Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

Fewer innocent people would be shot due to negligence/theft.

Astonishing levels of liberal brain. “If every goon recycled, it would make a difference” levels of not understanding power and scale.

Nothing would change if every goon who owned a gun got rid of it. Nothing at all, there would be no noticeable statistical difference at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Astonishing levels of liberal brain. “If every goon recycled, it would make a difference” levels of not understanding power and scale.

Nothing would change if every goon who owned a gun got rid of it. Nothing at all, there would be no noticeable statistical difference at all.

If no one had a gun you don't think fewer people would be shot?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

selec posted:

Tell that to the fellow protesters who got shot by Samuel Young

E: I misread that as "if every leftist". So I guess I'm technically wrong as far as I know, but my overall point about [presumed] leftists with guns still stands

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 29, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

RBA Starblade posted:

If no one had a gun you don't think fewer people would be shot?

No no no you see. MORE guns drops deaths because a good guy with a gun Oh yeah I have stars to prove it lemme just- *logs off*

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

selec posted:

This is completely missing the point, this is actually a case where your personal decisions do have a large impact on your personal life. The planet will only be negligibly worse (or better, depending on the specific circumstances!) if you recycle, and it won't have any impact on your life at all, beyond the time you spend doing it. Owning a gun, however, has a direct and drastic impact on your life and the life of everyone in your household, significantly raising the chances that someone in the home is shot by a gun.

I agree that that individual person will not have a large impact on gun crime or deaths on a societal level, but for that person specifically and those around them, it makes things significantly more dangerous. The situations are not comparable at all. If owning a gun didn't drastically increase the chances of a successful suicide, I would agree that it wouldn't make much of a difference one way or another, but since it does, this is actually a hugely impactful personal decision

If every goon who had a gun got rid of it, that pool of goons would have fewer suicides in it

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, if your argument has any supposition that armed leftists are somehow in the way of meaningful gun control laws, you must be high on crack, or frothingly desperate to find excuses to punch left.

Anyone who is against meaningful gun control laws is somehow in the way of meaningful gun control laws, even if that way isn't the deciding factor. And there isn't anyone here who isn't left, just start punching and you'll hit that.

hapsurfer
Mar 6, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This is not really accurate at all.

Guns do not make escaping easier outside of action movies. They are loud, draw attention, and their presence tends to psychologically make people more likely to fight when they don't have to. You are not Solid Snake and if you reach the point you need to use a gun when you are escaping then you are probably extremely hosed already because that means they know where you are and even the cowardly 'restrained' police departments of today can track you down easily.

Likewise, no, modern guerilla tactics are based around asymmetrical warfare. That means IEDs, assassination, chemical agents, and keeping hidden because once you are found then the US president authorizes a drone to obliterate you. When guns are used their primary use isn't self defense but as part of an ambush offensive attack.

Hell, you want to know what is more likely to help you even if you singular goal is to kill as many Nazis as you can before they kill you? A fuckin' car.

Leftists are just as vulnerable to gun culture propaganda as right wingers. If you live in America you've probably absorbed a ridiculous amount of it just by osmosis and if you are scared/feeling hopeless/etc then that propaganda offers a way to grasp some measure of power, artificial or no, and once you have that power you don't want to give it up.

That is the big problem with these arguments. It isn't about the effectiveness of guns. It's about the fact that guns provide a sense of power unlike anything else in the world and people are loathe to give that up, especially when they feel so helpless and powerless in their day to day life.

And I empathize with that a whole lot. Living every day feeling terrified and hopeless quite literally kills you and if something provides comfort it can be actively damaging to be told that something isn't 'real'. The comparisons to religion are not incorrect because the point isn't the logical aspect, it is the sense of control it gives.

Guns do not make escaping easier outside of action movies. They are loud, draw attention, and their presence tends to psychologically make people more likely to fight when they don't have to.

Hi-larious observation........guns make already brave men and women attack!! Dangerous loud bangs draw our brave blue men and women into battle! are you even kind of serious?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Leftist and marginalized group gun ownership often comes with the entirely realistic understanding that, largely, gun laws will not change. That even strict laws can be circumvented more easily than ever and are unlikely to be enforced to a significant degree (against white people).

Let's see if the government actually does something and backs it up with enforcement. Then let's see who actually gets targeted.

Those saying "it would prevent deaths/guns from falling into the wrong hands" ignore the fact that there is safe use and storage of guns and, because leftists and marginalized groups are often persecuted for having weapons, they often follow the law to a T (and sometimes cops kill them for it). Also, these are not the people doing straw purchases.

The worst that can be said is that they are creating demand, but there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and also, look at who they need protection from, what they need protection from, where it's happening and why they feel they need protection, now or in the future. The full context.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

hapsurfer posted:

Hi-larious observation........guns make already brave men and women attack!! Dangerous loud bangs draw our brave blue men and women into battle! are you even kind of serious?

The logic ImpAtom is using is that if you're in a "we have to flee from the fascist stormtroopers" scenario, your only chance to do it successfully is by stealth. If you get spotted, popping off with a gun will simply draw them down on your head, and if they know that you have a gun, they're likely to simply kill you in a hail of their own gunfire rather than attempt to apprehend you, because it's safer for them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PT6A posted:

This is ridiculous. It's the Honda Civic of guns in the US because it's available and allowed. It was always a restricted firearm in Canada (making it gently caress-useless for hunting) and now I think it's prohibited, the first of which I agree with based on its characteristics and the second of which I do not, because it was all about optics. It should, like handguns, be a restricted firearm subject to strict controls on ownership, transport, and use.

The point is that particular gun itself is not the problem, all guns are. AR15s look like military used M4s so they became the popular, realitively cheap, modifiable rifle. They aren't useful for killing people more than any other semi automatic weapon including most handguns. Less useful in many ways since rifles are at least visible and harder to weild in close quarters. The analogy was correct in banning Honda Civics (which were also popular because of looks, cheapness, and modability) instead of all cars - you're just going after a brand that's popular.

Every time you see a politician spouting to ban AR15s but nothing about actual gun measures, you know they're either ignorant or just looking for optics instead of actually doing anything. It's a pointless measure. You need to go after *all* guns.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lemming posted:

This is completely missing the point, this is actually a case where your personal decisions do have a large impact on your personal life. The planet will only be negligibly worse (or better, depending on the specific circumstances!) if you recycle, and it won't have any impact on your life at all, beyond the time you spend doing it. Owning a gun, however, has a direct and drastic impact on your life and the life of everyone in your household, significantly raising the chances that someone in the home is shot by a gun.

I agree that that individual person will not have a large impact on gun crime or deaths on a societal level, but for that person specifically and those around them, it makes things significantly more dangerous. The situations are not comparable at all. If owning a gun didn't drastically increase the chances of a successful suicide, I would agree that it wouldn't make much of a difference one way or another, but since it does, this is actually a hugely impactful personal decision

If every goon who had a gun got rid of it, that pool of goons would have fewer suicides in it

This applies to handguns. Rifle and shotgun suicides are very low in comparison (forgot where I saw the stats for it, on my phone so it's hard to look) because it takes a lot more forethought to try to get a perfect angle and pull a trigger with your toe than it is to just put a gun to your head and pull a trigger with your finger.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Darko posted:

This applies to handguns. Rifle and shotgun suicides are very low in comparison (forgot where I saw the stats for it, on my phone so it's hard to look) because it takes a lot more forethought to try to get a perfect angle and pull a trigger with your toe than it is to just put a gun to your head and pull a trigger with your finger.

Cobain didn't kill himself :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Darko posted:

The point is that particular gun itself is not the problem, all guns are. AR15s look like military used M4s so they became the popular, realitively cheap, modifiable rifle. They aren't useful for killing people more than any other semi automatic weapon including most handguns. Less useful in many ways since rifles are at least visible and harder to weild in close quarters. The analogy was correct in banning Honda Civics (which were also popular because of looks, cheapness, and modability) instead of all cars - you're just going after a brand that's popular.

Every time you see a politician spouting to ban AR15s but nothing about actual gun measures, you know they're either ignorant or just looking for optics instead of actually doing anything. It's a pointless measure. You need to go after *all* guns.

