Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm pretty bad at names but how on Earth did you forget the name Waymond?

I agree with your post entirely though, those are good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm pretty bad at names but how on Earth did you forget the name Waymond?

I agree with your post entirely though, those are good points.

Hey checkplease could be from another universe where his name was Edmund.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
My bad lol. I’ll blame posting before coffee. Clearly I need to buy the 4K and watch it a few more times.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gong Gong moved in with the family three years prior to the start of the film. Just rewatched it a few days ago.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just checked as I screwed up names, but it’s Joy and Becky who have been in a relationship for 3 years. Gong Gong just arrived on the flight the day before. When Joy first greets Gong Gong she asks him how his airplane was. He replies that her Chinese keeps getting worse, indicating it’s been a while since they last spoke or met.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
We are trapped in a time loop.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh gently caress I think you're right. But there's a universe where I'm right, so if I start sticking things up my rear end maybe I can still know what that's like

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

insert joke here about how all a goon has to do is turn off the computer and go outside in order to reach a new universe

ETA: I meant in the sense of it being unlikely but that works on multiple levels huh

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just going to kramer into the thread to say that out of all the things in this movie, what I least expected was an homage to old school kung fu. Who was the fight coordinator? I couldn't find them on the IMDB page.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 25, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Andy and Brian Le

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Mantis42 posted:

oh gently caress I think you're right. But there's a universe where I'm right, so if I start sticking things up my rear end maybe I can still know what that's like

It only works if you do something unlikely.

(I am so sorry for this joke.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MokBa posted:

It only works if you do something unlikely.

(I am so sorry for this joke.)

Don't worry, there's a universe where it's funny.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
its a movie about kindness :(

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just going to kramer into the thread to say that out of all the things in this movie, what I least expected was an homage to old school kung fu. Who was the fight coordinator? I couldn't find them on the IMDB page.

The aspect ratio change just before the fight with the fanny pack was loving sweet.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

I haven't re-watched a movie this fast since Fury Road.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holding out on rewatching just so I can buy the Blu-ray

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I see a lot of people taking about seeing the movie now; is it still only on theatres or is it one of those films available only on one streaming service.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PageMaster posted:

I see a lot of people taking about seeing the movie now; is it still only on theatres or is it one of those films available only on one streaming service.

It’s been on a bunch of pirate streaming sites for the last week or two

It comes out on official streaming on June 8, and on Blu-ray on June 15

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Andy and Brian Le

Thanks! Huh, cool to see some young talent using old tricks. Although I guess they had a proper veteran with Yeoh

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The aspect ratio change just before the fight with the fanny pack was loving sweet.

Only thing missing was the cloud of chalk dust when a good hit lands. Although maybe that was there too? I definitely need to give this a re-watch.

E:

PageMaster posted:

Come to Scandinavia, where releases are delayed to add subtitles that nobody needs since everybody is proficient in English :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It was apparently scheduled for a digital home video release on the 20th but A24 delayed it at the last minute because of how well it’s doing in theaters still, Microsoft Store got the memo late and had it up for an hour or so at midnight so the pirate sites got their copy from there.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
What an absolute treat. I've made a point lately of seeing A24 movies in theaters because of how gorgeously they're shot, but this was the first time I can think of in quite a while where I was also glad that I did because of the collective audience reactions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Over a hundred Evelyns

https://www.facebook.com/100008449965798/posts/pfbid06nEC2iYosTk6KPLAkCgsiYbrrzHHjgXqz9Qazu8jCCwFtdgbJAt3im3Nn8cQQcxLl/?d=n

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/kieraplease/status/1530316727350964224?s=21&t=xeG4WnNSBHQWyahj6i_lbQ

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Steve Yun posted:

It’s been on a bunch of pirate streaming sites for the last week or two

It comes out on official streaming on June 8, and on Blu-ray on June 15

Best Buy and Amazon are now showing July 5 for the disc release which is an attack on me personally and super hosed up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Really struggling to think of another film that opened so small and hung out in theaters longer than initially intended because of the incredible reviews and word of mouth, at least recently. So happy for the cast & crew to have hit $50,000,000!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RichterIX posted:

Best Buy and Amazon are now showing July 5 for the disc release which is an attack on me personally and super hosed up

This is not very googly eyes of them and is in fact a very everything bagel thing to do

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bust Rodd posted:

Really struggling to think of another film that opened so small and hung out in theaters longer than initially intended because of the incredible reviews and word of mouth, at least recently. So happy for the cast & crew to have hit $50,000,000!

