Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Maybe I'm a mega doomer but I half expect an element of cops to galvanize around this with "if you want to defund and attack us then fend for yourselves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

maffew buildings posted:

Maybe I'm a mega doomer but I half expect an element of cops to galvanize around this with "if you want to defund and attack us then fend for yourselves"

I'm convinced that's the klan within the kops goal since these little poo poo stains usually live when they get it all out of them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

and it'll work, because the politicians don't have the political will and some large percent of voters are too attached to any random cops nut sack to call their bluff and just disband and reform some sort of policing force with actual standards.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

It's a fantasy of mine that some department FAFO's with this.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

maffew buildings posted:

This has been a thing in Seattle since the George Floyd protests. They've basically stopped responding to non-emergency calls here and it's a mixed bag as to whether they turn up for emergencies. Seems to be on a "if I feel like it" basis. They also talk all the time about how they can't do anything because they're being defunded (they're actually getting more money lol).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Seattle must have had a decent PD before, because there's a bunch of cities that have been like this for decades.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I've been trying to think of legislative solutions that will truly cut down on gun crime. I'm a gun owner, but not a fetishist, and recognize that we have to do something. Even if polling for another AWB is higher right now, it seems like the appetite for actually implementing one will quickly fade if precedent is any guide (a sentence that made my stomach turn as I typed out the word "precedent.") I think that banning classes of firearms is going to be a political non-starter and that the current SCOTUS would be extremely unlikely to uphold any additional restrictions on firearms. So with that, I would think that the best way forward would be aimed at keeping weapons out of dangerous people's hands and making it easier for them to be removed, to wit:

1. UBC. Make all firearms transactions go through an FFL, and have the federal government pay the transfer fee. It'll be more difficult for a prohibited person to acquire a firearm, and if the government subsidizes it, it won't be a de facto poll tax that prohibits people with lower incomes from firearms ownership.

2. Expand ERPOs/"red flag" laws. Federalize them and put them into place in every state, county and town. Make it a severe crime to fraudulently report someone (a la "swatting") and hold so-called "constitutional sheriffs" who say they won't act on an ERPO to account by making them criminally liable if they fail to take action and their department civilly liable if a crime of violence happens because of their inaction. Provide a clear path to redress, subsidized by the federal government, that codifies how people can get seized firearms back as so to minimize the risk that this could turn into politically-targeted confiscation.

3. Raise the age of firearms ownership to at least 21 or gently caress it, 25. Developing brains have less impulse control or recognition of consequences. Recognizing that subsistence hunting is a thing and that there is a not-insignificant number of people who may depend on a teenager hunting to help put food on the table, issue them some sort of permit for bolt-action hunting rifles/pump-action shotguns akin to a learner's permit.

4. Properly fund and empower prosecutors to go after straw purchasers. This is not nearly prosecuted enough, and would do a lot to cut down on illicit interstate firearms trafficking.

5. Ban 80% lowers. This isn't a hobbyist thing, it's just a way to dodge UBC.

Ultimately though, we absolutely need to reconfigure society. Health care- including mental health care- is unaffordable for most everyone. Parental leave and support is non-existent unless you have a good job that guarantees it. The US is a plutocracy where the rich have absolutely gutted our social safety net, and turned us against each other as most of the country fights each other for scraps. College is unaffordable for many people without taking out exorbitant student loans that shackles them to debt early. The justice system has become a revenue-generating institution of its own by endless "quality of life" citations, court costs and the stigma of a criminal record further depressing people's life prospects. Our legislative system is undemocratic and leaves millions of people without proportional electoral representation and favors a handful of so-called swing states as the ultimate arbiters of domestic policy. Our media landscape promotes- unintentionally in some ways, deliberately in others- incitement, racism, bigotry and violence as the ultimate solution, and has led to people developing their own bifurcated sense of reality and those who don't conform to it as "the enemy." The stuff I outlined above may help cut down on certain types of firearms crime, but without addressing our sick country, the roots of violence, civil conflict and stochastic domestic terrorism are always going to be there and are only going to get worse in years to come. And that's the poo poo I don't know how to fix, and I also don't know if the country is capable of it.

Owner as well, I had a few suggestions, I got push back from some in the firearms forum but they have solutions:

In addition I'd throw a ban at the "Tee-hee it's not a SBR, it's a pistol" Semi autos, make them all NFA's. If there's a problem differentiating, separate ammo into traditional pistol and rifle classes and NFA anything that uses a rifle round.

I'd NFA gimmick triggers, binary triggers, rotary triggers, etc.

