Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
They should just rename the mod to "steal everything" really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Sometimes I steal the walls generated out of gemstones or weird materials in quest generated maps.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I had a raid come up, steal my perimeter walls and run away.

10/10 stopped the raid, would build again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dire Lemming posted:

I had a raid come up, steal my perimeter walls and run away.

10/10 stopped the raid, would build again.

Yeah, raiders stealing walls is the funniest poo poo. It is possible to disable minification for walls (and any other building, for that matter), but why would you?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

How do I stop people/animals from pointlessly wandering in and out of the kitchen? I'm trying to keep the place clean and it's ticking me off

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Area excluding the kitchen for pets, single entry in the kitchen for pawns. You don't want the pawns to path through the kitchen.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I wish areas were more granular than just "never set foot outside your assigned zone". Like, a zone that just says "everything that respects zones, don't go here unless you have a job to do, and once you finish it, gtfo, and no, Larry, walking an extra ten tiles to go around the clean room will not ruin your whole day". PathAvoid works for the second part, but does nothing to stop my cold-susceptible animals from taking a nap in the deep freezer.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bees x1000 posted:

How do I stop people/animals from pointlessly wandering in and out of the kitchen? I'm trying to keep the place clean and it's ticking me off

Have your kitchen be out of the way. One entrance into the freezer, maybe one entrance into a dining room or a walkway, make sure the kitchen is behind the freezer from where food comes in. Have the entrances away from where pawns randomly hang out in general so away from a rec room.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cugel posted:

Area excluding the kitchen for pets, single entry in the kitchen for pawns. You don't want the pawns to path through the kitchen.

Also make sure to define allowed areas for pathing to food sources. If you want animals to go to the freezers to eat corpses, paint a complete path between their sleeping area and the corpses to ensure they don't go into the kitchen.

Pawns will prioritize allowed areas for pathing, but if there's no valid allowed path then they'll chart a path through forbidden areas

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
simply build one enormous room and put everything in it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

simply build one enormous room and put everything in it.

Honestly, that's optimal solution a lot more often than it should be.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

if u think about it the world is just one big room - highlife

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lprsti99 posted:

I wish areas were more granular than just "never set foot outside your assigned zone". Like, a zone that just says "everything that respects zones, don't go here unless you have a job to do, and once you finish it, gtfo, and no, Larry, walking an extra ten tiles to go around the clean room will not ruin your whole day". PathAvoid works for the second part, but does nothing to stop my cold-susceptible animals from taking a nap in the deep freezer.
:hmmyes:

Dwarf Fortress has a marvelous system for this called Traffic Areas, which basically weighs areas as thought they cost more movement to move through, for the purposes of pathfinding. So you could render your kitchens a low or restricted traffic area, and dwarves wouldn't move through them unless it was the only way, or the alternative was a loooong detour.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I put my dining room in a central-ish area, the freezer off of that and then on the far side of the freezer the kitchen. Freezer has only one door to dining room and one to the kitchen, kitchen has only that one door and nothing else. Leaves your kitchen out of the way and with no reason for anyone but the chef and haulers to go in there.

I also use the door mats mod so pawns drop all their dirt before they go through key doorways, the kitchen being one of them. Freezer can stay nasty for all I care, they'll brush the blood and vomit off those potatoes before they cook it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

:hmmyes:

Dwarf Fortress has a marvelous system for this called Traffic Areas, which basically weighs areas as thought they cost more movement to move through, for the purposes of pathfinding. So you could render your kitchens a low or restricted traffic area, and dwarves wouldn't move through them unless it was the only way, or the alternative was a loooong detour.

The Path Avoid and Perfect Pathfinding mods work for this, and Path Avoid sounds almost the same as the described functionality.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wall freezers are great to put on the wall off the kitchen to prevent people from going into the kitchen or freezer if you have the resources. I usually put one as the wal between the kitchen and dining area so no one goes into the kitchen for any reason other than to cook.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

Just cover the floor in straw. Straw flooring has a small cleanliness penalty, but not enough to cause food poisoning, and pawns and animals don't deposit dirt on it, so you'll never have to clean it ordinarily.

At least, I'm pretty sure the cleanliness penalty is small enough to be kitchen safe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Straw flooring is great. Sure it's a bit ugly, but with all the time you won't spend cleaning you could probably crank out a piece of art to counter all that, if it even really makes a difference.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Eiba posted:

Just cover the floor in straw. Straw flooring has a small cleanliness penalty, but not enough to cause food poisoning, and pawns and animals don't deposit dirt on it, so you'll never have to clean it ordinarily.

At least, I'm pretty sure the cleanliness penalty is small enough to be kitchen safe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Straw flooring is great. Sure it's a bit ugly, but with all the time you won't spend cleaning you could probably crank out a piece of art to counter all that, if it even really makes a difference.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Food_Poison_Chance

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Room_stats#Cleanliness

I'm not sure how the skill based food poisoning chance and cleanliness offsets interact -- if they add or multiply somehow.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

two rolls, first one for Filth and the second for whether the chef's decided to be a moron today and rub the finished meal with raw meat. either can give the shits.

interestingly, if you're cooking outside it's a flat 2% chance of cleanliness food poisoning. apparently camping works out better if you cook inside your tent.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HelloSailorSign posted:

The Path Avoid and Perfect Pathfinding mods work for this, and Path Avoid sounds almost the same as the described functionality.

You can even enable an optional make this path cheaper than default level if you want to go that way.

Highly recommend if you made roads.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My global warming gimmic is shaping up but we need to start moving faster. Any advice on how to encapsulate this plot of soil?

It's aprimay so the growing season is almost over, It's already 34 at night & I'm gonna need a place that's safe to store my elephant before the real heat kicks in. Ideally we'd use minimum grow lamps but I can't figure out a good way to do it without overlapping most things and losing at least a little potential space for hydroponics.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's no perfect way to tile sunlamps without wasting some tiles, and similarly there's no perfect way to fill a sunlamp area with hydroponics bays without leaving a few tiles free. No real way around it without modding either or both.

"Optimal" sunlamp spread is...

... but realistically this can take up space in an awkward angled way and you may be better off just laying them side to side and just using the corner space for heaters, batteries, etc.

Best possible hydroponics sites though is...

... and this really is the best way to place them. Of course if you're building a sunlamp on actual soil then you'll need to try and squeeze them onto whatever rocky ground or stony soil is taking up space, but losing a tile or two of soil for the same in hydroponics is a production win anyway.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah, that's how i have the two selected lamps, in the optimal tile config.

I also have a small cave i opened up where i just ate the 4 hydroponics basins on the four edges of the circle. The cave itself has enough mountan to stay within growing temp / iguana temp, so i just let them live in there no problem. But I'm real low on components and can't build more power systems to run more lamps, so it pays bigtime to get it as efficient as possible. Eventually I'll need this dirt to grow devilstrand, and it's the only nearby place I can do hay, too.

When I do full hydroponics around a lamp i do what's basically there, except those center basins that are offset by 1 i knock towards the lamp, makes it easier to remember. Leave the 4 courners on the outer rim.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there's a few other ways to play hydroponic tetris but you're not going to get fewer than four free spots however you juggle it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

VE Farming has tile-able hydroponics, i think. you can fill in the remaining four spots and maximise that sweet rice for your rat farm

for the longest time i read it as "tillable hydroponics", and was like, huh, someone doesn't understand what tilling soil is for

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
It also adds tilling soil command which is great early boost but a pain to maintain. However, some modded plants never get "harvested" completely and get a lifetime boost without having to re-till it. Replanting trees doesn't upset the tilling either, just when they get choped down. Tileable planter boxes are definitely broken because you can put them anywhere and irrigate them (but not till or ferrilize) and have food security for a couple dozen colonists, guests and prisoners in a desert long before hydroponics tech is available. SOS2 has artificial substrate which turns any ground into irrigatable, fertilizable (but not tillable) soil for the low cost of 1 wood and 1 neutroamine per tile.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Asimo posted:

Yeah there's a few other ways to play hydroponic tetris but you're not going to get fewer than four free spots however you juggle it.

Yeah the only weird thing is that I’ve seen that above configuration advised as best and it kinda weirds me out that I see a swastika in it so I don’t build it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do the top right and bottom left four horizontal planters as vertical ones, i guess. you'll shift the position of the wasted space, but it'll be just as efficient

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm low on components so I was looking at all of the areas I send my caravans in case I could get more, there. Looks like the mountain walls in those auto-generated areas, have no components that I've noticed, so far.

Do I have to send people to settle somewhere, in order to get a map with more components on it?

Also what's the point of trade beacons? I'm not allied with anyone, so, the comms console is no help.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1417825411
That's the mod that allows resources to spawns on encounter maps.

ABC : Always Buy Components

Trade beacons are also for trading with spaceships.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

redreader posted:

I'm low on components so I was looking at all of the areas I send my caravans in case I could get more, there. Looks like the mountain walls in those auto-generated areas, have no components that I've noticed, so far.

Do I have to send people to settle somewhere, in order to get a map with more components on it?

Also what's the point of trade beacons? I'm not allied with anyone, so, the comms console is no help.

Trading is the easiest way you get components, either by sending a caravan to another settlement or via trade ship, which the comm console will message you when a trade ship is available.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

ughhhh posted:

Wall freezers are great to put on the wall off the kitchen to prevent people from going into the kitchen or freezer if you have the resources. I usually put one as the wal between the kitchen and dining area so no one goes into the kitchen for any reason other than to cook.

Super dumb questions, but do Wall Freezers
a) Count as a wall
b) Accessible by pawns from the back?

Cause if so... I wish I knew that sooner.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kris xK posted:

a) Count as a wall

a) yes
b) no. I couldn't quite parse what OP was talking about but you can't walk through vanilla wall coolers

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
pawns can take from and put into those, from either side, if that was the question

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes you can make the wall between your kitchen and dining room out of them and pawns will put food they make in them from the kitchen side and take it out from the dining room side.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I remember the first time I played Rimworld and would only cool food down a few degrees because I expected that the pawns couldn't eat food that was frozen solid, and there didn't seem to be a way to reheat it quickly on demand :downs:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Kris xK posted:

a) Count as a wall

X=wall
O=wall freezer
D=door

XOXXXX
X ====X
D ====X
XXXXXX

The kitchen stove takes up 3 spaces, but a pawn can climb over it to put stuff in the wall freezer too incase you want to make the kitchen smaller. Pawns on both sides of the wall freezer can use it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food

Does anyone smell burnt toast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ughhhh posted:

X=wall
O=wall freezer
D=door

XOXXXX
X ====X
D ====X
XXXXXX

The kitchen stove takes up 3 spaces, but a pawn can climb over it to put stuff in the wall freezer too incase you want to make the kitchen smaller. Pawns on both sides of the wall freezer can use it.

XXOXX
D===X
XSSSX
XXXXX

then they just dump the meals behind them into the freezer.