Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Fire Emblem is a fantasy strategy role-playing game (SRPG) video game franchise developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. The series first started on the NES in 1990, and has been going strong for over 30 years with numerous installments for different platforms. Each game features its own unique story, with casts of colourful and varied characters with a rich variety of personalities, stats, and backstories.

The Fire Emblem series is somewhat unique thanks to its "permadeath" system - if a character is defeated in combat they're gone for good. Not only does this create extra challenge for the player and place a large emphasis on careful and consistent strategising, it also helps encourage the player to care about the soldiers under their care even more, knowing that one wrong move could result in their favourite character being lost forever. Character deaths and even close calls that they barely survive help to create an emergent narrative in the player's mind that allows the story to evolve beyond what is written in the game's plot iself...

...or well that's the idea. Most players just reset when a character they like dies. As the series shifted more and more towards character-focused stories it became harder to account for any character being able to die, so any plot-important character whose HP reaches 0 instead "retreats", disappearing from your roster but still acting in every cutscene as if they were still perfectly healthy. All Fire Emblem games from New Mystery onward have introduced an optional "casual mode" in which fallen units merely retreat from combat to be usable again in the next map with no lasting penalty for their "death". Over the years permadeath has gone from a core concept of the series's gameplay to a weird artefact of early game design sensibilities that feels at odds with the stories the games are trying to tell today.

But one thing still holds true - tragedy makes great content.

Welcome to my Ironman Let's Play of Fire Emblem 6's Hard Mode - otherwise known as "Fire Emblem: Binding Blade", or perhaps "Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals" if you followed the series before this game's name was given an official English localisation.

FE6 was the first FE game to be released for the GBA, and the first FE game not to have been developed by Shouzou Kaga. It was also the last game in the series not to have been released outside of Japan until FE12 many years later. It's the game with Roy in it.

Ironman?
An Ironman is the fanmade term for a playthrough in which you do not reset the game when a player character dies. In this case I'll be taking that definition to its logical extreme - if Roy, the main character, dies, the game and the LP will be over. So this might be a very short playthrough! Although if that happens within the first few chapters I'll probably just start again from the beginning. I also won't be resetting if I fail to meet any of the game's requirements for the game's true ending, so if I play poorly enough then this LP might end prematurely with me defeating Zephiel.

I picked FE6 for this since I think it reprents a nice happy medium between the more permadeath-focused older games and the more streamlined and user friendly newer games. The cast is very large and full of units who perform similarly, but the late joiners aren't always better than the units they might be replacing, so character deaths will be punishing but not ruinous. It's also difficult without being too difficult. So hopefully it'll make me suffer without killing me outright!

From what I've seen there aren't many Let's Plays in the archive like this, so I'm hoping with this LP I can share a fun way of playing the game that not many people choose to do... But in all honestly my primary motivator is that I hate having to scrap an hour's worth of gameplay due to some stupid mistake right at the end that gets a character killed. By playing this way I can ensure that my mistakes won't be time wasters... They'll be content!!!

What translation patch will you be using?
This one. I think all the names are up to date with the current English localisations provided by Heroes as of now, but if not then I'll still be calling characters and items by the names used in this patch for simplicity's sake.

Are you going to cover the game's story?
Nah. Other LPs have done that already, and I prefer a much more fast and loose approach to LPs where I don't have to painstakingly transcribe all the dialogue of a plot I don't particularly care much about in the first place. Not that I'm saying the plot of this game or the quality of the translation patch are bad (the latter is excellent at least), it's just not the focus of the LP. For this reason I don't care about spoilers and I won't mind if you post them. I'll probably post a lot of them myself...

Are you going to cover the game's mechanics?
A little? I'm assuming if you're reading this that you already know at least a little about Fire Emblem. I won't be explaining the core mechanics of FE or anything, but I will try my best to explain what I'm doing and why as I play. I'll also be writing little analyses of the game's various characters as they join my army where I show their stats and growth rates and talk a little about how good I think they are. These won't be very detailed analyses though, I am absolutely not an expert at this game and I there's a large number of characters I have never even used.

This will however not stop me from giving each unit an entirely arbitrary numerical rating out of 10 on how good I think they are. I'm going to keep a little tally of them and then compare them all at the end to see if they make sense. They probably won't! It's just fun to have opinions.

Why aren't you playing Project Ember?
Project Ember is a fanmade patch of FE6 that overhauls a lot of the game's existing balance and mechanics. It's very popular and has gotten a lot of positive attention... I've never played it though, and it's a rather different game from vanilla FE6. I'm sure it's very good and I'd have a lot of fun with it, but it's not what I want to play right now.

Will there be any audience participation?
Maybe! Unlike my past two Fates LPs in which I had decided who I wanted to use in advance, I'm going to be a little more flexible about who I train up this time around. And only partly because it's hard to make any real long term plans when anyone can be killed off for good. If there's any characters people want me to use I'll try my best to use them, but no promises! I'll also leave this game's two route splits up to reader choice, but I can't guarantee that the characters required to access certain paths will stay alive.

I think that about covers it. I'm not good at writing introductions... Let's go get some people killed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Updates:

Chapter 1: Dawn of Destiny
Chapter 2: The Princess of Bern
Chapter 3: Latecomer's Sorrow
Chapter 4: Crumbling League
Chapter 5: Fire Emblem
Chapter 6: Ensnared
Chapter 7: The Ostian Revolt
Chapter 8: Reunion

Fanart:

Vilkacis

Nuns with guns. I bet Project Ember doesn't have this.

The souls of the damned are doomed eternally to haunt this spoiler tags below. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled on who dies!

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2022

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade... Now I've had the time to ruminate on it, I think I like this name better than Sword of Seals. Although I do miss the old translation patch's redundant Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem logo.

It's gotta be Hard mode. FE6 I feel is on the tougher side of FE games... it's definitely the hardest of the GBA titles, anyway. The enemies are tough, your units are weak, and unlike more modern games the enemy reinforcements get to move the turn they appear. I'm probably going to lose at least one of my units to that!

There's no prologue in this game unless you count the optional tutorial you can access in the menu somewhere. It has no bearing on any of your save files and I'd like to think I already know how to play this game, so I'll be diving straight into Chapter 1.

I'm not going to focus on the plot beyond a couple of screenshots before and after each chapter. Here's the lore of this world: humans and dragons coexisted in peace, then the humans killed most of the dragons and drove them out of their land, and now everything is peaceful again. It's not a very sympathetic backstory for the humans... Definitely an interesting choice of setting though.

All Fire Emblem games begin with Bad Man of Bad Country doing an invasion. Zephiel is Bad Man, Bern is Bad Country. That's easy to remember!

Here to stop him is Good Guy of Good Country. Don't believe Lycian propaganda - their country has the exact same tileset as Bern.

Roy is the son of Eliwood, one of the protagonists of this game's prequel. Unlike most FE dads he is not dead, but he is old and sick and useless. As opposed to how he is in FE7 where he is young and healthy and useless.

But before we can get into any politics, we must fight some bandits. They're not just smashing a few villages - they've claimed Castle Pharae itself! All these guys need to do is off Eliwood and his son and we'll have the series's first bandit lord.

Good thing we're here to stop them. We've got quite the motley crew here - two Cavaliers, a Paladin, an Archer, and a Knight. All we need is a Pegasus Knight and we'll have the OG squad from Shadow Dragon.

Here's an overview of this map I took from the excellent Triangle Attack fan website. It and Fire Emblem: War of Dragons are both great resources for Fire Emblem games, and a very handy thing to have open in the background while you're playing. This, like all maps in FE6, is a standard seize - get Roy from where he starts to the castle gate and kill the guys blocking his way. There's a single Brigand among the Fighters who will target the lone village to the south. The village ruins were there from the start and cannot be saved, but if you peak in the game's code you'll see that were it possible to somehow visit it before the cutscene started you would be rewarded with a nice 5000G. Would be nice to have...

Damas (a relative of Dorcas???) is currently holding the castle under seige. He's quite a tough cookie, even despite his 63% hit rate - he's definitely strong enough to kill at least 2 of my starting squad in a single hit. Thankfully he won't move from his throne, and he doesn't have any ranged weapons either...

An interesting thing about earlier FE games is that enemy stats are slightly random. In Hard Mode this randomness applies to bosses, too. Sometimes whether or not a boss can kill certain units in a single hit or avoid being doubled comes entirely down to the whims of the RNG.

Despite being the same level and class, these two generic enemies have somewhat different stats. Not by much, but this variance does mean you might have to look at the stats of multiple enemies to make sure your units will survive, rather than making assumptions. I'm used to Fates in which enemies of the same class and level will always be the exact same, skills aside...

Thankfully this randomess won't apply to our own unit's stats... At least not yet! The starting squad at least will always be the same. There's no rerolling for a slightly better Marcus.

Here is Roy, the protagonist and hero of this story. After his debut in Smash Bros Melee he finally gets a game to himself...

HP: 80%
STR: 40%
SKL: 50%
SPD: 40%
LCK: 60%
DEF: 25%
RES: 30%

Affinity: Fire (Attack, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical)
Support Partners: Lilina, Marcus, Wolt, Cecilia, Sophia, Sue, Shanna, Lalum, Alen, Lance

Roy is currently ranked D list in Melee's tier list. His long grab and the his sword give him a very far reach compared to other characters, but his significant flaws prevent him from doing well in many of his matchups. The strange hitboxes on some of his moves suggest he was a rushed last minute addition to the cast, with many of his moves being copied straight from Marth and hastily edited to be slower without the hitboxes themselves being properly updated to match.

He also has the reputation of being one of the worst, if not the worst lord in all of Fire Emblem. His base stats are underwhelming, his growths are mediocre, he lacks a mount and cannot use any weapons but swords, and he cannot promote until the game is almost over... But you do have to put things into perspective. He's fast enough to avoid being doubled by all but the speediest enemies for a while, he uses the most accurate weapon type in a game where hitrates are garbage, most of the foes he'll be facing in the earlygame where he's at his best are axe users, and he's got his Rapier to deal effective damage against troublesome Cavaliers and Knights. His growths might look bad in a vacuum, but when you compare them to the rest of the cast he comes out looking better in comparison than his father does. I think there's at least 2 different lords you could argue are worse than he is.

Of course my Roy has an extra complication of being my failure condition. If he dies then this LP is over. I have two ways to avoid this - either feed Roy as much EXP as possible to make him good in combat and hard to kill, or keep him as far away from danger as possible to make sure he never risks death if at all possible. I think I'm going to take the first option, at least for a little while... I'll give him EXP while his enemies are relatively weak and using weapons that are ineffective against him. Maybe he'll turn out great! Or maybe he'll only ever level up in HP. As long as it helps him survive... In the endgame he'll become a monster once he promotes and gains access to the Binding Blade, but that's a long way off yet. I don't even know if I'll get that far.

My Rating: 6.5/10. Not great, but you do get him for free. May as well make use of him!

Marcus is back! Or well technically this was his first appearence in game order... Just not timeline order. He is old now.

HP: 60%
STR: 25%
SKL: 20%
SPD: 25%
LCK: 20%
DEF: 15%
RES: 20%

Affinity: Ice (Defense, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Roy, Alen, Lance, Wolt, Lilina

The ravages of time have not been kind to Marcus. FE7's younger Marcus might still have technically been a jeigan, but with his insane bases and good enough growths he could avoid "falling off" until Endgame if he managed to steal enough EXP. FE6's Marcus is more of a traditional Paladin prepromote in that his bases aren't all that much better than your starting Cavaliers, and his growths may as well not exist at all... Still though, he's tough to kill, he's fast enough to double most enemies, and he's got a Silver Lance that nobody but him has any chance of being able to use for a long time. You might be able to avoid using him in Normal, but good luck surviving without him in Hard.

My Rating: 9/10. Falls off, but without him your other units won't even be getting on.

Alen is the Cain to Lance's Abel, which in FE terms means he's the Cavalier with better strength but worse speed. I don't know if he has any personality traits besides being red.

HP: 85%
STR: 45%
SKL: 40%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 40%
DEF: 25%
RES: 10%

Support Partners: Thea, Marcus, Wolt, Lance, Wade, Roy

Alen is a Cavalier in a GBA Fire Emblem game. That means he hits hard, moves far, and for some reason gets to use two different weapon types. Both his bases and growths are great by FE6's standards too. His biggest flaw is his mediocre skill stat - when using swords against axes he'll be able to hit just fine, but thanks to FE6's low weapon accuracy all around he might struggle when using lances. He might not have the immediate usefulness of Marcus, but unlike him he'll only get better as the game progresses so long as you let him.

My Rating: 8.5/10. Good enough to last the entire game, nice to have around at the start even if he eventually hits the bench.

Lance is Green Alen... or is Alen Red Lance? Alen comes first in your unit order so I'd say Lance is Green Alen.

SKL: 45%
SPD: 50%
LCK: 35%
DEF: 20%
RES: 15%

Affinity: Anima (Attack, Defense, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Marcus, Wolt, Alen, Lott, Roy, Clarine

Lance and Alen are so similar I could have ranked both of them at the same time. None of their growth rates are the same, but they're only 5% apart in each stat. Lance however is arguably better where it counts - his higher speed will translate into better offense and defense so long as it's the difference between doubling or being doubled, and his higher skill helps with his hitrates more than Alen's higher luck. Still though, they're both similar enough that they may as well be the same. Due to this game's rather stingy distribution of promotion items you're eventually going to have to choose between one of them to promote after Chapter 8, leaving the other unpromoted until around Chapter 14... If forced to choose between the two now I would say Lance deserves it more, but they're so alike that I think it's best to use both and favour whoever gets the best luck in their early levels. You don't have to ditch the one you don't promote, they'll just end up lagging a little behind for a while...

My Rating: 8.5/10. Would be ranked a little higher than Alen on a more granular scale.

Bors has finally curled hair and a chin you could sharpen an axe on. This man could be the hero of any medieval tale going by his looks alone... What flaws could this man possibly have?

HP: 90%
STR: 30%
SKL: 30%
LCK: 50%
DEF: 35%

Affinity: Wind (Attack, Accuracy, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Lilina, Barth, Gwendolyn, Astolfo, Ogier

Turns out Bors has many flaws, although looking at his growth rates they might not be immediately obvious. Sure his strength is a little medicore, but look at his speed and defense! Even his luck is pretty good, and Knights don't tend to do well in that.

Unfortunately for Bors, he's stuck in what is possibly the worst class in the game. Knights are hurt not only by their terrible 4 tile movement range, but also by being stuck with the rather inaccurate lances. Bors will struggle to hit all the earlygame axe users he'll be facing, and even against sword users he'll be fighting the RNG more often than not. His abysmal base 3 speed also cuts into his bulk severely. 11 defense might seem good, but when most enemies are outspeeding him to hit twice it doesn't help him as much as you would think. But perhaps most damning of all is that he has to share a promotion item with the infinitely better Cavalier class, and Knight's Crests are extremely rare for how many units require them... Even the best Bors would struggle to justify promoting ahead of a medicore Lance or Alen.

My Rating: 4/10. Has potential, but struggles to make use of it. At the very least he's a warm body who can take a hit.

Wolt is an Archer, allegedly. Despite looking almost exactly like Wil from FE7, only Rebecca is canonically his parent. Wil could be his father, but so could a few other characters...

LCK: 40%

Affinity: Ice (Defense, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Roy, Marcus, Alen, Lance, Sue

Perhaps the most infamous of all the lovely Green Archer archetypes is Wolt. Looking at his bases, it's really not hard to see why... But just like Roy, Wolt's got circumstances on his side.

Archers in Fire Emblem games often struggle to find use due to how valuable the enemy phase is - they can only counterattack at 2 range, and most enemies aren't polite enough to only attack from far away. Normally there's not much a Cavalier with a Javelin or axe user with a Hand Axe can't do than an Archer can, but the terrible accuracy of weapons in FE6 allow bows a small niche in being one of the few reliable ways to do damage at range. FE6 is also full of powerful flying Wyverns to ruin your day, and having bows to hit them for supereffective damage can save you a lot of grief. Sure Wolt's stats might be complete garbage, but at least bows have a niche in this game! I personally would rate him higher than Rebecca for that alone.

My Rating: 4.5/10. Not as bad as advertised... But still bad.

Now all that's out of the way, I can actually play the game. FE6's Marcus might be my favourite jeigan in the entire series for one reason alone, and it's this: he leaves every single enemy on this map at 1HP or higher after doubling with an Iron Sword. Baiting large numbers of enemies at a time and leaving them all within killing range for my weaker units is exactly what I want from an earlygame prepromote... He could of course switch to his Silver Lance and kill anyone who attacks him in a single round, but he'll barely earn any EXP at all from doing so.

Our first objective is reaching that village to the left. It'll be a long while yet before the Brigand to the north reaches it to smash it, so I'm happy to turtle a little to ensure Marcus is taking most of the hits. I don't want to lose one of my units to a misplay in the first chapter...

The one risk of using Marcus like this is that his meaty 6% crit rate gives him a not insignificant chance of murdering the enemies I only want him to weaken. Due to his high level he's only earning 3 EXP per combat, and I don't think he'd get much more from killing.

The rest of my army can take a hit or two depending on how high the enemy's strength rolls, but they're not fast enough to double and cannot make much of a dent in their massive HP. It would take 3 of my non-Marcus characters to take down just one of these guys in a single turn.

Wolt's useful for chipping enemies into kill range too, but without weapon triangle advantage his attacks are weak and inaccurate compared to the rest of my army. Still though, being able to attack without getting hurt back is a nice skill to have!

Normally I'd be feeding as many kills as possible to one of my two Cavaliers, but I really want to get my Roy good as fast as possible to keep him alive and healthy. Ideally he'd be making these kills with an Iron Sword instead of wasting valuable Rapier uses, but right now I don't have any spare, and there are no shops here.

Bors will be seeing little to no combat as he really does not have much use here. He's too inaccurate to be at all reliable, and if I'm going to have someone tank hits I'd rather it be a unit who can actually weaken their foes in retaliation. He's just going to be on village visiting duty.

Oops, here's something I didn't think to check! At least one of the Fighters here rolled high enough on their speed that Marcus failed to double them. 8 speed isn't fast enough to double anybody besides Bors (who gets doubled by pretty much everyone anyway), but that's the kind of thing I should be checking before entering combat.

And here is why Bors isn't fighting anybody. He's weak and his terrible speed undermines his defenses, plus his movement is low so if he gets close to the enemies he's going to have a hard time getting away from them. He's not going to see any use until I start encountering enemies with other weapons in the triangle, and even then he's probably getting benched ASAP.

Ironically wearing all this heavy armour has made him good for nothing but running errands. Poor Bors, he deserves better! At least he's not like Gilliam in Sacred Stones who actually has less defense at base than a generic level 1 Knight does.

Without a healer in my starting party I have to rely on Vulneraries to heal everyone. Between all my units I've got about 12 or so uses which is a lot more than some games might give you, but I'm still a little worried about wasting these all the same. All the enemies do about 10 damage per hit, so one Vulnerary just about undoes one attack.

Here I tried to have Marcus heal up but accidentally mashed the A button without knowing he was on a village tile, causing me to have him visit it and end his turn by accident. This absolutely is not the end of the world, but it's the type of thing I want to maybe not make a habit of in an Ironman.

Roy takes an axe to the skull and gains his first level! Unfortunately he's now missing all the parts of his brain that correlate to actually useful stats... Or well maybe that's not entirely true. Skill is extra accuracy in a game where weapons miss constantly, luck is nice for avoiding crits and dodging, HP helps him not die, and res means there's less chance of Roy getting one-hit obliterated by a seige tome I wasn't paying attention to. You have to look on the bright side! It's only if he keeps getting this kind of level that I'll get mad.

