Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure that the fantasy she's (not so secretly) trying to live, anyway.

Also, just make the staff the promotion item.

Bogart posted:

A staff-locked hero could be interesting as long as there is a generous rain of status and movement staves. Being encouraged to actually use your Sleep / Berserk to distract and undercut powerful enemy groupings and sending in candygrams (throw in the Fates kidnapping staff for extra fun) could make for a more active protagonist than 'send them in against fighters and brigands'!

Just...as long as there are no extra "opportunities" to use a Torch staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
you will play fog of war emblem and like it my good bitch

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is wonderful :allears:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I'd love a Troubalord for their personality if nothing else, the adventures of Clarine or L'Arachel are a story that needs to be told. You would have to either let them use weapons or include a second main character though, otherwise you could potentially softlock the game if everyone else died. I'm suprised I haven't seen any romhacks that have tried it.

Odd Wilson posted:

I might give it a shot when I finish off this Awakening Ironman I've been chipping away at while I eat breakfast. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to sacrifice units to open a way to the boss. I suppose rout maps will be my only EXP, so which game I end up choosing will make a big difference in the final killcount.
Good luck if you do try it! Like other people have said Shadow Dragon does seem like the best choice, although that might be too easy on account of Warp-skipping directily to the boss being the meta already. Awakening on the other hand has so many rout maps that the challenge wouldn't even apply to half of the game. The easy (but boring) way to do things would probably be to invest all your EXP into Robin and have them go through the Assassin class to get Pass...

vilkacis posted:

It's a lovely morning in the Western Isles...
Incredible. Somehow I don't think UGG would be as endearing if it were a grown rear end man causing all the problems, but what if all the bandits in FE were geese?

Blue Labrador posted:

As someone who doesn't have the emotional fortitude to do an iron man run, I am loving this LP. I spent today catching up with it, and I'm still shook from the chapter 5 bloodbath.

Also I'm loving that--between Dorothy, Lot, and Astolfo--the Brown Pallete Army is out in full force. I wish more of the GBA games had browns on their units. I don't know why, but those shades really pop for me.
Thank you! Secretly the purpose of this LP is to sell people on ironman runs, they're both a lot of fun to play and to watch. I had a brief look through the archives and I don't remember finding any on these forums already, but I didn't look particularly hard.

Brown palletes are sorely underutilised. Sage Moulder's got a great looking battle sprite even if it's not really the best class for him, the contrast between simple earthy colours and casting all sorts of weird magic is fun. A Druid with a brown and green outfit would be neat...

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

midnight lasagna posted:

I'd love a Troubalord for their personality if nothing else, the adventures of Clarine or L'Arachel are a story that needs to be told. You would have to either let them use weapons or include a second main character though, otherwise you could potentially softlock the game if everyone else died. I'm suprised I haven't seen any romhacks that have tried it.

Well, FEBuilder doesn't look that hard to use, so I guess I'll mess around with the idea myself sometime. Be the change you want to see, I suppose!

midnight lasagna posted:

Good luck if you do try it! Like other people have said Shadow Dragon does seem like the best choice, although that might be too easy on account of Warp-skipping directily to the boss being the meta already. Awakening on the other hand has so many rout maps that the challenge wouldn't even apply to half of the game. The easy (but boring) way to do things would probably be to invest all your EXP into Robin and have them go through the Assassin class to get Pass...

In theory, I could do it on FE1, but the DS remake is probably the way to go thanks to the reclassing shenanigans as well. A lot of people are gonna become armor knights and clerics, I think. In theory, I can get usable units without killing by merely selling all my weapons to buy many heal staves and just healing some roadblocks to gain EXP.

Passassin Robin is probably the most straightforward way to do it in Awakening, although if you play on Hard, there is something to clearing maps as fast as possible to prevent reinforcements on rout maps.

I did just finish that Awakening ironman, so I think this'll be what my next challenge run will be. Thoroughly destroyed the final boss, rarely ever had to look up reinforcement lists, and I only lost Fred this time.This is much unlike the struggle of my previous run where I had to play through more than half the game without a healer, flier, or dancer, and pretty much carried on the back of Sol and Nosferatu.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 29, 2022

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:tipshat:

midnight lasagna posted:

Incredible. Somehow I don't think UGG would be as endearing if it were a grown rear end man causing all the problems, but what if all the bandits in FE were geese?

I think that depends. Would they be geese geese, or horrible human-sized demon fowl? Because i could handle the former but in the latter case i'd rather just have the bloodthirsty brigands.

Odd Wilson posted:

Well, FEBuilder doesn't look that hard to use, so I guess I'll mess around with the idea myself sometime. Be the change you want to see, I suppose!

Febuilder is very good and user friendly.

(But making a full blown romhack is still a lot of work, of course...)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well, i wanted to try and actually play l'archels bizzarre adventure but i am woefully inept at anything computer related. And it sucks bc i can see how febuilder is meant to be simple for dumbasses like me and i still cant figure out how to just make l'archel the main character and dozla her seth

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well, i wanted to try and actually play l'archels bizzarre adventure but i am woefully inept at anything computer related. And it sucks bc i can see how febuilder is meant to be simple for dumbasses like me and i still cant figure out how to just make l'archel the main character and dozla her seth

I think you just open the event editor, load up chapter one and then swap them in. Then go toss erika and Seth into the ghost ship and monster fort events.

E: oh, and go into the character editor to give l'archel the lord flag and convoy flag so she can actually seize.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

I got as far as giving her a sword/staff wielding custom class with partial animations yesterday. I think staff bonking would be hilarious, yet I lack the ASM skill to overturn FE's heavily scripted staves. Or I could just give her axes...

I don't mind the idea of staff only, but I did it anyways. I suppose if this ever becomes more than a fleeting idea, I can have a separate patch rebalanced to not have a sword.

FoolyCharged posted:

I think you just open the event editor, load up chapter one and then swap them in. Then go toss erika and Seth into the ghost ship and monster fort events.

E: oh, and go into the character editor to give l'archel the lord flag and convoy flag so she can actually seize.

"Unit Placement" is the one to modify the party event, I think.

I've found FEBuilder to be both very friendly and very complex at the same time. There's a wealth of tutorials, but it's hard to find the exact info you need.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Making damaging staves is actually pretty easy, you can just set something up like a normal weapon or tome and say it's a staff. I remember way back in the first romhack thread tossing together an FE7 patch that turned Slim Swords into damaging staves that summoned hand axes from the void to hurl at enemies, took like 5 minutes in Nightmare and the game happily shrugged and rolled with it, it's been a while since I tried poking around in FEBuilder but I'd assume it should be able to do the same, no fancy ASM stuff required.

It wouldn't necessarily be pretty, since you'd have no crit animation and none of the ranged/spell animations you have to work with were really made to work with staff animations (and a new animation that worked better with those would be used for non-weapon staves too), but it'd be totally functional.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Having a special damage dealing staff isn't quite the same thing as bonking people with regular healing staves, though. Maybe you could kludge something together by doing that and then also giving the end product an effect on use a la the Sword of Seals Binding Blade? I dunno how much freedom you have to mess with the particulars of use effects, though.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Cattail Prophet posted:

Having a special damage dealing staff isn't quite the same thing as bonking people with regular healing staves, though. Maybe you could kludge something together by doing that and then also giving the end product an effect on use a la the Sword of Seals Binding Blade? I dunno how much freedom you have to mess with the particulars of use effects, though.

That's what I was planning on, but apparently, GBA FE is very finicky about adding new usable items- I'm looking into it presently. Faffing around with FEBuilder doesn't seem to help here, so I'm now faffing around with buildfiles for a bit. We'll see if it gets me anywhere.

Edit: Managed to get it to work as a usable item, although it comes with the odd side effect of playing the staff BGM when you initiate an attack with the weapon.

one small patch later, it now specifically plays her theme when you go to bonk an enemy :v:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2022

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Hero of the West... Who's that? I hope it's not me, I don't like responsibility.

Roy might believe Larum's account more if it had a blue check, but she lost it after she changed her name to Etrurian Elon Musk for a bit.

Cecilia's probably twitter verified, maybe she can make a callout post against all the Etrurian nobles that are supposed to be in charge of this place. Writing letters to his teacher is basically how Roy solves all his problems until she eventually joins your army...

Here it is... the dreaded Chapter 11A. Just completing this chapter and progressing to the next one isn't too difficult, but oh boy does this map have a lot of optional objectives that really make you race for them, and some rather irritating RNG that can make that race potentially a lot more difficult.

First of all: the villages. Each village has some very nice loot you'll want to grab, and each village is under threat from Brigands. Rescue all the villages and you'll get a very cool Hero's Crest which you will probably need on account of all the classes this game throws at you that need it to promote. At the start of turn 6 some Brigands are going to spawn in from the mountains on the right, and they move the turn they appear so if you cannot visit the rightmost villages or at least offer your allies as juicier targets, the rightmost villages are going to be destroyed. Notice how far away Roy and his group start from them... The reinforcements will keep coming from those caves every 4 or so turns too, so you can't sleep on them after stopping the initial wave.

Further complicating things are the recruitable enemies. From the bottom right on turn 5 will appear a recruitable Sniper and his entourage of enemy Archers, and on turn 7 from the top left you get a squad of Pegasus Knights who's leader is also recruitable. Without Clarine or Shanna I'm going to have to march Roy aaaaaall the way down to the bottom right by turn 5, have him talk to the Sniper, march him aaaaaall the way back up to the top... One rather nice detail is that if you recruit one of them then their accompanying squad will turn green... and immediately rush upwards to escape with no regards to the enemies in the way trying to kill them, which is very annoying on account of the special rewards you get for keeping each squad alive. I am just going to assume all the green units will get themselves killed and treat that not happening as a pleasant surprise. Which most likely means no second Orion's Bolt or Elysian Whip for me!

On top of that is the recruitable green unit, Echidna. On turn 8 she's going to spawn in from the closed village with the yellow roof at the exact same time as 3 enemy Fighters who will all get to move and attack her before you can react. Despite being a Hero she'll appear with a Steel Axe that weighs her down massively instead of a sword that might help her dodge, and I think if you're unlucky with all 3 attack rolls then she can die before it's even her turn... You can avoid this by placing your own units in range to serve as juicier targets for the Fighters, but beware that that means they might die instead. After all that you still have to talk to her to recruit her, and the only unit who can do that is the incredibly fragile Larum who will be joining at the start of this map...

And if you survive all of that then you still have to kill the boss before the huge groups of Cavaliers spawn in on turns 10 and 14 to rush you down and kill you. He's fast and hits hard and is deceptively durable for being a Bishop... And if those groups of reinforcements do get to spawn in, you'll have to deal with a Killer Lance from the first group and a promoted Paladin boss (even with his own portrait!) from the second. They also come from different directions, so it's unlikely you'll be able to block off both groups at the same time...

What I'm saying is place your bets, who dies here? Will I manage to accomplish all the side objectives? Will I even manage to accomplish one? This is what you voted for.

Running this whole show is Bishop Orlo, a man with the tiniest and smuggest face I've ever seen. His stats are pretty high... Including his luck, which might make killing him with a crit not as reliable as past bosses have been. At least light magic doesn't provide bonuses to crit in this game! I think only Elen could take a crit from him, and she does not currently have any way of damaging him back.

Breaking the 100 HP wall to the north is one way of reaching the boss and the rightmost villages quickly. It is however guarded by a large group of enemies, including this Killer Bow jerk who can potentially take a meaty chunk off of your HP.

There's also a couple of Longbow users scattered around to snipe you from a bigger distance than you might expect. They are absolutely here to kill Larum if you aren't paying attention...

Oh and there's also a good old spite Halberd right by these villages at the bottom. These villages are however in the least danger of all, so don't feel the need to rush straight towards them or anything.

Everybody is ready. There's no Merlinus this map, I've got better people to use! Although maybe I should have subsituted Astolfo for him, it's not like there's anything worth stealing besides maybe a Vulnerary or two.

Nope. Have you tried the Eastern Peninsula? If only either of Melady's appearences had been when we had Princess Guinivere, then she'd have joined us.

It's that village specifically. Or I suppose this entire map is meant to be one village and each "village" is actually a house, but I just like calling them villages. Closing the door to her house will be enough to stop Echidna from being ambushed for at least a few turns, so we don't have to worry about Brigands stopping us from recruiting her at least!

There she is! "Larum". Normally I don't really care about localisation changes but I've typed out "Lalum" so many times that this feels like a personal affront. I guess it could have been worse, she could have been Rarum.

1 strength? No weapon ranks? Don't worry, she is still immensely powerful. I haven't played the mobile game in years, but apparently the most recent banner features a Larum that can fly and use lances in addition to having the ability to refresh her allies. She also has higher stats than I remember some of the strongest units at the time I last played having...

HP: 70%
STR: 10%
SKL: 5%
SPD: 70%
LCK: 80%
DEF: 20%
RES: 20%

Affinity: Thunder (Defense, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Echidna, Garret, Ogier, Geese, Roy, Douglas, Perceval

Larum is a refresher unit, which means she can use her one action per turn to give an adjacent member of your army their action back. A very simplistic way of thinking about this is that you'll always have one character you want to use more than another character, so she basically lets you use your best unit twice as much. In practice it doesn't really work that way, but she's very good! She helps people reach their destinations faster, or lets them attack twice, or lets units who have been dropped move again, or whatever you want. All that limits her are her awful defenses... If you're playing extremely well they shouldn't matter regardless, but considering this is an ironman I really really do not want to risk her getting attacked ever as she is very unlikely to survive even a single hit. With some EXP investment she can become a little bit of a dodge tank, especially considering her almost entirely defensive affinity, but that's still far from reliable. Regardless: she's good!

My Rating: 10/10. Your best unit but twice.

Oops! I counted exactly how many tiles it would take Lance to reach the breakable wall north of the villages, but then I put Lot where he wanted to move and foiled my own plan. Regardless, my strategy is going to be to send by bulkiest two units over to grab the villages as quickly as possible, or at least distract the Brigands who want to smash them. The two of them are easily bulky enough to tank a Killer Bow crit or three, and with a little luck they should also be able to counterattack and kill all of their attackers at range over the wall.

Clarine is dead which means Roy has to race to the bottom to recruit Klein. Roy does not have a horse so this method will be a lot slower, but with the power of dance...

Roy can be his own horse! The sight of a girl leaping her own height straight up in the air and conjuring a beating heart above her head is enough to send any soldier running away twice as fast in fear and awe.

Everybody but the Lancelot squad and Elen will be heading downward to take a more roundabout rout to the villages. Anybody but my best tanks would just be an unwelcome distraction that pulls the enemies at the top away from their certain doom...

These two Wyvern Riders appear to scare you and then leave. Melady will never know where Princess Guinivere is... She's supposed to be her retainer, so she's not doing a very good job! Galle on the right is a guy you cannot recruit. I don't even think he's a Camus, he's just a guy with too much screen time who never joins you.

Ow. Poor Marcus is showing his age now, this Fighter could cleanly 2HKO him... It might be time to retire him soon! He might get dropped for the desert of Arcadia and then never picked back up.

They would also 2HKO Roy if they could hit him. He's just too fast and lucky. I hope I can get another Killing Edge soon, with Lilina's support he could become quite a force to be reckoned with.

Being able to reliableylure enemies to their deaths over the wall is a huge boon, I'm surprised at just how much the addition of bows has improved Lot's performance. Every guy I kill here wil be one less body to stand between Lance as he rushes to reach the villages.

Oh it turns out I miscounted and Lance can reach the wall anyway. My inability to count tiles and my inability to think before moving units cancelled each other out! It's because they're both negatives, they multiple together to make a positive.

He'll bust down this wall while also leaving himself able to counterattack on enemy phase. 100 HP is an absurd amount for a breakable wall, but it shouldn't be able to stand the combined might of two promoted units for very long. I'd want to bust this down so Klein could move to recruit Thea anyway...

The rest of my army can bust their way through the more conventional path. This is an incredible level, especially that defense! He's actually quite bulky now.

How convenient that it works out that neither of these ranged attackers can reach my front line this turn! Or maybe it's inconvenient that I couldn't figure out a good way to put Sin here to take them both out.

The enemies at the top are getting bored and making their way towards Roy and friends... I'd rather they throw themselves against Lance to make things easier for me later, so I need to break down that wall fast. I did say that I didn't want them getting in the way, but Lance should be strong enough to one round them and prevent that from being a problem.

At least the ranged attackers can be lured. You get outta here! That's some nice accuracy by Lance, I'm impressed!

This guy regrets having even showed up. I like how Lot's dodging here, it's like he's so disgusted by this mediocre display of archery that he doesn't even want his bow to see it lest it get tainted somehow.

My other units can't deal with this mages quite so well... Dark magic hurts, even if it's a little inaccurate. I'd rather face Flux than risk being crit to death by Thunder tomes though.

9 damage and 78 hit on a generic Archer? Marcus really is past his prime now, yeesh.

Oh he's on a woods tile, I didn't even notice! They are a little hard to spot when they're covered up. So that'd be double digit damage and 98 hit without it.

Two hits with high accuracy for a 2HKO... or one hit with questionable accuracy for an OHKO. I think this siutation calls for... maths?

So there are either two ways to go about this - try to hit a 72% twice, or a 57% once. Taking into account true hit, these hit rates are actually 84.6% or 63.45%. The chance of hitting the 72 twice is 84.6% * 84.6%, which is 71.5716%... Meanwhile the chance of missing both of the 57s twice is 36.55% * 36.55%, which is 13.359025%, which means a 86.640975% of a KO... I think? Somehow that doesn't sound right but I did do terribly on my Statistics exam years ago which therefore means I should not trust my feeling that it doesn't sound right. So I want to go for the Steel Bow!

It didn't work : (. I'll never use numbers to decide anything ever again!!

Sin might be in a little bit of trouble if every single enemy decides to attack him, so I'll send Roy up close to swap him to a lighter weapon and limit the number of tiles where enemies can stand. He can counterattack so I don't think the Fighters would want to throw stuff at him anyway, but you never know!

Yep they all want to go to Marcus. That's okay! I have been playing a little more recklessly with Marcus than I have the rest of my army, I wonder if it might be an idea to take the Silver Lance off of him just in case I eventually lose it...

It seems Lance was too late and now all the Fighters have gotten bored and decided to mess with Roy and friends. I'd rather not have them slowing my advance...

At least these 3 guys might still be lureable. The Longbow Archer dies first though, I don't want him shooting Elen.

Forests really are the worst, a sword shouldn't have 65% accuracy against a Fighter! If those trees knew what axes were used for I bet they wouldn't be so willing to lend their help.

Another fairly standard level. Lilina's one of the few units not to have a HP growth over 50%, but I think she's still a little ahead of the curve.

Whoops! Glad I caught that, I'll have someone pick Larum up. I was so busy trying to break through the enemies sneaking around the back I forgot they could just walk around the front. I'd really prefer for Larum not to die in the first chapter I recruited her...

I think Lance might be completely and utterly busted. His speed caps at 25 and 15 is pretty much his 20/20 average for defense...

It's not normally this easy to break through the northern wall! I definitely wouldn't be doing this well without my super units. Things sure are looking a lot better than they were in Chapter 5.

And now he's even more accurate than before. Maybe if these two are this powerful I've got some leeway to start training up somebody weak and bad as a joke... Not Gwendolyn, but somebody.

That's the Angelic Robe safe and secure, even if Lance is still a tile away.

Elen can't follow the rest of my army in until all the enemies have been cleared out. The light magic shop is just on the other side of that wall... She would beat all of these men senseless if only she had a book to read on how to do it.

Klein and his squad will be showing up at the end of this next turn. Looking at the map, Klein should be spawning exactly here...

...and therefore should be able to shoot anyone from up to here after he spawns in. This is assuming he doesn't roll the 10% or so chance he has of not moving at all, an incredibly frustrating feature the devs programmed into his and Thea's AI for reasons of spite and hatred. If he chooses not to move then not only is he going to be a turn behind in distance to recruit Thea when I eventually do recruit him, but he's also going to be hidden behind his squad of enemy Archers, possibly forcing me to kill one or more of them to reach him. Which means the Orion's Bolt from keeping them alive is as good as gone.

You're under house arrest! Gonzo's under orders to keep all the villages safe, and that means you're not leaving. Still quite an impressive range he's got though.

I feel a little bad for Dorothy, who's amazingly lucky growths have been completely overshadowed by the way overtuned Sin. Some bow users didn't get a HM bonus trust fund...

Rescue-dropping Larum lets her get closer to Roy without also having to stand in the Longbow danger area. Dancers can dance for everybody but themselves, so often you have to pick them up and carry them about or else they'll end up lagging behind the very soldiers they're boosting.

Had I been really fast and sent Lance straight to Orlo, I could have maybe killed him with a Killing Edge crit and prevented him from summoning bandits all together by stopping this cutscene from ever happening. I do like it when you can kill a boss early to prevent map events from firing...

Here come enemy recruits one and two. The game's nice enough to warn you where Thea's coming from at least, but you still don't have very much time to get close to her before she appears.

Speaking of messing with map events, this little dialogue scene should be playing at the bottom of the map where Klein has just spawned in, but skipping the last one has caused it to start playing here instead. Whoops! I only know this because I reloaded a state from the start of Orlo's speech to get a screenshot of his dialogue saying he's going to start siccing bandits on the village. I have learned to be very careful when loading states to grab screenshots though - I actually screwed myself out of a +strength +speed first level for Wolt in Chapter 1 when I loaded a previous state to grab a line of dialogue I missed and accidentally undid half of the map. Which might have led to this LP going somewhat differently... Seeing as this is meant to be an ironman and that type of thing really shouldn't be happening, I only ever load a state after saving my current one now.

...oh dear. I had forgotten about this! That's sibling singular...

They don't have to know about Chapter 5. If Roy becomes ruler of Lycia then he'll quitely burn that mountain village to the ground so nobody knows about Chapter 5.

Phew! That's a 10% chance of annoyance avoided, Klein's moving straight away.

Ow. That was a 1% chance of death I probably didn't need to risk facing. Saul's fine, don't worry!

Oh no... He's one tile short! Was all my effort for nothing?

Nah, I moved Larum up specifically for this. The day is saved! I honestly was worried I wouldn't get this far.

Klein and his army of turncoats are arranged in arrow formation, ready to strike! Or ready to run away. He's heading up to talk to Thea as soon as she appears, while his soldiers will be beelining to an escape point directly left of the boss. Hopefully without dying horribly along the way...

As you might be able to tell from his portrait, Klein is the son of Pent and Louise from FE7. Pent is infamous as one of the most busted prepromotes in the entire series, and Louise isn't bad herself. But how does he hold up?

HP: 60%
STR: 35%
SKL: 40%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 50%
DEF: 15%
RES: 25%

Affinity: Ice (Defense, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Clarine, Perceval, Dieck, Elphin, Thea

What if Archers were good? Well then they might look a little like this. Even with his HM bonuses Klein isn't the most powerful prepromote Sniper you'll be getting in terms of base stats, but he's certainly going to be your best infantry bow user so far... Unless your Dorothy turned out like mine and happens to outspeed him.

Great bases aside, Klein's also got growths more akin to a regular unit than a prepromote. They're placed pretty well too, with one of his best growths being in his slightly medicore speed stat that does need a little help to be consistent, especially on account of his CON being a little lower than your other Archers. He's powerful, he's accurate, and he's even lucky and resistant enough to be a little tanky, too. With the Silver Bow he's strong enough to 2HKO just about every enemy on the map, and his speed is just about good enough to double most of them too. Chapter 12 marks the appearence of wyverns as regular enemies, so even if you've got no long term plans to use him he should make good slot filler for a long while.

My Rating: 7/10. Not quite a Pent, but a little bit better than Loiuse.

The rest of his squad aren't quite as deadly, but at least they can survive a hit or two. They might need to, since they're about to walk straight upwards into reinforcement territory...

Thank you for the loot! Here's the Restore staff we were denied by not going route B back in Chapter 9. Conveniently enough, Chapter 12 marks the start of enemy status staff users being a thing.

Yeah Klein might have been all those things I said, but can he go this fast? I don't think so.

Gonzalez said people fear him and throw stones when they see him, but these fine folk appear to have no trouble believing he's here to save them. How heartwarming! Now give me your stuff.

I've killed enough enemies for the "you've almost won!" victory jingle to start playing. I could go for Orlo now... But without some lucky crits or dodges then Lance would die to two of his attacks plus a hit from this Shaman. There's no reason to risk it, as cool as it would be if it worked.

But no, I must be sensible. I'm not sure who this is going to... I'm probably not going to go through with my silly battle nun idea, so it's not going to Elen. It could go to Roy to make sure he doesn't cause a Game Over, it could go to Lilina to help her fight on the front lines, and arguably increase Roy's survivability by letting her support him more easily... It could even go to Larum to keep her out of kill range. Hmm...

Sending Klein on a diversion like this was actually a bad idea, but I assumed this village was going to be destroyed by Brigands next turn. The Sleep staff will be very useful for recruiting a certain enemy who won't join your army until you clear the map with him still alive... I'll try to save at least one use of it until then, but given how stingy I am with these things I'll probably need to be dragged kicking and screaming into using it at all.

Marcus and Sin will run around and grab the southern villages. Marcus won't want to face the Halberd, but as a Nomad, Sin's actually riding a pantomime horse so he'll be fine.

No you cannot!!! I got them first, you'll have to walk all the way around to the west now.

At the time I thought these initial spawns would smash the villages as soon as they spawned in, which is why I was so worried about going fast. Turns out I was wrong! I guess that would have been a bit of a dick move.

Especially considering you get this message right after. I just wanted to be sure...

Larum's needed to recruit Echidna who will be appearing shortly, and Roy's needed to seize and end the map which I might have to do in a hurry if things start to go south, so I need to move them both up as soon as possible. I do also need to be careful of the enemies who will be spawning with Echidna, they could easily kill Larum in a single hit.

I can't safely clear out the boss until the stragglers up here are gone so I'd appreciate the help taking them out quickly too. Elen's safe on her little patch of forest, but any enemy that attacks her is an enemy not throwing themselves against someone much stronger and dying.

Hello! You should join my army, I would never send a Pegasus Knight to their doom. Or drop a poor orphaned child onto a pirate fort as bait.

If you can't smash the noncombatatant NPCs in villages then you just have to settle for the next best thing, NPCs who cannot counterattack. Luckily they're competent enough to survive...

Good, Thea's avoided a 10% chance of not moving and won't be lagging behind her squad. If she were it would be much harder to recruit her before being forced to kill the rest...

I'll do my little analysis now just in case she doesn't get to survive this. She's got a D rank in lances, even if you can't see it... That's not particularly good!

HP: 60%
STR: 40%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 55%
LCK: 40%

Support Partners: Juno, Shanna, Alen, Zelot, Klein

Thea is a character who is absolutely carried by her HM bonuses... Poor vanilla Normal mode Thea starts with 6 strength and 11 speed, the latter of which is actually less than what Shanna starts with at level 1. Thea's definitely good on her own merits, and her stat averages do look very nice when she's trained, but unlike enemy recruits such as Rutger or Sin she is unfortunately somewhat outclassed by other fliers. The most obvious of which is Melady, who's already infamous as the best character in the entire game... But you do have to compare Thea to her sister too. Shanna will have been in your army and been gaining EXP for much longer, possibly to the point of being promoted. She'll have had a lot of time to build up her lance rank, so her bad strength will be shored up by the much better lances she can wield compared to her sister. When you consider how much AS Pegasus Knights lose from heavier lances, you could actually argue that Shanna's better speed translates into more attack power than Thea's higher strength...

Of course there's nothing stopping you from using all of your fliers if you want to, besides maybe the scarcity of Angelic Robes. Her stats are still fine, and she can still pick people up and ferry them around. And you have to consider that Shanna might be dead! But who would be dumb enough to let that happen... So Thea's still pretty great. I don't think I'll be training her on account of me wanting to go the Sacae route, but she's fine! Assuming I can recruit her, of course.

My Rating: 7/10. Sometimes these ratings feel very arbitrary... It's going to be interesting comparing them all at the end. I mean I wrote them, but I don't know what I'm doing!

Die, bandits! Sometimes I look at my screenshots and wonder what I was doing. I really should be moving Klein up as much as possible each turn, why's he tooling around back here? Is me not posting Thea's stats as a blue unit foreshadowing an oncoming disaster???

Speaking of disasters, guess who's about to come out of this house? With Roy and all these Archers as distractions Echidna won't be under threat by the enemies that will spawn with her, so at least I don't need to worry about that.

Hmm... Nope, I'd best let Sin handle this. He can weaken this guy for Marcus to finish him off...

This would have been nice to have many maps ago. Unfortunately due to her D rank in lances Thea can't use this at base, so you can't have her go fight axe users to level her up after recruiting her.

The coast is clear, it's killing time. Lance can just barely take 2 attacks before he has to go back and heal. Unfortunately Lot's the one with the Elixir, but Elen does have a Physic staff!

Well my god is right here, and he's about to kill you. Lance's growths have been blessed by Saint Elimine herself!

Or maybe this is more of a fair fight than I had thought... I really need to get Lot over here.

Oh no, it's Ken Penders's legal team! They heard there was a green echidna hiding out here somewhere and they're here to make a copyright claim.

She's here to kick rear end and find the lost pieces of the master emerald. Women who could use axes were very much a novelty back in the days of GBA FE, which makes Echidna especially cool.

Freedom fighters are scary, let's throw our weapons at this young boy instead. I'd much rather they went for Roy than Echidna, he's much more likely to survive...

Unfortunately Echidna would be having much more success if she used a sword. She can't even double these Fighters with how much her Steel Axe is weighing her down. She really does need that Wyrmslayer...

Oops! The Thea RNG has struck and now she's lagging way behind her group. This could be a problem... I really have no idea why they were coded to do this, it's so annoying.

I was about to have Lilina cut through this bandit so that Larum could talk to Echidna, but then I realised that would just get both Lilina and Larum killed on enemy phase. There's probably a better way I could do this...

I need to prune away these Fighters first. They might not be killing Echidna, but she's not doing a very good job of killing them back either.

You can't see it because of the x2 blocking the way, but Marcus is one damage short of a clean kill here. Hmm...

There was no reason for me to take this risk but I did it anyway, really I should have just had Sin eat another hit and have Marcus hide behind him. I do have to create Content somehow.

Elen will remain in the woods to serve as a distraction. None of these Pegasus Knights will have very good hit on her, so she's not going to be in very much trouble.

That's another event I could have prevented by killing Orlo earlier. I think this is the trigger for the Cavalier reinforcements to show up soon... Come on Lance, focus!

Yep, no danger here. Should be enough time for Klein to get over to Thea!

I could have sworn the green Archers would try to kill the Pegasus Knights, but thankfully it seems I had misremembered. They just want to escape and nothing else.

...but I might have to start killing them for my own safety, because Klein can't get there in time. That's what I get for having him waste him visiting villages and killing Brigands.

With the Fighters cleaned out, Larum can finally recruit her fellow A exclusive character. Elffin? Two Fs? Seriously? I refuse to accept this, these spellings are WRONG.

Rougher than the rest of them, tougher than leather, unlike Bartre Echidna doesn't chuckle. She'd rather flex her muscles. At least her name is spelled how I remember it and not like Eckidna or Echyd'nya.

HP: 75%
STR: 30%
SKL: 25%
SPD: 30%
LCK: 20%
RES: 15%

Support Partners: Geese, Larum, Gonzalez, Ward, Lot

Sure are a lot of ice affinities joining today. Echnidna's a much more traditional prepromote than Klein, her bases are good but her growths unfortunately are not. She'll make a pretty decent replacement for Dieck, at least for a while... Echidna's best aspect is her speed, but for some reason she decided to go into battle with a Steel Axe that takes her speed down from 18 to 12. While she is fast enough to double a lot of enemies with lighter axes, her terrible CON means she'll lose a single point of AS from even the lightest Iron Axe. With swords she's only losing speed from steel or higher, and as the game itself stated she can use the Wyrmslayer to pretty great effect from the next map onwards where wyverns and dragons start being a thing. As a longterm unit she's not great, but as a traditional prepromote she's meant to be great now and fall off later when the rest of your army starts getting better.

