Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She could have also taken up a collection from the coworkers, get a couple bucks from each and bought her a gf cake with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cythereal posted:

I(18M) fell in love with an lesbian(18F)

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Breetai posted:

Y'all don't know poo poo about baking

There's a bunch of stuff out there. This cake is piss-easy to make, the only special ingredient is 150g of almond meal, and it's delicious. I've served it to my diagnosed celiac cousins on multiple occasions and they've been completely fine. Even in Australia, land of ridiculous grocery prices, buying that much almond meal in the least economical manner possible (a 150g bag from Woolworths) costs under $4.

It took me 5 minutes to find that recipe when googling and it came out perfect first time. Baker OP didn't want to put in any effort.

OP stated in the comments that the person has legitimate celiac allergies. So no, it's an issue of cross contamination.

Goons sure do get hung up on food allergies.

ETA: corrected for allergies not celiac.

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 30, 2022

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like it's a whole different ball of wax if you take something to work versus feeding it to family because there's liability issues either way, but it can create a big problem with your job, too, if you give somebody an allergic reaction because of accidental cross contamination.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Barudak posted:

Shes the woman from the story who makes her current boyfriend pay royalties to her ex

In that instance, wasn't it that the current boyfriend insisted on paying royalties, and the ex messaged her to say "Hey, your bf has some hosed up ideas about ownership of women".

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fatty posted:

In that instance, wasn't it that the current boyfriend insisted on paying royalties, and the ex messaged her to say "Hey, your bf has some hosed up ideas about ownership of women".

1500 bucks a month if I recall correctly

lmao. rofl even

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I overheard some guys chattin about that when I was in uni.

They called it a "roll with butter" and the standard fee was like five bucks. It's apparently a thing in multiple places.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cythereal posted:

I(18M) fell in love with an lesbian(18F)

Chasing Amy reboot looking p boring

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I overheard some guys chattin about that when I was in uni.

They called it a "roll with butter" and the standard fee was like five bucks. It's apparently a thing in multiple places.

You sure you didn't mishear and the standard payment was 5 to the jaw?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean person aint required to bake for whoever they want or don’t want

but it’s real easy now. you can just go buy a box of name brand gf cake mix from the store. cross contamination isn’t going to be a huge problem if you just wash things and take a little caution. i’ve baked for my celiac friend a bunch and i mill my own flours.

it’s understandable they might not want to tho, you have to be careful about touching poo poo. not hard just need to be detail oriented

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You've got no idea what someone's kitchen looks like in action.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
yeah and if the coworker gets sick from anything else at all in the past week, fingers will be pointed at the baker coworker. Doesn't matter what.

Best case, she could have said cross contamination was a fear so she could not bake, but would find something else that would be safe. Of course the coworker probably would have screamed the place down regardless.

No more cakes at that workplace, I bet.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Aren't flourless chocolate tortes traditionally gluten free? Ain't nothing special about it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for kicking out a guest for getting upset with my daughter?

quote:

Throwaway as it involves a little too much info for my liking. Grammer isn't my strong suit so sorry for any errors.

I(40s) had a long time friend(40s) "Mary" stay at my house this past week for a visit. Mary lives in a city 3 hours away and I live in the country on 20 acres so she wanted to come on a vacation to catch up and unwind. Things went great for the most part until she woke up early one morning. This is where the problem started.

I have a 9 year old daughter named "Lori". Every morning since in got warm out, Lori has started coming out on the porch as soon as she wakes up with a glass of tea and whatever book she is reading at that moment. She usually wakes up an hour before everyone else. Now, I don't mind this. She never leaves the porch and I have a ring camera so we had a discussion on rules around it and as long as she continues as she has, her dad and I don't mind. Just an important note, our home is not close to a road so we feel it's safe.

Well, as I stated, one morning, Mary woke up early. I woke up to the camera as per usual and saw Lori on the porch and dozed back off. I woke up again to the camera and screaming. I checked the camera and rushed outside as Mary was yelling at Lori. When I got to the porch, Lori was in tears and Mary asked me if I knew Lori was outside when no one was awake. I told her yes and sorry for forgetting to tell her about this. I told her it's ok and Lori does this every morning and we are ok with it. Mary yelled that this was abuse as Lori was way too young to be outside without supervision. I informed her I had a camera and Lori was perfectly safe. She continued to lay into me about it until I told her I think it'd be best if she left. She packed up and left within the hour.

My husband thinks I'm in the wrong for kicking Mary out when she was just concerned for Lori and that Mary was from the city where it isn't safe to allow something like this. I think I could be in the wrong for not explaining our mornings but I don't think I'm wrong for allowing Lori her quiet mornings on the porch.

AITA?

Tldr: Friend from the city is mad that I let my 9 year old sit on the porch before we wake up in the morning. AITaa for kicking her out over it?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

Accusing someone of child abuse because they let their kid read on the porch in the morning is some amazing level of brain worms.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

Unless Lori is from Ciudad Juárez I can’t think of a place where a 9 year old sitting on a porch is on any danger.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

9 years old is like being sent to the corner store on their own age and this crazy woman is upset at a 9 year old reading a book on her own front porch???