I'd turn the 4473 process into a federal firearms card with a rolling background check. It'll be a federal ID, upshot, the background check is a card swipe, cash and carry for guns, required for any semi-automatics. Useable for private transactions. If you don't want a semi-auto then you are free not to get the card and just file paperwork the old way.

I'd have a reference check for anything semi-auto, originally I said the police, but some people pointed out that may not be a good idea so Instead have a government employee at a call center do this. You could maybe do this by robocall but you'll need to make sure to catch anyone trying to game the system.

"What about all the guns still out there? hundreds of millions?" Most of them are going to sit in closets as closet queens. And most of the modern mass shootings have been done by semi-automatic pistols or rifles.

This won't stop the jaded fired worker from shooting up his work place, but it'll greatly reduce a kid/college student from running out and shooting up a school.

Of course we need single payer health care to get mental health care back on the books.

The impact to gun owners won't be dramatic.

"Oh no I can't buy my gun from a trunk of a car at Piggly Wiggly" :rolleyes:

I'm not buying the argument that all the gun owners will revolt and set ieds and do other poo poo if any attempt at gun reform/control happens.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 29, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm not buying the argument that all the gun owners will revolt and set ieds and do other poo poo if any attempt at gun reform/control happens.

There are enough one or two issue voters (guns/abortion) that any pro-gun control republican risks being primaried.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Enact the "gun to knife fight" legislation, forcibly seize ALL weapons, melt them into knives and hand back

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Godholio posted:

There are enough one or two issue voters (guns/abortion) that any pro-gun control republican risks being primaried.

Yeah, I understand that but I mean.. that I don't get is someone.. an individual wraps up their identity in firearm ownership. I mean if you are running a firearms factory or something I get that. But if you are John Smith in Pickens county Alabama with a net worth of $30k and your single issue is guns I mean... that's weird to me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Its basically the logical end of "I don't trust the government." Whether or not that belief has anything to do with reality, it's perceived as the final defense of oneself and one's home. Take that away or try to and it is seen as gutting one's safety and security.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Big K of Justice posted:

Yeah, I understand that but I mean.. that I don't get is someone.. an individual wraps up their identity in firearm ownership. I mean if you are running a firearms factory or something I get that. But if you are John Smith in Pickens county Alabama with a net worth of $30k and your single issue is guns I mean... that's weird to me.

If my brother could afford it, he would be one of those people. Fortunately he has 3 kids so he never has discretionary spending money anymore.

It took him about 5 years to piece together an AR, and he's sold off almost every gun he owns except the AR to keep his head above water. Still, guns are about the only issue he will go to the polls over (Tennessee is so gun happy that he doesn't feel like he needs to vote).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Im honestly waiting for "you libs want abortion and this is just a later abortion how come you dont like it now" to start appearing with how awful some of these people are

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Wrong Theory posted:

This is what I understand of the timeline. So the call goes out that there is a school shooting, the agent is eating lunch and hears it on his radio. Gets in his car and drives 40 miles and links up with the cops on the scene in the hallway. Not sure how much time elapses between his arrival and the janitor unlocking the door, but he enters in a stack preceded by a ballistic shield, the shooter jumps out of the closet shooting, the agent nearly gets dome checked but manages to plug the shooter. Dude had to drive 40 miles to do the cops' jobs costing time and lives most likely. At least someone ended it.

From what I read it was several guys from BORTAC. Many of them are veterans with combat experience and some are former SOF. From what I've heard, it's pretty tough to get from regular BP into BORTAC.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

They're way ahead of you, there's already right wing messaging that Uvalde cops held back because their feelings were hurt by the BLM protests.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're way ahead of you, there's already right wing messaging that Uvalde cops held back because their feelings were hurt by the BLM protests.
That.. is not the flex they think it is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do think you're going to see a sea change in response to active shooter situations in schools and workplaces. I think "shelter in place" is going to change to "escape and evade." It's antithetical to survival instinct to just wait around and hope the psychopath doesn't hit up the room you're in.

My mother's former school district's policy was to call on the PA for "Mister Lock to come to the Office," which was code to lock their doors and put a shade over their classroom door's window. She said she remembered one of the kids commenting "but won't the bad guy know there are people in the room when they see the shade?" when they were briefing (seriously, let that term digest a bit) them about the new protocols.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

stealie72 posted:

Seattle must have had a decent PD before, because there's a bunch of cities that have been like this for decades.

they were under federal oversight because they were so incredibly bad

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I want to wake up to happy news.

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1530753510353932289

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
We could spend tens, hundreds, more, billions of dollars to turn every single last school in the entire nation into an absolutely impenetrable super-max level security fortress with every teacher in the nation packing heat and it wouldn't change a loving thing. Every single person here who's been in the sandbox intuitively knows exactly what would happen. Set up a security perimeter and this kind of terroristic attack will just shift to the outside of that perimeter and attack there. Kids would get blown away at the bus stops or at the end of the day when they all get out of class or at recess or what the gently caress ever. Give motherfucking Ted Cruz his bullshit of "a single door" in every last building in the country and as long as there are this many guns in the country, this poo poo will keep happening.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Defenestrategy posted:

and it'll work, because the politicians don't have the political will and some large percent of voters are too attached to any random cops nut sack to call their bluff and just disband and reform some sort of policing force with actual standards.

It was ridiculous when the NYPD turned their back on the mayor at some ceremony and it didn’t immediately result in their senior command being fired without benefits.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

We could spend tens, hundreds, more, billions of dollars to turn every single last school in the entire nation into an absolutely impenetrable super-max level security fortress with every teacher in the nation packing heat and it wouldn't change a loving thing. Every single person here who's been in the sandbox intuitively knows exactly what would happen. Set up a security perimeter and this kind of terroristic attack will just shift to the outside of that perimeter and attack there. Kids would get blown away at the bus stops or at the end of the day when they all get out of class or at recess or what the gently caress ever. Give motherfucking Ted Cruz his bullshit of "a single door" in every last building in the country and as long as there are this many guns in the country, this poo poo will keep happening.

Something I've been thinking about the past few days is that the current "system" (such as there is one) is designed around luck-based damage mitigation. Once a kid is on campus with a gun and intent to kill, we hope that they're spotted quickly, we hope word can get across the school in time for kids and teachers to take shelter, and we hope that armed officers on campus can engage them before any students are killed. Sometimes, we get lucky and all the pieces fall into place and the system works—the student is found out, confronted, and stopped before they can hurt anyone. But if there's a weak link in the chain (No one detects the kid with the gun before they stop firing, students can't find shelter, nobody responds quickly enough to prevent deaths) children will die. And that's a really goddamn awful system!

By contrast, gun control is predicated on making everything go right for the shooter before they get to their target. Background checks and references mean they have to have a clear criminal history and someone willing to vouch for them. Longer waiting periods means there's a greater amount of time for their plans to be discovered, or even for them to simply give up and move on. Licensure requirements means even more time, training, and money are required to acquire a firearm. Storage requirements to make it more difficult to simply steal a gun from their parents. And while there's still a chance someone will slip through the cracks, it's a much reduced chance compared to the practically non-existent barriers that currently exist. And these measures wouldn't just help prevent school shootings, but would reduce the amount of guns used for other crimes and in suicides as well.

The worst part of it is, we don't even need to actually ban anything. The infrastructure of the NFA, a law passed in 1934, already exists to place heavy restrictions on firearms and accessories to the point that those items are rarely, if ever used in crimes. Make semi-auto weapons (Rifles and pistols) and high-capacity mags NFA items and you're already placed them out of the reach of most wannabee spree killers, while keeping them legal for the people with the time and interest in owning that poo poo for non-murderous purposes.

but nope, the debate is almost entirely between insane people who feel any infringement on their ability to collect as many guns as possible as quickly as possible is a violent assault on their constitutional rights, and people who think banning AR-15s is going to solve school shootings*

*though it should be said that at least they're trying something, as opposed to the literal nothing that has so far resulted in hundreds of dead children over the last two decades.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was ridiculous when the NYPD turned their back on the mayor at some ceremony and it didn’t immediately result in their senior command being fired without benefits.

Its because they're in the Strikebreakers Union. The only good union, according to some. The only union that shouldn't exist according to the sane.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

windshipper posted:

I own a shotgun and I plan on purchasing a pistol in the near future. I enjoy shooting for fun, and living in the boonies I don’t like coyotes taking out my chickens or loving with my dog. Additionally, the rightward swing of this country gives me the heebie-jeebies.

If I have to give those up because the law changes, I don’t give a gently caress and I’d celebrate it

And when the law change let's the police and former police specifically keep theirs? That's typical of most of the gun prohibition bills out there.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That Works posted:

And when the law change let's the police and former police specifically keep theirs? That's typical of most of the gun prohibition bills out there.