Also she's cool.

My Rating: 6.5/10. Did you know that Echidna's name is the same as the type of animal that Knuckles is? I bet there's potential for jokes there.

Magic. If only all the enemies here didn't have such high HP, Lilina might be able to OHKO some of the weaker classes...

Saul's there too. The second Guiding Ring I'm getting is going to Lilina, I don't know if I'll ever promote this guy. He has been failing spectacularly in getting magic...

This is for Dorothy. If I fail to get the other bolt then Sin's not going to be able to promote until either I visit a secret shop or go to Sacae...

Now to get out of here before the reinforcements arrive. They should be a few turns yet...

I'm sorry Thea, your allies are just too scary! Better to kill them and ensure I get the Orion's Bolt than potentially risk losing both rewards. Maybe if you had moved on all of your turns this never would have happened.

Money is good, I need to shop. I feel like I'm starting to run low on a few things...

Oh hello. These Cavaliers mostly have a mix of Steel Lances and Javelins, but one of them has a Killer Lance that could be a nasty surprise. Lot doesn't have anything to fear from them, but without a defensive juggernaut as good as him or Lance I might be in a bit more trouble.

Well Saint Elimine might hae shielded him from crits, but Lance got him in the end. Now I have an escape route...

Eep! I forgot Elen has like no defense at all. Good thing the gods favour her and not Orlo.

There go the Archers. Elen saved their lives... Or maybe the Pegasus Knights never would have attacked them at all, I don't actually know.

"Why did you kill all my friends?"

Take this shiny white gem as an apology... And go buy me some stuff. The shops are all far away and behind walls, I need a flier to get me to them before the other other reinforcements show up!

Lot can take all of these guys no problem. Even with a crit they'll be doing like 10 damage max.

Roy still needs speeding towards the gate just in case I need to seize early, so Larum has to kick him up the butt a little. Look at that strength! All she needs to do is wet that big ribbon she's holding and she can start whipping people with it for damage.

That's every village visisted. I don't know who wants these, most of my army is pretty fast... Probably Lilina, but she might be slow enough to the point where 2 extra speed wouldn't help her double anything anyway.

Give me all of your Lightning tomes! I don't even need the like 3 or 4 of these I bought, I might have gone a little overboard. Lilina's still got 3 tomes left but I bought some extras for her too.

I can farm these enemies for EXP until I've visited all the shops I want. The Paladin boss who's going to spawn at the bottom in a few turns might be a little too tough for me to deal with, so as soon as I'm done I'm leaving. Lot could probable handle him, but he is on the other side of the map...

Killer Axes! Give me all of them please. These are extremely good, just as accurate as iron but much stronger.

The last of the Cavaliers and Brigands fall to create some exceptionally good levels. I'll be promoting Dorothy next map, I doubt she'd be able to reach 20/20 so there's no point putting it off.

In retrospect I probably could have stayed a little longer, but I decided I'd leave now just in case. I may as well have a sub 20 turn clear for once.

No it's not!!! It's Elphin or Elfin, I am renaming you. I typed that name out as Elphin so many times, I refuse to change it. You're not a playable character in this route so you don't get to object.

If you owe me your livelihoods, does that mean we can be Villagers? I have quite a few units who could benefit from the Aptitude skill.

This Hero's Crest was the reward for saving all of the villagers. I didn't even know this was a thing when I was playing the chapter... It's probably going to Ogier, but maybe it could go to Gonzalez if he manages to get some EXP.

That's... every single objective but one completed? And I only partly failed to get the extra Elysian Whip due to incompetence, that was like 50% RNG screwing me over! Not only that, but nobody died! I'm actually astounded, even I didn't believe in myself. I think I owe my victory mostly to by incredibly powerful promoted units, but surely I can take a little credit too. I feel almost bad, without deaths this LP feels lacking somehow... Maybe I can get someone killed in a stupid way next map.

Next time: The first map with a turn limit.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, you did that so cleanly. I think it was because you respected the map and threw your power units at the problems enough to prevent the map from making GBS threads on you.

The Speedwings to Lilina is actually a really good idea, it pushes her that much closer to the threshold of avoiding being doubled by Mercenaries. My Lilina got killed by a reinforcement merc who doubled her and hit her on two 66%s. It's hard to feel the weight of mistakes when it really is just a matter of me getting bored and pushing forward a bit too fast. And reinforcements being bullshit and the RNG being unkind. I also lost Oujay to a merc too.... what with him having grown no def at all in 10 levels and wielding a Steel Sword by accident. Lilina annoyed me more though because Oujay had been growing like crap.

Makes me feel bad I lost more units to the B route than you did on the A, considering I went B specifically because it's less spiteful.

Lalum/Elphin are probably the worst dancers in the FE series. That doesn't make them BAD, since they're still loving dancers after all, but they're the most prone to being one-shot by poo poo out of all the dancers in FE. The only ones that are similarly at risk are the herons from FE9/10, who have Canto and/or multi-singing to more than make up for it. Of the two, Elphin is theoretically better since he should get out of 1 shot ranges faster. In practice, I don't think there's a difference.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Feed the wings and the robe to Lilina. She seeks violence.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Having 2 strong units that can easily anchor the top helps too. Most people enter this map with 0, maybe 1 at most, promoted units.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Keldulas posted:

Lalum/Elphin are probably the worst dancers in the FE series. That doesn't make them BAD, since they're still loving dancers after all, but they're the most prone to being one-shot by poo poo out of all the dancers in FE. The only ones that are similarly at risk are the herons from FE9/10, who have Canto and/or multi-singing to more than make up for it. Of the two, Elphin is theoretically better since he should get out of 1 shot ranges faster. In practice, I don't think there's a difference.

So are you excluding Olivia?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
You should really promote Sin instead of Dorothy. You have 2 good units now, why not make it 3.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The translation seems pretty good, but Echidna referring to herself as a "stubborn wench" just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway, congrats to getting through this thing with no casualties. Looking forward to chapter 14!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The translation seems pretty good, but Echidna referring to herself as a "stubborn wench" just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway, congrats to getting through this thing with no casualties. Looking forward to chapter 14!

It kinda does for me too, but tbh she’s probably mocking the bad men who are calling her that, it’s just weird out of context.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

midnight lasagna posted:

Oh it turns out I miscounted and Lance can reach the wall anyway. My inability to count tiles and my inability to think before moving units cancelled each other out! It's because they're both negatives, they multiple together to make a positive.

No, no, you counted right the first time, you just had so much tunnel vision wrt where you wanted to move Lance that you failed to notice that his space and Lot's space were equally close to where you were trying to go. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that's better or worse.

(Nice file name on that screenshot btw)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
You know, I think the reason why Echidna is stuck with the axe is because she lost her wyrmslayer somewhere, probably evading the authorities, and had to find a replacement weapon. So she probably decked some bandit in the face and took his axe instead.

That's my personal headcanon now, at least.

Towel whip Lalum is one heck of an mental image. Also, Elphin is such a better localization.

Last Celebration posted:

Olivia at least has a sword and access to Myrmidon, so you can at least be funny and feed her experience.

Of course, I'm not going to deny being that frail of a unit in Awakening is awful, and she only survived my last run because I barely used her.

I rarely use dancers anyways though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dang, you managed to get everything but the whip. And since you're not using tate and shanna's dead only having access to two free ones is a complete non issue, it would have just been money anyways.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
...I am impressed, you made that look easy. You did miss the E.Whip but with Shanna...indisposed, you're not gonna run short on those. Either way, every other run of this map I've seen gets really disorganized very quickly. Here I just kept waiting for the part that was threatening and it just... didn't show up, so very well handled!

Gonna disagree with your assessment of Thea, she's not slow enough that she won't be doubling most everything after a couple of levels. The weapon rank and starting strength do hurt, so it's a closer race on Normal, but not enough to reverse the tide. Or maybe I'm just bitter about my garbage first Shanna, I dunno.

Elffin is a terrible way to spell that name. Elves do not have fins, stop this slander.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
yessss

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I didn't realize Charlie Kirk had a cameo in this game

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The names were bugging me so I went to track them down, and yeah turns out the names *are* accurate:

quote:

Ogier the Dane was a legendary character who first appeared in The Song of Roland, a French medieval series of poems which the Elibe games reference often.

quote:

Elffin ap Gwyddno was a poet from Welsh mythology.

quote:

Mater Larum is a silent Roman goddess, the protector of households.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I’ll be honest I kind of forgot about her.

I largely stand by what I said, and I will add that Olivia can share the crown with them. They basically have the same problems ala being one-shot and both exist in titles with rear end in a top hat reinforcements.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Olivia can at least kill things.

Also, :words: wrt Heroes...

Bride Larum, part of this year's Bride Banner (themed around Roy's potential brides, incidentally), has 31 strength and 38 speed.

Cordelia, the day 1 gold standard for Lance Fliers, has 35/35.

However, while Cordelia has pretty terrible 40/22/25 bulk, Larum's is more significant at 38/26/31.

This is all not factoring in mind that units that can learn Dance have lower stats than normal units.

Powercreep is a hell of a drug...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh hell yes it's Lalum. Look at that minimug.

quote:

You cannot tell me that is not the most powerful minimug in the history of Fire Emblem. You cannot.

quote:

Eeeehehehehe. Yes. Goood :unsmigghh:

quote:

With the Fighters cleaned out, Larum can finally recruit her fellow A exclusive character. Elffin? Two Fs? Seriously? I refuse to accept this, these spellings are WRONG.

:hai:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

re: dancers, Olivia definitely gave me the most grief out of all the refresher units in the series in terms of keeping her alive. At least you can avoid ambush spawns if you set up big Rescue chains to defeat bosses on the first turn...

Dance Officer posted:

You should really promote Sin instead of Dorothy. You have 2 good units now, why not make it 3.
I'm just promoting Dorothy now since she's unlikely to hit 20/20 unless I baby her super hard. Sin I want to leave unpromoted since he still earns EXP pretty fast. I do have two Orion's Bolts though so if I wanted I could promote them both and have 4 good units...

Cattail Prophet posted:

No, no, you counted right the first time, you just had so much tunnel vision wrt where you wanted to move Lance that you failed to notice that his space and Lot's space were equally close to where you were trying to go. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that's better or worse.
Oops! I think that might actually be worse. Or perhaps I was feigning ignorance as part of my master plan...........

SKULL.GIF posted:

The names were bugging me so I went to track them down, and yeah turns out the names *are* accurate:
Oh, I guess that does explain a lot. I'd forgotten about Fire Emblem's weird habit of taking names from mythology for seemingly no reason. That's actually really interesting, thank you for looking that up!

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to face the true enemy, which is the rich nobility of the Western Isles exploiting the poor and desparate to make themselves richer. That's not actually what the title refers to, but it should be. Dragons are a bourgeois distraction!

The chapter guide I'm using refers to this guy as "Alucard". I have no idea if that was the accepted translation of his name before this translation patch was released or if it's just the specific choice this website made, but it's very funny to me all the same. He's not just a figurative blood sucking noble...

Time to invade Alucard's castle! It'll only be his castle for a little while, the enemy will play musical chairs for the first few turns of the map until eventually a dragon takes the throne. This map divides your starting army into two halves, one on the left and one on the right. The leftmost path is much more populated and indirect, while the rightmost path is straightforward with a few powerful enemies but not many other obstacles. Roy has to go through the left side though so you can't just ignore it to breeze through the right.

The gaiden chapter requirement for this map requires you beat it in 20 turns or less, after which a large number of enemies will spawn following a small cutscene in which you will be notified that you have taken too long. It also requires Elffin to be alive assuming you went down the B route, but I did not and therefore he is safely tucked away in Roy's pocket to be deployed for plot purposes only. Rushing this map shouldn't be too hard what with all my super units, but the boss can potentially be tricky...

It sure is a good thing we got that Restore staff back in Chapter 11, because here come the status effects! The Sleep staff puts a unit out of action for a few turns and can potentially be very annoying, either putting them in danger or at least stopping them from being where you want them to be. Thanks to an interesting quirk of the AI, staff users prioritise targets by order of deployment - the later in your deployment order, the more likely they are to be taregetted. Allies who join during a chapter are treated as lower in the list, which means if you recruit someone who doesn't need to do anything mid chapter you can use them as bait.

This chapter also marks the introduction of seige tomes... Thankfully it's just the Eclipse tome, a weapon that as far as I can tell exists purely as a joke. Don't stare directly at a solar eclipse or else you'll end up about as accurate as this guy!

Oops, it's another enemy recruit whose sibling I killed! Raigh can be talked to with Chad as well as Lugh, which thankfully means I don't have to kill him. This game does actually have a special check to prevent recruitable enemies from receiving Hard mode bonuses, but it only applies to enemies who appear on the map from the very beginning... So poor Raigh is one of the only 3 recruitable enemies in the entire game not to benefit from HM bonuses. It's a shame, he kind of needs them!

Through the power of googling FE6 Raigh Hard mode bonuses I have found what his stats might look like were he allowed to actually have them. They seem pretty good! Unfortunately the original image was cropped weirdly enough that I couldn't get it to match the screenshot next to it. That's what I get for stealing other people's screenshots instead of taking my own!

Deployment slots are starting to get tight... I remember when I had so many dead units I couldn't even fill every slot the game gave me! Clearly I need to start killing more. All the units I recruited last map sans Larum have to stay behind, I need both of my Theives for this chapter. Don't ask why Thea has all my Killer Axes.

I've got two Orion's Bolts and I could use them both now, but I think I'll delay Sin's promotion for a little while longer. He's still low enough level that he gains EXP pretty fast, and thanks to his higher movement he's probably going to be getting more kills than Dorothy and therefore have a higher chance of hitting the 20/20 level cap.

The Sleep Priest could hit my allies on both sides of the map but I only have one single Restore staff... It can go to Elen, I'll leave her on the side with Roy and Chad so I don't have to be stuck waiting on them to be able to move again.

Lance does have the weapon rank to use Durandal now... He doesn't need to have it, even against the upcoming Manakete boss, but I might bring it along just in case I find myself short on time.

Giving the robe and wings to Lilina seems like the best choice. She needs the bulk and not having her be doubled would be nice, and I don't have anyone else who needs the speed. That Dragonshield however I had completely forgotten about... Lilina's defense is quite bad, but defense boosters tend to provide diminishing returns to units who can't take more than a couple of hits anyway. Perhaps I could give this to Roy?

Did I really buy this many axes? I don't even know what to do with all of these. There's not enough room to bring him along for this map, but perhaps I should train Gonzales just so these don't all go to waste. Lot doesn't have the room to carry them all.

Avacado is not the real boss, which is good because his stats are quite high! FE6 really likes its bait and switches. He's going to get replaced twice... I'm not even sure if you're guaranteed to eventually defeat him, I think he might be exclusive to one of the halves of the future route split.

I've divided my army into Team EXP and Team Lancelot. Team EXP consists mostly of the units I want to give EXP to plus Chad for recruiting Raigh, Team Lancelot has Lance and Lot and soon will also have a promoted Dorothy. They'll be dealing with less enemies, but the enemies they will be dealing with will be harder to take down, so it makes sense to split them up like this imo.

The chapter starts and immediately Anaconda decides he doesn't want none and bails. The Wyvern Lord who's replacing him will also bail in a turn or two...

That "unhuman" will eventually be the boss of this chapter once the chair inspectors have finished their work. I remember some debate on how this specific phrase should be handled in the Serenes Forest topic for this fan translation... The original translation very literally translated it as "human not human", which I assume sounds less silly in Japanese. "Unhuman" sounds strange but I'm not sure what I would have gone with. "Inhuman human?"

Not being able to use items from the prep screen means Lilina can't boost her stats until she has a few free turns to consume all her robes and wings. Every turn counts if I'm going to do this in 20 turns or less, so she'll just have to wait until she has nothing better to do!

Murder is nature's statbooster. Female mages do get +3 speed upon promotion in this game, so combined with the Speedwings she should be able to double things eventually...

Oops, I just realised I forgot to give Elen a tome! So she's be stuck on healing duty for a little while longer. 5 slots really isn't enough for some units.

