Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Holybat posted:

I like this color on those mechs. Looking good, and definite props for the cockpit frame on the Locust

Thanks! An artist friend of mine suggested I layer lighter shades over darker shades, and I'm using a blue wash between coats (but before drybrushing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

2nd time painting minis ever, I def used the wrong wash, but I like my progress.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

2nd time painting minis ever, I def used the wrong wash, but I like my progress.

What wash did you use and what makes you think it was wrong?

I see a nice dark grey and blue scheme, which would warrant a dark blue or black wash I would think.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

What wash did you use and what makes you think it was wrong?

I see a nice dark grey and blue scheme, which would warrant a dark blue or black wash I would think.

I used Reaper's Black Wash, but I wasn't expecting it to go that dark/grey. On the plus side because of the way I washed it there's still unwashed spots on the model, which show off the white I started off with. On the plus side, the wash gave me a good idea for a two-tone setup.

I need to get some more paints to add in cockpit lighting in the future, and for future models.

Thanks for the kind words :)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
You can always bring the color back up by painting the same base color you used over the washed parts. If you stick to the highest flat panels, you’ll get a nice blended color effect.

You can even go a step brighter of each color for highlights.

I’m phone posting from a bad cell service area and don’t have my books with me, but here’s an idea of the process.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I used Reaper's Black Wash, but I wasn't expecting it to go that dark/grey. On the plus side because of the way I washed it there's still unwashed spots on the model, which show off the white I started off with. On the plus side, the wash gave me a good idea for a two-tone setup.

I need to get some more paints to add in cockpit lighting in the future, and for future models.

Thanks for the kind words :)

l've never used Reaper paints as I favour Vallejo Game Colour and Army Painter these days due to availability (and historically used a lot of Citadel for the same reason) but washes can be tricky because of their tendency to stain a lighter colour-- what can help is to water down the wash a bit with either just water, or with a flow improver (liquitex makes this and it can be had from Michael's but it can also be made from glycerine/dishsoap and water) that will cause the wash to wick more towards low spots and tend to pool less higher up. I've also found it useful to use a large brush for wide-scale washing, one that has a lot of belly to it to hold lots of wash.

Something else that is worth trying if you want to bring detail back out a bit, or brighten the model, is to either use highlights or drybrushing to make raised areas pop out again. With a two-tone paint job that gets a little more complicated, but it is still doable.

My mechs are currently "white" as their base colour, which means starting from a white basecoat and then slapping down a blue/black mix wash that turns the model a pale blue grey before applying a very liberal dry brush of white that brings it closer to white again.

Here you can see a recently completed Victor and an in-progress Nightstar. You could be forgiven for thinking that the Victor is whiter than the Nightstar is, but the truth is that all of the stuff after the last white drybrush helps to add contrast to it to make it more obviously white-- the same process has been applied to each model and by the time I am done, the Nightstar's colours will look similar to its partner. What I am getting at is that after a wash just about everything looks darker-- the idea is to introduce some shading to a model, after all. There is a bunch of stuff afterwards that can be done to bring that colour back up again and make it much less dark (though I maintain dark grey and blue is a great urban scheme).

More VTR shots, because I am shameless:

And a bonus (and rather boring) Javelin:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, if you think a wash went on too dark and heavy, nothing wrong with highlighting and/or dry brushing back up. That was me last night when I decided to try mixing my own ink washes for the first time, and completely screwed up the density of the wash essentially ruining a sweet blue to black blend on my star adders :negative:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I dunno about you folks but I have also noticed that when a project is about 80-90% done it looks like composted arse until those last few steps pull everything together.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Fearless posted:

I dunno about you folks but I have also noticed that when a project is about 80-90% done it looks like composted arse until those last few steps pull everything together.

I feel this

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Fearless posted:

This is very real. However, the worst is when you think you're done and it doesn't come together. I hide those in the back of my display shelf.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is very real. However, the worst is when you think you're done and it doesn't come together. I hide those in the back of my display shelf.

Simple Green erases a great many of life's oopsies.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I usually nail it at step four, then get too loving smart for my own good and charge blindly into a step five that nobody needed, loving up the previous half dozen hours.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 26, 2022

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Got the Adders finally finished up

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Avynte posted:

Got the Adders finally finished up

Very clean. Nice job on these. What gold did you use? Also how many coats? It looks so clean and without streaks/smears.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Very clean. Nice job on these. What gold did you use? Also how many coats? It looks so clean and without streaks/smears.

Thank you! There's probably an easier way to get there with the gold but I'm still learning the whole ink stuff and used the following :shobon:

Vallejo Gold (just drawn out on a dry pallete minimizing how much was on my brush)
"Golden: High Flow Acrylics" Quinacridone / Nickel Azo Gold (1 drop ink, 1 drop matte medium, 3/4" of water from a fast food straw)

1. Thin layer of the vallejo (looks kinda patchy and bad at this point)
2. Slap on some of the ink wash and try to spread it around to keep from blotching
1 hour later (everything looks orange'y bronze / copper)
3. Another very thin layer of vallejo over say... 90%? working out from the center, trying to cover up any big orange blobs that i missed
4. Extremely thin, to the point of I dunno if there was really much paint on the brush here, but I went through the motions of gently edge highlighting some of the raised sharp parts

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fearless posted:

Ain't that the truth.

Fortunately, once you take those last few steps the payoff is almost immediate.

Finished my Supernova of Clan Smoke Jaguar's Nu Galaxy / Fidelis (their colors are the same, the Inner Sphere is very perceptive)

Now I have to decide whether to paint ComStar or Steel Vipers next.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ain't that the truth.

Fortunately, once you take those last few steps the payoff is almost immediate.

Unfortunately those are still Stone Rhinos. :unsmigghh:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Lots of great mechs in here nice job everyone!

Here are some of my Gamma Galaxy Jade Falcons + a Thunderbolt tester model/solahma, thanks to everyone who helped guide me on the camo process.

And here's my current group of IS mechs for my made-up merc unit the Dispossessed. Latest finished is the Imp in the back

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now I have to decide whether to paint ComStar or Steel Vipers next.

Do ComStar, I had a lot of fun with my level II

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That desert camo came out clean, I dig it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Loving all these mechs being posted.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Really digging the subtle striping with that camo, nice!

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Marx Headroom posted:

I love the cockpit detailing and the checkerboard patterning you did, these all look really good

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks! Tbh I cheated with the checkers. For the cockpits I followed a Duncan Rhodes tutorial step by step.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Some more mechs I done and painted up. loving static grass gets everywhere.
I also noticed bubbles in the beige colour. I batched painted everything but the urban mech so I was more going for speed but I'm
annoyed at the bubbles. Going to go slower next time and make sure I'm not getting those.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Love the pattern!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’ve noticed some paints can get really bubbly if you thin them down too much, especially if you’re not careful using a wet pallet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just realized that Clan Steel Viper's alpha galaxy uses the same colors as Cobra's python patrol.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

I’ve noticed some paints can get really bubbly if you thin them down too much, especially if you’re not careful using a wet pallet.

Army Painter Arid Earth was driving me up the wall with how bubbly it was getting. I still haven't figured out the right consistency to thin it to and aren't ready to try again yet :ohdear:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Avynte posted:

Army Painter

I've spotted the issue

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yup, dealing with that was the first and last time I've bought army painter lol. The LGS doesn't carry vallejo and I thought I'd try something different instead of just ordering online like normally. :negative:

Avynte fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 30, 2022

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Had a fun three-player free-for-all yesterday. Each of us brought about 6.2k BV. Scenario was you got a point for each turn you were within two hexes of the objective (truck/train in center of map), one point for each component destroyed, and two points for each mech destroyed. Won with my force of an Imp 4E, Guillotine 3N, Starslayer 3C, and Vindicator 3Lr. The terrain really favored my short-range jumpers; my two opponents had a hard time maneuvering their jumpless mechs around the canyon. MVPs were the Starslayer and Guillotine. The Guillotine managed to incapacitate the Zeus with a brutal TAC on the AC5 ammo in its arm. CASE - it's important!

The Vindicator 3Lr was the best variant I've played with yet. Cheap and slow, but the snubnose PPC makes it extremely useful.

Also, floating TACs is just so much more fun to play with than the standard TAC rules.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 30, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Look at these punks holding the Zeus down while a bad bad Crab delivers kidney pinches

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Some of those r refits can really surprise you.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Which book has the most up-to-date rules for battle armor? My friends want to do a 2v1 against me where I'm playing Clan and I want to bring some Elementals cuz I'll need all the help I can get. It's been a while since I've played with BA so I want to make sure I've got the most accessible stuff. Is it still Total Warfare?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TW is still the definitive rulebook.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are also rules for using specifically Elementals in the Clan Invasion box set.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Thanks!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Marx Headroom posted:

I think my Ghosts of the Periphery ComGuards came out pretty well.

As per my usual hangups, the only actually white paint I used was on the cockpit glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Those all look really good! What color(s) did you end up using to get the effect? I like that gray-white look for the CG