Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Target Practice posted:

How are you just doubling estimates? I could never get away with that as a consultant.

It's hard as a consultant because there's always some other dip poo poo consultant giving lower estimates on thier work.

As an internal team it's much easier because I deliver my estimates as immutable to product and they can decide what work to prioritise based on those estimates. If they start to question the Velocity vs Story points estimates I politey tell them to go gently caress themselves as delivery management is my job and they shouldn't be trying to look into our process. E. G. If our velocity is 20 sp and an epic is 40 sp I'll pop in a delivery date that's 4 sprints away because there will always be some concurrency issues working on the same epic etc plus other bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Aramoro posted:

dip poo poo consultant

Tautology

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I got a fun story out of my cousin at his kid’s graduation party yesterday. My cousin is a Mechanical Engineer with his PE who used to work for a company that makes valves.

At some point last year the company he works for got bought by some sort of Gordon Gecko type of company that just bleeds acquisitions dry before moving on. Nobody matters, everyone is a replaceable cog. He was furloughed last December for a couple of weeks. And of course there was no change in deadlines or workload so he had to work a bunch of unpaid overtime to make up his workload. When they did it again in March (coincidentally at the end of a quarter to juice the stock) he had enough and started looking.

His department is pretty small, just 3 engineers, one of them a managing engineer. He put in his notice on Friday, and his other coworker had put in their notice earlier in the week. The manager had the audacity to try the “I know you have to do what’s best for you, but your timing is awful”.

My cousin is pretty excited to be working with foam now, and has an even shorter commute. It was probably 20 minutes, and will now be like 8.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm sure that furlough wasn't great timing for employees either

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Yeah, I've had to use work and duration with the design team to get reasonable estimates, then I do the resource leveling so nobody gets hosed with more work.

My mom decided it was time to retire from her engineering job when she estimated how long something would take and her bosses went to a new hire for his estimate then insisted she get it done by his (way too short) deadline. Male new hire also, of course; if I’d ever had any doubts how utterly sexist engineering is as a profession, just the stories she told me at home would have cured me of THAT delusion.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

MadDogMike posted:

if I’d ever had any doubts how utterly sexist engineering is as a profession, just the stories she told me at home would have cured me of THAT delusion.
Engineers as a general group are best thought of as very bright morons (“Idiot savant” is too generous) and they have exactly the sorts of beliefs and behaviors you would expect from morons.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's now been almost 6 weeks since one of our senior developers got caught disabling all his laptop's security software.
The incident investigation is "still in progress".

I wish our VPs would just say "this guy is too important so we're going to ignore this" instead of just hoping our security officer forgets.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Crackbone posted:

It's now been almost 6 weeks since one of our senior developers got caught disabling all his laptop's security software.
The incident investigation is "still in progress".

I wish our VPs would just say "this guy is too important so we're going to ignore this" instead of just hoping our security officer forgets.

your VP is wise beyond his years. Doing nothing is the best course of action when nothing may yet happen

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TotalLossBrain posted:

Dumb poo poo recruiters do: I've had two recruiters message me on LinkedIn explaining how they need be to apply to this ME position.
My profile is pretty clear that I'm an EE. Is this a lazy, poorly automated script?

I also got another recruiter messaged me to apply for a job with the weapons group at LANL.
Lolwat gtfo

I’ve been to LANL, it does not feel as safe as other similar facilities, though my dosimeter read the same before and after.

lesserworm
Feb 6, 2006
If you ever wish to visit...don't.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Dumb poo poo recruiters do: I've had two recruiters message me on LinkedIn explaining how they need be to apply to this ME position.
My profile is pretty clear that I'm an EE. Is this a lazy, poorly automated script?

I also got another recruiter messaged me to apply for a job with the weapons group at LANL.
Lolwat gtfo

I just had a guy do this to me. 50 percent of the job he pitched is exactly what I do: Technical writing and copywriting. The other 50 percent would be spent "being an engineer." I have only ever been a writer or editor. Where did this guy get the idea that I could suddenly be an engineer?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

lesserworm posted:

I just had a guy do this to me. 50 percent of the job he pitched is exactly what I do: Technical writing and copywriting. The other 50 percent would be spent "being an engineer." I have only ever been a writer or editor. Where did this guy get the idea that I could suddenly be an engineer?

I mean how hard could it be to be an engineer? Just make sure the train stays on the tracks, seems pretty easy to me.

This is a joke, don't want any real engineers chasing after me in their trains for belittling their profession

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

MourningGlory posted:

Engineers as a general group are best thought of as very bright morons (“Idiot savant” is too generous) and they have exactly the sorts of beliefs and behaviors you would expect from morons.

Generally I’d go with moronic morons(idiot, idiots might be too generous)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

champagne posting posted:

your VP is wise beyond his years. Doing nothing is the best course of action when nothing may yet happen

Wait, I don’t get it. Would there be a legit reason for him to do that, or would it indicate he was trying to take malicious action? Or just that he’s so senior nobody really cares?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Zil posted:

I mean how hard could it be to be an engineer? Just make sure the train stays on the tracks, seems pretty easy to me.

This is a joke, don't want any real engineers chasing after me in their trains for belittling their profession

I'd rather drive a train

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wait, I don’t get it. Would there be a legit reason for him to do that, or would it indicate he was trying to take malicious action? Or just that he’s so senior nobody really cares?

I think it's more of an issue he could disable the security rather than the action of doing it. Seems to me like the security wasn't working in the first place?

Dude should get a raise and promotion for discovering the flaws!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In my experience, 99.9% of the time it’s because developers will blame literally anything except their code for that code’s failure to compile/function/not cause a production outage. (Full disclosure: I also do this when some weird network connectivity error pops up.) The guy refactored something wrong, or tried to remove the magic uncommented function that someone else wrote 12 years ago and no one understands, or just got a little ambitious with his variable types, or something equally not-security’s-fault. So of course we need to remove all security and management software, because obviously the thing that makes sure he isn’t storing SSNs in plaintext on his desktop or updates his Outlook overnight is what caused that to fail.

The problem is that 0.1% of the time, they’re jumping ship to a competitor and don’t want the massive data exfiltration to show up in anyone’s logs, so it’s someone’s job to investigate it like it’s the latter case, and then hand it down to desktop techs to tell the user “stop doing that poo poo” once you rule it out.

Slayerjerman posted:

I think it's more of an issue he could disable the security rather than the action of doing it. Seems to me like the security wasn't working in the first place?

“But the development team told us in 1997 that they have to do all of their daily work as root! We can’t just take that away and tell them to use a standard account! No, we also can’t do any checking to see if it’s really necessary, because something about sprints or Kanban. Go away.”

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 30, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm so burnt out with overtime expectations. I'll work overtime when I feel like it. I know how it went in my last job: poo poo goes south and I'm the first person operations calls. You stay to help out and suddenly it's your problem too. I need to brush up on lying convincingly before I bomb another interview. Does every company expect employee loyalty because I'm fresh out of that. No loyalty. None. Never happening.

"If there was [significant emergency] would you be willing to stay as late as necessary to stabilize the situation and prevent a disaster?"

"Uh sure... :bang: if there's a safety concern :bang: that's what I've always done in the past" (and not anymore, gently caress that.)

Too honest. I shoulda just said "Yes, always."

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Finally had a meeting that involved laying out an actual loving production schedule. I'm very burnt out after last week's bullshit so I don't know what direction I'm taking.

Near the end of the meeting my boss asked me if I could make wine. My answer was something along the lines of "I mean... technically I probably could." I don't know a ton about wine making. I mean, I'm sure I could ferment juice into alcohol and not have it taste like total garbage, but from my understanding, the really difficult parts of wine making are making/blending the juice then, if you barrel age it, selecting the barrels for blending. I guess there were a lot of wineries that popped up here after most lockdowns and stuff ended, and there was stimulus money going around. My former coworker actually works at a wine equipment supplier now. I have no idea what the hell their plan is. I think it's still just a thought. Sorta hope it stays that way.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Escape From Noise posted:

Finally had a meeting that involved laying out an actual loving production schedule. I'm very burnt out after last week's bullshit so I don't know what direction I'm taking.

Near the end of the meeting my boss asked me if I could make wine. My answer was something along the lines of "I mean... technically I probably could." I don't know a ton about wine making. I mean, I'm sure I could ferment juice into alcohol and not have it taste like total garbage, but from my understanding, the really difficult parts of wine making are making/blending the juice then, if you barrel age it, selecting the barrels for blending. I guess there were a lot of wineries that popped up here after most lockdowns and stuff ended, and there was stimulus money going around. My former coworker actually works at a wine equipment supplier now. I have no idea what the hell their plan is. I think it's still just a thought. Sorta hope it stays that way.

They are expecting you to make mango and passion fruit oat champagne next week, good luck!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

They are expecting you to make mango and passion fruit oat champagne next week, good luck!

What? No lactose?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hyrax Attack! posted:

no I mean the vp not pushing the issue until it’s actually an issue for him or the developer is what you want to do in that situation

Why make a fuss if it’s not your fuss to make?

Fruit wines are tricky because for a lot of fruit if it is fresh it ties you to the seasons for that fruit. The quality not only depends on your winemaking skills but a heck of a lot on fruit ripeness and even more on whether the weather behaves this year. A winery near-ish me makes wines from gooseberries and rhubarb and the quality swings wildly depending on how good a year it was for that fruit. Got a dry, hot season? Your gooseberry wine is now sickly sweet, bad rhubarb harvest? Your nice looking wine now tastes of nothing.

You will be at the mercy of the merciless god of wine

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 30, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Near the end of the meeting my boss asked me if I could make wine. My answer was something along the lines of "I mean... technically I probably could." I don't know a ton about wine making.

Look, people in prisons make wine. You can make wine.

"Porcelain Throne™ Fruit Wine - taste the adventure!"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

Look, people in prisons make wine. You can make wine.

"Porcelain Throne™ Fruit Wine - taste the adventure!"

I wish our marketing was half that good/focused.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I thought you worked in a brewery in Japan

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Our manager quit, which now makes four in five years.

You'd think divison leadership would take a closer look at what's burning them out after the third or so, but here we are.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I thought you worked in a brewery in Japan

I do. It's a small brewery (500 liter single batch with 6 500 liter fermentation tanks) owned by a very large restaurant management company. I guess the section head (I think? I'm not good at corporate structures/titles) saw that there was a recent spike in wineries and wants to look into that. I don't know. Kind of weird when I've been waiting on a replacement for my cheap pH meter that broke a few months ago, we don't have enough cold room space to brew at full capacity, and they're constantly trying to get way more volume out of this place than would even be possible at full capacity. It'd probably be cheaper to build a bigger brewery, transfer the license over, maybe apply for a beer license for that facility, and then maybe transfer the happoshu license back to the first facility once that happens. But that decision is above my pay grade.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should have said no.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

You should have said no.

I probably should have. I think it's just a thought. If it goes any further I'll tell him he'll need to hire a vitner.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Outrail posted:

But do do this to scam callers obviously.

There's always some genius that says to blow a whistle down the phone at a scam caller.

Cause you know, they definitely won't just call back later from another number and do it to you.

Or your kid.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Japanese Brewer Goon..i think you should look for a new job cause I feel you are fighting against windmills on this one and it will never end

Cause I think this place will grind you down before you ever get the chance to open something of your own .

Take care.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Extra row of tits posted:

There's always some genius that says to blow a whistle down the phone at a scam caller.

Cause you know, they definitely won't just call back later from another number and do it to you.

Or your kid.

2600 Hz. "The name is Capn Crunch, motherfucker." :frogc00l:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I do. It's a small brewery (500 liter single batch with 6 500 liter fermentation tanks) owned by a very large restaurant management company. I guess the section head (I think? I'm not good at corporate structures/titles) saw that there was a recent spike in wineries and wants to look into that. I don't know. Kind of weird when I've been waiting on a replacement for my cheap pH meter that broke a few months ago, we don't have enough cold room space to brew at full capacity, and they're constantly trying to get way more volume out of this place than would even be possible at full capacity. It'd probably be cheaper to build a bigger brewery, transfer the license over, maybe apply for a beer license for that facility, and then maybe transfer the happoshu license back to the first facility once that happens. But that decision is above my pay grade.

your bosses are morons and you are made to suffer

but such is the way of this thread, never stop posting

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Japanese Brewer Goon..i think you should look for a new job cause I feel you are fighting against windmills on this one and it will never end

Cause I think this place will grind you down before you ever get the chance to open something of your own .

Take care.

I get you. I don't really have an exit at the moment. I was just too worn out to do any job hunting this weekend and I'm still not super into the idea of going back to teaching either. There aren't really any openings in the industry that I know of. I'm going to try and get more serious about finding something else in the next few weeks. We actually set up a production schedule today. If we can at least stick to that I'll be okay. This was with the section head who's generally more level headed and receptive. If they do a winery I'm not going to take that on. I'll admit parts of it interest me (especially blending. I'd like to do sour ales eventually) but it wouldn't be worth the stress.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I probably should have. I think it's just a thought. If it goes any further I'll tell him he'll need to hire a vitner.

You could maybe make a barley wine.

Wine wine is an insane industry.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

You could maybe make a barley wine.

Wine wine is an insane industry.

I'd like to try a barley wine, but it can be a hard sell. That said, at our size it wouldn't be the biggest gamble. Hell, we could arguably cellar some leftover bottles and kegs for a year if it wasn't too much volume.

But yeah. I don't really know anything about wine except the fermentation and I guess the aging part. Which are kinda the easy parts from what I understand. I guess you could buy juice blends from professionals, but the whole blending thing is a lot. Also the whole making your entire volume for the year once a year.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

But yeah. I don't really know anything about wine except the fermentation and I guess the aging part. Which are kinda the easy parts from what I understand. I guess you could buy juice blends from professionals, but the whole blending thing is a lot. Also the whole making your entire volume for the year once a year.

Aging is a whole science onto itself. Afaik, and I just got a very brief explanation from My Girlfriend who is a degree holder in wine, beer and fermented beverages, and basically it depends on your grape, year, blend, barrels and a whole host of other things.

I wonder if you can even source good enough wine grapes in Japan. I mean sure you can buy frozen concentrate but that will not net you good wine

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

double post but finally both my username and degree and partners degree becoming useful

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

double post but finally both my username and degree and partners degree becoming useful

Only if you’re posting from the champagne region otherwise it’s just sparkling posting

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Aging is a whole science onto itself. Afaik, and I just got a very brief explanation from My Girlfriend who is a degree holder in wine, beer and fermented beverages, and basically it depends on your grape, year, blend, barrels and a whole host of other things.

I wonder if you can even source good enough wine grapes in Japan. I mean sure you can buy frozen concentrate but that will not net you good wine

I have a little experience with barrel aging. I shouldn't have said easy for aging. More "easy". It's definitely not something I feel very confident about.

When it comes to sourcing must, I have no loving clue. It's been taking off more recently, so there must (get it???) be a way. Probably mostly from Australia and New Zealand if I had to guess but it's not really my area.

If you put a gun to my head I am somewhat confident I could produce an okay table wine that wouldn't make you spit it out immediately, or at least a minimally sellable product. It's never gonna be popular though and it wouldn't be at volumes it could be sold cheaply. I don't really drink wine very often. I think my original post came off more confident than I meant it. I'm slightly more confident about my ability to make cider. But only just.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Armitag3 posted:

Only if you’re posting from the champagne region otherwise it’s just sparkling posting

posting from outside of France to spite Institut national de l'origine et de la qualité

I have a little experience with barrel aging. I shouldn't have said easy for aging. More "easy". It's definitely not something I feel very confident about.

When it comes to sourcing must, I have no loving clue. It's been taking off more recently, so there must (get it???) be a way. Probably mostly from Australia and New Zealand if I had to guess but it's not really my area.

If you put a gun to my head I am somewhat confident I could produce an okay table wine that wouldn't make you spit it out immediately, or at least a minimally sellable product. It's never gonna be popular though and it wouldn't be at volumes it could be sold cheaply. I don't really drink wine very often. I think my original post came off more confident than I meant it. I'm slightly more confident about my ability to make cider. But only just.

You could probably make some very acceptable fruit wines or some nature wines (wild wines? I forget what they're called in english). But at your volume it cant possibly be worth making it from anything other than fresh grapes. Look up the term British Wine if you haven't already

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 30, 2022