Sniper Dorothy! She's given up the browns of her previous outfit for some bright blue armour to contrast with her orange. The Wicked Witch of the West is about to get no-scoped.

That's pretty cool. 19 speed is especially great, she should be able to double Wyverns for the rest of the game. 8 CON isn't enough to use Steel Bows without losing speed, but only by a single point!

Random enemies with killer weapons are common place now, I think there's always at least one of these jerks per chapter from here on out. Obviously anyone dying to a crit is bad, but I'll have to be especially careful when moving Roy...

Throne's all warmed up for the true enemy. Any other bosses waiting their turn in the castle basement?

The attempt on his life having left him scaled and deformed, Dragon Palpatine is the real real boss of this map. I think we're overdue a monstrous-looking Manakete as a playable character, they'd make a nice break from all the 1000 year old toddlers. Bantu doesn't count because he's bad.

Raigh's not here as an enemy, he just wants to peep the dragon. He definitely won't move to attack any of your units so you shouldn't have to worry about him. Can we disguise ourselves as soldiers too?

This middle section of the map is full of Longbow jerks to harass you at a distance. They're not particularly threatening, but they do make setting up counterattacks difficult to do...

Unable to hit literally anybody, the Eclipse Shaman just gives up and starts targetting people at random for no reason besides making enemy phase take longer. This is such a badly designed tome, it's pointless like 99% of the time but if it does somehow hit you that one time it's a potential death!

Chad takes the first Sleep hit. That's okay, it's just more EXP for Elen! This map is chokepointy enough that getting slept would only waste time and not potentially cause a death.

Here is Ein. Ein is German for one. This guy is one guy. Coincidence? Highly unlikely... Manaketes have terrible bases but have their stats boosted by their equipment, which is almost the same as having good bases except those stats will go away if you when their stone breaks, a thing the AI is unfortunately immune to. The game for whatever reason doesn't tell you the might of stones, but you can still see how much damage the units using them can do in the stats scren anyway. At least it's not like Shadow Dragon where even the stat boosts are invisible and you'd get surpirse doubled by dragons who's stats are a complete mystery to you unless you reverse engineer their effective speed stats from their displayed avoid.

This wall has a whopping 100 HP, but if break it you can get inside to defeat all the bow users hiding in the walls at close range and make things much easier for your units on the left. There's not much to do on the right side of the map anyway, so it's not a bad idea...

It might take a little while. Shooting arrows at a wall to break it down seems like it would be the least efficient way possible of doing that. Probably dangerous too, what if one ricochets off and hits you in the eye?

Come on Sin, Lilina's showing you up! You really can never trust anything lower than a 100...

Apparently this Steel Blade is so heavy that Ogier cannot even double a Knight with one. Or maybe he's just slow...? When's the last time he leveled up in speed?

Answer is: it's both. Ogier loses like 6 speed from it, putting him just short of being able to double a 3 speed Knight. That's a bit embarrassing! Dieck wouldn't lose this much.

Ahh! Larum is in literally no danger here but she has her own unique theme for being under attack that's different from her regular dancing theme... It exists to make you panic because you probably screwed up if you're hearing it. It's a bit like the danger music from Fates.

That's the second use of Sleep gone. Sloth is one of the 7 deadly sins...

Even at this point in the game I'm still using Marcus whenever I need somebody to tank both physical and magical attacks. Sin with a Barrier staff used on him would probably have also worked, but he's in danger of killing all the Shamans who attack him and getting hit way more times than I want.

That's all 3 reaver weapons obtained! I don't even think I've used a single one of these yet. This Lancereaver is definitely going to be used to keep Roy safe during the Wyvern spam endgame maps.

I am not going to use Durandal to break this wall but it would be really funny if I did. I've seen Eliwood's special sprite for using this weapon, it looks more like a blunt instrument for bashing things down than it does an actual sword.

This might not be the most optimal use of Lance's abilities, but I have an idea: I'm going to send him up to drain all the uses of this Priest's Sleep staff. Lot and Dorothy can fight the enemies inside of the walls... In fact now I think about it this definitely was not at all the optimal way to use my ultra powerful super Paladin, but it was funny to me at the time.

He can at least hang out by the wall and throw things at the Archers to soften them up while he gets into position. I guess by doing things this way the EXP goes to Dorothy and Lot instead of him, but he's only a slightly higher level than they are anyway.

Oops! That's the last use of the bottom Sleep staff and I don't have any Restore users on this side. I can't believe this guy hit all of his shots, what a jerk!

This guard is completely and utterly useless at his job, all he has is a ranged tome and he can't even hit the invaders currently in the same room as him with it. I'd spare him out of pity were he not filled with tasty EXP!

Aircalibur is decently accurate and deals effective damage against fliers. Every map from here on out is going to be absolutely packed with Wyverns, so this is your Wyvern deleltion device.

It's still only turn 5 or so, I can afford to be a little slow and cowardly with the kills I make. Lot could absolutely tear through this hallway on his own if I'd sent him on this side, but I would rather not feed everything to my already promoted guys.

Lot used to be inaccurate once upon a time, now he's outsniping Snipers. Is he going to be my secret weapon for clearing Sacae?

Oh well that's not sporting at all, you come back and settle this duel like a man! I didn't even know he had a healing item. I'd hit him with Dorothy but she's asleep...

Oops! And ow, that's painful. I didn't even see that those enemies could attack over this wall... Maybe I can use this chance to feed them to Sin while I untangle the corridor of magic and bows.

I think that guard Shaman would be a little more effective if he had this. This might seem like a rather crappy prize considering Flux is the basic dark magic tome, but you're supposed to give this to Raigh so he's not forced to waste his valuable Nosferatu tome when he doesn't need to. I don't think they've been buyable up to this point either.

Wow, thank you Elen! You'd be a pretty powerful magical force if I remembered to give you any tomes.

Boo. Don't embarrass me with my decision not to promote you early! Although I guess I shouldn't complain about more skill.

Dorothy will like this weapon a lot, especially since she only loses 2 points of speed from wielding it. Sin probably doesn't have the rank to equip it yet...

Lance is ready for his general anaesthetic! Every use of this staff now is one less use I'll have to deal with when trying to break into the boss room. This strategy probably wouldn't have accomplished very much had Lance not dodged any of these.

The Eclipse Shaman dies in Ogier's one contribution to this map. He's already bulkier than Echidna is, but otherwise he seems kind of like dead weight. Is there even much point to me training him? I might accomplish more by putting whichever prepromote is currently best in his deployment slot instead...

That's two Elysian Whips now, one for Melady and one for Zeiss if all goes to plan! If all does not go to plan then presumably one of them has died and I don't get to unlock the 21x gaiden and therefore the secret ending.

Lilina's used the robe but is still holding onto her wings. She probably had a few chances to use it already, I just forgot. With 32 HP she should be able to avoid being OHKO'd by anything that's not either a crit or an attack from a boss, at least for a while...

The Sniper from before has ran as far away as he possibily can and backed himself into a corner. I guess he's Roy's problem now.

Haha, missed again! If only Lance was doing something more useful, for example chasing a runaway Sniper...

Larum gets some much needed bulk while Sin gets more accurate but not much else. I don't think Larum's ever going to reach the dodgetank levels that some dancers can if you allow them to reach super high levels, but if she can survive even one hit she couldn't at base then I'll be happy.

That's all the loot in the map now. It occurs to me that this game gives you both money and gems from chests... I guess gems you can at least steal back from Thieves?

No it's not, we got it all! Now go away.

No I didn't mean that literally, come back! I need you to talk to Roy so he can recruit you! Maybe I should have left a single chest open on the left to lure her over...

That's all the Sleeps gone. Was it worth it? Probably not, but at least it'll be easier getting into the throne room now.

Now Dorothy's awake and ready to hunt some Priests for EXP. I can only assume she's thinking of Saul while she does this.

Now Lance can do something more useful, like unclogging the left chokepoint to get Roy and Chad through it a little faster. Never make yourself a roadblock if you don't want to die!

This guy is now refusing to move at all, he won't even budge to attack people in range. It's probably safe to start moving my guys through, but I don't know that for sure...

