Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but i wanted to use refined fuel :saddumb:

alright cool i guess i'll do the weird corn-oil mixture that makes no goddamn sense then. mutter mutter ethanol somehow more energy dense than crude mutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, at least in my experience, power generation starts with Create, then moves into a gas-burning turbine multiblock (or several!) powered by ethanol, then the DE hellorb.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a good summary anywhere of improving performance for Forge? I've got a beefy rear end computer and Rustic Waters 2 still kind of runs like a wet butt.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Change your GC flags to bring the minimum up to the maximum, make sure maximum is high enough

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
VanillaFix, Optifine, FoamFix, and BetterFPS are all good mods to put in for basically any pack if you want performance. All except optifine are generally pretty common already built in but optifine doesn't like their mod being packed so have to plug it in manually.

Once they're in turn off animated textures first as it's usually a big source of slowdown especially if you're using resourcepacks.

Looks like optifine may be the only one available for rustic waters though as it's 1.16.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rynoto posted:

All except optifine are generally pretty common already built in but optifine doesn't like their mod being packed so have to plug it in manually.

It's not that they don't like it, it's that it changes the rendering pipeline and breaks rendering for lots of mods, and breaks on certain GPUs. So modpack makers never want to deal with that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Ooh, this does look promising, thanks! ...this is a Forge mod :crossarms:

While searching around I discovered that Refined Storage 2 is in the works with Fabric as its base, was recently made cross-compatible with Forge, and is intended to ultimately supplant RS1. That said, it's been over a year in the works, the github releases are split up into like 13 different .jar's that I'm terrified to mess with (probably not meant for public consumption yet), and seems to be lagging behind RS1 in updates. So, who knows.

that's what I get for not actually checking, sorry.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

so multimc no longer loads curseforge modpacks, which sucks but makes sense. but it also can't import from zip anymore either??? is there any way to get modpacks without having to install their stupid WoW launcher poo poo. i know of modrinth but all of their packs are vanilla lite.

:rip: dead game?????????????????????????????????????????????????? :rip:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

so multimc no longer loads curseforge modpacks, which sucks but makes sense. but it also can't import from zip anymore either??? is there any way to get modpacks without having to install their stupid WoW launcher poo poo. i know of modrinth but all of their packs are vanilla lite.

I guess PolyMC is the alternative, for now. The current version (1.3.0) has issues, such that if a single mod fails to download the entire pack install fails and it deletes everything it did download.

I honestly don’t see third party launchers for curse working that well in the future. Overwolf clearly does not want them to exist and I’m sure they’ll continually break any that become too popular.

The reason you can’t import from zip is because zips from curse aren’t actually the modpacks. They’re a manifest of the mods to be downloaded plus configuration overrides.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Curseforge is.. ok. It's annoying to use but it works and you can close it and Overwolf once a pack's launched.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
new direwolf20 modpack out there now, might spin that up for a casual server with my friends.

Although a few of them who have yet to delve into 'expert' packs are interested in something a bit juicier. How does Create Above and Beyond work as an entry to the genre? My entry was Omnifactory which seems fine but I don't really want to jump into it again so soon. It's that I guess for the ultra deep end and starting up GTNH

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Impermanent posted:

Although a few of them who have yet to delve into 'expert' packs are interested in something a bit juicier. How does Create Above and Beyond work as an entry to the genre?

If you like Create it's a really interesting way of getting to do more with it and having a more goal-oriented progression and staggering of part 'tiers'. There are a couple very deliberate progression bottlenecks where it's a huge pain in the rear end to make a sufficient supply of the things you need by hand until you can automate them (brass stuff in particular), but it's satisfying to get them done. It does eventually get to be kind of a slog, I stopped playing around the point of figuring out how to fling paintballs through beacons, but it's the furthest I've gotten into one of these types of packs because Create is just kinda fundamentally entertaining to toy around with.

I seem to recall hearing that there isn't a great deal to do once you do make it to space, and I may be an outlier but I actually had far fewer issues with version 1.2 of the pack than 1.3. 1.3 actually completely corrupted my world at one point.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My crew gave up and got sick of it after getting into ME systems. Good time until then, I just didn't have making all the drat circuits in me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Echophonic posted:

My crew gave up and got sick of it after getting into ME systems. Good time until then, I just didn't have making all the drat circuits in me.

Yeah even when it's my in-theory best storage option the most I can get out of AE2 is a pain in my taint. Tom's Storage is turning out to be a nice "Vanilla+" option, though it's surprisingly diamond-hungry.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

IMO, AE2 is best in packs where they just loving disable channels, like Omnifactory did.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So speaking of Omnifactory (well, Nomifactory) and AE2, I'm having some goofy behavior with it. I'm not entirely surprised because these end-game components are very elaborate, but I'd like to fix a few of them and reduce how often I have to cancel and restart crafting. Stuff just randomly jams but I think the most common jams happen with the microverse projectors.

I have a large microverse projector with two different sets of MV input buses. I don't remember why I split it up like that originally. One has an interface to do chaos shards, dragon hearts, and the heart of the universe. The second has an interface with the universe creation data, and lair of the chaos guardian. I checked this morning and both were jammed. The first one was trying to do chaos shards. It had most of the ingredients but was missing two stacks of dilithium. The second one was trying to do the universe creation data but was missing the micro miner.

I'm trying to figure out why it decided not to dispense the rest of the ingredients. I don't think I ran out of dilithium overnight. I don't think the tier-nine miner was misallocated, but I'm not so sure. It wouldn't have been used for a different recipe; the only one is neutronium nuggets and I have that covered without using miners.

So any ideas?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Kyrosiris posted:

IMO, AE2 is best in packs where they just loving disable channels, like Omnifactory did.

This works for packs without involved autocrafting, but once you get to large scale bases, you need channels. Channels aren't just an arbitrary engineering challenge -- they actually improve performance. When you're doing integrity checks of the AE network, you can essentially "ignore" parts of the network with full channels. This may not sound like a lot, but it adds up over time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Channels are one of those things that are really useful but badly need in-game documentation instead of having to load up a creative/test world and skimming through wikis to understand.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I'm on the verge of talking a friend into trying a few basic mods but Fabric is spitting this back at him. Any ideas? He's already installed and launched a vanilla instance, but this is the Windows Store version of the launcher because the web-download launcher won't even install for him for some reason.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Is he using a new version of windows

10s or 11s?

It defaults to pretty much the windows 8rt where you cant install anything unless its an app from the store.

You either need to turn it off, or you have to buy the 'upgrade' to a normal version of windows. (that will then allow you to turn it off)

I only know this because i bought anew laptop for work at the beginning of the year and it had this garbage on it (lucky mine was a full version of windows, so i didnt have to pay extra to, you know, use the thing i bought...)

Edit - here is some info

https://www.hellotech.com/blog/what-is-windows-10-s-mode-and-how-to-turn-it-off

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Meskhenet posted:

10s or 11s?

He's on 10 but S Mode doesn't seem to be the culprit. Might be testing if Optifine will install later or not.

edit: This seems the most likely culprit, go figure.

edit 2: It was! Thanks, Microsoft.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 30, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh gdi the ars nouveau grow spell doesnt work on mystical agriculture crops at all :argh:

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Ran into my first case of I tried updating one of my mods from 1.18.1 to 1.18.2 and a small change in vanilla code seems to have completely blocked me from manipulating something I want to change. But at least the primary purpose of the mod still works.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I sometimes feel like the only one who kinda likes channels? its a pain in the rear end for some things but it looks neat to have a bunch of different color cables all lit up and its honestly pretty easy to grasp, you don't even really have to think about them until you are really trying to automate everything and it encourages you to use in-between transportation/storage solutions instead of an interface/bus on every face of a machine you want to interact with.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ash Rose posted:

I sometimes feel like the only one who kinda likes channels? its a pain in the rear end for some things but it looks neat to have a bunch of different color cables all lit up and its honestly pretty easy to grasp, you don't even really have to think about them until you are really trying to automate everything and it encourages you to use in-between transportation/storage solutions instead of an interface/bus on every face of a machine you want to interact with.

I like channels too. Don't get the hate.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Ash Rose posted:

Yeah channels aren't THAT bad once you figure them out, and do encourage you to economize a little bit. I tend to build my processing setups so as many things as possible feed into a single chest with an import bus. I wish the cables and such were a little less tedious to craft but that's applicable to a lot of mods, really.

The real thing that drags AE2 down is the insipid circuit pressing and crystal growing/charging systems. There's a mod mod, AE2 Stuff, that adds easy to automate systems to speed through the worst of it. Once you get that set up and running, the whole system is quite nice. I've played with Refined Storage's systems and while they're simpler to build, I find AE2's auto crafting more robust and flexible. And just plain prettier. The controllers, assembly chambers, and smart cables all have glowy bits that are very satisfying to look at for some primitive part of my brain.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Gollom posted:

Yeah channels aren't THAT bad once you figure them out, and do encourage you to economize a little bit. I tend to build my processing setups so as many things as possible feed into a single chest with an import bus. I wish the cables and such were a little less tedious to craft but that's applicable to a lot of mods, really.

The real thing that drags AE2 down is the insipid circuit pressing and crystal growing/charging systems. There's a mod mod, AE2 Stuff, that adds easy to automate systems to speed through the worst of it. Once you get that set up and running, the whole system is quite nice. I've played with Refined Storage's systems and while they're simpler to build, I find AE2's auto crafting more robust and flexible. And just plain prettier. The controllers, assembly chambers, and smart cables all have glowy bits that are very satisfying to look at for some primitive part of my brain.

In a similar boat, there's a Refined Storage Addons that overhauls the storage of autocrafting recipes and iirc is also what lets you upgrade the autocrafting speed. It's still maybe a little cumbersome, but a marked improvement.

So since 1.19 is just around the corner, anyone have estimates on how long it usually takes Fabric, Sodium, et al to get their new releases? I know Optifine sometimes takes a while, but I haven't had to compare the two in a race before.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gollom posted:

The real thing that drags AE2 down is the insipid circuit pressing and crystal growing/charging systems. There's a mod mod, AE2 Stuff, that adds easy to automate systems to speed through the worst of it.

Oh yeah that's by far the worst part of 'vanilla' AE2 and that submod helps immensely to remove the tedium.

Really channels are good and easy once you know how they work - the problem with it is just getting to that point.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Making big batches of circuits is pretty trivially automated with even just hoppers, though yeah if you want to make them on demand you'll need some kind of logistics solution and several presses. Growing crystals in water with no support takes an absurdly long time, yeah, I always appreciate when mods let you use other "farm/grow" machines to automate it, but once you are set up with accelerators and can automate dropping them and picking them up when they are done I don't think it's that onerous.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What's the preferred branch of omnifactory these days?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

queeb posted:

What's the preferred branch of omnifactory these days?

Nomifactory. Still gets minor updates occasionally, mostly to update mods.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ash Rose posted:

Making big batches of circuits is pretty trivially automated with even just hoppers, though yeah if you want to make them on demand you'll need some kind of logistics solution and several presses. Growing crystals in water with no support takes an absurdly long time, yeah, I always appreciate when mods let you use other "farm/grow" machines to automate it, but once you are set up with accelerators and can automate dropping them and picking them up when they are done I don't think it's that onerous.

In the context of Create: Above and Beyond making circuits is the culmination of the second-to-last tier and is easily one of the most obnoxious parts of the pack. Making silicon is a monster hassle in either track. Not to mention the sheer amount of liquid redstone you need. Liquid redstone's probably the worst automation in the pack, chain-crushing skystone is very flow-dependent to avoid losing the stone and working with AE2 Chargers just sucks because of how slow and picky they are. Having to scale up redstone and figure out silicon is what took my group out of C:AB. It honestly kinda retroactively burned me on the experience.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There's multiple branches of Omnifactory? I only knew of Nomifactory. It's not like I'd switch to a different one than Nomifactory; I have an inifinity breastplate in progress and then it's on to the creative vending upgrade.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying some things.

Additionally,

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Is there a good create focused skyblock, or pack in general? I tried create above and beyond but it was a little too much. I also tried all-in-one, but I didn't like the oneblock mechanic.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is there any good way to mass-add tags to blocks other than a CraftTweaker script? I've added a bunch of stuff to my modpack that could use Domum Ornamentum compatibility and I'm dreading writing the script.

(Also, CraftTweaker documentation... kinda sucks? I'm a programmer so the concept isn't unfamiliar but in an effort to get some stuff figured out/experimented with I fiddled with it a bit this morning and some of the examples in the 1.18.2 documentation straight up don't work.)

e: on a related note, is there a quick/easy way to add ore dictionary entries via CraftTweaker or a datapack or something? Create Rose Quartz and BoP Rose Quartz have no good reason to not be equivalent.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 31, 2022

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are you looking at the 1.12 documentation to figure out how to use 1.18?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Minor (well, really major) typo - at the time I was typing that, I was also bitching to a friend how a bunch of stuff I was Googling to try and get myself up to speed with CraftTweaker was pulling up 1.12 information.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's multiple branches of Omnifactory? I only knew of Nomifactory. It's not like I'd switch to a different one than Nomifactory; I have an inifinity breastplate in progress and then it's on to the creative vending upgrade.

yeah technically there is still the official Omnifactory which was reclaimed by the original creator during that discord schism. it's officially at like 1.2.1 or whatever the old non-dev branch was (so missing like 1-2 years of Nomifactory team updates) and the creator said they were working on an Omega/Expert mode version but that is totally dead now afaik. everyone just plays Nomifactory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Is there something wrong with gdlauncher? I stopped using multimc when they cried over the mc 1.whatever updates and refused to support it.

e: I see this is curseforge and mod authors attacking the community again. Technically you can patch any existing mod loader to still work with a few lines of code edits.

The situation is mod authors can tick "disable 3rd party access" or something similar. Their mod will then be inaccessible by the API. This is causing all kinds of packs to break, and of course it's mods used everywhere like pam's, clothing api, silent core, etc that have done this. Ideally the community would boycott these mods and pull them from packs, but I don't see this happening.

A number of things patched to do a workaround, polymc's is here and shows how easy it is. PolyMc was contacted by OW/curseforge and reverted here. Even though they're accessing a publicly accessible url, they're trying to argue it breaches their terms of service.

Ferium (cli modpack manager) and ATLauncher will show urls to go manually download mods, but this is super annoying too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 31, 2022