Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’m to the point where I’m just going to list my condo and take the highest amount even though I have no place to live. I’ll couch hop at families places at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Weekly redfin data is out and despite the news articles saying prices are dropping and the correction is here...

Listing price - continues to climb
Median sale - continues to climb
% of houses sold in under 2 weeks, increased
Age of inventory - dropped

The insane rate of price increase is leveling out - but it's still going up. The largest yearly correction predicted I see is 20% in hot markets which are still seeing 10%+ over listing sales.

PDX mortgage continues to become more expensive then renting.

People are screaming recession recession but housing seems to be doing OK right now.

In Chicago renting is generally cheaper than a mortgage and has been for many years but I bought because I’m a moron.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This will be my first time purchase FYI, I'm also a handyman and can likely fix certain things on my own.

Major issues on the inspection:

Foundation-good
Structure-good
Electric and plumbing-good, upto code
Furnace, AC, hot water tank, electrical panel- all less than 3 years old, furnace needs serviced because it's short cycling for an unknown reason

Problematic:
Roof is near it's end of life, but no leaks

A large back deck is hanging too far over it's supports, likely needs vertical beams installed.

Walk way on side of house is slightly sloping towards the house resulting in some moisture seeping through the brick

I really don't know where to go from here and what is/isn't realistic in seller concessions 🤬

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

cr0y posted:

This will be my first time purchase FYI, I'm also a handyman and can likely fix certain things on my own.

Major issues on the inspection:

Foundation-good
Structure-good
Electric and plumbing-good, upto code
Furnace, AC, hot water tank, electrical panel- all less than 3 years old, furnace needs serviced because it's short cycling for an unknown reason

Problematic:
Roof is near it's end of life, but no leaks

A large back deck is hanging too far over it's supports, likely needs vertical beams installed.

Walk way on side of house is slightly sloping towards the house resulting in some moisture seeping through the brick

I really don't know where to go from here and what is/isn't realistic in seller concessions 🤬

If your market is still hot it’s not going to be favorable for repairs as everyone is trying to get into something before rates get more painful and the next buyer on the list will probably take as-is, especially if there are only minor issues.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

If your market is still hot it’s not going to be favorable for repairs as everyone is trying to get into something before rates get more painful and the next buyer on the list will probably take as-is, especially if there are only minor issues.

Pittsburgh FYI, and yeah what you said is basically what I was thinking as well.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

cr0y posted:

Pittsburgh FYI, and yeah what you said is basically what I was thinking as well.

We had a good inspector and asked for $12k of life safety repairs for our house and the listing agent let us know that they had confirmed that the next buyer in line would take it as is. We withdrew the Request for Repairs and moved forward. Wouldn’t have done so if the house wasn’t in good condition, which is part of why we put in an offer that was over list.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The market is in a weird spot right now. Went with my realtor last weekend to several showings and didn't find anything we liked enough to pursue. But my realtor actually had a seller's realtor reach out to her asking if we were going to put in an offer! Totally unheard of even like 2 months ago. (the house was very nice, the neighborhood not so much)

Also seen some price decreases including substantial ones of $40K or more. This is in the LA-Torrance-Long Beach area.

We're hoping to capitalize on this and get a house without any insane competition. Saw an awesome house yesterday we plan to put together the offer on and I guess present on Tuesday after Memorial day. Have some more open houses and showings today in the meantime.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

(ignore the typos in the summary, the dude openly admitted he uses voice to text)

This is an outside wall and the other side is a inward sloping walkway causing water flow towards the structure. Assuming I can deal with the walkway what are the implications of this sort of water damage? The structure is block/brick FYI

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

(ignore the typos in the summary, the dude openly admitted he uses voice to text)

This is an outside wall and the other side is a inward sloping walkway causing water flow towards the structure. Assuming I can deal with the walkway what are the implications of this sort of water damage? The structure is block/brick FYI

Nobody here knows what's behind that wall or even what the finishing material is made of for sure and certainly not low long and how often it's been wet.

Worst case you're gutting an entire finished basement full of moldy insulation and wall cavities. Best case it dries out on it's own. It's most likely somewhere in between those two.

Your question is a perfect example of the limitations of a non-destructive buyer's inspection.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
That being said, with that kind of seepage, my guess is you're a lot closer to the 'dried out on its own, maybe a slight bit of mold inside that wall cavity' than you are to full gut.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Weekly redfin data is out and despite the news articles saying prices are dropping and the correction is here...

Listing price - continues to climb
Median sale - continues to climb
% of houses sold in under 2 weeks, increased
Age of inventory - dropped

The insane rate of price increase is leveling out - but it's still going up. The largest yearly correction predicted I see is 20% in hot markets which are still seeing 10%+ over listing sales.

PDX mortgage continues to become more expensive then renting.

Nothing unhealthy about this at all.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yes, I know I am an idiot for considering to buy, but ...

... how does a first time buyer find a buyer's agent? The second post had this blurb "Make sure your prospective Buyer's Agent can satisfactorily answer these concerns", but I have no idea what a satisfactory answer looks like to the questions listed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

Yes, I know I am an idiot for considering to buy, but ...

