Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I was recently gifted a Breville Bambino. I have their precision brewer and love it, so I imagine this won't be too bad of an addition. I've never used an espresso machine before; anything I should know going in? Good cups to recommend?

I have a Baratza Encore to grind with; its manual says it can grind espresso, but I'm aware that it is an entry-level grinder and espresso requires a bit more finessing of the beans.

As mu zeta pointed out, the pressurized portafilter basket means you can get away with a less precise grind since the flow restriction comes from the basket instead of the puck. You can still play around and experiment to find what gets you the best extraction but you should have a pretty broad range of settings that produces pleasant results. You’ll want to be a few notches coarser than a true espresso grind would be.

The bambino is a nice little machine that works best with medium to dark coffees. It’s going to struggle to get hot enough with enough flow to extract light roasts well. Stick to some more developed roasts from your preferred toaster and you’ll have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

yo so is the kaffelogic still the poo poo? Are the ready to drink profiles legit? It sounds like the USA version is getting ready to release and I'm still undecided on getting in on the early bird, but I'm probably gonna

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

JohnCompany posted:

If it helps your workflow it helps your workflow, so go with it. That said, tamping is kind of a variable in only one direction; if you're not tamping that hard then puck consistency can vary and a spring tamper can help, but there's an amount of pressure at which a puck is as compressed as any human-scale operation will get it to be, and if you're reaching that level consistently without a spring tamper adding one isn't going to do anything more for you.

I feel like everyone talks about a calibrated tamper in terms of the amount of force put down on the puck when most people, I think, buy them because they tamp flat every single time. Which is something I don't care to practice and learn to do.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Just bought a non-pressurized portafilter and a good tamper for my delonghi dedica, wondering how to check my shots for improvements. I'm getting way less crema now (expected) but it seems like the flavour is a bit better now. Lacking the ability to actually watch the bottom of the portafilter (I read that's the best way to check for channeling, etc), is there anything I can do to make sure I'm getting a good tamp and the best shot possible out of this machine?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's going to be taste dependent. A bottomless portafilter is your best way to find out if your shots are channeling.

I don't know anything about the dedica but it might come with an extremely high base pressure. I have a gaggia classic pro and by default it spits out 15 bars unless you modify it. The high pressure will reduce shot quality, and make minor changes extremely pointless.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I am pleased to inform you all that Hoffman shitposting is improving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Or58WJgO5w

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 27, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

i own every Bionicle posted:

I am pleased to inform you all that Hoffman shitposting is improving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Or58WJgO5w

I caught that too, had a good giggle

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is a manual espresso maker usable if you're short on time? While I'm happy with my current setup, sometimes I only have time to enjoy 30ml of coffee before work, not 300ml. In order to finally stop buying capsules for days like that, I'm now considering going full coffee nerd and acquire a Flair Pro 2 (or equivalent in the 300€ range?). Watching workflow videos, though, with preheating the chamber and the portafilter and zen gardening the grounds before tamping and finally assembling the stack to pull the shot... makes it seem much more time-consuming than the clever dripper and french press I use, even if the actual brewing of the shot ends up being much faster.

I realize a machine would better fit my needs, but 1) probably not my budget, 2) I'd rather not have yet another plugged-in monolith on the kitchen top and 3) pulling a lever is more fun than pressing a button.

I'm now regretting buying the non-pro version of the 1zpresso JX, though...

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

seravid posted:

Is a manual espresso maker usable if you're short on time? While I'm happy with my current setup, sometimes I only have time to enjoy 30ml of coffee before work, not 300ml. In order to finally stop buying capsules for days like that, I'm now considering going full coffee nerd and acquire a Flair Pro 2 (or equivalent in the 300€ range?). Watching workflow videos, though, with preheating the chamber and the portafilter and zen gardening the grounds before tamping and finally assembling the stack to pull the shot... makes it seem much more time-consuming than the clever dripper and french press I use, even if the actual brewing of the shot ends up being much faster.

I realize a machine would better fit my needs, but 1) probably not my budget, 2) I'd rather not have yet another plugged-in monolith on the kitchen top and 3) pulling a lever is more fun than pressing a button.

I think the Cafelat Robot would suit your need for speed. It doesn’t need preheating, is quick to setup, and quick to clean up afterwards. The time it takes from start to end is however long it takes my kettle to boil + two minutes. And most of that two minutes is just cleanup.

The downside is that it’s going to be around 400€ after upgrading to the Barista version for a pressure gauge and adding in the “hands” accessory for improved ergonomics. The self-leveling tamper is nice, but can be skipped with practice.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

.Z. posted:

I think the Cafelat Robot would suit your need for speed. It doesn’t need preheating, is quick to setup, and quick to clean up afterwards. The time it takes from start to end is however long it takes my kettle to boil + two minutes. And most of that two minutes is just cleanup.

The downside is that it’s going to be around 400€ after upgrading to the Barista version for a pressure gauge and adding in the “hands” accessory for improved ergonomics. The self-leveling tamper is nice, but can be skipped with practice.

Yep, agreed on all points. After boiling water, it’s a very fast process. I bought an electric kettle so I can turn that on first thing and I’m very happy with my decision.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

.Z. posted:

Sounds great but, like you said, the cheapest I can find it is ~450€ with the hands. That's a lot of money for coffee, especially if I'll have to upgrade my grinder too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have a robot and use a encore. It’s serviceable. You can also get the pressurized basket that gives for even more room for coarser grinds. Robot good and recommend as a means to get into quick and good espresso.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flair doesn't take longer to preheat than boiling water if you use the steam method btw

6 minutes for me from first entering kitchen to fully clean. Much faster than machines which require heating the group head :)

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 29, 2022

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

seravid posted:

If you want a small coffee that can be done quickly, have you ruled out a Moka pot? It’s not espresso but it might fill that niche?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Or aeropress for that matter

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Making a quick manual espresso in the morning plus cleanup while in a hurry sounds like a nightmare.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks everyone.

Mu Zeta posted:

Making a quick manual espresso in the morning plus cleanup while in a hurry sounds like a nightmare.

Ha, yeah, I wouldn't consider it if that was the case, but I start work late in the afternoon so I'm (more or less) ready and (also more or less) fully functional when it's time to brew. That's why I can usually afford the 10+ minute Hoffmann french press method and sit and relax with a full mug before going out.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

If you want a small coffee that can be done quickly, have you ruled out a Moka pot? It’s not espresso but it might fill that niche?

I did think about alternatives but ruled them out. Espresso is a part of life for most people here and mine too, but I don't think I've ever had a great one. Or even a truly good one. I figure since I'm looking to add something new to my setup, I might as well go with the type of coffee I'm so familiar with yet so ignorant about. Never having to use capsules again will be a nice bonus, too.

BrianBoitano posted:

Flair doesn't take longer to preheat than boiling water if you use the steam method btw

6 minutes for me from first entering kitchen to fully clean. Much faster than machines which require heating the group head :)

Good to know! I'd have ordered the Robot already based on the recommendations here, if not for the price. The Flair Pro 2 is 100€ cheaper and doesn't require me to purchase a padded handle separately, imagine that.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

After trying a few different ways of preheating the cylinder, I settled on putting it upside-down in the pot of water as it comes to a boil. I have to be careful and quick picking it up with a towel and drying the outside before putting it in place, but it's the most consistent method I've tried. I've had some pretty good shots (and a couple affogati) this week.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I watched the Hoffman videos on these, took in all the points, tried my best to control all the variables but I found that despite all of this they are far too ... variable. I did get some really excellent results, but I just could not replicate them consistently.

I moved back to my Sage/Breville Bambino Plus without the pressurised filter and the consistency has gone way up. I felt I was always chasing the dragon with the moka pot.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I was able to get consistent results with my moka pot but it’s such a pain in the rear end to preheat and clean up.

I was actually considering getting a super cheap steam-powered garbage espresso maker for the same experience. It works on the exact same principle so I don’t see why you couldn’t get one to work like a moka pot with some practice.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

all i use is a temp controlled gooseneck, a v60 and a scale. same cup every day baby

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I do have a vacuum pot that I used once and it was good as hell. If I remember correctly it had the body of French press with the clarity of pour over, I should bust that out again

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Aeropress is a decent choice if you don't already have a grinder capable of espresso-fine grinds and don't want to spend the full price on a Robot. Cleanup is pretty quick, time from 0 to coffee is 1 to maybe 3 minutes, and cleanup is dead simple since all you have to do is pop out the mostly-dry puck and filter.

The only times I've had a mess on my hands with an Aeropress were when I knocked the cylinder over putting the plunger in, and that one time I flirted with inverted (and knocked the cylinder over).

That said, I love my Robot, and was running acceptable shots through it with a Bodum burr grinder so.... :shrug:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 1, 2022

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I didn’t know about the hands accessory for the robot until I read this page and I’ve been using it for a year. I assure you, it is not necessary.