Now here's what I was hoping to see. Some strength would be nice, but I can't complain about 9 speed and 7 defense this early in the game. If Alen doesn't get a level to match this one I know who I'll be considering for the Chapter 8 Knight's Crest...

The enemies are very nicely spaced out on this map, so it's easy to not get overwhelmed. There's another Fighter and an Archer hiding in the top left, but hopefully they won't bug me until I've dealt with the guys in front of the castle.

Oh my god Wolt, you cut this guy clean in half!!! Feeding kills to Wolt this early in the game is a pretty terrible idea, I'm not sure why I did this. I guess I do want to give him a chance.

Unfortunately it seems that aggroing the Fighters by the castle has also lured the other enemies over. The smashed village doesn't make as good a chokepoint as I thought it did, it seems like some of the village tiles can be walked through...

This Fighter also rolled so much defense that even after taking a hit from Alen he can still tank 3 more. Random stat variance is annoying!

Hmm. Well one bad level doesn't ruin a character, but I feel even less inclined to give kills to Alen now. Hopefully Lance won't disappoint me!

Only the boss remains. As you can see, my two Cavaliers can only risk a hit from him if they're at nearly full health. Lance can at least double him, but he barely does enough damage and will risk a 1% crit.

Wolt can't even outdamage the healing the boss gets from being on a gate. At least it's free EXP?

Bors avoids the double thanks to how much the boss's Steel Axe slows him down, but this is still a terrible idea.

The ideal solution is to weaken the boss with Marcus and then rescue him with Bors before he kills him and steals my EXP. Marcus taking a boss kill isn't the end of the world, bosses give a pretty good chunk of EXP even to promoted units. I'd still rather literally anyone else have it though.

Lance chips him a little more before getting rescued by Alen. Other games don't let you rescue mounted units, it's very convenient that this one does!

Even with his HP level, Roy straight up dies in one hit if the boss manages to touch him. Dare I risk this run on a 90%? It's only the first chapter, I say yes.

Pinned him right to the castle gate. This level I'm much happier to see. Now Roy won't die in one hit to the guy he just killed!

That's 13 turns for Chapter 1. Not too shameful, but I still played pretty slowly. I'll keep a record of turncounts just to encourage myself not to play so safe as to be horrifically boring.

Roy has been promoted to the rank of Eliwood. Unfortunately unlike his dad he won't get to have a horse after promotion.

The game teases us with the promise of a mage joining the party, but unfortunately no girls are allowed on this expedition. I can only imagine how much more useful Lilina would be if she could join now instead of underleveled in a few chapters time...

Good! That's more faith than I have!

Next time: A Ruud awakening

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
If Lilina joined your party now, she'd honestly break the game for you. A nuclear bomb mage, and Anima tomes have way too high stats in this game. In a game where weapon accuracy can be questionable, you have their basic Fire tome running around with 95 hit I believe? It's been a while, though I remember it for how glaringly obvious the difference was. Running around with 100 hit here is amazing.

She'd basically be super-Wolt for the first bit where she can chip (or chunk, rather) enemies for you so other people can get kills, and never missing means you can secure the kills you really don't want alive next turn.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fun fact: these enemies are even tougher than they're supposed to be. A few years back, it was discovered that FE6's hard mode has a bug where enemy reinforcements have hard mode bonuses applied twice. This is actually the reason that some of the recruitable enemies get hard mode bonuses (and why Perceval only gets them if you recruit him the second time he shows up). However, because you don't have access to the prep screen at the beginning of the game and the chapters just start by themselves, all of the enemies are technically coded as reinforcements.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
Oh hey, cool!

FE6 is honestly my second-least favorite, after Fates. The plot's not interesting, your units aren't great, and Berserk staves can go straight to hell. Plus, the whole "gaiden chapters" thing is...bleugh. Definitely glad I played it through once, but that's enough for me. (...well, I did play through it most of a second time, but then I got bored right at the end and it didn't change my opinion.) Always glad to see other people enjoy these games, though! Curious to see where an ironman takes us, though I'm not sure the Game Over condition will be all that meaningful - between myself and other runthroughs, I've seen this game five times and Roy is, astonishingly, very rarely problematic to keep alive, despite being "Eliwood but 5% worse at everything."

Also I struggle to think of a Lord with worse growths than Roy who isn't Leif. I believe one of the other runs I've seen did the numbers and the only ones who have lower averages at 20/1 have/gain a horse at that point.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Been a while since we had a Fire Emblem LP. I'm excited. (Mostly for the amusement that always comes from the LPer going :argh: at bad levels...)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Roy's growths are perfectly serviceable considering the game he's in. He could stand to have ~10% more speed growth, but he's otherwise fine.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Cattail Prophet posted:

Fun fact: these enemies are even tougher than they're supposed to be. A few years back, it was discovered that FE6's hard mode has a bug where enemy reinforcements have hard mode bonuses applied twice. This is actually the reason that some of the recruitable enemies get hard mode bonuses (and why Perceval only gets them if you recruit him the second time he shows up). However, because you don't have access to the prep screen at the beginning of the game and the chapters just start by themselves, all of the enemies are technically coded as reinforcements.

...No kidding? I'll just watch people deal with vanilla FE6 and stick with Project Ember, thanks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like ironman runs because its the only time lpers play the game the same way i do (im much too lazy to redo a map just bc someone died)

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm trying to pace updates a little better this time around, so I'll be doing 2 updates per week at most and making a backlog if I ever get the urge to play ahead. Not so much of one that I can't take suggestions on who to use though.

Keldulas posted:

If Lilina joined your party now, she'd honestly break the game for you. A nuclear bomb mage, and Anima tomes have way too high stats in this game. In a game where weapon accuracy can be questionable, you have their basic Fire tome running around with 95 hit I believe? It's been a while, though I remember it for how glaringly obvious the difference was. Running around with 100 hit here is amazing.

She'd basically be super-Wolt for the first bit where she can chip (or chunk, rather) enemies for you so other people can get kills, and never missing means you can secure the kills you really don't want alive next turn.
She'd definitely be pretty great. Fire tomes do indeed have 95 hit which puts them 10 points ahead of swords. They were both buffed and nerfed respectively in FE7 to have 90 hit instead. I would not be above support grinding her with Roy and Marcus just to make dealing with some of the early bosses less painful if she did join at the end of Chapter 1...

Cattail Prophet posted:

I did know the enemies in the early chapters got their bonuses applied twice, but didn't know it was due to the same thing that gives recruitable enemies hard mode bonuses. Annoyingly enough the consequence of them only working on reinforcements means that two of the recruits that need them most (Hugh and Raigh) don't get then, while Milady who's already great gets to have HM bonuses despite only ever being an enemy in a cutscene.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like ironman runs because its the only time lpers play the game the same way i do (im much too lazy to redo a map just bc someone died)
Yeah honestly that's most of the appeal. I'm not dreading Chapter 7 nearly as much as I would be just because I don't have to care about saving Treck if he decides he doesn't want to live.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SMaster777 posted:

Been a while since we had a Fire Emblem LP. I'm excited. (Mostly for the amusement that always comes from the LPer going :argh: at bad levels...)

They just finished ss LPS of both conquest and birthright. (And there's a VLP of conquest that just started as well) :ssh:

This was definitely a much more fun alternative to revelations

E: oh yeah, and there's a three houses vlp going on too.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 17, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I'm curious to see what variety of punishment the RNG has in store for you.

On the note of Project Ember, I'd love to give it a try, except for one detail: I don't play Fire Emblem on Hard Mode, not because I can't, but because I simply don't want to. So the fact that Project Ember comes with a big old "Hard Mode only, Normal mode not tested" tag just instantly turns me off. I just want to casually romp through a Fire Emblem game that's been changed up with custom stuff, is that so wrong?

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

They just finished ss LPS of both conquest and birthright. (And there's a VLP of conquest that just started as well) :ssh:

This was definitely a much more fun alternative to revelations

E: oh yeah, and there's a three houses vlp going on too.

Ah, yes, I forgot about those Fates LPs. Mostly because I try to forget about Fates itself, if I have to be perfectly honest. As for the VLPs, those just don't do it for me (I just prefer reading, is all). I was following that SSLP of 3H, then abandonment happened.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ooh, ironman FE6, this should be fun.

Honestly I kinda find FE6 a bit frustrating to play with the weird growths and awful hit rates, but I'm definitely here for this LP! :buddy:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Personally, I'm curious to see what variety of punishment the RNG has in store for you.

On the note of Project Ember, I'd love to give it a try, except for one detail: I don't play Fire Emblem on Hard Mode, not because I can't, but because I simply don't want to. So the fact that Project Ember comes with a big old "Hard Mode only, Normal mode not tested" tag just instantly turns me off. I just want to casually romp through a Fire Emblem game that's been changed up with custom stuff, is that so wrong?

I played through project ember on normal mode and didn't encounter any major issues. Only difference I noticed was that the units who normally get hard mode bonuses end up pretty bad because they needed the extra stats to keep up with the rebalanced units. Kind of interesting to do a run where Milady, Rutger and Percival are pretty bad. On normal it does seem a bit harder than normal FE6 but easier than FE6H.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

These chapter title cards actually occur after each chapter's intro blurb, I just like to have them at the start for clarity's sake. Mostly to help me make sure my links in the contents are all correct at a glance...

The titurlar princess is unimportant, what really matters is that we're getting some new allies already. Every new hire is either a valuable teammate or someone I can send to die instead of a unit I care about! Not that I have reached that level of tyranny yet.

I got 5000g last chapter, can I have the princess? I want to conscript as many soldiers as possible...

Like this one. Elen's a healer, but she's not a very good one... Still though, I'd rather have her than rely on Vulneraries. I'll go into more detail on her in a bit.

Chapter 2 is another fairly simple seize. All maps in this game besides the final one are seizes, but not all of them are simple. Thankfully no reinforcements are going to emerge from any of these forts, so we won't have to learn about ambush spawns just yet.

Merlinus is a blue haired half human half walrus hybrid who lugs around all of our stuff and gives Roy terrible advice. Unlike his past self in FE7, he starts with a horse drawn wagon from the get-go and is deployed in the same way as the rest of your soldiers.

HP: 100%
STR: 0%
SPD: 50%
LCK: 100%
RES: 5%

Affinity: Dark (Accuracy, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: None

Much like his FE7 incarnation, Merlinus has growth rates... Unlike his FE7 incarnation, Merlinus does not gain EXP just from surviving a chapter. The only way he can level up is by participating in combat, and he'll only earn 1 EXP at a time. So don't expect him to ever actually gain a level unless you have hours to spend. Deploying Merlinus allows you to retrieve items from the convoy at will, but unlike FE7 you don't need to bring him along to store them. He's handy to have around, but once you start having to choose who to bring you'll struggle to find the space to justify leaving behind one of your better units to fit him...

But Merlinus has one very, very important trait: he does not die. A KO'd Merlinus will come back in the next chapter with absolutely no penalty for his "death" besides him being temporarily unavailable after being defeated. He is essentially a character who's playing on Casual mode... Am I going to take advantage of this? Absolutely. Maybe he'll even gain a level from being repeatedly used as bait!

My Rating: 10/10. Quality bait.

Elen is the first healer the game gives you. Fire Emblem may be anime, but she's not one of those anime nuns who does lots of cool murders and has a gun.

HP: 45%
MAG: 50%
SPD: 20%
LCK: 70%
DEF: 5%
RES: 60%

Affinity: Wind (Attack, Accuracy, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Milady, Zeiss, Saul, Lugh, Chad

One look at Elen's defense base and growths will tell you she's not a unit who should be anywhere near the front lines, at least when dealing with non-magical attackers. Fortunately tanking hits isn't really something you want your healers to be doing... What's less fortunate however is her measly 1 magic base. Elen might have the best magic average at 20/20 of the three unpromoted healers the game gives you, but it'll take a long while before her growths truly kick in. On the flip side, her terrible speed growth limits how much use she can get out of her great initial 8 speed. Elen's not really a unit you'll get much long term use out of, you're best off keeping her along and then ditching her when other, better healers join with their higher staff ranks and longer movement range.

My Rating: 7/10. Outclassed, but a healer is a healer and she's the first one you get.

Merlinus's role in this map is to be my errand boy. He's going to be visiting villages and buying stuff from the shops. That's slightly more dignified than being bait...

This fort tile will make an excellent chokepoint from which to face the oncoming enemies, but I'll have to actually reach it first. Unfortunately it will be a long while before the game lets me rearrange my starting positions, so I'm stuck with Bors and Elen being closer to the action than the units I actually want.

GBA Soldiers are infamous for their comically terrible stats. FE6's are at least a little more threatening than the 0 speed losers from Sacred Stones, but they are for the most part walking sacks of EXP. If you really want to use Bors then this is his chance to shine, unlike the Fighters he can actually hit them.

Marcus as always will lead the charge and soften up the enemy. Soldiers who roll very low defenses can die cleanly to 2 hits, but thankfully these ones are tougher.

They're also slow enough that not only can Wolt actually hit them, he can double them! This combat forecast almost makes him look good.

An illusion that is instantly shattered by this awful level. I don't even think his growths are bad, they just have to put in a lot of work to make up for his awful bases. Work that they are not putting in right now.

