients as well.

If you understand the basic concepts of driving and aren't an impulsive moron you're probably in the top half of the group already.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 25, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wolrah posted:

If you understand the basic concepts of driving and aren't an impulsive moron you're probably in the top half of the group already.

This is 100% correct. Performance cars are a ton of fun, but they'll only go as fast as you tell them to. It sounds like you know how to take it easy and enjoy the drive, and maybe as you get more comfortable you'll step on the giggle pedal once or twice on a straight road and have a fun time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brake in a straight line ahead of the curve, then drive through the curve

A two day driving course might be worthwhile. Alternatively you could buy a PS2 and gran Turismo 4 and work on your Nuremberg ring lap times

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hadlock posted:

Brake in a straight line ahead of the curve, then drive through the curve

boooooring (but safe)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I went to rotate my car's tires today, and discovered that while the jack I bought is able to lift the car such that the tires aren't on the ground, it isn't able to lift the car enough so that after it sinks down onto the jack stands, the tires are still on the ground. That is, the stands have a set of notches for heights they can support, and the highest notch that still fits under the jacked car isn't high enough once the jack is removed.

Is there some safe way to get a little extra height out of the jack or something? It's an Amazon purchase and I've already discarded the box it came in, so returning would be a hassle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Put a board under it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I went to rotate my car's tires today, and discovered that while the jack I bought is able to lift the car such that the tires aren't on the ground, it isn't able to lift the car enough so that after it sinks down onto the jack stands, the tires are still on the ground. That is, the stands have a set of notches for heights they can support, and the highest notch that still fits under the jacked car isn't high enough once the jack is removed.

Is there some safe way to get a little extra height out of the jack or something? It's an Amazon purchase and I've already discarded the box it came in, so returning would be a hassle.

Undersized jack stands can be lived by broad, flat pieces of wood like plywood. But the proper thing to do is get extra height out of the stands, not the jack, by buying taller stands. Because you should never work under a car that is only supported by a jack.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Leperflesh posted:

Undersized jack stands can be lived by broad, flat pieces of wood like plywood. But the proper thing to do is get extra height out of the stands, not the jack, by buying taller stands. Because you should never work under a car that is only supported by a jack.

I think OP just wants to jack up the car a little higher to be able to reach the next notch on the stands.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

On my high clearance truck I don’t get enough with a single board under the jack so I also tend to use a piece of 4x4 lumber placed vertical on the jack. They make pucks for jacks you can buy that do the same thing but wood block works fine for me. I’m not getting under the truck until it’s on stands.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

I think OP just wants to jack up the car a little higher to be able to reach the next notch on the stands.

This is correct. I have zero interest in working on a car that's supported by only the jack.

spankmeister posted:

Put a board under it

So like, ground -> piece of scrap wood -> jack -> car? I guess that'd work, assuming I have a large enough piece of scrap handy. I'd want a generous margin on all sides, to make sure the jack doesn't roll off or slip or something. I guess I can just laminate two 2x2' bits of .75" plywood together.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

This is correct. I have zero interest in working on a car that's supported by only the jack.

So like, ground -> piece of scrap wood -> jack -> car? I guess that'd work, assuming I have a large enough piece of scrap handy. I'd want a generous margin on all sides, to make sure the jack doesn't roll off or slip or something. I guess I can just laminate two 2x2' bits of .75" plywood together.
you can put a board under the jack itself, or a block of wood between the car and the jack but you need to be wary of it splitting so you put it vertical.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The vertical block on top of the jack also will kick out the block first if it’s slipping so normally all that happens is the car harmlessly falls back onto its tires.

Ohsa beware I’ve used this method to move cars sideways to center in the lift without having to back in and out of the garage

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

you can put a board under the jack itself, or a block of wood between the car and the jack but you need to be wary of it splitting so you put it vertical.

Thanks. For the wood between the jack and the car, by "put it vertical" do you mean that the grain of the wood runs up and down? That seems like it would be more prone to splitting than having the grain run horizontally. I don't think I'd use that method anyway, though; putting boards under the jack feels more stable, and I have plenty of wood to spare because I have a carpentry workshop.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Thanks. For the wood between the jack and the car, by "put it vertical" do you mean that the grain of the wood runs up and down? That seems like it would be more prone to splitting than having the grain run horizontally.

Yes and quite the opposite in my experience, using regular soft pine.

quote:

I don't think I'd use that method anyway, though; putting boards under the jack feels more stable, and I have plenty of wood to spare because I have a carpentry workshop.
Sounds like a good idea.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

wolrah posted:

Most modern supercars, and presumably anything that would be used in a supercar tour rental fleet, generally have very good electronic control systems that can save your rear end in most cases and in some cases even make you look like a driving hero.

Don't turn those systems off.

Beyond that, just remember that physics still apply. The electronics will let you make use of as much of the traction offered by the tires as possible, but if you try to take a 30 MPH turn at 100 you're going to have a bad time regardless.

It may just be selection bias for when things tend to be filmed, but almost all of the rental supercar crashes I've seen have involved someone ignoring one or both of the above points.

Reputable supercar tour companies have an interest in people not crashing their cars and don't want to be known as a nuisance in the areas they run, so I'd expect them to be offering reasonable guidance for their clients as well.

Safety Dance posted:

This is 100% correct. Performance cars are a ton of fun, but they'll only go as fast as you tell them to. It sounds like you know how to take it easy and enjoy the drive, and maybe as you get more comfortable you'll step on the giggle pedal once or twice on a straight road and have a fun time.

Awesome. Yeah, I have no interest in turning off any safety features or being reckless, I just want to hear some big vrooms and have a car go from not moving to moving fast quickly. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A lot of the local businesses that do those supercar tours have a representative in another car with you the whole time (you're only allowed to drive between two points) in addition to having GPS onboard for tracking your speed, with ramifications if you exceed the speed limit, that sort of thing. It all seems like a waste of money if I'm honest, I'm a car person and I'd rather have a really nice dinner.

E: if you're talking about the ones where you go to a track and have an instructor with you, totally different story and probably super fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

A lot of the local businesses that do those supercar tours have a representative in another car with you the whole time (you're only allowed to drive between two points) in addition to having GPS onboard for tracking your speed, with ramifications if you exceed the speed limit, that sort of thing. It all seems like a waste of money if I'm honest, I'm a car person and I'd rather have a really nice dinner.

That would be really lame. I'm picturing something more like this: https://www.gothamdreamcars.com/dream-car-tour which seems like a great way to be able to play around with a variety of exotics for a few hours.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

E: if you're talking about the ones where you go to a track and have an instructor with you, totally different story and probably super fun.

So you'd recommend something like this BMW M one day class instead? I think Porsche has something similar too?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

bergeoisie posted:

So you'd recommend something like this BMW M one day class instead? I think Porsche has something similar too?

There's tons of them, some manufacturer specific, a lot based at a home track. Performance driving school would be a good search term.

https://www.skipbarber.com/

https://midohio.com/courses/high-performance/3-day-high-performance-course

For examples.

Given a choice between a Ferrari on the street and a track day in a Ford Taurus I'd do the track day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really depends, are you trying to learn performance driving or are you trying to have a fun and memorable day in an unusual luxury car?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
When I jack up my wife's CR-V at the factory jack points I have to use a piece of wood between the jack and the car's lift point because the cup on the top of the jack is an interference fit with the lift point. If I don't use the wood block the jack gets stuck to the car. Using a block of wood also helps spread the force and prevent scratches on the underside of the car.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

It's very very fun. I drove a Lambo on a track for my birthday last year. The instructor helped immensely and I got to put down a decent time in a car that cost as much as my house. Street driving always seemed like a waste to me as well.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Really depends, are you trying to learn performance driving or are you trying to have a fun and memorable day in an unusual luxury car?

Probably more towards the latter, but I've been getting the impression from some of the comments that a more structured track session would be a better conduit for actually achieving that. Is going 55mph on mountain roads in a 600hp car actually going to be fun?

honda whisperer posted:

There's tons of them, some manufacturer specific, a lot based at a home track. Performance driving school would be a good search term.

https://www.skipbarber.com/

https://midohio.com/courses/high-performance/3-day-high-performance-course

For examples.

Given a choice between a Ferrari on the street and a track day in a Ford Taurus I'd do the track day.

Thanks! Appreciate the search terms.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bergeoisie posted:

Probably more towards the latter, but I've been getting the impression from some of the comments that a more structured track session would be a better conduit for actually achieving that. Is going 55mph on mountain roads in a 600hp car actually going to be fun?

It'll be more fun than sitting at home but it's an experience to generate a memory not an experience to improve skills. If it's all the same cost you'd love the track day more but if the thought of driving a supercar around and hearing the engine behind you and all that gets your juices flowing then choose that. Let us know how it goes!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

honda whisperer posted:

My cousins 2013 kia forte ex just blew up. Looks like a common issue, and the dealers quoting 7k for a 85k mile engine installed.

Anyone have a good source for used kia engines or remans that aren't horrible? I know where to go for say honda engines but kias aren't my area.

Contact Kia corporate. There's an active recall on a whole slew of Hyundai and Kia engines for knocking/blowing up/failing/etc. The dealer should know drat well about the recall, I'm sure they've done dozens, if not hundreds, of them by now. They don't LIKE doing them because (a) they don't get paid as much for warranty/recall work and (b) they have to build the engines there, I don't think Kia supplies an assembled long block to them. So long as your cousin has kept good records of oil changes and maintenance, Kia should take care of him.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34882987/kia-recall-fire-risk-engine-damage/

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 29, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bergeoisie posted:

Maybe, but I can guarantee doing that same drive in a 1991 miata or a triumph TR6 would be an absolute blast.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I had a Curt trailer hitch installed on my 2021 Hyundai Kona and, while in a parking lot, I noticed that the receiver tube is angled downward slightly. Is this normal? I thought received tubes are supposed to be level with the ground. It certainly makes it look like poo poo.

I've googled hard for the answer but have come up empty. Of course I discover this problem on a weekend when I can't call the manufacturer and it is after hours at the place I had it installed.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STR posted:

Contact Kia corporate. There's an active recall on a whole slew of Hyundai and Kia engines for knocking/blowing up/failing/etc. The dealer should know drat well about the recall, I'm sure they've done dozens, if not hundreds, of them by now. They don't LIKE doing them because (a) they don't get paid as much for warranty/recall work and (b) they have to build the engines there, I don't think Kia supplies an assembled long block to them. So long as your cousin has kept good records of oil changes and maintenance, Kia should take care of him.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34882987/kia-recall-fire-risk-engine-damage/

Very aware of the recall but they did not stay on top of the maintenance.

This is also thr main issue with just swapping it. I can find junkyard engines for 1500-2500 but it seems high risk of the same thing again.

Rebuilds are available but for example a 3k advanced auto one has a maximum $500 for warranty labor for a professional shop and $250 max for diy. Lol.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Woodsy Owl posted:

I had a Curt trailer hitch installed on my 2021 Hyundai Kona and, while in a parking lot, I noticed that the receiver tube is angled downward slightly. Is this normal? I thought received tubes are supposed to be level with the ground. It certainly makes it look like poo poo.

I've googled hard for the answer but have come up empty. Of course I discover this problem on a weekend when I can't call the manufacturer and it is after hours at the place I had it installed.

Check out the video in the link up ahead. It does look ever so slightly tilted downward (at about 3:20): https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Hyundai/Kona/2021/C11529.html?VehicleID=202170777#exp-productdetails=.photos

At a minimum you should check if it's wiggly, and if it is don't use it unless you can tighten the hardware up first. The video goes through all of that, so I'd give it a watch.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 29, 2022

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Thanks a million, the instructional video and the customer photos were really helpful as a reference point.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My Gen 2 (I think it's a 2010?) Prius just had its Maint Req'd light go on. According to the manual, this is about the oil level? I checked it and it seemed fine as far as I can tell; the oil was quite clear and it was slightly past the higher dot. This was expected since I just normally use the sticker of 5K miles to tell when to change it, and I changed it only 3 months ago and put only 3k of the suggested 5k miles on it. Also, I know cars and modern oils can go further than that.

Looking deeper, it seems that this light is just basically a timer? (Source "This light is turned on automatically every 5,000 miles as a warning sign, so you don’t forget to change the oil in your car." This makes me think that the guys somehow neglected to reset it last time I went. I think I got my last oil change early despite not having driven the full length just because it had been a long time so that tracks.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, I found instructions as to how to reset the light and I'll just ignore it since I honestly monitor that number myself fairly judiciously.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yes, it was most likely never reset. Reset it and keep to your schedule you'll be fine.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Hello

Is there some youtube video that would show how to get rid of these kinds of scratches, chips, etc without the result looking like poo poo and looking the same after months?

Can do a decent job painting completely cleaned parts, but never had luck with patching up old paintwork.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

My Gen 2 (I think it's a 2010?) Prius just had its Maint Req'd light go on.

Yeah, Toyota's Maint Req'd light, at least of that era, just goes by how many miles you've driven since it was last reset. I can confirm the same light on an 05 Matrix starts flashing at startup for a few seconds around 4500 miles, then solid at 5000. There's a dance you do with the trip reset button to reset it.

(you can also turn on/off the seat belt reminder with the same button, but that's a much fancier dance that also involves the seat belt)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I managed to reset it but I had to go to four different sources before I found one that either explained it correctly / in a way that I understood / for my specific model.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Print that out and keep it in the glove box. Start doing it every time you get the oil changed, since the shop likely doesn't remember/doesn't bother.

5k miles is overkill if you're using good synthetic oil, but I'm sure you know that. I was just doing it every 9 months on the Matrix even though it normally doesn't see 5k a year (usually 3-4k these days, but did see 8k a year for a few years - it's an early 05 with 101k on it).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah with car prices being what they are, I'd rather baby this thing wastefully than risk loving up. I am super happy I got this thing at a reasonable price in 2020.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My own dumb question. 2007 Ford Crown Victoria (P71 version, so no PATS).

The car occasionally thinks the key is still in the ignition, which prevents me from locking the doors (and keeps the door chime right on ding-dinging along). Smacking the steering column fixes it most of the time, the rest of the time putting the key in and cycling it between accessory and off, then removing the key, takes care of it. Occasionally I can just grab the black plastic surround that turns with the key and wiggle it, and that will get it to stop.

Would this be the ignition cylinder itself, or the switch? Or something else? It's becoming a more and more frequent issue (went from once a month to several times a week in short order).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Probably the switch. Could also be a dirty contact on the Jones plug that goes into the switch.