There’s already a federal law that allows all cops and retired cops to own whatever guns and magazines and concealed carry everywhere in the US

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Something I've been thinking about the past few days is that the current "system" (such as there is one) is designed around luck-based damage mitigation. Once a kid is on campus with a gun and intent to kill, we hope that they're spotted quickly, we hope word can get across the school in time for kids and teachers to take shelter, and we hope that armed officers on campus can engage them before any students are killed. Sometimes, we get lucky and all the pieces fall into place and the system works—the student is found out, confronted, and stopped before they can hurt anyone. But if there's a weak link in the chain (No one detects the kid with the gun before they stop firing, students can't find shelter, nobody responds quickly enough to prevent deaths) children will die. And that's a really goddamn awful system!

By contrast, gun control is predicated on making everything go right for the shooter before they get to their target. Background checks and references mean they have to have a clear criminal history and someone willing to vouch for them. Longer waiting periods means there's a greater amount of time for their plans to be discovered, or even for them to simply give up and move on. Licensure requirements means even more time, training, and money are required to acquire a firearm. Storage requirements to make it more difficult to simply steal a gun from their parents. And while there's still a chance someone will slip through the cracks, it's a much reduced chance compared to the practically non-existent barriers that currently exist. And these measures wouldn't just help prevent school shootings, but would reduce the amount of guns used for other crimes and in suicides as well.

The worst part of it is, we don't even need to actually ban anything. The infrastructure of the NFA, a law passed in 1934, already exists to place heavy restrictions on firearms and accessories to the point that those items are rarely, if ever used in crimes. Make semi-auto weapons (Rifles and pistols) and high-capacity mags NFA items and you're already placed them out of the reach of most wannabee spree killers, while keeping them legal for the people with the time and interest in owning that poo poo for non-murderous purposes.

but nope, the debate is almost entirely between insane people who feel any infringement on their ability to collect as many guns as possible as quickly as possible is a violent assault on their constitutional rights, and people who think banning AR-15s is going to solve school shootings*

*though it should be said that at least they're trying something, as opposed to the literal nothing that has so far resulted in hundreds of dead children over the last two decades.

I brought this up years ago in an argument with a friend. Her response: "The NFA doesn't actually work, there are lots of automatic weapons used in crimes that you don't hear about. My husband is an ATF agent and he tells me so."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I brought this up years ago in an argument with a friend. Her response: "The NFA doesn't actually work, there are lots of automatic weapons used in crimes that you don't hear about. My husband is an ATF agent and he tells me so."
Does she also have an uncle that works at Nintendo?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

A serious boyfriend in Canada.

You wouldn't know him.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Existing while improperly registered" is use in a crime so technically true but certainly not what she's trying to imply

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

There’s already a federal law that allows all cops and retired cops to own whatever guns and magazines and concealed carry everywhere in the US

That's not true as written.

quote:

LEOSA does not exempt individuals carrying under the privilege it affords from laws prohibiting the possession of firearms on private property, Federal buildings (or parts thereof), installations and parklands, Gun Free School Zones and any State or local government property installation, building, base or park. The law also does not supersede state or local laws regulating magazine capacities.

So it does let police with proper ID carry regardless of state law. It does not allow them to own any firearm they want or give them unlimited carry privilege to areas that are designated for no one to carry save active law enforcement.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stealie72 posted:

Actually I do know her husband and he does work for ATF. But I still don't believe it.

shame on an IGA posted:

"Existing while improperly registered" is use in a crime so technically true but certainly not what she's trying to imply

That's my assumption.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

That's not true as written.

So it does let police with proper ID carry regardless of state law. It does not allow them to own any firearm they want or give them unlimited carry privilege to areas that are designated for no one to carry save active law enforcement.

Oh gotcha. I thought it was extremely far reaching

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Usually people are talking about *registered* NFA being used in crimes. Which is single digits because they’re almost all in the hands of collectors and worth 10s of thousands of dollars. And if I remember correctly half of the single digit cases were cops using department weapons in crimes.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In fairness to Agent Dogkiller, automatice weapons use in crime has skyrocketed the last few years, due to the cheap proliferation of FA kits and conversions.

The NFA doesn't work at all. The sheer number of full autos and silencers I've seen with no serial numbers- by otherwise law abiding dudes- is staggering. Just most people get them to turn money into noise and pumpkins into puree.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/29/nancy-pelosi-husband-paul-arrested-dui-napa/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

82 is too old to be driving alone at night, lat alone getting a DUI. Irresponsible AF.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the real question is if he will see any consequences beyond arrest and a tut-tutting

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
We've got a culture where it's practically unthinkable to invalidate a dangerous driver's license if that driver is wealthy and/or white.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zamujasa posted:

the real question is if he will see any consequences beyond arrest and a tut-tutting

Lol.

I think we all know nothing will come of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

We won't.