Unfortunately not everyone can hit an 85% or so hit consistently.

It's okay, I had a contingency in mind. Alen grabs Lance, Bors takes him from Alen, Elen heals him. The rescue command is an extremely nice tool for fixing minor screwups like these.

While playing the 3DS games does make me miss rescue, it does not make me miss crappy GBA healer EXP. At a rate of 11 EXP per heal it's going to take Elen forever to reach level 10 in order to promote. I could have her obessively top up every unit who even takes a single point of damage, but I'd rather preserve this staff so a better healer can use it more wisely later.

Lance's little snafu did allow a Soldier to slip past, but the result turned out entirely harmless thanks to Wolt's quick reflexes. Not that this would have had any lasting consequences besides me having to burn a Heal use.

There's those mercenaries that were mentioned. FE6's cast size is definitely one of the larger ones in the series, and having all these units join your army at the start can be a little overwhelming... But considering I've already written off 2 of my combat units as being bad I can't really complain about getting more.

They also happen to join right next to a large group of enemies on the other side of the map. I don't think I want to deal with them all right now... With the addition of these units our army is starting to look more and more like the cast of Shadow Dragon. Unfortunately I don't have a third fighter to be Barst.

Dieck is a large shirtless man with a bunch of scars. I always imagined him as being on the older side, but his art in Heroes makes him look like a teenager...

HP: 90%
SKL: 40%
SPD: 30%
LCK: 35%

Affinity: Lightning (Defense, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Ward, Lot, Shanna, Clarine, Kleine, Rutger

Dieck is a type of unit I would arbitrarily call a "mini-Jeigan". His join level is high relative to his join time, his base stats are pretty great, but his growths are middling. He's good but not game breaking when he joins, and will slowly go from good to mediocre as his growths start to lag behind the others. He doesn't ever really "fall off" though, he'll still be perfectly fine come endgame so long as he's been getting levels.

Dieck hits hard and fast, and he's got enough HP to cushion a few hits despite his mediocre defense. Accurate and powerful sword attacks are much appreciated at this point in the game. I'll probably have him do what Marcus has been doing so far, which is to lure enemies over and weaken them for my other units to kill. He's stuck with only swords for now, but thanks to his Iron Blade he can choose between either weakning foes for the kill or ORKOing them outright at the cost of a little accuracy.

My Rating: 8.5/10. A solid dude.

It's Caeda! Or it's the unit who would be Caeda in my Shadow Dragon comparison. She's not a princess and she doesn't have a cool lance, at least not outside of Project Ember...

HP: 45%
SKL: 55%
SPD: 60%
LCK: 60%
DEF: 10%
RES: 25%

Affinity: Wind (Attack, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Dieck, Ward, Lot, Juno, Thea, Roy, Zelot

Shanna (not Thany, please slap me if I call her that by accident) is a Pegasus Knight who does Pegasus Knight things. Those include picking up your units to put them somewhere else, being fast, having terrible strength, and dying to arrows. 4 starting strength is terrible even by Pegasus Knight standards, but being fast and accurate goes a surprisingly long way in the early game at least. If nothing else her ability to ferry my units around will be very much appreciated. I don't think Shanna has much in the way of longterm combat viability without a large amount of luck in her strength growth, but pretty much every flier to join after she does will easily replace her so it's no big deal.

My Rating: 8/10. Picks people up, puts them down elsewhere. Watch out for archers!

Lot is axeman number 1, both in deployment order and usefulness. GBA Fighters have a reputation for being garbage, but maybe this one is okay?

SPD: 35%
LCK: 30%
DEF: 40%

Affinity: Anima (Attack, Defense, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Dieck, Shanna, Ward, Echidna, Lance

A base 7 strength and a 30% growth don't really fit his portrait, do they? From looking at Lot's growths you would think he's pretty awful, but there's one number that should stand out - his 40% defense growth. That's joint for highest in the entire game if you disregard the one joke character with 100% or over in every single stat who can only ever gain a single level. Of course that is a 40% growth that's going off of a 4 base, so Lot's got a Lot of leveling up to do before he can come into his own as a defensive wall, but it's a fun little niche he's got all the same. Otherwise he's just kind of okay. He will be semi-reliable chip damage for a while at worst, and possibly a lategame juggernaut at best.

My Rating: 6.5/10. Not a great unit, but a fairly unique one all the same.

Ward is the blue to Lot's orange. There is no blue/orange archetype in Fire Emblem, but I'm sure you could invent one if you wanted.

HP: 75%
STR: 50%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 20%
LCK: 45%
DEF: 30%
RES: 5%

Support Partners: Dieck, Shanna, Lot, Echidna, Alen

GBA FE tradition dictates that there must be one Fighter with a 20% speed growth per game. Their base speed stat increases by one with every game, and Ward unfortunately is the poor sap who's stuck right at the start of chronological order with a measly 5 speed. His other growths are pretty great all around, resistance aside... It's just his awful speed that stops him from being at all worth training. I did once try my best to raise him up and he did pretty okay, he hits hard and once his skill and luck kick in he'll eventually start being somewhat accurate too... But in the short term this guy cannot hit a single thing. The Hammer in his inventory might trick you into thinking he'll be effective against the boss, but doing effective damage is meaningless when your hit rates can barely reach 30%. You're better off raising Marcus's axe rank than you are expecting Ward or even his brother to hit anything with Hammers or Halberds any time soon.

My Rating: 3/10. He shows up early and that's nice, but it's always damning when the best compliment you can give someone is for their punctuality...

Words words words words words words, now it's back to the action. The Armourslayer will be handy against this chapter's boss, who I have just realised I forgot to show. Unfortunately Merlinus is very far away from the action, we're going to have to wait for him to bring it over here.

Don't let the weapon triangle disadvantage against lances discourage you, this is how you're going to be defeating Knights. The Armourslayer boasts a whopping 40% more hit than the Hammer, and your sword users are much more skilled to boot. Dieck or Marcus will put in far more work with this thing than Ward ever could with his Hammer.

The bossman himself hits hard and tanks well, and he's sat on a throne to boost his avoid to boot. Even with his terrible speed and luck you'll be struggling to hit him with most of your army. Sure it would be nice to feed the kill to someone low level, but don't stress yourself out trying and failing over and over. Marcus and Dieck will do a good enough job.

Time to meet up with those mercenaries. Unfortunately some thoughtless human being has parked himself in this fort between us and them... I'd really like to take this chokepoint for myself.

Okay, I guess that's how it's going to be with Roy. As long as he doesn't die I don't care even if he is garbage in combat.

You would think it would be best to use lances against lances instead of swords, but in FE6 the difference in accuracy between the weapons is so large that swords are always more accurate than lances regardless of weapon triangle. These Soldiers are weak enough that the extra damage from WTD doesn't really matter.