My Big Fat Greek Wedding made over 300 million dollars despite never being number 1 at the box office because it stayed in theaters for like a bazillion years.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao EEA@1 is ”the silliest use of IMAX in cinema history”

Interview with a cinematographer on making the biggest scenes in this film really pop

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I cannot loving believe that nobody atr the fuckin bagel

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Just saw it in theaters last night and read the whole thread. Really glad I got to see it in theaters. Such a great movie. Was the first movie I've seen in a while that was just its own thing. No book or TV show to read/watch, no waiting for a conclusion in the sequel.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goblin week posted:

I cannot loving believe that nobody atr the fuckin bagel

The bagel is sort of a riff on a mark leyner bit from the 90s:

"Frequently the counter man at a sandwich shop will ask "Do you want everything on it?" Well, what if you had a sandwich with literally "everything" on it? In other words, how large a sandwich roll would you need to accommodate all matter in the universe? And, as a corollary, imagine an inconceivably immense being capable of eating this almost infinitely capacious submarine sandwich. If this colossal creature began eating at the instant of the Big Bang, by what century would he be able to consume, digest, metabolize and excrete the hypothetical hogie? And would not this meal, by its very nature, exhaust time itself? "

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Just watched it for the second time. I'm pretty sure this movie has enough details in it you're always going to spot something new. Evelyn has a sweet naruto run:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lol,
Excited to watch the 4K in the future to catch this stuff.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I took it as a riff on the old “what does the dali lama/budda/famous eastern religion figure order on his pizza?” joke. Make me one with everything.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I love how in awe the two buttplug guys are of Michelle Yeoh.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It’s true, they probably grew up seeing in her stuff like Tomorrow never dies, crouching tiger, super cop 3.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao EEA@1 is ”the silliest use of IMAX in cinema history”

Interview with a cinematographer on making the biggest scenes in this film really pop

They didn't actually use IMAX cameras though, it says so in that article:

quote:

We originally wanted to shoot that scene in IMAX. We were like, “We can just get 200 feet of film, an IMAX camera and shoot this one shot. It would be the silliest use of IMAX in the history of IMAX.” But, of course, time and budget forbid it. We ended up renting Master Prime lenses for it. Looking back now, I kind of wish we had shot large format for that just to make the absurdity even stronger.

However, I did see the movie in IMAX and all of the scenes in the top-level, non-actiony, universes (Evelyn's history flashbacks, Evelyn as a movie star, Evelyn going home to do taxes, Evelyn as a rock) were shot in 1.85:1 which is juuuust shy of IMAX (1.90:1). As a result, there was never a letterbox on the sides during those scenes, only a tiny thin strip at the top and bottom of the IMAX screen. Also, the letterbox changes only came in from the top and bottom, and honestly it made the movie a little easier to follow (in regards to which universe we were looking at during any given moment).
Source: my eyeballs and this article

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 2, 2022

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lifepuzzler posted:

They didn't actually use IMAX cameras though, it says so in that article:

However, I did see the movie in IMAX and all of the scenes in the top-level, non-actiony, universes (Evelyn's history flashbacks, Evelyn as a movie star, Evelyn going home to do taxes, Evelyn as a rock) were shot in 1.85:1 which is juuuust shy of IMAX (1.90:1). As a result, there was never a letterbox on the sides during those scenes, only a tiny thin strip at the top and bottom of the IMAX screen. Also, the letterbox changes only came in from the top and bottom, and honestly it made the movie a little easier to follow (in regards to which universe we were looking at during any given moment).
Source: my eyeballs and this article

That's how I saw the film in non-imax. It's a 1.85:1 screen, and then when it gets wider, the bars come down.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ZTHSAIb4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09L2c-YjZHU