Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"I thought I would be playing big budget JRPGs on the Steam Deck but instead found myself playing indies like Crystal Project and the FF Pixel Remasters that aren't on any other platform instead!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrzXQxb0X0c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crystal Project rules, it'll definitely be a mainstay on the Deck when mine returns

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Youtubers making videos of varying length about what they, personally are playing on Steam Deck has to be some of the lowest quality content I have ever seen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

veni veni veni posted:

Youtubers making videos of varying length about what they, personally are playing on Steam Deck has to be some of the lowest quality content I have ever seen.
I'm glad a bunch of people are making videos about what they're playing because Valve is incredibly slow at testing and extremely bad at surfacing info about what works and also how well it works.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's not what that video is though. At least the 5 minutes I watched. Which were just some stream of conscious about what he'd rather play on a tower or on a Steam Deck. Idg how that is useful or interesting at all. It's literally just some dude listing what games he's playing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why do alot if not nearly all of my games update every time I start my deck on a new day?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Why do alot if not nearly all of my games update every time I start my deck on a new day?

Trying to pull any cloud saves down?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

veni veni veni posted:

That's not what that video is though. At least the 5 minutes I watched. Which were just some stream of conscious about what he'd rather play on a tower or on a Steam Deck. Idg how that is useful or interesting at all. It's literally just some dude listing what games he's playing.
I knew about the Pixel Remaster games but did not know about the Crystal Project game and overall it's thematically about something - thinking you'll get a Deck to play big fancy 3D games and then finding yourself not actually wanting to play them at 30fps and 1hr30m battery life, and finding a bunch of indie games more appealing instead - this is an experiential phenomena that not everyone is going to experience, but I find it interesting.

SEKCobra posted:

It's just shader updates isn't it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not trying to hate if you enjoy it, more power to you. I've just seen multiple YT guys posted itt making these videos "I thought I would play x on deck but instead I'm playing Y" and idg why I should care about it anymore than they should care what games I'm playing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not trying to hate if you enjoy it, more power to you. I've just seen multiple YT guys posted itt making these videos "I thought I would play x on deck but instead I'm playing Y" and idg why I should care about it anymore than they should care what games I'm playing.
If you got more of 'em post 'em

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Valve Steam Deck posted:

It's just shader updates isn't it?

Possible, but why so many and often?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
gently caress always online DRM, the servers for Hitman are acting up and now everything loads extremely slowly, sometimes hanging forever. Can't save anymore and after doing a perfect run I don't even get to see my silent assassin rating. Also finished the mission, but exits wouldn't spawn until minutes later, because apparently the win condition is decided by the server...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I hope this is accurate. I just sold a revised Tundra for $380 so I have even more cash than usual burning a hole in my slush fund.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Does anyone have issues with force closing games? It seems like every time I can't get a game to close normally the force close shortcut does absolutely nothing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Postman posted:

Does anyone have issues with force closing games? It seems like every time I can't get a game to close normally the force close shortcut does absolutely nothing.

I've had this before and rebooting was my only option.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

The Postman posted:

Same, a (soft) reboot is the only thing that solves it when this happens. I'm gonna try to use system monitor (added as non-steam game) to close hanged apps next time it happens.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've had to force close quite a few times in the 1 day I've had it - too many times. All but once keeping both keys pressed for a while eventually closed the game. I did one power button hard reboot, though that may have been before I learned to keep Steam+B pressed for long enough.

It's surprising to see repeatable crashes in Elden Ring for example. Certain settings changes require quitting back to the main menu to take effect. The next Continue from there is a guaranteed game crash. Next start up is fine.

Wouldn't have noticed those crashes as much if I wasn't chasing the 40/40 dream with ER, but I've given up on it for now. Game is great at 30/60 though the difference in input lag is noticeable even to me who is otherwise not overly sensitive to it. It's not a deal breaker by a long shot, but the difference is there.

40hz/40fps is such a cool idea.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What is the per-game TDP power limit supposed to do? I've set it to 10W in for eg Dark Souls 2 and the game will sit at 13+W all the time.

Is it limiting just CPU power draw? And you have to use GPU frequency to limit GPU power draw? It makes sense that you can't have one limit across the 2, since deciding how to distribute allocation can't be done well automatically, so best to leave it to the user.

Any tips on how to tweak/manager power for lengthening battery usage would be appreciated.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yes I think TDP is just for the cpu. In my (very brief) testing it doesn't seem to do anything unless it's set to minimum, at which point everything lags. A guide on how to get results out of the TDP/GPU clock settings would be good, because I can't seem to do anything except cause the game to run poorly. I'm not sure setting it lower actually does anything because the CPU and GPU are supposed to clock down when not being used anyway.

I could be totally wrong, but I think you can achieve better results by just setting the fps cap / refresh rate lower and letting the cpu/gpu manage themselves.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, settings and fps caps seem reasonable enough for now.

I like that the power port is on top, unlike the Switch. I have a lightweight braided cable that flexes well enough that you don't feel its drag on the Deck if charging while playing. Charging while using the Switch feels more uncomfortable.

Wish there was a Steam+? shortcut binding to toggle the fps/power overlay. Though I guess you can hit the ... button to get a quick look at battery while in a game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Has anyone played around much with Action Sets and Layers on the Deck? The Steam Controller interface is different on Deck from PC and I can't figure out how to do something that's pretty straightforward on PC: binding the touchpads to joystick movement (left) and mouse look (right) while also letting them be dpad on click on the left and ABXY on click on the right.

I've created layers on the Default action set with the dpad and button keys and then bound that to the click action on the touchpad but that doesn't work. Tried a new action set, but no dice with that either.

