Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 1

Page 2

The pages are pretty big; tell me if I should e.g. cut them up into smaller portions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnar34 posted:

At first I thought you were talking about Power Up and I was all ready to loving go.

I would never

I'm going to reread abbeycourt manor just for the impossibly dumbassed man in the iron mask storyline

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hempuli posted:

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 1

"I'm hampered by reality" is an absolutely excellent way to explain why you don't like someone

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was always of the opinion that people to whom English is a second language make better use of it than most native speakers.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

By popular demand posted:

I was always of the opinion that people to whom English is a second language make better use of it than most native speakers.

That's ridiculous. Look, I live in Australia and

oh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

By popular demand posted:

Really not always, but with (good) writing it can mean that they put a lot of thought into what they write that a native speaker might take for granted.

some plague rats posted:

"I'm hampered by reality" is an absolutely excellent way to explain why you don't like someone

It explains a lot about his personality and relationships in one sentence, too.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I like the half life comic! It's interesting to read the comics on how it's made, and the behind scenes photos are fun.

Hempuli posted:

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 1

Page 2

The pages are pretty big; tell me if I should e.g. cut them up into smaller portions!

I think it's an okay size

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just saw another SMBC that is my new favorite

You go, Sally

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The Pokémon comic really subverts expectations, in that it's about a hundred times better than the hook of "ultraviolent Pokémon fanfic comic" would lead you to believe.

It's quick and easy to read too, not my favorite comic but not bad either, and it's improved as it's gone on.

Kind of the opposite of Property of Hate, which had a cool mysterious premise that really interested me, and fantastic artwork, and is completely ifuckingllegible now, and the clean, trippy artwork has turned into an eye-searing ugly mess. Additionally the author completely destroyed the narrative pacing, you're supposed to trickle out details of a story like they're setting up, and they just haven't done that, it's frustrating as hell to read.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Perestroika posted:

It may be :spergin:, but I really appreciate a comic showing armour actually doing something. That's so rare to see in pretty much any sort of media.

Also two-swords guy continuing the trend of everybody just having a great time. :allears:

Can't get more happy than this. This us like the ultimate happy psycho guy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

"the in-universe mechanics are totally internally consistent in complex ways, it just happens that our focal characters aren't interested in them" is a tried and true narrative device, but I appreciate that they went the extra mile and had all the technobabble on panel regardless

also raider is back, still fabulous as hell

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

CzarChasm posted:

You go, Sally

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hempuli posted:

Lies, Sisters and Wives

Thanks for picking it up, I'll keep reading this one.

But also I will never not laugh at lines like this compared to the character art :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CzarChasm posted:

You go, Sally

Finally it worked

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hempuli posted:

Lies, Sisters and Wives

Page size is fine but the comic's short and there are enough cliffhangers that posting one per day is probably the right approach.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wish we had a [collapse] tag or something because some of these author notes are getting really long

Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

E-mail is back up and working again.

The first time I heard that there would be drivable vehicles in HL2, I was a bit skeptical. Vehicles just seemed a little too Unreal Tournament-ish for the Half-Life experience. Happily, I was completely wrong, and the vehicle chapters are just about my favorite parts of the game.

Water Hazard is great fun to play, in fact, it's probably the chapter I've played the most. You spend most of it fleeing at top speed while metrocops, APCs, and helicopters hound you at every turn. There are several places to stop and explore on foot, too, and it seems like every time I play I discover something new, some little ammo cache or hidden nook or some out-of-the-way bit of staging. The other night I was playing the level, and had gotten out of the airboat in a marshy area to poke around. As I was walking around, I startled some crows who'd been behind some reeds. They flapped away, and when I went over to where'd they'd been perched, I found the charred corpse of a citizen I'd otherwise have missed. Nice (though grim) little touches like that are part of what makes the game so rewarding to explore again and again.

Add in a couple more physics puzzles, some great music, and of course, the point in the chapter where you finally gain the means to fight back against those drat relentless choppers, and Water Hazard is just a blast, start to finish.

Back in June, Paul from hlportal.de suggested in an e-mail that I do a comic based on the new HDR(dead link) lighting effects. Here it is, finally.

After doing the comic, I booted up Day Of Defeat: Source, thinking, you know, maybe I should actually check out firsthand the HDR I had just mocked. Since it's a little hard to detect changes in lighting while the German Wehrmacht are flanking you, I started a server and ran around on my own for a bit. First, I thought I'd try it without turning HDR on. Checked out the map for a few minutes, looked at everything, tried out some guns. Then, I opened the options panel to turn HDR on. Uh, wait. It WAS on. It had been on the whole time.

The HDR effects, contrary to my comic's suggestions, are incredibly subtle. Once you notice them, they become a bit more obvious, but all in all, if you weren't looking for them you probably wouldn't see them.

Now, I'm not sure why you'd have them on in a multiplayer game like DoD, since the slightest slow-down or distraction will get you riddled with bullets by other players who don't have their own HDR turned on. You're not gonna get blinded like the cops in the comic, but your framerates may suffer a bit if you don't have a fast enough rig, and moving from darkness to light or vice-versa does give you a very realistic moment of adjustment, and while it's remarkable how well they captured it in HDR, it's not the sort of thing a substandard player like myself needs to worsen his already awful chances of survival in multiplay.

But in a single-player game, especially one with already gorgeous graphics like Half-Life 2? I would definitely have HDR on. I honestly cannot wait to see Lost Coast at this point, and I really hope they somehow go back and add HDR to Half-Life 2 itself. It's the kind of thing you may not really notice until you turn it off, at which point you'll miss it. It's just really neat.

Back to DoD: Source. Holy cow, that is a mind-blowing amount of fun. I joined a server because I wanted to try out the German MG42 on something other than flowerpots. About ten minutes later, I realized it was four hours later. It was a little hard to get into at first, what with the realistic weapon recoil that caused me to perforate a lot of clouds but few opponents, but once I adjusted it was just a ridiculous amount of fun. The maps are brilliantly designed, with lots of choke-points, cover, great sniping positions, and most importantly, ways to flank those sniping positions. There are some players who are good enough to just run willy-nilly through the maps, killing everyone in sight, but for the most part, players were working together, covering each other, and slowly advancing on the capture points during some hellish close-quarter firefights. Great game.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Hey it’s those guys

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Pinocchio
Chapter 36.5

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 31: Trump Cards

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

World Famous W posted:

Pinocchio
Chapter 36.5

:pcgaming:it's happening!:jiggled:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

everyone sayin how good Trixie Slaughteraxe is aint jokin. that poo poo is blowin my mind. every chapter. every page. it's like he sat down after his other works and said okay time to use the other 99% of my power level and made this comic.

just saw someone is postin Lies and im up for it. never read it, ready for more thorsby. just gonna read along with the thread on that one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World Famous W posted:

Pinocchio
Chapter 36.5

Whereupon Pinocchio wakes up and immediately starts being a poo poo again

The End! No lesson!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

You're right, but I can't express how terrifying it is to break away from reality which has rules and conventions, and trying to create your own visual short hand that is personal and your own. No matter how hard you try to emulate someone else unless you're really good you're not going to nail it. The idea of doing my own thing is scary, but I think I've done enough of my own stuff that I have to commit to one side or the other.

im not at the point where i have anything of my own to post but i recently did obtain a wacom tablet on a whim and i know E X A C T L Y what you mean haha

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fish are notoriously picky about their environment, loving bassholes.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The art in Lies Sisters and Wives is a really interesting midpoint between the rough-but-functional Hitmen style and the more consistent & cleaner style in TDBC and on

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 00:20 on May 30, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

lol perfection

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:emptyquote:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Am I misremembering, or did we do lies between hitmen and brain chip too?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
:perfect:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Silly Newbie posted:

Lies was talked about for a few pages and someone linked to it, but it was never posted.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Silly Newbie posted:

There's a "wives and lies" arc in Hitmen, too, but it involved Fusk and Jymre quite a bit. I definitely haven't seen this one before.

noice

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Silly Newbie posted:

honestly, between this and the cccc thread I've been reading for years, I can't remember what's been posted or where

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

excellent

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

I would also like to express the amount of "lols" that I emitted at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU