Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Quorum posted:

My only gripe with Quality is the naval ideas, which are useless for landlocked countries, and are also historically dubious! Most of the time countries basically got good army, good navy, pick one (or none and also oops now you're bankrupt). I guess the idea group is supposed to reflect a broader attitude of professionalism and procurement reform in your country but it makes it hard for me to justify taking it if I don't care about the naval game at all.
Yeah I used to balk at it for the same reasons but to me the combat ability for all three land units plus 5% discipline plus 0.5% Army Tradition is enough that I'm okay with the three naval picks, and because of the policies. With Innovative you can get 10% Infantry Combat Ability, with Economic you get 5% more discipline, and if you like Religious you can get 5% Morale and 10% more siege ability (I dont usually take Religious, though).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I mean the entirety of trans-atlantic logistics in EU4 is a complete mess. Even when shipping was at its most advanced at the end of the games time period, France couldn't keep control of Haiti because all the troops they shipped over would get decimated by tropical diseases, but by 1550 in game you can pretty much ship troops at fairly low cost anywhere in the world.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of Religious and me not usually taking it.... I'm going to be playing a coop game with a friend where I start as Wallachia and he will be Poland. He's going to help me survive the first Ottoman attack and get off the ground. However, I'm not sure if I want to stay Orthodox and reform Byzantium and take Religious because that would mix well with staying Orthodox, or if I want to just take my preferred (which is also the lazy) route and go Humanist plus form the Sultanate of Rum. I am leaning on going Muslim because I'm just not a fan of Religious or Orthodox - can anyone that has played them recently sell me on them? Neither seem that great compared to bog standard Catholicism or any Muslim denomination.

Vagabong posted:

I mean the entirety of trans-atlantic logistics in EU4 is a complete mess. Even when shipping was at its most advanced at the end of the games time period, France couldn't keep control of Haiti because all the troops they shipped over would get decimated by tropical diseases, but by 1550 in game you can pretty much ship troops at fairly low cost anywhere in the world.
They fixed this to a degree, though, and now troops in non-coastal sea zones get like 10% monthly attrition. Its better than it was, but probably not "fixed", I guess?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Speaking of Religious and me not usually taking it.... I'm going to be playing a coop game with a friend where I start as Wallachia and he will be Poland. He's going to help me survive the first Ottoman attack and get off the ground. However, I'm not sure if I want to stay Orthodox and reform Byzantium and take Religious because that would mix well with staying Orthodox, or if I want to just take my preferred (which is also the lazy) route and go Humanist plus form the Sultanate of Rum. I am leaning on going Muslim because I'm just not a fan of Religious or Orthodox - can anyone that has played them recently sell me on them? Neither seem that great compared to bog standard Catholicism or any Muslim denomination.

They fixed this to a degree, though, and now troops in non-coastal sea zones get like 10% monthly attrition. Its better than it was, but probably not "fixed", I guess?

It feels like a kludge because it doesn't really fix the main issue of enormous WW2-size armies marching back and forth around the globe, it just makes you have to micro your ship pathing while not affecting the AI at all.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Reinforcements to units should be less effective the further they are from your capital.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Reinforcements to units should be less effective the further they are from your capital.

Yeah, the harsh attrition rates for shipping troops aren't really a big deal as they can reinforce to full once you make landfall. The additional troops materialise from the aether.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

I played Rum recently (though starting as Mamluks) and I don't think you need either religious or humanist. You can get missionaries from holding Jerusalem and Mecca, holding Rome, DotF, and eventually uniting Islam (though you'd lose Ottoman government I think). And there are monuments to boost your missionary strength. And you can always TC land instead of converting it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

I played Rum recently (though starting as Mamluks) and I don't think you need either religious or humanist. You can get missionaries from holding Jerusalem and Mecca, holding Rome, DotF, and eventually uniting Islam (though you'd lose Ottoman government I think). And there are monuments to boost your missionary strength. And you can always TC land instead of converting it.
Good to know, thank you. I like Humanist for a variety of reasons (including laziness in terms of "dealing with fewer rebellions") but I also really like Econ and Innovative so maybe I'll try holding off on it. I was eyeing up the two great religious-centric monuments in Iraq as good things to reach for as quick as possible so if I can pull that off maybe I'll be alright.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

deus vult is good

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

deus vult is good
Yeah but I dont like taking an entire idea set for something that I can easily get by without. I like declaring wars for a province that I can then occupy for ticking warscore rather than relying on my allies and/or vassals not losing a ton of fights.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suddenly discovered that I had completely forgotten to turn off the +1% missionary strength edict I had left running in a state. For 150 years. :v:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I always thought manpower/supply could work like trade, with your core provinces producing it in a node and then moving a percentage of it between nodes, a process that gets more efficient with ideas, tech, ect. This would also mean you could represent how certain areas where particularly hard to project force into for various reason.

Of course the current AI struggles with supply as is, I'm not sure you could get away with making it more complicated.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Good to know, thank you. I like Humanist for a variety of reasons (including laziness in terms of "dealing with fewer rebellions") but I also really like Econ and Innovative so maybe I'll try holding off on it. I was eyeing up the two great religious-centric monuments in Iraq as good things to reach for as quick as possible so if I can pull that off maybe I'll be alright.

Note that one of those monuments is Shia only, which will be less convenient to convert to, and depending on where you're going to expand you probably need to convert a lot more provinces.

You might also be able to snag the monument in north western Sumatra early-ish, that gives 2% missionary strength at max level. You might be able to charter trade company for this, actually.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Poil posted:

I suddenly discovered that I had completely forgotten to turn off the +1% missionary strength edict I had left running in a state. For 150 years. :v:

Same but also with encourage development and institution spread, and in every single game :blush:

Or maybe it's worse that I sometimes dev without the edict because I don't feel like clicking 2-4 times to activate it and then inevitably forgetting to turn it off once the cooldown is done

The missionary strength and institution spread edicts at least should automatically turn off once all provinces are converted/have all available institutions. But I'm guessing if that were easy they'd have already done it. Throw it on the backlog for eu5, Johan

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always plan to pop my golden age after 1500 so I get the discount on developing for colonialism and printing press, and then I completely forget to pop it :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Magissima posted:

Same but also with encourage development and institution spread, and in every single game :blush:

Or maybe it's worse that I sometimes dev without the edict because I don't feel like clicking 2-4 times to activate it and then inevitably forgetting to turn it off once the cooldown is done

The missionary strength and institution spread edicts at least should automatically turn off once all provinces are converted/have all available institutions. But I'm guessing if that were easy they'd have already done it. Throw it on the backlog for eu5, Johan
At least leaving institution spread on has a use every 50 years.

If you're spending the thousands needed to seed an institution forgetting/not bothering to turn on the discount is probably a bit wasteful, but when bringing a 9 or 8 up to 10 with spare points I don't think it matters.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Magissima posted:

I'm no game dev but I'd imagine it's less of a case of whether it's easy to program, and more of a case of wanting consistent rules for edicts and not wanting some working one way and others working another

e: I'm hoping that EU5 (if it ever exists) will follow Imperator's example of having passive conversion instead of constantly mircomanaging missionaries*. Grand strategy should be about the macro decisions.

*Also the map. Imperator map best map.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 27, 2022

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Magissima posted:

I've put the edict mapmode on the same shortcut as religion mapmode, for lack of a better option. That way, when I'm converting something I occasionally doubleclick (on purpose or not) and check if I've got edicts up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There is an edict map mode? Well I guess of course there is, but I had no idea. That's so useful!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can also see edicts in the states tab of the macro builder.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I did a war with the goal of finishing off Denmark but their last forces were hiding on Bornholm and I didn't have any transports to get troops to them. Fortunately I was able to get enough warscore anyway so it didn't matter that I couldn't get to their last 3 dev province and it was a glorious victory with another filthy nation wiped off the face of my map. "My syndic, danish separatists have occupied Bornholm." Oh. Right. :v:

Fister Roboto posted:

You can also see edicts in the states tab of the macro builder.
Yes and it is how I discovered it. I probably should look at it more often.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is paradox ever gonna make naval ideas good

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Stairmaster posted:

is paradox ever gonna make naval ideas good

They'd have to make naval combat more intricate than throwing more galleys/heavies into combat than the other guy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you multiplied the effects of every naval idea by 2 or something maybe it would be worth getting. The issue with it is the opportunity cost, land warfare is way more important than naval warfare in most games so you would need something way better for naval warfare than any other mil group is for land warfare.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How about making a custom map where most provinces are islands

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jay Rust posted:

Earthsea Universalis

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

This would be absolute hell unless they changed how transports work.

(they should change how transports work)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The People: please make navy useful and interesting

Paradox: we have added a boat designer to EU, pick your exact gun in the quantity you want, how many berths you need, and whether or not you want to stock lemons on board. You can still walk from Constantinople to Barnaul.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

Try playing Mykx in Anbennar. It's kind of fun at times but gets very tedious, even with all the naval buffs they get

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Can confirm that a all-in naval game with Mykx is pretty different from your average EU4 game and is also pretty drat wild.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well it only took me 3300 hours but I finally made a Rome.

I went Aragon -> Spain -> Rome, and got the Mare Nostrum (Form Rome, have the Mediterranean coast as cores) and Consulate of the Sea (Start as Aragon and own all Mediterranean centers of trade)

Not much to say except Spain is a lot more fun when you don't colonize and have your historical friend junior partner Portugal do it for you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

I went Aragon -> Spain -> Rome, and got the Mare Nostrum (Form Rome, have the Mediterranean coast as cores) and Consulate of the Sea (Start as Aragon and own all Mediterranean centers of trade)

Not much to say except Spain is a lot more fun when you don't colonize and have your historical friend junior partner Portugal do it for you.
Congrats! I've been working on forming Rome as Milan => Italy but it's turned into a grind.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Detheros posted:

Hmmmm whole lotta that map still isn't red. You still got work to do

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

it's turned into a grind.

But enough about playing past 1600

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But enough about playing past 1600
Yup. I enjoy the challenge of getting off the ground for whatever country is needed to get an achievement but rarely actually get the achievement. I could easily get Sons of Carthage and the aforementioned Rome-related with two saves I've recently played. In another game I started as Mewar I have a merc general with 6 siege which would get me on the way to getting the two achievements that they can get, but, effort.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Gaius Marius posted:

Hmmmm whole lotta that map still isn't red. You still got work to do

Maybe if there were 10% of the current fort count, but otherwise, lmao gently caress no.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Detheros posted:

Maybe if there were 10% of the current fort count, but otherwise, lmao gently caress no.

At least get Britain, smh, what kind of Roman empire is that without it.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
One without the poorest, most remote part? England was a backwater for most of its history, IIRC up to sometime after the civil war.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Caustic Soda posted:

One without the poorest, most remote part? England was a backwater for most of its history, IIRC up to sometime after the civil war.

:freerealestate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Caustic Soda posted:

The Alaska of the Roman Empire: geographically isolated, sparsely populated, useful only for natural resource exports. And you can't even go skiing in Britannia, smh.