This is straightforward to do on the Steam Controller, so I'm sure I'm just missing something different in the new interface.

With my larger hands I find reaching the L1/R1 bumpers a bit too cramped when using the dpad/ ABXY. I've bound L1/R1 to L4/R4 back buttons for but and that works ok, but it'd be cool to see if I could finally get used to pure touchpad use on this device.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL that I’m spending my weekend meticulously going through all the consoles in EmulationStation/RetroArch/etc…, setting up each new one perfectly to my liking and ignoring any Steam games.

The fact that this particular aspect of the Deck draws like only 7 watts is even better.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Regarding expectations of what I'd be playing: thought I would play bigly powerful aaa games but I spend most of my time playing umihara kawase and cursing in bed until I fall asleep.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've been playing a lot of Rogue Legacy 2. That is not unexpected.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
This 40hz thing rules, I played Titanfall 2 for like an hour and it only used 10% of the battery

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My late-night game has recently been Paradise Killer. It's a super chill investigation game where you walk around a vaporwave world full of wacky poo poo to look at while listening to vaporwave tunes and try to figure out who murdered a bunch of narcissistic sociopaths that everyone had a reason to hate.

It also works super well in 40hz mode for saving battery.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Can't link because steam mobile doesn't do urls to copy, but bomber crew is free right now. Supposed deck compatible as well. It is another ftl type game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

v1ld posted:

Has anyone played around much with Action Sets and Layers on the Deck? The Steam Controller interface is different on Deck from PC and I can't figure out how to do something that's pretty straightforward on PC: binding the touchpads to joystick movement (left) and mouse look (right) while also letting them be dpad on click on the left and ABXY on click on the right.

I've created layers on the Default action set with the dpad and button keys and then bound that to the click action on the touchpad but that doesn't work. Tried a new action set, but no dice with that either.

This is straightforward to do on the Steam Controller, so I'm sure I'm just missing something different in the new interface.

What you're looking for is mode switching, and I can't find a way to do it in the Deck's interface either. You'll have to go into desktop mode and open Steam and do controller configuration there.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Can't link because steam mobile doesn't do urls to copy, but bomber crew is free right now. Supposed deck compatible as well. It is another ftl type game.

Looks very cool! Thanks for bringing it up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/537800/Bomber_Crew/

(In the steam app you can click a share button - it’s next to “follow” - then just tap the url and it will copy to clipboard)

If anyone else is looking at this, don’t buy the discounted Deluxe edition. If you want to maximize your $$$, claim the free one then independently add all the DLC. The Deluxe still charges you for the base game (and includes a soundtrack which I also didn’t care to purchase).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dramicus posted:

My late-night game has recently been Paradise Killer. It's a super chill investigation game where you walk around a vaporwave world full of wacky poo poo to look at while listening to vaporwave tunes and try to figure out who murdered a bunch of narcissistic sociopaths that everyone had a reason to hate.

I saw a bit of that game played on a stream recently, it was a trip.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JuffoWup posted:

You just need to click the share button under the screenshots/videos to get a link to copy.

Here it is for the curious.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
40 Hz kills GTA V performacne for some reason. Really liking the new fan curve though, most of the time the deck is like actually silent now, where it was blowing leafs before.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SEKCobra posted:

40 Hz kills GTA V performacne for some reason. Really liking the new fan curve though, most of the time the deck is like actually silent now, where it was blowing leafs before.
I’ve used the Steam Deck for the past 3 days and I’ve never heard the fan once.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dramicus posted:

Paradise Killer is fantastic. I was really sad when it ended.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

I’ve used the Steam Deck for the past 3 days and I’ve never heard the fan once.

You got lucky then.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Everyone with the deck for emulation: does it ever get hot/loud/low battery? Especially in fast forward mode or whatever?

I ask because my old Mac used to get hot if I ran pokemon at 4x speed

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I tortured myself by constantly checking the live tracking for my steamdeck today, as it was due for delivery around lunchtime. The driver got to round the corner from me and then suddenly live tracking was no longer available.

I'm hoping he just finished his shift and it'll come tomorrow instead, rather than that he decided it was worth pinching!

So close yet so far...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

jokes posted:

Everyone with the deck for emulation: does it ever get hot/loud/low battery? Especially in fast forward mode or whatever?

I ask because my old Mac used to get hot if I ran pokemon at 4x speed

What do you mean? Most emulators use only a fraction of available power, but the deck will always run a bit hot instead of always blasting the fan fill force.

There are tons of videos available of people playing emulators on the deck with indications of battery time. Think about 6 hours on battery for gb/GBA games, with the deck basically silent, and like 1.5 hours when emulating breath of the wild, deck going basically full tilt.

The deck never gets hot for the user. The grips are far away from the motherboard so you won't feel any heat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was concerned that it wouldn’t be optimized for emulators and it would cause the fans to get loud or tax the processor too much.

I don’t imagine valve is doing a lot of work on behalf of emulators, so I assume that falls on the emulator community which I don’t think has much resources. The capability of the hardware is hard to peg in relation to hardware elsewhere, like is it similar to an 8700 and a 1060 or something?

People say “it can run elden ring I’m sure it can run an emulator fine” but you’d be surprised. Also, being extremely optimized for a blockbuster AAA game doesn’t really translate to being able to play GameCube games at upscale resolutions at turbo speed or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

From what I understand the hardware isn't that whiz-bang. Steam says its equivalent to a Ryzen 3750, and digital foundry compared it at 800p to a 1050ti at 1080p.