Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Splicer posted:

I think part of the reason it feels bad posting positive stuff in a less than happy thread is that due to the nature of threads sometimes things can be taken as replies or as in response to other, unrelated posts.

Like if someone posts "I liked the bit with Jerrick :geno:ing" and then someone else immediately posts "The Jerrick/Annie thing is gross" then the latter can seem like a direct "no gently caress you comic's gross" reply. Similarly if it's posted the other way around then it can seem like the positive poster is trying to refute the other poster with a complete non-sequitor, which is going to net a nasty response. So the thread can end up reading (or being) a lot more hostile than the people in it actually feel towards each other.

Actually I think that it is because if you post a contrary opinion, nine people will trip over themselves to explain how it's bad actually and demand that you explain yourself, and then you can either argue with them or just not post anything else.

Scroll up for an example.

edit: poo poo, sniped myself. Go back 1 page for an example.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

worm girl posted:

Actually I think that it is because if you post a contrary opinion, nine people will trip over themselves to explain how it's bad actually and demand that you explain yourself, and then you can either argue with them or just not post anything else.

The only person who directly replied to you was me, and I said

Splicer posted:

It's been stumbling since July 2020.

E: I enjoyed Jerrick going full :geno:. Prior to the... thing... I really liked all gingerbot's scenes
Which is pretty mild? Like I didn't pull that date out if nowhere that's the tic toc chapter.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Splicer posted:

The only person who directly replied to you was me, and I said

Which is pretty mild? Like I didn't pull that date out if nowhere that's the tic toc chapter.

I was talking about the Mr. Mime guy. I haven't bothered expressing any untempered positivity in here in a while, and I agree with you that the time toucans are where things went wonky.

All they said was "I like the comic and don't feel like arguing about it so I don't post" and several people demanded they debate them.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 28, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

worm girl posted:

I was talking about the Mr. Mime guy. I haven't bothered expressing any untempered positivity in here in a while, and I agree with you that the time toucans are where things went wonky.

All they said was "I like the comic and don't feel like arguing about it so I don't post" and several people demanded they debate them.

It wasn’t several people it was one person several times. Rumda.

Several people expressed interest in the perspective of people who are still enjoying the comic but nobody but Rumda turned it into a demand. Let alone a weirdly aggro one.

Seriously how am I having to correct the record on something that happened a page ago god dang y’all I joked about object permanence before but this is ridiculous. Suffering succotash.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 28, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

worm girl posted:

the Dominic Deegan thread is actually a lot more pleasant than this one. I can't tell if that's because nobody there ever liked that comic or if YA attracts a special sort of hate.

probably the former, no one has any expectations for deegan and they've ceased to be surprised at its "peculiarities." getting mad about it is like getting mad at a clown for wearing big shoes. they want to see the pratfalls

gunnerkrigg otoh has been in accelerating decline and keeps finding new and off-putting ways to suck

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

worm girl posted:

Yeah, I thought the comic started getting bad a little bit before most here and I remember that the inverse was true, at the time. GC is a comic that engenders strong feelings in the readers, I suppose, but I think it is a common trajectory of many SA threads.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seriously how am I having to correct the record on something that happened a page ago god dang y’all I joked about object permanence before but this is ridiculous. Suffering succotash.

Calling me stupid is a perfect way to prove your point, and if you use cartoon words instead of swears, everyone will think you're quirky instead of mean.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

It wasn’t several people it was one person several times. Rumda.

Several people expressed interest in the perspective of people who are still enjoying the comic but nobody but Rumda turned it into a demand. Let alone a weirdly aggro one.
Yeah I'm not here to debate. I am way too tired and gay and sad on the internet to want to debate anyone anymore. I'm just genuinely interested in what keeps folks coming back and if there's a different way to look at the developments that, to me, have been objectively dire and in a really frustrating way considering how good the comic USED to be.

If someone just said "I like the comic because the art is cool and I like the character designs and the writing is fine", like, well I agree with you on two out of three points. I don't think the writing is fine, and I might ask why you feel that way, but I'm not going to argue to make you try and agree with me, because at that point we probably just have different tastes and thresholds - and opinions have rarely ever been changed by internet arguments.

To share a bit of positivity, I really like the way Annie's hair has been drawn lately, it's very smooth and glossy and just generally visually appealing to look at. I also find it interesting for Kat to be weighing in on the Omega device with her perspective, and I don't really agree with the people in the comments who are like "it makes no sense for Kat to be complaining about it when she's seen magic happen in front of her and controlled time" - Kat's often-contradictory scientific pragmatism is very purposefully both a hallmark of the comic and is very thematically in line with how the Court itself thinks and is supposed to represent that sort of perspective in these discussions.

That said, I do wish we'd seen her father explain the Omega device, and I wish this conversation had happened then, rather than all of it being weirdly biased towards Loup's perspective...

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 28, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

worm girl posted:

Calling me stupid is a perfect way to prove your point, and if you use cartoon words instead of swears, everyone will think you're quirky instead of mean.

You're the one who complained about people not reading the previous page and when someone pointed out how wrong you are about what happened on said page, you post about tone policing route instead of like-- actually engaging with the discussion or admitting you were mistaken or anything else that might have been productive.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
It wasn't tone policing, it was evidence of the weird vibe around here that keeps this thread unpleasant. But if you think I made it all up and nobody agreed, that's OK too.

Maybe I'm full of poo poo. The floor's open for the dissenters I guess but that's enough metaposting for me. Sorry if that's a smokebomb but there is no way the conversation gets cooler or more fun from here.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 28, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

worm girl posted:

It is okay to admit to being factually incorrect.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm going to add an addendum onto a prior post of mine that it's not worth getting worked up about posts other people make, positive or negative about Gunnerkrigg.

Well except the time I got compared to the crazy rear end in a top hat who asked why Turning Red doesn't acknowledge 9/11. I realized I should've spent the evening playing Elden Ring instead of bothering there.

Anyway Turning Red and Elden Ring are good, go spend a lot of hours messing around with those.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The thing is no one who claims to like the comic's writing has actually said why all they have done is use their claim to call the rest of the thread weird creepy obsessives who stalk people into other threads, and then act surprised and hurt when this gets push back.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know what you mean by that. But you're welcome to click the ? under my posts to see that I didn't like the whole setup around Lana almost falling into the sexual peril trope if you need any clarification on my feelings there.

I'm clicking on the "?" under your AV and nothing is happening?

(It's a dumb "you have a question mark as the text under your AV but there's also the filter button under that" joke, sorry, thread needed some positivity) :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

worm girl posted:

They weren't talking about the comic, they were talking about talking about the comic.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore, and now we're talking about whether I was talking about you talking about me talking about the comic or whether I was talking about talking about talking about the comic. I think I was actually talking about someone else talking about talking about the comic, but I decided it wasn't going to be productive to keep talking about talking about the comic.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 28, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

worm girl posted:

Now I have no idea what you're talking about anymore, and now we're talking about whether I was talking about you talking about me talking about the comic or whether I was talking about talking about talking about the comic. I think I was actually talking about someone else talking about talking about the comic, but I decided it wasn't going to be productive to keep talking about talking about the comic.
I posted a thing about how the nature of BB threads can cause unrelated posts to seem like responses to each other, which can lead to a thread seeming, or becoming, more hostile than the actual participants feel. You said no it's because people jump on anyone who posts a dissenting opinion (presumably meaning "about the comic") and that the last page was an example. I thought you were saying people had jumped on you, and disagreed. You said no, you mean people jumped on Mimesweeper. I said Mimesweeper wasn't posting their thoughts about the comic, by which I was trying to express that it's not really a good example of how people would react to someone posting their positive thoughts about the comic. Then you posted about how you didn't know what I was talking about anymore, and then I posted a self-referential explanation of what happened, and then the norns came and told me to knock it off.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pull up, thread

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I hope we see Jones again soon.

I've been wondering if she'll be denied entry to the new Court because her very existence is defying a lot of the laws of science, even if she has no etheric abilities herself. Like, she's clearly not human. I wonder how she feels about being denied access to the new Court, or the fact that they're moving at all. I wonder how Eglamore feels about that. (Can Eglamore even go with his fancy magic tats??)

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2571
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2572

Shell initially states those who can use the ether won't be allowed, but then directly after she states Arthur can't go because he's not human, which implies any non human entity would be denied entry. After all, robots haven't been shown to use the ether in any way, including in their new forms, e.g. Annie being surprised Jerrek knows about the ether.

If robots aren't allowed, it stands to reason Jones wouldn't be either, but of course a recurring point of the comic is the Court's hypocrisy and selective acceptance of etheric means only when it benefits them.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 28, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lots of reports are coming out of this thread, and while I feel like no one has said anything probeworthy I do think the posting-about-posting ratio is getting close to critical in here. A thread that is divided between people who like the comic and people who dislike the comic is naturally going to end up being a hotbed for arguments, so I'm going to ask you all to be extra careful with each other. Posters aren't obligated to explain why they still like Gunnerkrigg Court if they express that opinion, and the same goes for the people on the other side of the court. Please let each other be.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Twenty Four posted:

I'm clicking on the "?" under your AV and nothing is happening?

(It's a dumb "you have a question mark as the text under your AV but there's also the filter button under that" joke, sorry, thread needed some positivity) :)

Excuse you, that ? is next to my posts. For this gross insult, we're now thread enemies.

Tiny Myers posted:

I've been wondering if she'll be denied entry to the new Court because her very existence is defying a lot of the laws of science, even if she has no etheric abilities herself. Like, she's clearly not human. I wonder how she feels about being denied access to the new Court, or the fact that they're moving at all. I wonder how Eglamore feels about that. (Can Eglamore even go with his fancy magic tats??)

Shell initially states those who can use the ether won't be allowed, but then directly after she states Arthur can't go because he's not human, which implies any non human entity would be denied entry. After all, robots haven't been shown to use the ether in any way, including in their new forms, e.g. Annie being surprised Jerrek knows about the ether.

If robots aren't allowed, it stands to reason Jones wouldn't be either, but of course a recurring point of the comic is the Court's hypocrisy and selective acceptance of etheric means only when it benefits them.

The Court's hiring practices up to this point were open to any "magic freaks" they'd find useful (like Anja and the adult fairy lady) or at least making use of them in some formal capacity like Surma, Jones, and... do the talking squid crabs count? Plus yeah augmenting otherwise normal humans for roles in the Court. There's definitely a level of hypocrisy and selective acceptance, but I'm also wondering exactly how much of the Court is or would be on board with whatever inevitable disaster packing up the court and leaving would bring?

It's a bit annoying because "a small faction of bigoted upper elites insulated from any consequences causes apocalyptic disasters while trying to satisfy their selfish whims that go against the opinion and well-being of the wider collective" is a good pitch for a final showdown. I'd just really like it if we got some more on-screen depictions of all this instead of sideways implications and blunt exposition, with the occasional guy who shows up and immediately pratfalls.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's kinda weird robots won't be allowed. It's not like they're magical, presumably Kat would be able to explain how every individual part of them works. They're essentially just really really complicated computers, right? Is the court disallowing computers? I guess some of them have near-etheric capabilities.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

You know, for some reason I had misremembered this as the Shadowmen leaving at that they were wholly separate from the Court as a way to like-- idk, rationalize to myself that the comic still had an antagonistic force in the Court that was not the Shadowmen, but no, that clearly says the Court is the one leaving multiple times.

Huh.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm betting the regular robots could go, since they're just machines. The kids used a magic arrow to turn Arthur into a New Person, so now even as a nonmagical entity he's got sort of a magical origin. Jones appears to work on a similar principle, having apparently been etherically created out of solid rock by a eurypterid who thought it saw a shape in the stone, or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

worm girl posted:

I'm betting the regular robots could go, since they're just machines. The kids used a magic arrow to turn Arthur into a New Person, so now even as a nonmagical entity he's got sort of a magical origin. Jones appears to work on a similar principle, having apparently been etherically created out of solid rock by a eurypterid who thought it saw a shape in the stone, or something.

Given how absolutely in shock Shell was that any of this New Person stuff is even happening it's very bold of you to think their refusal of the New People is based on something as well informed as like, knowing how they're made.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m not sure if Shell’s perspective should be considered representative of the Court as a whole. girl’s a wet wick

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Given how absolutely in shock Shell was that any of this New Person stuff is even happening it's very bold of you to think their refusal of the New People is based on something as well informed as like, knowing how they're made.

If the court tracks students through the food, shouldn't there be a massive spike of new students suddenly appearing? They're really not good at this Shadow organisation stuff.

I know Red has largely disappeared from the comic but I'd like to have seen an interaction between the displaced forest creatures and former forest creatures. Would the ex-fairies classify as human enough to travel to the new court? Being abandoned after the time and effort spent to convert to humans would be interesting.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

DrSnakeLaser posted:

If the court tracks students through the food, shouldn't there be a massive spike of new students suddenly appearing? They're really not good at this Shadow organisation stuff.

Arthur and what's her face were using Shadow Men resources to hide the existence of the New People from the school, otherwise Kat's operation would have been shut down or co-opted somehow. There's also the little matter of the school being in shambles and nobody really keeping track of anything anymore.

At this point the Court probably sees its operations at the current campus as a lost cause and is just trying to cut their losses and get out.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a major writing problem with this comic is the absolute lack of even knowing whether the court and the shadowmen are incompetent or not. is shell an outlier or a representative? we don't know

there are no stakes and no threat and no tension. can't even be worried about loup anymore because now he just writes about annie in his diary while blaring pop punk and nu metal

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I’m not sure if Shell’s perspective should be considered representative of the Court as a whole. girl’s a wet wick

And yet she's also narratively the voice of the intelligence community of the Court.

