Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the amount of back tracking due to poor travel systems really hurt the flow of the story and thus its cohesiveness.

Imo having 2-3 landing points per planet Metroid Prime 3 style would fix all the travel problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just have Merrin teleport you around and complain about it every time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"I hate portals" - Cal Kestis, battle of Helm's Deep

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Since FO had none I'm assuming that EA will make up for it this time around and fill the sequel with a ton of MTX.

I hope I'm wrong.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'd bet on Merrin but I can't believe Cere is going to make it through another game.

Yeah, her eyes look like they're about to fly off her skull with the slightest effort.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The lady in the tank could be Omega from Bad Batch.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the amount of back tracking due to poor travel systems really hurt the flow of the story and thus its cohesiveness.

The garbage story that was completely pointless ruined the story

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perhaps I read too much 90s EU but I thought it was ok, it just got really stretched out.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fuzz posted:

The lady in the tank could be Omega from Bad Batch.

It's a man in the tank. You can see his pecs and nipples.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The back tracking and repeat encounters would be better if the combat in them was just a little more fun.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, I enjoyed the gameplay and story a lot, but the combat definitely felt like it needed another pass or two. The give and take between you and enemies just wasn't as polished as the games it's aping. The parrying felt weird because sometimes enemies would just continue with their combo anyway, and it seemed like there was some kind of internal cooldown on parrying so that you often couldn't parry successive hits. Kind of kills a lot of the power fantasy/satisfaction of learning the enemies and leaves the player at a loss of what you're actually supposed to do.

That said, the combat did feel really weighty, with great animations, and fighting enemies that didn't have the weird timing/parry issues I mentioned above did hit that Dark Souls-esque satisfaction of learning to counter an enemy's moveset. Tearing through the stun baton Scout troopers and reflecting barrages of blaster fire at Stormtroopers as you closed into melee range was rad. Hopefully they can polish the mechanics of the more advanced enemies for the sequel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lego BD-1 coming soon.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my big hope for 2 is all the engine and art etc kind of work and practice that's already done will give them the opportunity to make the combat at least as good as Marlow Briggs And The Mask Of Death.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lego BD-1 coming soon.

Dang, how're they going to build the shoulders/hips to have a full range of motion but still be stiff enough to stand?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lego BD-1 coming soon.

Needs a version with all the upgrades too, fortunately it is lego, so not that hard to do it yourself.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kal isn't really bland. He's a nice and forthright guy which is actually vanishingly rare in these kinds of games.

He's no Kyle Katarn but who is?
He also had a frankly shocking amount of common sense, which was refreshing to see in a Force user protagonist.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"It would be wise to surrender."

"Yeah, probably." ignites lightsaber

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed the gameplay and story a lot, but the combat definitely felt like it needed another pass or two.

I actually liked the story a lot, way more than I expected to. I think they did about as well as they could have with the premise. I specifically genuinely liked the ending where he decides to just destroy the data and not resurrect the Jedi Order, even though I know a lot of people complained about that. Even completely ignoring issues with the canon timeline, the decision made sense - there's no reason to think that repeating the ways of Jedi of the past will change anything, and it's more likely to just get everyone killed.

The combat just felt "kind of okay," though. And they really need to improve the loot.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Just give me colour crystals that aren't blue or green immediately without mods and I'll instantly give it at least a 7/10.

I love green but sometimes I wanna live my hot pink dreams okay

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The saber fights were great and the human enemies were fine but the monsters kinda sucked. Come to think of it that's also true of Sekiro

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

StashAugustine posted:

The saber fights were great and the human enemies were fine but the monsters kinda sucked. Come to think of it that's also true of Sekiro

Yeah, I really noticed that last time I played through it. When I'm running around through the worlds, I really want to be deflecting blaster bolts and taking out all sorts of random troopers, not getting repeatedly charged at by a herd of angry space pigs or whatever.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

More trooper variety with various weapon gimmicks would be nice

Deflecting all the heavy trooper's shots with the staff (and only the staff does so) is so satisfying, but they're dead after the first two reflects, which is a shame

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
At least the monsters could be dismembered. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Fallen Order has a legit really solid story about coping with survivor's guilt/embracing found family/letting go of the past. It's nothing ground breaking but it's well executed and believable.

Cal is a good character and made the right choice at the end to move on.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There is a surprising amount of dialogue among the crew that flushes them out as people if you travel back and forth a lot between the planets. Which I doubt many people did.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Unfortunately a lot of the combat depth comes in upgrades and if you’re not playing completionist you’re not unlocking a ton of them. Upgraded pull let’s you straight up force choke a stormtrooper and rag doll him off a cliff, but it’s hard to get the force powers you want while also dipping into the fun lightsaber powers and buffing your survivability on higher difficulties.