Bors has finally found a use, and it's being a human shield. These Fighters can't double him so he'll be right at home choking this point.

Meanwhile on this half of the map I could push forward to seize these two forts before the enemies do, but I think I'd rather run away and let the enemies come to me when all of my army is grouped up. I don't think there's any time incentive here...

Shanna obliterates her attacker with a regular hit followed up with a crit. I sure am glad she's the one getting crits and not Marcus, I'd much rather EXP go to her.

Boes is having fun playing forts with his friends. If Knight's Crests weren't in such short supply I'd consider using him just for fun, but I really don't want to deprive myself of another early Paladin.

Betrayal!!! I thought you were getting good levels! Maybe I shouldn't base my impressions of a unit on a single level. I'm sure he'll be fine despite this minor setback...

Meanwhile Merlinus goes shopping for some supplies. A few iron weapons and some Javelins are all I want right now. Roy needs a sword that's less valuable than his Rapier, I'd rather conserve its uses so he can stab horses in Chapter 4.

Now I'm just luring over units one by one. The forts restrict their movement, ensuring they won't overwhelm my army. I really love this stupid GBA Fighter animations.

Now this is what I want to see. Free food for Lot! I'd like to at least try raising him, but no guarantee I won't bench him.

Unfortunately this Soldier is just weak enough that Marcus would kill him outright. I can't fret over every morsel of EXP, but I would like it not to go to waste...

Ward cannot double and kill if he switches to his very heavy Hammer, setting the kill up for Shanna. Despite what I said about her longterm viability I'd like for her to get some kills too.

Unfortunately my plan may have backfired. In becoming slow enough to not double a Soldier, Ward may have weighed himself down to the point where Fighters are doubling him... This guy must have rolled really highly on his speed. Will Ward survive?

Yeah you kind of did. And by you I mean me. Ward I don't mind losing, but I'm also losing the Iron Axe and Hammer he had on him... Or well maybe I mind losing Ward a little. He's a cool guy, he can't help being slow!

Alen shall avenge his death for me. This embarassing defeat should be the wakeup call I need to start playing a little better. I can't take for granted that enemies will or will not double or be doubled, I need to check the numbers!

Well here's a nice surprise to dull the pain of the consequences of my actions. This is a much better level than Alen's first. I think this is also the first strength gain I've seen...

My strategy of letting the enemies trickle in wasn't a bad one, I just need to not equip people with stupidly heavy weapons. Lot at least is bulkier and faster than his brother.

Shanna's got enough skill and the high accuracy of the Slim Lance to somewhat counterract her WTD against most enemies here, but it's still a bit of a gamble when she fights axe users.

Meanwhile the enemies face some comically low hit percentages when attacking sword users on forts with Steel Axes. Thanks to this game's 2 RN system it uses, a displayed 9% hit is actually a little under 2%...

Shanna's true purpose on this map is to pick people up and carry them away from danger. I can have units run ahead of the forts to attack and then have Shanna take them back into safety...

All this slow turtling is allowing Merlinus to slowly catch up with my Armourslayer. I'm not going to be doing much to the boss without him so he needs to hurry up!

There's only one enemy Mercenary, but he's skilled enough to have a decent crit chance against almost all of my units. Unlike the Fighters he's also accurate and hard to hit too, so I would rather have Marcus take him out than risk a second death this early in the game. Roy has high luck to avoid crits but he's all the way in the back.

There's also a constant 1% crit chance that some enemies have against my units that I'm not too comfortable with. Lance's luck is especially poor and I'm worried about losing him to a sudden crit out of nowhere... Alen's higher luck makes him a lot safer in situations like this.

Wow, go Shanna! She needs all the strength she can get, I'm not complaining. If she can get this on a 30% growth then surely Roy can get his on a 40%...

These last two enemies don't seem to want to move, so Marcus is going to have to pay them a visit. Thankfully it's really easy to setup a mini chokepoint here. I hope if Marcus does level up he doesn't get strength just so he can keep failing to meet ORKO thresholds...

Lot whiffs an overly ambitious and levels up anyway because he had 99 EXP. This is an extremely good level, 30% strength growth especially. Maybe that's the secret to getting strength, it has to be on a 30% growth.

This Archer is so fast that not even Marcus can double him. I can't believe the first non-boss enemy Marcus couldn't kill in a single round turned out to be an Archer, they are famous for their terrible stats.

If Marcus stands here to weaken the Archer then he can also chip the boss with a counterattack on enemy phase at the same time. He'd have slightly better hit chances with his sword, but not much... Unless I grind out support ranks for accuracy I'm just going to have to deal with terrible hit rates against bosses for now.

The Armourslayer meanwhile is being slowly passed up via trade chain since Merlinus is still too far away. Nobody besides Marcus or Dieck has the C rank swords required to use it.

At long last, Marcus's first crit! This should save me a lot of effort slowly weakning Ruud's health, so long has he whiffs the second shot and doesn't kill him...

...oh. Well it saves me the trouble of slowly trying to kill him with anyone else!

Only 17 EXP though. I take back my remark about boss EXP being decent, this is nothing at all!

11 stupid turns of accidentally getting someone killed and feeding the boss kill to Marcus by mistake. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

Kaga might have left the development team but women are still getting kidnapped left and right in Fire Emblem. I hope I can conscript her into my army.

Woah! What a coincidence. I bet people get the two of you mixed up all the time.

Guinivere unfortunately does not get to join your army at all in the main campaign. You can unlock her as a unit in the optional trial maps you can play in the game's main menu, but that's postgame content I've never played and don't have any real interest in trying. I think her class is Sage?

Next time: An introduction to ambush spawns

All the dead shall be honoured with this tomestone generator website I found on google. RIP Ward! He lost 2 attack speed from wielding a Hammer that was too heavy for him and it cost him his life. This seems like the type of situation workplace regulations exist to prevent...

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
This post was gonna be about Ward's redemption being his high con so he can wield Armads without penalty but WHELP.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, if you had to lose a unit, Ward is one of the better ones to drop, I guess :rip:

That's really another thing I never cared for in FE6 - so many of your early units just have awful viability, and most players end up fielding the same cast come mid to late game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

theshim posted:

Well, if you had to lose a unit, Ward is one of the better ones to drop, I guess :rip:

That's really another thing I never cared for in FE6 - so many of your early units just have awful viability, and most players end up fielding the same cast come mid to late game.

Hey, I used Sophia on my last hard run*

*oh god, please don't attempt this. Even with an unarmed, human wall letting her hit people in perfect safety she nearly ran out of a full set of Flux tomes because she missed so often

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

Ouch, losing a hammer this early in is actually pretty rough. Still, better it be someone like Ward, than someone like... oh, say... the absolute badass that joins in about two chapters.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I mean, the beginning characters just kind of suck statistically. The only ones who aren't garbage are the cavaliers really. So it is really easy to go 'OOPS' and lose someone at random because of that.

I think the thing that bothers me most about FE Ironman is the fact that it also destroys all the gear they are carrying too. Ward's death is painful because he was carrying a hammer, not because he's actually any good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

Ouch, losing a hammer this early in is actually pretty rough. Still, better it be someone like Ward, than someone like... oh, say... the absolute badass that joins in about two chapters.

Yeah, losing clarine is run ending.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
I don't think I've ever even used Ward for long enough to get him killed, so...congratulations?

Lot was the guy I brought along to chapters 10/11B because turns out, Speed is a good stat! He's okay, he wasn't a mainstay.

Dieck is a unit I've never actually seen turn out well in like 5-6 runs! Sometimes he's fine, but man when he drops he drops like a hot rock.

Shanna had 12 strength at the end of my first run. I spent about five chapters praying she'd break double digits before endgame. In hindsight I'd have been way better off switching in Miledy but I don't think I had any Elysian Whips going spare? Although again, hindsight tells me that since she rams her caps anyway it's really only a 2-3 point loss.

...Oh, right, Shanna! She's uh, she's not very good, but she's all we have for the next eight chapters or so for fliers. At least she isn't Juno!

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Guinivere is a Sage that can use Light magic, which became standard in FE8. Kinda fun, though Light magic in general kinda goes underappreciated because this game doesn't have monks.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey, I used Sophia on my last hard run*

*oh god, please don't attempt this. Even with an unarmed, human wall letting her hit people in perfect safety she nearly ran out of a full set of Flux tomes because she missed so often

So did I!
It was a torture I wouldn't want anyone else to go through.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

A specter is haunting Elibe...

it's wade ward

'cause he's dead

that's the joke

midnight lasagna posted:

Elen is the first healer the game gives you. Fire Emblem may be anime, but she's not one of those anime nuns who does lots of cool murders and has a gun.

are you sure about that

did you check

Anyway nice to see someone tackle the only good Fire Emblem game, make sure not to get our boy killed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:allears: Oh how ive missed these.

Rip wade. not a huge loss in a game where 90% of the cast is solidly mediocre.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
RIP Ward, you were probably the best one to die.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I am so glad you are back :) Now this is a real Fire Emblem LP.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

:golfclap: Brilliant.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

vilkacis posted:

are you sure about that

did you check

This is absolutely wonderful, right down to the image names.

And I didn't know Sophia was that bad (because I never used her, but I assumed a unit joining that late in the game would be at least passable).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DeTosh posted:

This is absolutely wonderful, right down to the image names.

And I didn't know Sophia was that bad (because I never used her, but I assumed a unit joining that late in the game would be at least passable).

She's fine if you can overcome her start, but on hard that start is one shot by everything, terrible accuracy even by fe6 standards, and damage low enough that all it does is chip enemies for tiny damage.

But if you get past that she's a solid unit that performs just as well as the other dark mage that has none of that required.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I remember attempting (key word there) to watch someone play through a Reverse Recruitment hack of FE6... that resulted in Sophia being a super-early recruit. She should be WAY more useful there due to arriving so early.

They still benched her for the pre-promote Druid with next to no growths. I don't understand these people.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I remember attempting (key word there) to watch someone play through a Reverse Recruitment hack of FE6... that resulted in Sophia being a super-early recruit. She should be WAY more useful there due to arriving so early.

They still benched her for the pre-promote Druid with next to no growths. I don't understand these people.

Never use prepromotes is a very outdated way of playing the game

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yeah its mostly fear of missing out on EXP.
If all you want to do is beat the game and not play neurotically efficient wrt levels and xp. Just use the non-jeigan pre-promotes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Never use prepromotes is a very outdated way of playing the game

Niime is mostly useful for her weapon ranks, which reverse recruitment hacks should remove. You're certainly not using her for her bases and growths. The hack I found has her starting with 15 hp and 0 defense and Sophia with 15 hp, 1 defense and actual growths 2 chapters later. I would at least try Sophia under those conditions.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

She's fine if you can overcome her start, but on hard that start is one shot by everything, terrible accuracy even by fe6 standards, and damage low enough that all it does is chip enemies for tiny damage.

But if you get past that she's a solid unit that performs just as well as the other dark mage that has none of that required.

Which with a base Def of 1 and base Skl of 2, literally more than halfway through the game, is a hell of an ask. Especially as 1) you already have a Dark Mage, and 2) half your army is probably promoted in casual (ie non-ranked) play.

Man, FEGBA really hates Dark Mages...even Ray/Raigh is merely average. Then after that, Canas is the only one in FE7 and in an optional chapter, and SS gives you Knoll (bleh) and Ewan (similar to Sophia, with the advantage of being in SS)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Iirc, which tbf i might not be its been a while, knoll has the best summon units so while he himself might be blah his utility is much higher then ewans

FoolyCharged posted:

Niime is mostly useful for her weapon ranks, which reverse recruitment hacks should remove. You're certainly not using her for her bases and growths. The hack I found has her starting with 15 hp and 0 defense and Sophia with 15 hp, 1 defense and actual growths 2 chapters later. I would at least try Sophia under those conditions.

Alright i gotta confess, i got bored of 6 like...7 maps in and never finished past that, so i dont really know much about any of the units lol. I was mostly just repeating the wisdom of ff8, where the undeniably best unit is a prepromote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Iirc, which tbf i might not be its been a while, knoll has the best summon units so while he himself might be blah his utility is much higher then ewans

Alright i gotta confess, i got bored of 6 like...7 maps in and never finished past that, so i dont really know much about any of the units lol. I was mostly just repeating the wisdom of ff8, where the undeniably best unit is a prepromote

Basically Niime shows up at level 18 promoted with usable bases(outside of her hp), growths worse than Marcus, and most importantly an A rank in both dark magic and staves. There's a pretty big argument to toss her a hp booster and hand her Nosferatu and some of fe6's many high level staves rather than use Ray(I'm not even going to pretend Sophia is an option for non crazy people).

The thing about the reverse recruitment patch is that now niime is unpromoted, so she's at C rank dark magic only with no staves and basically a second jeigan that actually gains exp. Meanwhile Sophia has her biggest detriment(her incredibly stupid join level) nullified by her joining at a really early stage. So basically the person using Niime over her was biased by utility of Niime and uselessness of Sophia in normal play and not playing to the changes from the hack.

Also, fe6 has some very good pre promotes, but with one exception there comes a point where the quality falls off a cliff towards end game.