... how does a first time buyer find a buyer's agent? The second post had this blurb "Make sure your prospective Buyer's Agent can satisfactorily answer these concerns", but I have no idea what a satisfactory answer looks like to the questions listed.

#1 - Google
#2 - Grab those free housing packets that you see in kiosks near newspapers or in restaurant lobbies sometimes. They have tons of realtor/agent ads in them.
#3 - https://naeba.org/ Go here, find your region, look for someone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can't tell if Redfin's charting is accounting for inflation. Does anyone know?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sundae posted:

#1 - Google
#2 - Grab those free housing packets that you see in kiosks near newspapers or in restaurant lobbies sometimes. They have tons of realtor/agent ads in them.
#3 - https://naeba.org/ Go here, find your region, look for someone.

Right, let me rephrase. How do I know if a buyer's agent is any good? Because according to google/ads, all of them are just the absolute finest.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

theHUNGERian posted:

Right, let me rephrase. How do I know if a buyer's agent is any good? Because according to google/ads, all of them are just the absolute finest.

Ask family/friends/coworkers for a recommendation if possible. You can always interview a few candidates to narrow down a choice if you get multiple recs.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Ask family/friends/coworkers for a recommendation if possible. You can always interview a few candidates to narrow down a choice if you get multiple recs.

Sounds good, thanks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You're also not stuck with your REA until you sign an exclusivity contract. We got a rec for one, second house showing realized he was racist, fired him that night, got another one, then unfortunately got a house.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, sourcing from people you know who bought a house they’re happy in will be your best bet.

Johnny Truant posted:

You're also not stuck with your REA until you sign an exclusivity contract. We got a rec for one, second house showing realized he was racist, fired him that night, got another one, then unfortunately got a house.

:shittypop: Did I already forget the story behind this one?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

:shittypop: Did I already forget the story behind this one?

lol I don't think I really mentioned it. First showing he commented on there being apartment complexes close to the home, which yeah that can bring the value down afaik, but the way he said it made my partner and I give each other a side glance. Next showing before he even entered the home he pointed down the street and said "there's large rent-controlled apartments fairly close to here so you know that there's some bad stuff happening here and not good people" or something to that effect.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Johnny Truant posted:

lol I don't think I really mentioned it. First showing he commented on there being apartment complexes close to the home, which yeah that can bring the value down afaik, but the way he said it made my partner and I give each other a side glance. Next showing before he even entered the home he pointed down the street and said "there's large rent-controlled apartments fairly close to here so you know that there's some bad stuff happening here and not good people" or something to that effect.

How is that racist?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

nwin posted:

How is that racist?
It’s not racist per se, but it is classist. And classism is inextricably linked to racism, so meh.

It’s also dog-whistly af

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

nwin posted:

How is that racist?

Like Dik Hz mentioned, it's a dog-whistle. When someone complains about "bad people" in "rent-controlled apartments," nine times out of ten it's code for "minorities." Class and race are heavily interlinked in the USA, and some people hide their racist statements in classist statements (intentionally or not). My company's apartment agents in Indiana did a lot of that with me while giving us tours of the area. Lots of, "well, the rent in this area is nice and cheap, but you know what kind of people move in where it's cheap, right? I wouldn't let your wife walk around here after dark, I mean. Too many low-income and welfare people." They don't mean low-income / welfare; they mean minorities.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One realtor showed me a house he clearly knew nothing about, looked British and dressed in a 40's British longcoat despite the lack of rain, almost fell down a 20' drop in the backyard, and made some weird racist comments about Turkish people for some reason.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I find the most important thing in finding a house is talking to the adjacent neighbors before making an offer to see how insane they are.

Put this in the offer as a contingency.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If the usual sites show <10 options in my area of interest that are within my budget, should I be expecting any pocket listings at all? Or is it impossible to tell because the number of pocket listings depends on completely different parameters?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

theHUNGERian posted:

If the usual sites show <10 options in my area of interest that are within my budget, should I be expecting any pocket listings at all? Or is it impossible to tell because the number of pocket listings depends on completely different parameters?
In my limited experience, pocket listing are only really a thing at the top of your local market.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

I find the most important thing in finding a house is talking to the adjacent neighbors before making an offer to see how insane they are.

Most of us our house shopping in America where it's a given your neighbor will be batshit :(

In regards to redfin data; inflation is selectively applied where logical (I don't think any of their published charts use these metrics), many of them adjust for seasonality and full year adjustments - including their 2/4/12 week MA figures. In general the published charts are great for seeing y/y trends, but it takes a bit of effort (download the data to Tableau/BI yourself) to get more. I've been dropping national, PDX, & PDX [my new neighborhood] data into Tableau as of late, but haven't been doing any modeling myself. As an aside - Redfin employs a shitload of data analysts and even some 'economists', but there's (at least was) just a 4 person dept. that actually produced the Tableau datasets. Like many companies, despite having many analysts, there was actually only a couple people who understood, lived in, & validated the data; everyone else essentially used a guided product. This did, and presumably does, lead to smart people pushing wildly wrong conclusions because they don't really understand the data.

They had a cool article earlier in the year about inflation's correlation with migration.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Dik Hz posted:

It’s not racist per se, but it is classist. And classism is inextricably linked to racism, so meh.

It’s also dog-whistly af

When we were looking in the cheaper part of our area, our rea would repeatedly tell us to spend some time in the neighborhood to see what the block is like. She never said this in the nicer parts, and it didn’t hit me until later that it’s an allowably racist way to ask us if we want to live in that area.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 30, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The two houses we viewed with that REA were also in areas where minorities predominantly lived, in a city that's like 80% white people. How interesting!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Johnny Truant posted:

You fired you agent for looking out for your best interest? OK.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

daslog posted:

The good neoliberal agent will just not show you the “bad” houses in the first place.

:v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

meanolmrcloud posted:

When we were looking in the cheaper part of our area, our rea would repeatedly tell us to spend some time in the neighborhood to see what the block is like. She never said this in the nicer parts, and it didn’t hit me until later that it’s an allowably racist way to ask us if we want to live in that area.
I mean, I get what everyone's saying, but also, as someone a bit lower income who's lived in lower income areas, you can have reservations about them that aren't racist. It's not actually inherently scandalous that your realtor didn't say that in nicer neighborhoods, since they are, you know, by your own description, nicer. It stands to reason you'd like to live in a nicer neighborhood.

Read the person saying these things. If you have reason to think they're coming from a racist place, find a new realtor. If they are instead doing their actual job of informing you about the economic and crime details of the neighborhood, then thank in them? We looked at some areas that were primarily white and ended up in an area with a bit more diversity, and I'd say our realtor was more opposed to the other neighborhoods than the one we ended up in. All lower income, but the block we ended up on was all nicely maintained homes except for one of the white neighbors whose yard she kept warning us about (it's full of tents and shacks and what not, very nice guy though).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

daslog posted:

Looking out for my best interest in a racist/classist way is still racist/classist, hth OP!

Slugworth posted:

I mean, I get what everyone's saying, but also, as someone a bit lower income who's lived in lower income areas, you can have reservations about them that aren't racist. It's not actually inherently scandalous that your realtor didn't say that in nicer neighborhoods, since they are, you know, by your own description, nicer. It stands to reason you'd like to live in a nicer neighborhood.

Read the person saying these things. If you have reason to think they're coming from a racist place, find a new realtor. If they are instead doing their actual job of informing you about the economic and crime details of the neighborhood, then thank in them? We looked at some areas that were primarily white and ended up in an area with a bit more diversity, and I'd say our realtor was more opposed to the other neighborhoods than the one we ended up in. All lower income, but the block we ended up on was all nicely maintained homes except for one of the white neighbors whose yard she kept warning us about (it's full of tents and shacks and what not, very nice guy though).

All true! That was why we gave them the benefit of the doubt the first time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Elephanthead posted:

lol no.

Don't buy a house based on your neighbors, you have zero guarantee who is going to move in next to you after the wonderful people you met move away / die / whatever.

The only real exception I can think of is if the neighbors are so obviously lovely you don't want the headache. Like, 8 foot billboard on the front lawn advertising their membership in the Klan kind of lovely.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2022

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How often do housing trend reports come out? I can't seem to find anything on redfin that isn't just a YoY average?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol no.

Don't buy a house based on your neighbors, you have zero guarantee who is going to move in next to you after the wonderful people you met move away / die / whatever.

The only real exception I can think of is if the neighbors are so obviously lovely you don't want the headache.

That's the kind of situation the OP is talking about

You can't predict future neighbors but you can learn who your current neighbors are and knowing that they're insane is good info to have when deciding whether to buy a house. Don't buy because the neighbors are nice, do decline a purchase because the neighbors are insane.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

That's the kind of situation the OP is talking about

You can't predict future neighbors but you can learn who your current neighbors are and knowing that they're insane is good info to have when deciding whether to buy a house. Don't buy because the neighbors are nice, do decline a purchase because the neighbors are insane.

We looked at a place that photographed well, was priced well but then when we did a driveby we realized why it had been sitting on the market so long: it was right next door to "that house". The one with the unmowed lawn and uncared for landscape beds full of weeds with plants touching the house. Filthy siding, missing roofing shingles. Driveway lined with broken and mostly disassembled lawnmowers, etc. Broken garage door. The place basically looked abandoned other than jim bob sitting out on his lawn chair amidst his hoard of broken yard equipment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

We looked at a place that photographed well, was priced well but then when we did a driveby we realized why it had been sitting on the market so long: it was right next door to "that house". The one with the unmowed lawn and uncared for landscape beds full of weeds with plants touching the house. Filthy siding, missing roofing shingles. Driveway lined with broken and mostly disassembled lawnmowers, etc. Broken garage door. The place basically looked abandoned other than jim bob sitting out on his lawn chair amidst his hoard of broken yard equipment.

Pls don’t doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elephanthead posted:

In my last house, I solved this problem by never talking to the neighbors.

In my current house, the neighbor calls me to warn me about storms and brings over fresh-baked banana bread. :kimchi: