Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The USN never should've switched to camo from dungarees. Who the gently caress needs camo on a drat ship or in a dockyard?

It struck me as borderline dangerous; if you're wearing your ocean camo and go overboard you're much harder to see than if you had on a bright orange uniform. They'd probably get laughed at in the cafeteria in the pentagon though, better go with the mall ninja colors instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Midjack posted:

It struck me as borderline dangerous; if you're wearing your ocean camo and go overboard you're much harder to see than if you had on a bright orange uniform. They'd probably get laughed at in the cafeteria in the pentagon though, better go with the mall ninja colors instead.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're hard as gently caress to see regardless of what you're wearing, spotting people in the water is insanely difficult. I wouldn't really call that a factor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh poo poo they're attacking 32nd Street, thank god we blend in with all the concrete wearing our camo!

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

As much as I hate wearing OCPs, which are lovely versions of Multicams, I'm glad I don't have to wear the Navy camo. It straight up looks like vomit

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Midjack posted:

There were a lot of urban legends made by idiots floating around that the aquaflage would release orange dye in Salt water.

The Navy type III's they wear now are just regular digital camo.

95% of all shipboard work in the Navy is done in coveralls anyways.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

bulletsponge13 posted:

That sounds terrible.

I just made it clear I shouldn't be around anyone important.
"The General heard you say gently caress."
"Has he never heard the word before?"
"You can't say gently caress! It's unprofessional."
"I turn people into smears as a profession, but I can't say gently caress?"
"No, you can't. Not while you are assigned to the command section!"
"Well, that's loving stupid."
"See me after lunch for a Counseling Statement."
"Roger that, Big Guy."

I loved counseling statements after I learned that are meaningless. People would get mad that I'd write "I'm a direct reflection of my leadership" on negative statements, or that I had a stamp that said "Woody's Seal of Approval" with a thumbs up I would stamp them with.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to sign up for your newsletter.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elviscat posted:

There were a lot of urban legends made by idiots floating around that the aquaflage would release orange dye in Salt water.

The Navy type III's they wear now are just regular digital camo.

95% of all shipboard work in the Navy is done in coveralls anyways.

The blue digis loving sucked. I swear to God that was the worst uniform and the boots they wanted to be worn with them literally destroyed your loving feet. I had a pair of the flight deck toe cap boots that got worn any time it wasn't a uniform inspection and got yelled at constantly. The smelter boots were baller af though.

The type 3s weren't too bad and at least you could get some mall ranger tactical boots that were comfy as hell without getting screamed at.

Dress whites were comfortable and people loved them but holy poo poo they were basically one time use items. Blues are baller but holy loving uncomfortable batman. Plus having to get them altered to where you could take a piss without undoing 13 buttons.

Work pajamas aka coveralls were the goat. Go to the thrift store, find a pair about 2 sizes up, wash till they feel like cotton sheets.

/uniformchat

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The USN never should've switched to camo from dungarees. Who the gently caress needs camo on a drat ship or in a dockyard?

The dungarees look really comfy not gonna lie

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The blue cammies required those specific stupid black bates boots that had no durability and never fit right and also were also thick and heavy as gently caress in the florida sun. Bad times.

Also lol how the uniform allowance covered like at most 25% of the amount of stuff you need unless you work in an office.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
gently caress you just reminded me of AJROTC days, standing in late August or early September Florida sun with the black patent leather shiny loving shoes. It was really loving hard to maintain parade rest when my feet were cooking inside my shoes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

D34THROW posted:

gently caress you just reminded me of AJROTC days, standing in late August or early September Florida sun with the black patent leather shiny loving shoes. It was really loving hard to maintain parade rest when my feet were cooking inside my shoes

Yeah but if you’re from florida and in JROTC you deserve at least that

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dress White CNT's with piping would have been S-tier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We talking lovely uniforms?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Godholio posted:

Was that issued during the invasion of Tommy Bahama?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress you, AF Tiger Stripe owned.
They don't need effective camo- the dudes that do will have them. But gently caress yeah.

Then they made it breed with ACUs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

I seen that same pattern on a hawaiian shirt on sale at a hardware store.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Chambray work shirts are still the best. I had one custom made I like them so much.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Godholio posted:

It’s like an Hawaiian shirt had a bird strike.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah but if you’re from florida and in JROTC you deserve at least that

Funny this. That nephew I brought up previously lives in Florida, is either in or about to start Air Force JROTC, and wants to go to the academy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Funny this. That nephew I brought up previously lives in Florida, is either in or about to start Air Force JROTC, and wants to go to the academy.

He needs to make friends with a congressman if he wants to go to the academy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For the Air Force Academy it also wouldn't hurt to have him seek out his nearest Admission Liaison Officer.

https://www.academyadmissions.com/contact/

The service academies also have Prep Schools they can (it's their decision, not the candidate's) send people to if they like the cut of one's jib but their academics aren't up to snuff first. You spend a year there and start the next year if/when you pass muster.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 30, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

The only people who should wear dress uniforms are ceremonial dudes like Sentinels. And then I want the most pompous, overdone, powdered wig tricorner bullshit. With Sabers and flintlock pistols and poo poo. I want Central African Dictators to look at them and go, "gently caress, that's a little much".

Gold-plated M4 as an official issue item?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

IM LETTING GO JUST STOP GRABBING MY DICK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Happy Memorial Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HtVYr9aKRM

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

A.o.D. posted:

He needs to make friends with a congressman if he wants to go to the academy.

I had an in to West Point if i wanted to, a Massachusets Congressman at the time is a second cousin. Almost went to a summer leadership academy there.

But i don't do well with people telling me what to do and i would have had a lot of weight for DIs to take off :effort:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Counterpoint: Don’t go to a service academy because they’re dumb throwbacks to the days of aristocracy and you’ll be surrounded by other big dumb idiots with the same single minded goal.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

As someone who went to a service academy I strongly support abolishing all of them and there is empirical evidence that they at best produce the same quality or worse officers than ROTC or direct OCS

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
People who choose service academies over ROTC do not understand quality of life and shouldn't be placed in positions that affect it.

What positions remain is left as an exercise for the reader.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Or some of us went to an academy pre-internet and didn't know any better. :(

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
As someone acquainted with the products of service academies but not the academies themselves, do they serve any value as an actual repository of military knowledge?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I just got through the audiotbook of Recollections of a private soldier in the Army of the Potomac which was written in 1848, and the author spends an entire chapter complaining how academy idiots are useless blowhards who got too many men killed in the ACW.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Officer Corps would be better off sending their potential officers to do 2-4years as an enlisted gently caress before becoming a Noble

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GD_American posted:

As someone acquainted with the products of service academies but not the academies themselves, do they serve any value as an actual repository of military knowledge?

Yes, but you could get 90% of it on your own time without going to an academy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

More value out of going to a real college with normal people.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MRC48B posted:

I just got through the audiotbook of Recollections of a private soldier in the Army of the Potomac which was written in 1848, and the author spends an entire chapter complaining how academy idiots are useless blowhards who got too many men killed in the ACW.

It was written in 1886, the author was born in 1848. There was no Army of the Potomac in 1848.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iwentdoodie posted:

The blue digis loving sucked. I swear to God that was the worst uniform

The best part of that Navy uniform was that it was nylon. Great to face the possibility of having to fight a shipboard fire wearing clothing that melts to your skin.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

McNally posted:

It was written in 1886, the author was born in 1848. There was no Army of the Potomac in 1848.

poo poo, that was a typo, Idiot inside the thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Phanatic posted:

The best part of that Navy uniform was that it was nylon. Great to face the possibility of having to fight a shipboard fire wearing clothing that melts to your skin.

That's called motivation shipmate

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I'm a civilian who worked for the DOD but I have to post my academy grad story. At the time I'd been working for the Air Force for about 8 years and we had a rotating Lieutenant on our team that would change out every 2 years. We got an academy grad who was probably the laziest Lieutenant by a wide margin I'd ever seen. After spending 2 years with us he had orders to head to Iraq. Apparently he had to qualify with a pistol and a rifle but the 25 year old 1st Lieutenant had never fired or even held a gun before. We kept asking him with questions and apparently he got a some sort of waiver of going through fire arms training because it would conflict with rugby practice.

It should have been our first clue that none of the active duty guys were willing to help him out but despite him being a gently caress up we still wanted to help him out. So 2 civilians, 2 retired Air Force NCOs and a retired Navy NCO take him to a local firing range. We've all been handling guns since we were kids so we're pretty comfortable with 5 people training one. We give him a safety talk. Hand him an unloaded revolver to get the feel for. He immediately starts waving it around and flagging us at random. The Navy chief yanks the gun out of his hand and we go out to the store part of the range to reexplain gun safety. Don't point guns at things you don't plan to shoot. Always treat the gun as loaded. We head back into the range and try again. He does a little better until he thinks it's empty, then hands the gun over barrel first. This time one of the Air Force chiefs gives him the lecture. We finally get to the service pistol and give him a chance to go for accuracy. He hits the roof, the floor, the walls. If you'd asked him to shoot away from the target I think he would've done better. The Navy chief was planning to let him shoot his AR-15 but he just miraculously ran out of ammo early. No one was going to argue.

You're thinking that this was going to go very badly for his qualifying test but it turned out that the range safety officer was another academy grad. Turns out they just pencil whipped that test. I'm hoping that expedition to the firing range was the only time that he fired a gun and I would have hated to be in his unit in Iraq. I've worked with a wide variety of military people but man that Lieutenant will always color my perception of academy grads. A military officer who knows nothing about firearms was just so bizarre to experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Every Chaplain I had while I was in was ex-enlisted combat arms, but every one after that was the most pitiful package of an officer I’d seen to that point