Without any treasure available I had expected Cath to flee, but she's just standing there. Maybe her path to the exit is blocked? I'm perfectly fine with not recruiting her now (or ever), but if I could get her to swing over to where Roy is that would still be nice...

I've still got 10 turns left if I really want to send Roy over I suppose. Someone could always grab him and rush him back to the throne.

That's good to know, thank you for shouting your plans out loud! There's two sets of reinforcements this map, one of which I won't be seeing at all if I can beat this in under 20 turns to get the gaiden.

Oh nope, looks like Cath's moving to the left now? Maybe if I keep my units blocking her path she'll head all the way to where Roy is.

I wasted too many turns staring down this Sniper. He didn't move at all, instead only attacking units who ended their turns right next to him. At least his weird AI made it easy to feed Lilina this kill!

Raigh doesn't move either, but that's only because he's not actually a real soldier. If I were him and I saw this huge group killing all the guys I was disguising as, I would probably start painting myself blue or at least green.

Even after Astolfo moves Cath still heads over to Roy. I won't question it! This is very nice and helpful of her to do.

Your orphanage and your adoptive father figure (who might have been Lucius?) all got owned while you were off dragonspotting! Also your twin brother but you don't need to know that. Come join us, we are going to see (and kill) so many dragons.

Raigh is an evil toddler who uses dark magic. I don't know how old he's actually supposed to be but he looks like a baby. He's going to be so upset when he realises that he doesn't get HM bonuses yet the already great Wyvern Rider who only appears as an enemy during a cutscene does.

HP: 55%
MAG: 45%
SKL: 55%
SPD: 40%
LCK: 15%
RES: 35%

Support Partners: Lugh, Chad, Hugh, Niime, Sophia

Raigh is another one of those characters I have literally never used, so this analysis is going to be somewhat dubious. I would like to use him though! He at the very least seems interesting.

I don't really know what to say about this guy, honestly. He seems cool on paper. Flux is as powerful as Elfire, Nosferatu is an incredibly potent if slightly inaccurate survival tool that you can buy more of as soon as you hit Chapter 14 (although it is very expensive...), and his magic and speed growths are both pretty decent. Unfortunately he's also quite slow at base, especially considering the speed loss he suffers from his tomes, and he's one of the many characters competing for the small number of Guiding Rings the game gives you. His promotion gains are good, especially the +4 to magic, but I wouldn't want to spend the first or even second ring on him... I think he could make a pretty good Nosferatu tank if trained up and given a support partner, but the question is if he's even worth training up at all. At least he's better than Sophia! But he is also worse than Niime, and when the best dark tomes are either expensive or limited in number, being outclassed is more of a problem than normal.

My Rating: 4.5/10. Maybe using him will change my mind!

Axe dudes from the bottom right, sword guys from the bottom left, dragon jerks from the top right. I don't think any of these enemies are going to reach me before the map ends...

Because as soon as I've grabbed Cath I'm speeding on out of here. Join me and add your lockpicks to the pile!

Roy has decided that stealing from the rich is actually cool and good. Chad and Astolfo were free agents merely associating with Roy, you can steal with his direct approval!

Cath will wait patiently for Roy to rebuild her village, but only for 25 turns. Don't worry, we'll build a way cooler village with a pool table and water slides!

Here's thief number 3! Cath's recruitment is an interesting concept, it's a shame she's so unremarkable as a unit. She really deserves better stats for all the trouble you have to go through to recruit her.

HP: 80%
STR: 40%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 85%
LCK: 50%

Affinity Anima (Attack, Defense, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Geese, Chad, Garret, Hugh, Bartre

Cath's growths don't matter because there is no reason for you to train her or even have her partipate in combat. She has worse bases than an untrained Astolfo, but better bases than an untrained Chad. So I guess she's the Thief you use if Astolfo died or you need extra to steal as much stuff as quickly as possible. That's it! There is otherwise nothing interesting or unique about her as a unit, she is just Thief Number Three.

My Rating: 7/10. This rating is entirely arbitrary.

Cath will atone for her life as crime by working as a door key instead. It's faster than busting down the wall to the east, and lockpicks are never in short supply anyway. Come to think of it, couldn't Lance have broken in instead of just standing there?

I don't think there's reinforcements coming from these stairs, but I'll block them just in case. You never know...

Manaketes have no range, which makes them sitting ducks as stationary bosses. I think every transformation takes up a Dragonstone use even if they don't attack, so you could break his only weapon through repeated chip damage if you really wanted... You would probably run out of turns and miss out on the gaiden if you did though, it would take some time.

Pew! Fire is weirdly effective against this Fire Dragon. Manaketes have worse resistance than defense so magic isn't a bad way of dealing with them... But even so, it would take a while for Lilina to chip this guy down.

This is what that Wyrmslayer was for. Roy's hit here is a little dubious, but if he misses I can heal him back up or Rescue him. Your girlfriend weakened him, now deal the finishing blow!

Well it's not quite the Binding Blade but it did the trick. A skilled Roy can beat any dragon!

Whenever the combat forecast dips you can see that Manaketes actually wrap around the battle screen to form almost a full circle. It's a rather weird effect visually, but I guess it does communicate that they are in fact very big.

100 EXP exactly, nice! Thanks to his Dragonshield, Roy is now more bulky than he is strong. This Roy is certainly not doing well on the strength front, that's his 4th proc in 16 levels...

Two more violations of the Geneva Convention and then we can go. Hooray, Raigh contributed! Hopefully he'll accomplish a little more next map.

All done in a cool 15 turns. By my standards that's pretty good... I'm sure I could have done it much faster had I rushed the map with Lance and Lot though. There's going to be a couple more maps in the future that require beating in under 20 or so turns in order to unlock their respective gaidens, and they'll be much tougher than this one...

Yes Roy it was very cool how you killed that dragon, maybe lay off the sarcasm a little. They won't be so easy when they're not standing completely still!

Woah, cool! Let's go get that. I sure hope it's not cursed! Elffin is our good friend and would definitely tell us beforehand if Armads had some kind of curse upon it dooming the wielder to die a violent death in battle.

Next time: The stink cave

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 7, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Raigh?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

midnight lasagna posted:

The attempt on his life having left him scaled and deformed, Dragon Palpatine is the real real boss of this map. I think we're overdue a monstrous-looking Manakete as a playable character, they'd make a nice break from all the 1000 year old toddlers. Bantu doesn't count because he's bad.
Bantu counts because he is cool and a good dragon grandpa. You take that back!! (Well he might not count as monstrous-looking because he's a cool dragon grandpa...)

quote:

Here is Ein. Ein is German for one. This guy is one guy. Coincidence? Highly unlikely... Manaketes have terrible bases but have their stats boosted by their equipment, which is almost the same as having good bases except those stats will go away if you play in the cheesiest way possible and break their Dragonstones through intense turtling. The game for whatever reason doesn't tell you the might of stones, but you can still see how much damage the units using them can do in the stats scren anyway. At least it's not like Shadow Dragon where even the stat boosts are invisible and you'd get surpirse doubled by dragons who's stats are a complete mystery to you unless you reverse engineer their effective speed stats from their displayed avoid.

I feel like breaking a weapon with --/-- durability would be a mite hard :v: Unless you're talking about what can happen to our manakete because this game is very rude...

Also this wasn't shown in the update but the animation for manaketes turning into fire dragons looks really cool. In general I really like them wrapping around the tile...

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

LiefKatano posted:

I feel like breaking a weapon with --/-- durability would be a mite hard :v: Unless you're talking about what can happen to our manakete because this game is very rude...
Oops! That must be me thinking about Shadow Dragon, specifically that one dragon boss in the earlygame who you can chuck Hand Axes at until his stone breaks.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

How is "manakete" supposed to be pronounced, anyway

In my head it's always rhymed with parakeet

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man uh ket

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

mah-NAKE-tuh

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mahna mahna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Chillgamesh posted:

yeah I've always pronounced it this way

no idea if it's right though

Also Cath- an interesting recruitment design, with really not that much of a reward

I've had her turn out okayish in the few runs I've done of this game, but as you said, she basically only exists if your Astolfo is dead and Chad untrained. Or I guess if you need a lot of thieves.

I still think it'll be a long time before waiting patiently for 25 turns stops being entertaining to me.