In God of War 2018 the game cheats a bit with your rune skill sets and often let them interrupt enemies while you use them, while using force powers often winds up taking hits in Jedi. Running away to use a stim while spamming dodge just feels clumsy. Same issue is handled in Arkham where later games allow quick gadgets to weave them into your flow perfectly. Both games have a much more fluid feel to the combat and that fluidity happens much faster than in Jedi where you’re kinda waiting until tier 3 skills halfway through the game to feel “forceful”

All easy tuning and timing issues the sequel can likely handle well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually had fun with the combat system and enjoyed it; it just didn't feel as polished as something like Sekiro (admittedly an extremely high bar).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I liked the gladiator pit mission, especially how you get to the location. It feels like there was supposed to be more supporting stuff around it that got cut (ya boy Greezy might mention bounty hunters and gambling debts before then, I think), but it was still a fun little diversion. Also, it's got that one song by The Hu (that was a really good musical choice by whoever was responsible for it).

I liked the game overall, and I'm glad it's getting a sequel. Fighting humans was fun, fighting beasts was not. Boss fights were mostly pretty good, and I liked the characters, especially BD-1 and Greez. Customization was good because nearly everything could be pink and/or gaudy. Hopefully the sequel has more stormtroopers to clown on, tighter combat, and fast-travel.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 29, 2022

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the only thing I'd like to see in the sequel is for the devs to finetune combat more and also give your companions more time to shine with banter and actually participating in the story.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I hope the controls are as responsive as The Force Unleashed 2, which was a massive step up on its own predecessor in that regard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fallen Order has a legit really solid story about coping with survivor's guilt/embracing found family/letting go of the past. It's nothing ground breaking but it's well executed and believable.

Cal is a good character and made the right choice at the end to move on.

Yeah. A lot of the basic elements are borrowed from ANH (the protagonist meets a former Jedi who mentors them, the Jedi's apprentice fell to the dark side and is pursuing them, the captain of the ship is a rogue with a heart of gold) but they are used in different ways and the execution is great.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Tom Tucker posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the combat depth comes in upgrades and if you’re not playing completionist you’re not unlocking a ton of them. Upgraded pull let’s you straight up force choke a stormtrooper and rag doll him off a cliff, but it’s hard to get the force powers you want while also dipping into the fun lightsaber powers and buffing your survivability on higher difficulties.

In God of War 2018 the game cheats a bit with your rune skill sets and often let them interrupt enemies while you use them, while using force powers often winds up taking hits in Jedi. Running away to use a stim while spamming dodge just feels clumsy. Same issue is handled in Arkham where later games allow quick gadgets to weave them into your flow perfectly. Both games have a much more fluid feel to the combat and that fluidity happens much faster than in Jedi where you’re kinda waiting until tier 3 skills halfway through the game to feel “forceful”

All easy tuning and timing issues the sequel can likely handle well.

Yeah, force push/pull can cancel enemies unblockable attacks, but the problem is there is a delay when you try to use it that usually results in face tanking the unblockable attack first. Like all unblockable charge attacks where the enemy runs at you can be broken with a heavy force push, it will knock them right out of it, but charging a heavy force push takes almost as long as those attacks so you rarely have the time to do it. And then you run into the boss fights or the "rabid" fights where the enemies spam unblockable attacks at a dozen times the rate you can use the force to stop them. Being able to more naturally blend the force into the combat and just having more of it would be nice.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I am still amazed that they didn't make a meditation arena based on the arena

Would've been fun if you could program the lifts to spawn an enemy once the ones not on them are dead; make your own little wave-based training mission and all that

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jedi Titanfallen Order when?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jedi Titanfallen Order when?

A giant BD-2 who you ride inside?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

AT-AT armed with huge lightsabres.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

BD-7274, execute Protocol 66

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Exactly. I'm nearly done with my 4th play through and the maps are still an abomination. They're fine just playing through the game naturally but god love you if you want to go back to clear out all the green bits you ignored when you were originally there. I have to look up on YouTube routes for half the places I'm trying to get to.

Combat still rules though. They could maybe do something like the Batman Arkham games in Survivor. It'll be a stunning game, Fallen Order looks gorgeous and UE5 will hopefully get its legs stretched without having to account for 9 year old shitboxes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just picked up Gamepass for 3 months and 1 € and started playing this. I perservered on Jedi Master difficulty for a while even with some fights taking a long time, but what finally broke me was the arena fight with waves of mobs. I never made it to the end (?) with Anti with any stims from the previous round and I just had to tone things down here.

e: Didn't realize I could start straight from the boss fight. But I will probably tone it down otherwise, because the previous areas have been quite a slog.

Otherwise I've liked the combat, the saber exchanges are quite cinematic, apart from some enemies who just hit spam attacks through your blocks (baton troopers) and having the camera be your enemy as well. It is very satisfying, though, to push enemies off bridges. Story has been fine so far, although I've only made it to the aforementioned bit.

What I really dislike is the backtracking lack of QoL. I've had several places left to explore when I get a new ability Metroidvania style but after getting a new ability, I rarely want to go back because it's just SO tedious going there and then back again through all the mobs.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have said it multiple times.

DO NOT PLAY ON THE HARDEST DIFFICULTY.

The game is designed around the Jedi Knight difficulty or whatever the second hardest one is. That is the one with the correct block and parry timings and what the game was built from the ground up around.