Does anyone have a lead on a shallow coffee cup or teacup for putting water into to preheat the robot’s piston for light roasts? I use a regular coffee cup for this and the extra time it takes to heat enough water to fill the cup high enough bums me out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dren posted:

I didn’t know about the hands accessory for the robot until I read this page and I’ve been using it for a year. I assure you, it is not necessary.

Does anyone have a lead on a shallow coffee cup or teacup for putting water into to preheat the robot’s piston for light roasts? I use a regular coffee cup for this and the extra time it takes to heat enough water to fill the cup high enough bums me out.

I use a silicon back flush disc like this:

Backflush Disc – Blind Insert for Espresso Machine – Food-Grade Silicone – 3 Size Variations – Compatible with Cleaning Tablets and Powder – Wide Compatibility – (58mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LP5YF8V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V2JTF9BZXNHVMXH0VVBF

I just put it in my basket, fill with boiling water and let the entire handle and basket with the disc sit in my robot for a bit to preheat, then just dump the water out, take the disc out and dry off the basket before putting the coffee in.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

nwin posted:

I use a silicon back flush disc like this:

Backflush Disc – Blind Insert for Espresso Machine – Food-Grade Silicone – 3 Size Variations – Compatible with Cleaning Tablets and Powder – Wide Compatibility – (58mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LP5YF8V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V2JTF9BZXNHVMXH0VVBF

I just put it in my basket, fill with boiling water and let the entire handle and basket with the disc sit in my robot for a bit to preheat, then just dump the water out, take the disc out and dry off the basket before putting the coffee in.

Hmm that could work. Thanks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dren posted:

Hmm that could work. Thanks.

Works good for me. The only pain is since the basket is so deep I hit my fingers on the side of the hot basket to get the disc out sometimes, so that sucks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I just can’t figure out how to use the steaming wand right to bubble up some milk. Am I supposed to keep it right at the bottom and slowly open it? Or should it be at the top? There’s something about tipping the milk? How can I tell the difference between flat milk and properly frothed milk? Why does the milk smell so weird after I steam it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I spent a year trying and failing to learn how to do it and eventually just bought a frother.

I assume it's down to the equipment because it looks absolutely butt-simple when a pro does it. Just stick it in and swirl it around for a couple seconds while you take someone else's order and boom

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pollyanna posted:

Man, I just can’t figure out how to use the steaming wand right to bubble up some milk. Am I supposed to keep it right at the bottom and slowly open it? Or should it be at the top? There’s something about tipping the milk? How can I tell the difference between flat milk and properly frothed milk? Why does the milk smell so weird after I steam it?

Watch a bunch of videos, here's a great one to start

https://youtu.be/wJnMXLG_qR4

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I spent a year trying and failing to learn how to do it and eventually just bought a frother.

I assume it's down to the equipment because it looks absolutely butt-simple when a pro does it. Just stick it in and swirl it around for a couple seconds while you take someone else's order and boom

It’s partial down to equipment, mostly to skill.

If you have a poo poo rear end steam wand you won’t get far. But something half decent it’s all technique.

The video above is great. But in essence it’s two distinct phases.

1. Tip just at or slightly below the top of the milk. This pulls air in and makes bubbles.

2. Submerge tip fully and tilt to side to create a vortex, which should incorporate the bubbles into the rest of the milk.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Espresso makers please help me. This morning was a nightmare. Went to make my normal coffee and it was super fast, like 36g in 10s. My partner had mentioned she struggled the day before but she often misses steps etc. so I didn’t think much into this.

Anyway this morning I had to change my Vario like 10 notches finer just to get close, where as two days ago that setting was fine. I noticed that parts of the shots almost seemed kind of dry? Like they weren’t being fully saturated.

I use a WDT tool which should eliminate this kind of issue right. The only other thing would be humidity but like usually that means I have to bump up or down 1 notch, not 10…

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

You want to start right under the top surface - you'll hear the "tearing" sound which means air is being mixed into the milk, which is what increases the volume. Once the milk has "stretched" (increased to the volume you want) you raise the jug by an inch or so and "roll" the milk until it reaches the temperature you want (50-60C, but 60 is the strict upper limit - any higher and you're cooking the milk). You don't need to tip the jug but you want to get the angle of the steam wand correct to create a vortex in the milk, which mixes the incorporated air with the milk to create the fine bubbles which are the mark of properly steamed milk.

If it smells weird, you're probably cooking it by letting it get too hot. Steamed milk should be noticeably sweeter than flat milk because steaming breaks down some of the complex carbs into simple carbs, but the flavor shouldn't really change otherwise.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Found a sale on the Flair Pro 2 and pulled the trigger. Even with the discount, it's hard to believe I just spent that much money on a manually-operated machine that makes the tiniest amount of coffee... I say, while looking at the mantel covered in space-theme LEGO.

Moving on, I still have a variety of beans that should be around 8 weeks old by now, will they be okay for me to start learning how to dial in shots? They're still excellent with my other brewing methods, so I can set them aside and just use the Ethiopian beans (medium roast) I purchased along with the Flair.

seravid fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 6, 2022

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

seravid posted:

Moving on, I still have a variety of beans that should be around 8 weeks old by now, will they be okay for me to start learning how to dial in shots? They're still excellent with my other brewing methods, so I can set them aside and just use the Ethiopian beans (medium roast) I purchased along with the Flair.

If the beans still taste fine then it will be OK.

Some people tend to go overboard with the freshness thing. If you are a professional taster then you might be able to tell the difference but even at 8 weeks if you have kept the beans well most people can't tell the difference.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m getting very frustrated with Baratza support.

I’m the one who had the grinder issue with my encore previously. Support identified the ring burr holder tab broke off and sent me a new one, but now the grinder just doesn’t work right.

Previously, depending on beans, ground between like 6-12 to get espresso. Now, if I grind at 10ish, I get a 18g in, 36g out in 10 seconds shot. If I go below 10, it literally can’t grind the beans. It would take about 4 minutes to grind 18g, and it chokes out.

After some back and forth, I sent them a video and their response was

quote:

In your video I notice that at just above ten the coffee is beginning to clump, and this generally suggests that you've reached an espresso fine setting. Have you tried brewing with the coffee at that grind size?

I think the answer here comes down to the approach for espresso grinding. We calibrate our grinders to have the burrs touching at a certain point, and below that setting the burrs are being pressed against one another with some force. When you're in this range it's important to keep coffee moving between the burrs as you adjust the setting.

Think of this like changing gears on a bike while riding uphill. There is tension on the system so you want to have everything moving as you make your adjustment. This does mean that single dosing may not work for espresso, as once the coffee has passed through the burrs they will be pressed tightly against one another, and your next dose may have trouble getting into the burrs.

Try this method: With a full hopper, set your grind to 12 and start the grinder. As it is grinding coffee, adjust your setting down to 10 or below. After you stop adjusting the grind, run a few grams through to purge. Dump these grounds, and then grind your espresso dose and try again!

I sent them a much angrier reply that this does not help, and this is not how the grinder performed before the failure. I first reached out to them on may 17th, and I’m getting super annoyed. Does anyone have any advice here?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Honestly that sounds like either something went wrong with the repair or there's another broken part in there, because it absolutely should be able to pass grounds through down to 1-3. Without beans in it, at what number do you hear the burrs start to touch?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bizwank posted:

Honestly that sounds like either something went wrong with the repair or there's another broken part in there, because it absolutely should be able to pass grounds through down to 1-3. Without beans in it, at what number do you hear the burrs start to touch?

I’ll have to check tonight when I get home.

They didn’t repair it they just sent me a replacement ring burr holder to snap on myself. They also had me check the arms (which are there).

This is the video I sent them.

I have the calibration screw set pretty fine, but haven’t changed that in months, and haven’t made any changes to the grinder since the failure. The failure was sudden. One day I could make espresso the next I couldn’t.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I can consistently pull a decent shot of espresso now with my weirdo franken-setup :toot:

it's wild how much good beans make a difference

speaking of, I think I've spoiled myself forever on grocery store beans for drip because this latest batch of kicking horse that I bought tastes like cigarette butts :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
What's up goons, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been a casual coffee snob for a long time, but finally took the plunge and got a real espresso machine.

It was a lot cheaper than a new one, but is currently in a "not working" state.

Album Link

Supposedly it's not powering on at all, which hopefully will be easy to address. I feel like I'm pretty experienced in electronic and appliance repair, so hopefully I can at least figure out what's wrong with it, but I'm not familiar with espresso machines in general.

It also seems like it's missing a cup tray, portafilter, and screen, so I'm hoping I can get recommendations on what to get. From cursory googling around I've heard competing advice about getting a "double" or a "naked" basket setup and interested as to what advice y'all have.

If all goes well and I'm able to get it up and running, I'd be interested in a PID mod to address the apparent "heating" inconsistency, but for the time being, I just want to try to get it in basic working order, but any advice and guidance is appreciated.