Which is, itself, kind of a problem in the writing. She is seemingly meant to be a fairly authoritative perspective and yet she's also such an incredibly incompetent dipshit it's hard to accept that.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I know Red has largely disappeared from the comic but I'd like to have seen an interaction between the displaced forest creatures and former forest creatures. Would the ex-fairies classify as human enough to travel to the new court? Being abandoned after the time and effort spent to convert to humans would be interesting.

Shell puts a lot of emphasis on how some people being able to use the Ether is unfair (and presumably would gently caress up Omega's predictions) and says anyone who can use it is disqualified, so I'd assume no, because the fairies can obviously vividly experience it.

Which is very interesting to me because they've been shown to essentially be used as a sort of distributed supercomputer - they're given a bunch of computer poo poo to do (Snuffle described it as data processing) under the guise of "lessons" that they barely even pay attention to because they're busy monkeying around in the Ether, and then after enough time the Court gives them names and lets them do whatever.

Red mentions at one point they don't get summer holidays, which means the data processing was essential enough to be needed year-round.

It's actually pretty funny that Red calls Annie out for using them with something important to fairies but trivial to humans (names) when it sounds like the entire program of forest-to-human was largely a manipulative plot by the Court to use them for supercomputing. We see from Bugsy's flashback where someone gives her a name and job by looking around the room and shrugging their shoulders that the process of getting a name and a job is extremely :effort: on the Court's side, just very much an afterthought.

So do they no longer need that data? Was all of that in the service of the Omega device and its predictions, or was it a precursor to Omega/helping build it? It's an extremely valuable tool to just completely give up like that and there's a lot of mysteries around it.

They obviously put a lot of work into building the entire system, too. But I guess with Coyote gone, there's no one to send them a few subjects each year to turn into humans. Surely among the displaced forest folk under Court custody there would be some who are still interested, though?

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 29, 2022

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Excuse you, that ? is next to my posts. For this gross insult, we're now thread enemies.

:shrug:

We're still posting friends in my book like it or not! :)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I miss Shadow.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Annointed posted:

I miss Shadow.

I liked him, but I always thought he was a bit shady.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Whatever happened to the Minotaur from way back when, anyway? It came to show and tell, and-?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Twenty Four posted:

We're still posting friends in my book like it or not! :)

We could keep disagreeing with each other's interpretations, but I'm willing to split the difference and declare us thread frienemies to save time. :argh:

XkyRauh posted:

Whatever happened to the Minotaur from way back when, anyway? It came to show and tell, and-?

He came back for a page when Annie was trying to get Kat to not be upset with her after Annie ran off to the forest for a summer. He had a goatee.

Oh I guess he was a cameo in this panel too:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1847

Its interesting how Juliette mentions that the Shadowmen are separate from the side of the court that manages the school, but it sounds like the school's headmaster was part of them the whole time and now is in charge.

This is also right around the page where Jones says the court puts some kind of tracking technology in people's food too:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=724

(It's a callback to when Jack read about the tracking system in a computer here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=701)

This and DrSnakeLaser's earlier comment do make me wonder where they get all the food, clothing, bedding, bathroom accoutrements, digging tools, etc. the ex-robots would need. It can't all be coming out of a black boxed expense account or "falling off a truck" in a way Juliette could easily hide at this point.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Those links got me rereading part of the comic, and...

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1850
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1851

"Bridging the gap between human body and machine mind is extremely unpalatable to the court."
"A robot is never allowed to leave the court."

Why are they so okay with the new-mans now, then? You can't tell me they haven't noticed? :catstare:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Tiny Myers posted:

Those links got me rereading part of the comic, and...

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1850
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1851

"Bridging the gap between human body and machine mind is extremely unpalatable to the court."
"A robot is never allowed to leave the court."

Why are they so okay with the new-mans now, then? You can't tell me they haven't noticed? :catstare:

They literally haven't. It's been repeated in the comic multiple times that Arthur and what's her face have been covering it up. Shell was horrified when she found out, but between the apocalypse and the Court's intelligence agency working against itself, nobody's noticed. It's probably too late now anyway - who could stop them?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

What restrictions is Kat even working under at the moment? Court would have to know what she's been doing to make a rule about it. Closest she's had to someone telling her no is when she accidentally breaks the ether with her latest idea and someone has to come patch the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I am also confused. Is she going to go with the Court and keep on sneaking around doing things it doesn't want her to do? Or will they suddenly change their minds after they move and let her do whatever she likes? They seem to be inherently meddlesome. Seems to me like she'd be freer to do whatever she wanted if she stayed in the old spot.