Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm only about 40 minutes in, but this episode on A Simple Plan with Kevin Smith is an absolute delight. Kev's toned down his Kevin Smith persona and it's just three dudes talking very excitedly about movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I'm only about 40 minutes in, but this episode on A Simple Plan with Kevin Smith is an absolute delight. Kev's toned down his Kevin Smith persona and it's just three dudes talking very excitedly about movies.

his George Lucas Talk Show appearance is similarly good and i assume what got them connected to do blank check -- same deal where Smith thrives talking to people who are as gigantic movie nerds as he is

i wouldn't really seek out kevin smith stuff but he does actually shine in this context

e: vv oh i forgot smith did masters of the universe

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 1, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Griffin also voices Orko on Kevin Smith's version of Masters of the Universe

Violator
May 15, 2003

howe_sam posted:

I’m 18 minutes in and you’re absolutely right.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
His stories (and emotion) about Jim Jacks make the episode worth it even without the Simple Plan discussion

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I'm not sure why but I just didn't like the Kevin Smith one as much, despite the really nice story.

However I did watch the Quick and Dead for the first time last night and while I can understand why critics and audiences may not have liked it, it most definitely fucks

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

poly and open-minded posted:

I'm not sure why but I just didn't like the Kevin Smith one as much, despite the really nice story.

I can see not liking it if Kevin Smith isn't your particular brand of story teller. Tangents inside of tangents, and always taking a moment to praise Affleck. But it's the thing I like most about him these days, so I enjoyed it.

poly and open-minded posted:

However I did watch the Quick and Dead for the first time last night and while I can understand why critics and audiences may not have liked it, it most definitely fucks

Oh it fucks. I like what one of them said (I forget who), about how if the movie was released as a new movie today on HBOMax or something, it would be all anyone could talk about for at least a few weeks, like Squid Game or something. I hadn't seen it in at least 15 years, but I watched it again for the podcast, and god daaaaamn, it rules. Just a real fun movie. Learning that it was a passion project for Sharon Stone gave me a whole new appreciation for the thing. I just assumed it was Raimi always wanting to make a Western. I was apparently quite wrong.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
The Quick and the Dead feels like the platonic ideal of a Western I would have as a child. It feels like the influences are 50% spaghetti western and 50% animes, video games, and comic books based on those spaghetti westerns. If I had seen this as in middle school I would have probably really liked and been disappointed when I discovered that no other western is like this.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I demand more Dark Backward talk and I'm surprised it wasn't on Ben's radar, 'cause that poo poo is buck wild and Paxton is absolutely out of his mind in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJy4STxUXEU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

they had kevin smith talking about butthole on their podcast and neither of them brought up The Tweet. amateur hour

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
"It has been two decades plus now. Does her clit/brown/taint-area still pOwn your dick?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Saw Dr. Strange last night and it was extremely Sam Raimi despite the MCU limitations. Cannot wait for their episode on it.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Love when the first 30 minutes of an episode is a guy I don't know apologizing for being mean on Reddit 3 years ago.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gethard was always insufferable but he's reached a whole new dimension here

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ugh, this makes me hesitant to start listening.

I haven’t been listening to Blank Check as long as some people here. I’m sure they get into it, but is there a tl;dr on what he originally did?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I have no memory of it, but Gethard was pro-ROS and anti-TLJ on the MCU Performance Review patreon ep. Then apparently he started being real aggro about it on the blankies reddit but I don’t think he was serious, just doing the usual CineD contrarian poo poo.

It’s a little annoying about something dumb, but it’s not half an hour. He wrote this whole apology letter and it’s maybe a ten minute tangent that doesn’t feel tense or anything. He just thinks the fans want his Star Wars rants.

IDK, I’ve only made it 30 minutes in so far and they don’t start with it and they’ve already been on Spider-Man for a while.

edit: I mean if you think Gethard is insufferable then this probably is too, but it doesn’t seem worse than usual to me

Ror fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 29, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

I have no memory of it, but Gethard was pro-ROS and anti-TLJ on the MCU Performance Review patreon ep. Then apparently he started being real aggro about it on the blankies reddit but I don’t think he was serious, just doing the usual CineD contrarian poo poo.

It’s a little annoying about something dumb, but it’s not half an hour. He wrote this whole apology letter and it’s maybe a ten minute tangent that doesn’t feel tense or anything. He just thinks the fans want his Star Wars rants.

IDK, I’ve only made it 30 minutes in so far and they don’t start with it and they’ve already been on Spider-Man for a while.

edit: I mean if you think Gethard is insufferable then this probably is too, but it doesn’t seem worse than usual to me

Gotcha, thanks. That at least puts me in the right headspace. Because I’ve been looking forward to their Spider-Man 2 episode for a while now.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

thrawn527 posted:

Gotcha, thanks. That at least puts me in the right headspace. Because I’ve been looking forward to their Spider-Man 2 episode for a while now.

I have too and I’m pretty disappointed Gethard is the guest

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Very serious letter about how David hates babies, episode ruining, send Chris Gethard to The Hague.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Gethard has poster energy in that he complains about online posters, but defines the show as a place to “nitpick” tiny details and spew hot takes just to make people angry.

I don’t say it as a compliment. He’s also weird and believes soda should be consumed at room temperature to preserve its pure flavor profile or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I am not that familiar with the world of Blank Check so I was very disappointed to learn that his last name is not pronounced “get hard.”

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I didn’t realize he was such a divisive guest, he’s got some dumb opinions but I always enjoy the vibe of the shows he’s on

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

I didn’t realize he was such a divisive guest, he’s got some dumb opinions but I always enjoy the vibe of the shows he’s on
BAAABUUU FRICK.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

i was fine with him until i saw this

mlmp08 posted:

believes soda should be consumed at room temperature to preserve its pure flavor profile or something.

what the gently caress :mad:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Kit Fisto tho

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gethard’s alright but he should have been on like the Crimewave episode, not the one for one of the best superhero movies ever made

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

he does the apology letter at the beginning and then there's a "hilarious" "bit" throughout the three-hour episode where he keeps trying to shoehorn star wars opinions in only to be stopped

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I never had any problems with the Gethard episodes in the past but it's pretty annoying the way he's constantly making this one all about himself.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 30, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I couldn’t listen to the Starlee Kine episode from a few weeks back. I’ve literally never been able to take her weird voice. I don’t have this problem with anyone else on podcasts. Just her.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I couldn’t listen to the Starlee Kine episode from a few weeks back. I’ve literally never been able to take her weird voice. I don’t have this problem with anyone else on podcasts. Just her.

See, and I think she’s great. I still miss her Mystery Show podcast that only ever had 6 episodes, and has been gone for almost 7 years now.

Gethard, though, is driving me crazy this episode.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And compared with her affectations when reading stories on NPR, her voice was pretty normal this last ep of Blank Check.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gently caress yeah Willowbrook Mall shout-out

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I don’t know any of the Gethard back drama, but episode seems fine for me after listening to 2 hours of it. The Letter was silly, but funny and didn’t take up too much time. It’s an easy mash of the skip button a few times if you want. Derails on Star Wars haven’t seemed any worse than normal ones.

As for the hot takes, the show always has some of those. A few weeks ago one of the guest said Guy Ritchie is a bad film maker which is crazy to me. He makes a very specific type of movie but is probably the best in that narrow British street genre.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Gethard definitely has extreme fan brain (arguing about Marvel Vs DC, constantly comparing adaptations to the source material) which is kinda anathema to how I think about movies, but OTOH it is kind of refreshing to have a guest on with extremely basic film opinions to counter Griffin and David’s most contrarian takes like “Thor: Ragnarok is low-tier MCU actually”.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The only annoying part of the bit is that he’s wrong. Him constantly finding new angles to shoehorn it in was funny to me :shrug:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

His whole personality feels like a bit and Blank Check is famously a no-bits show

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

checkplease posted:

I don’t know any of the Gethard back drama, but episode seems fine for me after listening to 2 hours of it. The Letter was silly, but funny and didn’t take up too much time. It’s an easy mash of the skip button a few times if you want. Derails on Star Wars haven’t seemed any worse than normal ones.

As for the hot takes, the show always has some of those. A few weeks ago one of the guest said Guy Ritchie is a bad film maker which is crazy to me. He makes a very specific type of movie but is probably the best in that narrow British street genre.

I thought that WRATH OF MAN he did recently was great. His MAN FROM UNCLE was a blast as well. There are a ton of working Directors I would put above him in the 'bad filmmaker' rankings.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
finally listened and Gethard was funny. It was a good episode

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I never thought that they could make talking about a fun movie like DRAG ME TO HELL a chore, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DrVenkman posted:

I never thought that they could make talking about a fun movie like DRAG ME TO HELL a chore, but here we are.

The guest hosts? I’m about 20 minutes and they don’t seem like a good fit for discussing this movie. Neither of them like Raimi movies that much.