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baronjutter posted:

9 years old is like being sent to the corner store on their own age and this crazy woman is upset at a 9 year old reading a book on her own front porch???

My neighbors would give me dirty looks for letting our daughter ride her bike around the neighborhood alone at 9. Suburban people are deeply afraid.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Mx. posted:

look. I expected to see an empty porch.

Instead, I saw a porch with a nine-year-old on it, drinking tea.

totally reasonable and normal response to start screaming and pulling your hair out.

like I was getting my oil changed the other day and they offered me a cup of coffee.

what I expected to see was a container with liquid creamer.
what I saw was a cylindrical container full of white powdery poo poo.

I screamed "you must be kidding me!!", Kicked over the table with the coffee maker on it and started screaming at the top of my lungs. The whole 9 yards.

Long story short I'm getting a new mechanic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh poo poo what if a creepy stranger came by

She might have to go inside!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

therobit posted:

My neighbors would give me dirty looks for letting our daughter ride her bike around the neighborhood alone at 9. Suburban people are deeply afraid.

I've noticed that american kids are held back developmentally by a good 5-10 years compared to most places simply through their hosed up car culture and paranoia. Like a US suburban 16 year old is at the level of personal independence a 10 year old in most places, while actual 10 year olds are treated as fully helpless infants. I read insane poo poo in these reddit posts like 13 year olds who need babysitters. Is this a universal US thing or only in the worst sort of suburbs? In slightly older US media I'm always seeing fairly little kids walking to elementary school or hanging out with their friends independently.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Brawnfire posted:

Oh poo poo what if a creepy stranger came by

She might have to go inside!!!

There's no evidence that granos is anywhere near the op

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I've noticed that american kids are held back developmentally by a good 5-10 years compared to most places simply through their hosed up car culture and paranoia. Like a US suburban 16 year old is at the level of personal independence a 10 year old in most places, while actual 10 year olds are treated as fully helpless infants. I read insane poo poo in these reddit posts like 13 year olds who need babysitters. Is this a universal US thing or only in the worst sort of suburbs? In slightly older US media I'm always seeing fairly little kids walking to elementary school or hanging out with their friends independently.

It’s 100% area and parent related. I’m in a suburb and despite working off of a busy intersection I see kids biking everywhere from the neighborhoods nearby.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I think it really got worse once smartphones and 24/7 monitoring became ubiquitous. I grew up in the mid/late 90s in the suburbs and it was very normal for kids to walk home by themselves from elementary and middle schools or just be out with their friends for a few hours. It was literally impossible to know exactly where your child was at all times then, so what was the point in freaking out about it? Now it’s super easy to be a control freak.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think it really got worse once smartphones and 24/7 monitoring became ubiquitous. I grew up in the mid/late 90s in the suburbs and it was very normal for kids to walk home by themselves from elementary and middle schools or just be out with their friends for a few hours. It was literally impossible to know exactly where your child was at all times then, so what was the point in freaking out about it? Now it’s super easy to be a control freak.

It’s gotta be this. If you can’t monitor your kids at all times then your choices are basically telling them to come home when the streetlights come on, or never ever letting them leave home, and I’d imagine even most helicopter parents wouldn’t be able to handle their kid at home at all times

I grew up in the suburbs and basically as soon as I knew how to ride a bike (age ~6) I was free to do whatever so long as I was either home by dark, or called home to get permission not to be

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I blame true crime. I live in a nice neighborhood, think great for trick or treating. My wife tells me I want her and all my family to get murdered because I left the front door unlocked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It varies but definitely got worse probably starting in the 90s and in the suburbs, especially when suburbs gave up the vestige of being walkable or having anywhere worth walking to. People were trained to be paranoid angry shut-ins and see everyone else as a threat.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I think some people also have kid-age-blindess. They can't tell the difference between a three and nine year old, have no memory of when they were kids and how the adults around them dealt with their various and growing levels of maturity and responsibility, and just knee-jerk scream "That's an abandoned child with irresponsible parents!" whenever they see a child doing stuff out in the world.

The fact that modern American life keeps children hidden away from adults most of the time probably contributes to this. Would do a lot of us childless adults or older busybodies some good to see some gangs of little ragamuffins going about their daily business and realize that, while some of the stuff they can get up to is dangerous and needs some adult intervention, most of it is neutral and okay.

Also you were worlds of different when you were a five year old vs. a nine year old! Don't you remember that poo poo?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think true crime and similar media has been enforcing it, but I suspect that those genres have grown a lot in popularity because the fear and distrust is endemic in the north american subconcious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Helicopter parenting became normalised, or more often just shoving your child in their room and throwing electronics at them to keep them quiet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and throwing electronics at them to keep them quiet.

This was much more effective with CRTs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah she says she is only ok with it because there is a camera around. Frankly she should be ok without that too.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for asking my son Steve to loan his classic car to my son Henry for his wedding photos and the bride and grooms car?

quote:

[Our ages and genders: I'm male and age 52. I have 3 children, Steve age 29, Henry age 27 and Catlin age 25. Henry's fiancée Pearl is 26]

One of my sons, "Henry", is going to be getting married soon. My son, "Steve", has a ford A model car from sometime in the 1920s. I can't remember what year exactly. Henry's wedding has a 1920s theme in terms of the decor and the wedding dress / tuxedos Henry and his bride, "Pearl", are wearing. When Pearl found out about Steve's car she asked him if they could use it in their wedding, as the car the her and Henry use to drive from the church to the reception hall (about 10 minutes away) and to use in some photos of her and Henry because of the theme. Steve said no to Pearl's request. This upset Henry because Pearl had her heart set on it and they have been unable to find a 1920s car to rent for the wedding. There were a few available for rent but the price was far out of their price range.

Steve does drive the car on public roads all the time. It isn't just something he keeps in his garage or for show that no one ever uses. The reception venue is less than 10 minutes from the church and Steve drives it greater distances then that. He also takes it to car shows and lets people take photos of it, with or without them in it, all the time. The car is most definitely insured. Henry went so far as to offer as to offer to take out his own insurance policy on the car for the day of the wedding or to have a contract drawn up by a lawyer that he and Pearl would be responsible for costs if anything happened. But Steve still said no. Him and Henry have always gotten along and been on good terms before this.

I've also asked Steve to let Henry and Pearl use the car for the wedding but he said no and got a frustrated and upset me for asking after he already said no to Pearl and Henry. I know my ex-wife and had asked him too. Pearl is really upset because she had her heart set on having a 1920s car at the wedding and Henry is doing everything he can to make it happen because Pearl asks for so little; she is the opposite of demanding. But no matter what anyone says Steve refuses and is frustrated at anyone who asked him about the car. He says it's not for use in weddings. Was I wrong in asking him to do his for his brother?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Steve isn't obligated to let them use the car, but he better hope he never needs a favour from his family in the future.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for saying having kids would ruin my life?

quote:

Hello all, I will keep this short and sweet. I (40F) do contract work, so I am moving every 3 months or so. I’m also happily single, and have never wanted to have kids. I am very content with my life. I get to do whatever I want, whenever I want. It’s the bees knees.

Anyway, onto the story. The other day I was at work, for the record I work with a lot of women. The topic of family and children came up and I was asked when I was going to have kids. I said never. One lady kept bugging me about it, saying I’d change my mind when I met the right person, having a baby will be so satisfying, I’d regret it, and my personal favorite, that I was being selfish by not having kids.

I’ve heard all this before, it’s nothing new, I usually just brush it off. I tried my usual brushing, but this one woman was being so persistent. And smug. Like she knew me better than I knew myself, and honestly it just irritated me. I told her “I’m 40, I think I know best if I want kids or not. And honestly, having a baby sounds like a literal nightmare. It’s not something I ever want, and having kids would absolutely ruin my life.”

After I said that she got really huffy, and told me she didn’t know how I could hate kids, that she has four, so I think her life is ruined? I told her no, that I’m happy she has a satisfying life and that’s what works for her. But that lifestyle doesn’t work for me. Not everyone needs to be a mother.

She stopped talking to me, and the other people around said I was too harsh. Plus I heard through the grapevine she was filing a complaint with HR.

AITA? I admit I could have handled the situation with a bit more tact, but she got under my skin. Plus honestly, I was tired of the conversation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

AITA for saying having kids would ruin my life?

what the hell is HR actionable there?

Well, besides harassing a co-worker about their reproduction, but that's the wrong person

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Funktastic posted:

AITA for asking my son Steve to loan his classic car to my son Henry for his wedding photos and the bride and grooms car?

Does Steve think they're going to consummate the marriage in the car?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Breetai posted:

Y'all don't know poo poo about baking

There's a bunch of stuff out there. This cake is piss-easy to make, the only special ingredient is 150g of almond meal, and it's delicious. I've served it to my diagnosed celiac cousins on multiple occasions and they've been completely fine. Even in Australia, land of ridiculous grocery prices, buying that much almond meal in the least economical manner possible (a 150g bag from Woolworths) costs under $4.

It took me 5 minutes to find that recipe when googling and it came out perfect first time. Baker OP didn't want to put in any effort.
People keep saying variations on this. Yes, there are reliable gluten-free recipes out there.

If somebody has an actual gluten allergy, it isn't good enough to make a gluten-free recipe in the kitchen where you normally bake gluten-rich foods. There was a gluten-free bakery in my last town that had its employees shower and change before they entered the bakery, to make sure that no outside gluten was brought in. The employees were also not allowed to bake anything at home that contained gluten. Because, for people with the severest allergies, grains of flour carried on clothing can be enough to bring on a reaction. OP's mixer probably has grains of flour in the controls, in the place where the bowl attaches to the mixer, in any joins in the surface of the mixer. That stuff can easily contaminate something you're baking. And OP calls this out as the reason they aren't comfortable baking something and claiming it's gluten-free.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If he's already said no then the people continually weedling him about it when the situation hasn't changed are assholes.

Do you think the married couple chose the 1920s theme because they were expecting to be able to use the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

This was much more effective with CRTs.

Took me a second but :drat: