Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Right, decision time as I finally have a start date for the new job. It's between a Piaggio One Active vs a Ninja 250SL I think. Unfortunately I won't be able to test ride either before purchase as the bike is a couple hundred miles away and the scooter isn't available for test rides. Price is essentially the same, insurance the same, Piaggio new and zero miles vs Ninja 6 years old with 2.5k on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The piaggio can only, and absolutely only be used in the city because of the quoted 60km/h top speed. That's not even enough for provincial roads. Be aware of that.

The Ninja will do everything, however i don't trust it because it's been doing less than 500 miles per year.

Personally i'd still get the ninja if it runs well and isn't on too old tires, because my use case includes hopping onto the highway on occasion, to get to different cities. If you only have to ride within a single city, and only for commutes/groceries/whatever, the piaggio could very well be the best option.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

LimaBiker posted:

The piaggio can only, and absolutely only be used in the city because of the quoted 60km/h top speed. That's not even enough for provincial roads. Be aware of that.

The Ninja will do everything, however i don't trust it because it's been doing less than 500 miles per year.

Personally i'd still get the ninja if it runs well and isn't on too old tires, because my use case includes hopping onto the highway on occasion, to get to different cities. If you only have to ride within a single city, and only for commutes/groceries/whatever, the piaggio could very well be the best option.

It's primarily for city commuting but having the ability to go for a proper ride on a day off, or go and visit a mate in another city on the weekend would be very handy as my car drinks petrol.

The Ninja has a new rear tyre, and the condition looks decent other than a knock off Akra can that I'll replace with a Black Widow on day 1.

Another option is a CFMoto 300SR, essentially brand new with just a few dealer demo miles on it. China bike but they've been out a couple of years now and I can't find much wrong with them, plus the engine appears to be from the KLX300.

I'd go bigger and get a Ninja/Z400 or SV650 but posters in here have warned me off due to the constant short journeys.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 26, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
A 400 would be perfectly fine for you too. I wouldn't worry too much about shorter trips, particularly if you're going to be doing occasional longer stuff.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The scooter is by far the best option for short commutes, as long as your commute route has a speed limit no higher than 60km/h. There truly is nothing that can make an 'i have to ride' ride more chill than a scooter.

But it does limit your possibilities to ride elsewhere.

If you really want to ride a bike for the enjoyment of riding a bike, is there any chance you could have the scooter and the ninja 250, for instance? Or get the scoot first, save up, then later get a more day trip suitable bike?

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 26, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'd rather not get 2 bikes due to insurance etc, but having one for a bit then upgrading later isn't a bad idea. I've also been looking at things like the Xmax 300/Forza 350/ADV350 which might be the best of both worlds.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There are some nice chinese bikes out there, but reliability is hit or miss. If you have proper dealership warranty and you live close to it, you could consider it. Otherwise i'd be really afraid to catch a lemon.

Anyway, if you get a Ninja 250 for not too much money, then you are highly likely to be able to sell it next spring for exactly the same amount of money if you don't like it.
It doesn't work that way with chinese bikes. With a brand new electric scooter, you're also gonna take a big depreciation hit if you sell it.

But seriously. Do not buy anything without a test ride. Not even brand new stuff. Unless it's a 500 euro saved from the scrapyard special. If that ninja has been sitting for 3 out of those 6 years, it might have all sorts of issues from that. Or you get stuff like someone who puts on 10 year old tires that have perfect tread, but you won't be able to notice it (happened to me with my SV, but i just was too dumb to look at the date code).

Just get a 50 or 80cc moped/scooter, and while you have that, start saving up, looking at and test riding nicer bikes. 50cc stuff should be dirt cheap in maintenance and insurance, and those can get around cities just fine.

Or just buy a Honda CBF125. Can get onto the highway in the slow lane if you really have to. Will do fine on 80km/h roads through the countryside. Honda, so should be reliable. Small and lightweight, so a fine commuter. There are plenty of those in Europe because of the A1 license requirements.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 26, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Price isn't really the issue (within reason). I could afford an NC750X or Tracer 7 or something fancy, but I haven't ridden anything in 5 years so fancied a year or two on a smaller bike to relearn the skills, plus the fact that 80%+ of the time is going to be pootling around town. The Ninja 250 is actually cheaper than a decent CBF125 would be, the 125 market in the UK is more expensive than the smaller A2 bike market.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm of the opinion that if you want to get back into riding properly you need an actual motorcycle (most Chinese bikes don't really meet this threshold imo), if you get a scooter or clown bike you'll be able to get from a to b but it won't do anything for you skills-wise. Nothing wrong with a ninja 250.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you want to get back into riding properly you need an actual motorcycle (most Chinese bikes don't really meet this threshold imo), if you get a scooter or clown bike you'll be able to get from a to b but it won't do anything for you skills-wise. Nothing wrong with a ninja 250.

Yeah I definitely want to get back into riding properly, it's not just to have a bike to get to work and back. The main reason I was looking at the CFMoto is that some reviews say exactly that, that it's perfect for learning how to ride 'properly' on, really dialling in trail braking, picking the best lines to maintain speed etc. I've been waiting to hear back from a dealer on a test ride for one, gently caress knows what's taking them so long. The Ninja is a £60 train ride away which I guess isn't too bad an option to go and have a ride.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy the ninja. Don’t buy a CFmoto POS.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

LimaBiker posted:

Or you get stuff like someone who puts on 10 year old tires that have perfect tread, but you won't be able to notice it (happened to me with my SV, but i just was too dumb to look at the date code).

lol I made this exact same mistake when I bought my SV :hfive:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Steakandchips posted:

Don’t buy a CFmoto POS.

Is this based on first-hand experience?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No. But they have a reputation for falling apart and having no parts available and no mechanic willing to touch them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Buy the ninja. Don’t buy a CFmoto POS.

Correct.

Lungboy posted:

Is this based on first-hand experience?

IDK about him, but it definitely is for me, and I would definitely prefer a hyosung or enfield if I absolutely had to get an off-brand shitbike. CF moto are currently where hyosung was around 20 years ago, they fulfil all the on-paper characteristics of A Motorbike but they are still firmly just bike shaped objects and not actual motorbikes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hey there's some cool Enfields now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Enfields are good now provided you're buying used (survived to become used, is prolly a good one) or you're willing to keep mulliganing with a dealer until you get one of the good ones.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Correct.

IDK about him, but it definitely is for me, and I would definitely prefer a hyosung or enfield if I absolutely had to get an off-brand shitbike. CF moto are currently where hyosung was around 20 years ago, they fulfil all the on-paper characteristics of A Motorbike but they are still firmly just bike shaped objects and not actual motorbikes.

My understanding is the newer ones (700clx, 300sr) are a significant step up and legitimately decent now but I'm not willing to take a punt on it without checking first so I'll ring the mechanic I'll be using for services and if he won't touch it I'll leave it and look at the Ninja or maybe push the budget a bit for an MT03 or mythical Ninja 400.

e: the CFMoto is struck off the list, my mechanic won't touch it or anything Italian or Austrian. So, time to find the best Ninja 250/400/Z400/MT03/CB300R I can. I've got a month so no immediate rush.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 27, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Lungboy posted:

e: the CFMoto is struck off the list, my mechanic won't touch it or anything Italian or Austrian. So, time to find the best Ninja 250/400/Z400/MT03/CB300R I can. I've got a month so no immediate rush.

Tell Slavvy hi next time you see him for me

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Off to a dealership on Monday to sit on a bunch of bikes, and will likely do the same on Wednesday too. Stock is still an issue though, so I have a feeling I might end up pushing the budget and getting a Ninja 650 or something similar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about a cb/r500?

TheBacon posted:

Tell Slavvy hi next time you see him for me

That's not me cause I actually like bullshit Italian bikes

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

In case it helps the decision-making process, I can share my state of mind given a 4-mile commute the option of 2 bikes. Specifically, every morning when I go to work I have a choice between VanVan 200 or the larger Triumph T120.

The VanVan wins most days because:
-It's a more "active" riding experience given a brief jaunt on side streets. More shifting, throttle twisting, squeezing of brake levers, these are barely-conscious things but it really does have an effect for me.
-If I get a bug up my rear end from work frustrations and want to ride home like a hooligan, I can do that and still generally be within legal boundaries and reason.
-When it's drizzling I don't want to subject the nicer bike to corrosion.
-I've got it in my head that short runs are fundamentally harder on a large bike's engine because they're designed around an assumption of longer rides.
-I can cover it right away when I get home because it runs cool
-Miniscule but dily risk of damage to a vehicle or theft while parked in the wild, I'd rather it not be the more expensive one.

The T120 wins on occasion because:
-I didn't get a decent ride in on it during the weekend.
-I'm tired and just want to roll in to work like the cars do, but with heated grips.

When my wife can no longer climb onto the T120 I'll have a conundrum. Short commutes aside I enjoy riding the larger bike more, it's not limited in terms of range, so maybe it'd be best to accept "abusing" the T120 as a daily commuter and also have it available for my practically nonexistent solo weekend time. On the other hand, the VanVan keeps me at safe speeds most of the time, is more fun for that commute, is simple and easier to service, and loving shines when it comes to navigating parking lots.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

What about a cb/r500?

That's not me cause I actually like bullshit Italian bikes

CB500 and CMX500 are definitely going to be sat on asap. The problem I have with those and other bikes where there are 2 versions available is my stupid brain always wants the newer version and I don't have the experience to know if the new shocks and slipper clutch on the newer CB are worth the hefty price difference over a nearly new older model year version. Same with the MT03 where the newer model has upside down forks and a new dash etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Newer mt03: not worth it, differences exist but it's nothing you'd miss

Newer cb500: yeah the improved suspension etc is noticeable, I didn't realize they put a slipper clutch on an engine that already has bugger all engine braking but you definitely wouldn't miss that

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Newer mt03: not worth it, differences exist but it's nothing you'd miss

Newer cb500: yeah the improved suspension etc is noticeable, I didn't realize they put a slipper clutch on an engine that already has bugger all engine braking but you definitely wouldn't miss that

Thanks, that helps. I'll go and sit on a bunch of bikes next week then, and sit tight until a good deal comes along.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Went and sat on some bikes today. My main interests were: MT03, Ninja 400, Z400, CB500F and CMX500 Rebel. They only had the CB500F and Rebel, both of which felt nice. The Rebel is insanely low to the point I'm not sure how comfy it will be over any sort of distance, and on full lock I could barely reach the farthest handlebar grip. The CB felt really nice, not much else to say. In lieu of the Ninja/Z400 I sat on the Ninja and Z 650 and liked them both, so I think the 400s would be great.

So with all that in mind, here are my options after a trawl through Autotrader:
2020 Ninja 400 KRT edition, 980 miles. £5200, insurance £250. Aftermarket exhaust and tail tidy.
2019 Z400. 1200 miles. £4300, insurance £180. Aftermarket exhaust, tail tidy, heated grips, screen.
2021 CB500F (new model), 1900 miles. £4999, insurance £230. Heated grips.
2021 Rebel 500, 650 miles. £5600, insurance £190. Scorpion exhaust.

The Ninja looks the tits but not sure that is worth the price premium over the Z, so it feels like a choice between the Z and the CB500F.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 29, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sitting on them is not enough, go test ride them.

I sat on the Indian Scout and it felt great, I test rode it and it was a torture device.

Make a decision after test rides.

If the dealer gives you poo poo about test rides, just go to another dealer.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Can only test ride demo bikes and they have none in the bikes I'm looking at. Same with any other dealer around. Bike stock is hosed at the moment, if I was buying new it'd be 2023 for anything ordered right now. The Honda chap even said they aren't allowed Demo stock currently, only customer stock.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 29, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the z400 is better than the ninja. Accessories mean nothing and are worth nothing.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Do you have something similar to https://www.motoshare.nl where you live, where you can rent a private person's bike for a day?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

LimaBiker posted:

Do you have something similar to https://www.motoshare.nl where you live, where you can rent a private person's bike for a day?

No, that doesn't seem to be a thing in the UK.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Can only test ride demo bikes and they have none in the bikes I'm looking at. Same with any other dealer around. Bike stock is hosed at the moment, if I was buying new it'd be 2023 for anything ordered right now. The Honda chap even said they aren't allowed Demo stock currently, only customer stock.

Don't buy without a test ride, just don't.

There's 7 pages of CMX500 Rebels on Autotrader, and 15 pages of CB500 (7 for 2020 onwards), at least one of those dealers will let you test ride them.

If it means driving a few hours to get to a decent dealer, so be it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Went and sat on some bikes today. My main interests were: MT03, Ninja 400, Z400, CB500F and CMX500 Rebel. They only had the CB500F and Rebel, both of which felt nice. The Rebel is insanely low to the point I'm not sure how comfy it will be over any sort of distance, and on full lock I could barely reach the farthest handlebar grip. The CB felt really nice, not much else to say. In lieu of the Ninja/Z400 I sat on the Ninja and Z 650 and liked them both, so I think the 400s would be great.

So with all that in mind, here are my options after a trawl through Autotrader:
2020 Ninja 400 KRT edition, 980 miles. £5200, insurance £250. Aftermarket exhaust and tail tidy.
2019 Z400. 1200 miles. £4300, insurance £180. Aftermarket exhaust, tail tidy, heated grips, screen.
2021 CB500F (new model), 1900 miles. £4999, insurance £230. Heated grips.
2021 Rebel 500, 650 miles. £5600, insurance £190. Scorpion exhaust.

The Ninja looks the tits but not sure that is worth the price premium over the Z, so it feels like a choice between the Z and the CB500F.

The z400 sounds like the winner to me.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I finally found a Pan America at a shop and got to sit on one.

It was not as comfortable as I hoped.

I think I need to accept that Harleys are made for people who are 5’10” or shorter.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You sat on the loving tallest Harley ever made.

Go sit on a sportster or softail.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steakandchips posted:

You sat on the loving tallest Harley ever made.

Go sit on a sportster or softail.

He seemed to be complaining that it wasn't tall enough though?

While yes a cruiser will have different ergos that might accommodate better, it wouldn't have anything to do with seat height

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sit on a drz400 that has like a 37 inch saddle height. Tall doesn’t mean comfy though.

If I remember you have some physical hip issues? Might be easier to try to work that out if that’s an option rather than buying various things. Then you could be comfortable on most bikes.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Yeah. The problem is from my butt to the foot pegs. I’d probably be fine even if it didn’t lower overall height-wise.

Occurred to us after we got home that the seat has 3 different settings and the sales guy was too loving stupid to hear us talk about needing a different seat to adjust it for us.

Some of the worst salesmen (because of course they were all men) that I’ve ever seen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I were abnormally proportioned I would simply not ride a Harley Davidson

E: I mean I am abnormally proportioned, just in the other way so Yamahas all feel like riding a straight jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I sat on an Africa twin and that felt pretty stellar, need to find a non dct to test ride.