You do need to ban at least all semi-automatic weapons since that'd cover handguns apart from revolvers but AR-15s and similar rifles are generally deadlier for these attacks than a handgun would be. I think some of the people calling for an AR-15/assault weapons ban do mean well and are throwing their hands up because after all these attacks our laws keep getting worse instead of better so something is better than nothing. I'm more a since they won't give an inch we should take a mile person though so I wanna say gently caress your guns ban them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsmI6UCj4w

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 29, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Darko posted:

Aren’t detachable box magazines a big part of why shooters are able to hit ~20 people in a few seconds rather than two or three? Getting rid of the iconic mass-shooting gun also disrupts the script for people who fantasize about doing it just like the famous spree they’re copying (christchurch, columbine, newtown etc). Following a script is a huge part of what shooters are looking to do.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A unique perspective into the mind of a man who owns a lot of weapons.

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1530916883863638016?s=20&t=-Hb_CFZ4_D2pc0lKdQRbfw

EDIT:

This is a thread of owners with their collection. Some of these photos made my skin crawl.

https://twitter.com/Johnson__joey/status/1530499953944055814?s=20&t=pXaR3EiQS69RLi-UD_WlHg

https://twitter.com/Johnson__joey/status/1530499958490660865?s=20&t=pXaR3EiQS69RLi-UD_WlHg

https://twitter.com/Johnson__joey/status/1530500030611742721?s=20&t=pXaR3EiQS69RLi-UD_WlHg

https://twitter.com/Johnson__joey/status/1530588412964745218?s=20&t=pXaR3EiQS69RLi-UD_WlHg

Original source of the photos: https://www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com/en/shortlists/shortlist-2021/gabriele-galimberti-the-ameriguns.html

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 29, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Cobain didn't kill himself :colbert:

And Eilliot Smith killed himself by stabbing himself; it doesn't mean that it's how people normally do so. Rifle/shotgun deaths are about as common as other methods of suicide, probably because the barrier to entry is harder because it's pretty convoluted to do so with one as compared to handguns, which are something like 4x the number of deaths or something silly. Handguns are legitimately the biggest gun problem in the U.S. once you consider suicides and domestic homicides/violence.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1916744

Groovelord Neato posted:

You do need to ban at least all semi-automatic weapons since that'd cover handguns apart from revolvers but AR-15s and similar rifles are generally deadlier for these attacks than a handgun would be. I think some of the people calling for an AR-15/assault weapons ban do mean well and are throwing their hands up because after all these attacks our laws keep getting worse instead of better so something is better than nothing. I'm more a since they won't give an inch we should take a mile person though so I wanna say gently caress your guns ban them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsmI6UCj4w

I AM GRANDO posted:

Aren’t detachable box magazines a big part of why shooters are able to hit ~20 people in a few seconds rather than two or three? Getting rid of the iconic mass-shooting gun also disrupts the script for people who fantasize about doing it just like the famous spree they’re copying (christchurch, columbine, newtown etc). Following a script is a huge part of what shooters are looking to do.

Semi-automatic weapons in general are the problem because you can rapidly change magazines to keep shooting people as opposed to shotguns or single shot rifles. I'd argue that picking specific semi-autos is just a marginal difference that won't really accomplish anything because the shooter will move to the next semi-auto weapon. I've shot a wide range of autos and semi autos at ranges and going from an AR-15 to a M7 isn't making much difference. Take one away and people will just switch to something else.

The big issue with rifles over handguns is ammo capacity. This is a huge thing in gun reform that should really be pushed, and something you might be able to change public mentality on. An AR-15 magazine holds 30 rounds which is double the round capacity of a comparable handgun. And you can get extenders up to 100. What the gently caress does someone need 30 rounds at once for outside of laziness in reloading? if you can't ban semi-autos, focus on limiting magazine size while guilting people that need 100 rounds to hit a target for being bad shots to change public mentality. Even for fun, at ranges, I'm trying to bullseye each shot, not spray a bunch of ammo for no reason. And in hunting, if you need 30 rounds to take down a deer, you're a poo poo hunter.

edit: Agreed - just beat you VVV

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 29, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Darko posted:

Issue is that AR15 = all guns when it comes down to it. AR15s are the same as any other rifle anyone actually uses where it really matters, whether for huntng or whatever. The details barely matter when killing people.

So the argument is basically full disarming and not a single gun or type of gun, which creates a greater argument.

Just due to hunting, while being a huge leftist, I understand just enough about guns to cringe at some of these focuses. AR15s are just optics. It's basically banning the Honda Civics of guns.
The real issue is the high-capacity magazines with mass shootings. If I had to choose one class of guns to ban though, it would be handguns.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Darko posted:

And Eilliot Smith killed himself by stabbing himself; it doesn't mean that it's how people normally do so. Rifle/shotgun deaths are about as common as other methods of suicide, probably because the barrier to entry is harder because it's pretty convoluted to do so with one as compared to handguns, which are something like 4x the number of deaths or something silly. Handguns are legitimately the biggest gun problem in the U.S. once you consider suicides and domestic homicides/violence.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1916744

As far as I can tell from reading this, this seems to be partially accounted for by the fact that handgun ownership is much higher than long guns:

quote:

Second, we only partially accounted for long-gun ownership, although the implications of this are mitigated by the fact that approximately three quarters of suicides by firearm involve handguns12-14 and less than 20% of firearm owners in California own only long guns.53

This seems to suggest that handguns are easier to use for suicide than long guns (which definitely seems to be the case), it's not like long guns aren't being used, and there are a lower percentage of people who only own long guns

From this research it also seems to suggest long guns are a factor:

https://injepijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40621-019-0230-y

It digs down further in one area to discuss specifically rates of suicide of shotguns separate from rifles, and references some other research that shows different breakdowns that correlate with relative rates of ownerships of the different kinds of guns:

quote:

These findings were also similar to a small study of Sacramento County, which found that 31% of firearm suicides were by long gun, though they noted that rifles were twice as commonly used as shotguns in that sample. This may reflect increased prevalence of rifles over shotguns in that region, as that study included survey data from the Pacific census division reporting 40% of self-reported firearms were rifles and only 26% shotguns (Wintemute et al. 1998). National surveys conducted by the Pew Research Center also found that while 62% of firearm owners reported that they owned a rifle, only 54% owned a shotgun (Parker et al. 2017). Maryland’s proportion of rifle and shotgun ownership is not known, but future studies may develop local surveys for this purpose and address this unresolved question while exploring alternate reasons for the increased proportions of shotgun suicides.

It also discusses how suicides coincide with stuff like hunting seasons:

quote:

We also found that for rifles, which are the most common weapon used for hunting, the proportion of suicides increased dramatically during deer hunting season. This did not hold true for other firearm types.

This seems to further suggest that there isn't something special about handguns specifically, but that the danger is associated with access and how effective the method is, and basically all guns are extremely effective

Edit: To sum up I agree that handguns are more of an issue, but that there's also no "one weird trick" to own any kind of gun that won't also be incredibly way more dangerous than not owning it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, reducing ammo capacity is one of those middle grounds that can't necessarily solve the problem but can help if just by slowing down shooters. As we are seeing from the latest horrorfest every moment can save lives.

hapsurfer posted:

Guns do not make escaping easier outside of action movies. They are loud, draw attention, and their presence tends to psychologically make people more likely to fight when they don't have to.

I genuinely have no idea how you are reading what I wrote to get that response.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is cool to talk about but I am deeply cynical that there is ever going to be any meaningful gun legislation in this country and, if there is, I imagine things getting ugly. Or uglier. Roughly 1/3 or 1/4 of this country is waiting for that loving day. Wanting it. I don't think it's doable.

What does this legislation look like when there's one gun for every person?

I think we have a greater chance at UHC or M4A simply because at a certain point we're going to hit critical mass and it will be the only solution. Mass shootings and gun crimes don't negatively effect corporate profits, near as I can tell, and that's the only thing that ever gets anything moving through the halls of government. It's why we don't have UHC right now; because people getting sick is profitable and, what? 20% of our economy?

It's weird because even as a college teenager who barely knew poo poo about poo poo I remember having conversations with my more conservative leaning family where we'd talk about what ailed the country and espousing that the biggest threat we face as a nation, or what might possible undo it all, was income disparity, racism and the possibility of a second civil war. Not saying I was a genius (I was quite stupid) but I think I was right about that and, to my eyes, we're getting closer every loving day.

We've never really paid the price for national slavery.

A bunch of (in this case heavily armed), pissed off poor people with an ax to grind against their government and little left to lose is historically what triggers these things and we're dancing dangerously close up to this edge IMO. I'm just not sure if it's going to be racial in nature or more driven by economics (probably both) but I can promise you that if/when the government ever gets serious about getting guns out of the hands of its citizens, look the gently caress out.

What do you think a second 1/6 might look like when these people decide that this time they're coming armed?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The correct answer regarding gun control policy is to apply whatever policies can be passed, and use the results to push for further policies. The idea that a given restriction is "meaningless" because it doesn't do enough is a deflective talking point used by the gun industry and its backers to prevent forward movement on gun control. see the "rehtoric of futility" thing I talked about above.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 29, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The correct answer regarding gun control policy is to apply whatever policies can be passed, and use the results to push for further policies. The idea that a given restriction is "meaningless" because it doesn't do enough is a deflective talking point used by the gun industry and its backers to prevent forward movement on gun control. see the "rehtoric of futility" thing I talked about above.

So what's in the pipe? Anyone planning on passing anything? Anyone talking about packing courts?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

So what's in the pipe? Anyone planning on passing anything? Anyone talking about packing courts?

Theres a ton of ideas ready to be passed into law. Gotta win elections first. We effectively are outnumbered in the senate 48-52

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Discendo Vox posted:

That’s the same thinking that led to the 1994 AWB which was the most Pyrrhic victory in the history of American liberalism. It turned what at the time was a niche style of weapon with a small sliver of the market into a totem of American conservatism and the most ubiquitous long gun in the nation. And that’s just the long term, the short term bost it gave to the Republicans in the mid terms the year it was passed and the growth of the single issue gun voter which paid no small part in the 2000 election. Al Gore wins his home state Bush never gets elected no matter what happens in Florida.

That doesn’t mean the answer is “do nothin” but grasping at what was at the time considered low hanging fruit got us into this mess to begin with.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

davecrazy posted:

That’s the same thinking that led to the 1994 AWB which was the most Pyrrhic victory in the history of American liberalism. It turned what at the time was a niche style of weapon with a small sliver of the market into a totem of American conservatism and the most ubiquitous long gun in the nation. And that’s just the long term, the short term bost it gave to the Republicans in the mid terms the year it was passed and the growth of the single issue gun voter which paid no small part in the 2000 election. Al Gore wins his home state Bush never gets elected no matter what happens in Florida.

That doesn’t mean the answer is “do nothin” but grasping at what was at the time considered low hanging fruit got us into this mess to begin with.

Y'all both seem right.

You have to work the system, as a defensive action if for no other reason.

Doing so is insufficient and has proven to be so.

Underlying problem here seems to be that the system itself is currently incapable of sufficiently addressing this problem, and gun culture identity one of the main whips that the Republicans have used to get votes so they can't stop using it now without some impulse towards altruism.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

1) We are only seeing 80% of the collection because the rest are illegal to possess

2) Joel either has kidney failure or is lying about his age

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

Theres a ton of ideas ready to be passed into law. Gotta win elections first. We effectively are outnumbered in the senate 48-52

the democratic party, as the example of Cuellar demonstrated, will proudly fight to keep themselves effectively outnumbered if the alternative is a progressive in congress, OP.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's the roughest 44 I've ever seen, good lord

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rigel posted:

No, we have 50-50 plus the VP, and a party that is unwilling or unable to enforce discipline among its members. They can do things now if they actually want to.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Rigel posted:

How many senators need to be elected to implement new gun control laws and codify abortion rights etc?

Are the 48 'reliable' senators all publicly committed to ending the filibuster and voting on specific legislation? Or do we need to elect more than 2 new democratic senators this fall in order to accomplish anything, and if so, how many?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Stupid measures will galvanize the other side and give them ammo to use against other measures. If you ban AR-15s and the next shooters buy SCARs because that's also a cool gun, and the stats don't change - it hurts the banning argument in general because Conservatives will tell the populace that obviously bans don't work. You have to focus ban on things that matter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the roughest 44 I've ever seen, good lord

Living in fear of literally everything around you 24/7 will do that to you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gotta love this country sometimes

https://twitter.com/billybinion/status/1530968065894146053?s=20&t=sYHk8dQRmJ2rUpujHh6jUA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sadly, nothing is going to happen. In another week, this will be off the front page and we'll be back to "normal" until the next one. And by "normal", I mean more schools that look like armed fortresses with a bunch of cops toting guns around like my kid's school has become. Very friendly, welcoming and reeking of a place of learning and education. I'm the only one in this town that finds all that poo poo creepy and already posted that my kid's school wants ME, his mother and his grandfather to do a background check in order to attend whatever it is that passes for his "graduation ceremony".

Democrats certainly aren't going to do poo poo and we know what Republicans are about. More guns and armed citizens that somehow tie into their brand of what it means to be a true American Patriot, where all you need to check off the patriot boxes is a bible, a gun, an AM radio station and a loving flag flying either in your yard or your vehicle. Dems will continue to be gravely concerned and wring their hands at being unable to pass anything, admonishing us to vote harder and asking us for money they loving well know we don't have.

Wash, rinse, repeat as always. I don't see this an inflection point, sadly. They can gladly come take my 45 if they want it.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

*greenwaldishly* it's an anti-imperialist party now, folks

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1530917084149993474

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What I find additionally fascinating about gun violence in this country is that after an event like this the right likes to talk about mental health and lone wolf and blah blah and yet nothing ever gets passed that might assist with the mental health angle either.

Seriously if we could make mental health resources cheaply available for the entire public it certainly wouldn't solve gun violence but it might have clear political upsides within a generation or so. Which I mean, that's why they won't do it, but I digress.

If we want to heal our stupid country we need to do something about health and education. People who say there's no way meaningful gun legislation will pass in the current climate are correct. We have to do something about the way people think first.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's difficult to have this rooted in history because the current US police state can apply deadly force with far greater ease and precision than any example history can provide.

This reality certainly calls into question any attempt to cite resistance against the Nazi state as something to emulate in hopes of success. We've been hosed on this front since at least 9/11, but let's not forget that the Philadelphia PD dropped a literal bomb on the house of someone they considered a threat, killing 11 people. In 1985. Those people had small arms and all it did was cause their neighbors houses to get blown up.

When looking at historical examples, they basically fall into three categories:

A) a distant, relatively new colonial occupation ruled almost entirely by a puppet govt with military support from the occupier (Vietnam, Afghanistan)

B) a nearby, longtime colonial occupation where the occupiers have moved in plenty of their population over the generations to rule directly in what's seen to be an integral part of the empire (Ireland, Algeria)

C) the rise of a brutal authoritarian government which uses military force to essentially eradicate political opposition and oppress minorities (Nazi Germany, Soviet Union)

These three general groups have big differences in things like the occupiers' political will to continue, the types of targets available to the insurgents, the level of potential public support for the insurgents, and so on.

The most relevant to a realistic discussion of American gun rights is probably option B, I think. At least in the levels of violence that would likely be deployed. Low-level repression, with rival militias on the ground fighting alongside or against the state forces.

And when it comes to Ireland, it's worth noting that the gun laws there (like in the rest of the UK) were much less permissive than the US, and got stricter over time as the Troubles escalated. The armed IRA groups didn't just roll up to the local gun store to arm up - they engaged in international arms snuggling, buying weapons by the ton from overseas organized crime, arms dealers, and intelligence agencies. As a result, they weren't just rolling around with pistols - aside from plenty of rifles, the Provisional IRA's arms stockpile is known to have included anti-tank rifles, rocket launchers, and surface-to-air missiles. That's in addition to their considerably ability at making their own weapons in-house - they had improvised self-propelled flamethrowers, homemade heavy mortars, improvised armored cars with machinegun turrets, and more.

Needless to say, gun control laws didn't have a big impact there! Even essentially banning all guns altogether didn't stop the political violence. Yes, they tried that: in 1972, Northern Ireland issued an order requiring all privately-owned pistols and most rifles to be temporarily turned in to the police for a one-month period. Then the police simply refused to return the weapons afterward, and also refused to issue any new gun licenses.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mendrian posted:

What I find additionally fascinating about gun violence in this country is that after an event like this the right likes to talk about mental health and lone wolf and blah blah and yet nothing ever gets passed that might assist with the mental health angle either.

Seriously if we could make mental health resources cheaply available for the entire public it certainly wouldn't solve gun violence but it might have clear political upsides within a generation or so. Which I mean, that's why they won't do it, but I digress.

If we want to heal our stupid country we need to do something about health and education. People who say there's no way meaningful gun legislation will pass in the current climate are correct. We have to do something about the way people think first.

You have to realize that the conversation being had isn't about solving anything, it's about assigning blame. This is true with just about all American politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mendrian posted:

You do know that a majority of conservatives believe that transgender and gay people are "mentally-ill"? Along with the channer misinformation early on that claimed the shooter was "trans" and "mentally-ill", I know where they're going with when the Republicans start talking about "mental health".