Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

A pic (taken from a FB group so sorry if this is you) of the board from Compass Game's Russian Campaign re-issue. First thing I noticed was in the original you could hole up in front of Berlin and all the Russian could do is hammer at you and this map eliminates that strategy by ending a little bit behind Berlin.

TRC's an interesting cat, just because of the mechanics that actually make it beneficial for a defender to have neighbors but in a natural way(essentially, you must put an attack on every single hex with every enemy unit to which any friendly unit is adjacent, kind of like No Retreat but every hex has a counterblow marker on it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Panzeh posted:

TRC's an interesting cat, just because of the mechanics that actually make it beneficial for a defender to have neighbors but in a natural way(essentially, you must put an attack on every single hex with every enemy unit to which any friendly unit is adjacent, kind of like No Retreat but every hex has a counterblow marker on it).

I think it was common with Avalon Hill games at the time - I remember Fortress Europa used the same mechanic and I thought it was dumb at the time but really a time saver if you want to roll one big combat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I checked the OP first, but what's the current favorite counter corner clipper these days ?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

mllaneza posted:

I checked the OP first, but what's the current favorite counter corner clipper these days ?

Oregon Lamination Premium 2mm Radius Deluxe Corner Punch Cutter Rounder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYPSBYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DYCHC7VTRM6PCZJ2T974

That’s the one I bought. There are reports of the plastic handle breaking on people but I just don’t mash it down all the way. There is some give after it cuts a counter and when it bottoms out. I ease up before then and haven’t had any issues. I clipped all of Beyond Valor 3rd Edition and a few counter heavy GMT games with no issues at all.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I opted into the heavy duty one. You really work on the grip strength when clipping a new game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I think it was common with Avalon Hill games at the time - I remember Fortress Europa used the same mechanic and I thought it was dumb at the time but really a time saver if you want to roll one big combat.

Yeah, one of the benefits of the design is that it kinda gets rid of the incidental 'oh, i just kinda randomly have a 3-1 on this against the hex grain hex, might as well', and you end up having to search the board for them in a more conventional design. I think, yeah, there's still a lot of problems with that kind of design, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyone fancy learning OCS? I feel like going through some RE/Tunisia II if anyone is interested in playing against me and wants to learn the system.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Posting here because it might get someone who played the first one:

Anyone got any experience in the solo side of the Compass Games Enemy Action?

They have a sequel Enemy Action: Kharkov but the solo rules are 30-50 pages in length! Seems a bit much, but maybe it works?

I'm wondering how accurate the map is compared to the current battle of Kharkiv,

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Comstar posted:

Posting here because it might get someone who played the first one:

Anyone got any experience in the solo side of the Compass Games Enemy Action?

They have a sequel Enemy Action: Kharkov but the solo rules are 30-50 pages in length! Seems a bit much, but maybe it works?

I'm wondering how accurate the map is compared to the current battle of Kharkiv,

Enemy Action is one of the only true blue hex games where the solo bot, without a need for any human decision making, plays the game. There are some rules differences for each sides' solo games but ultimately, yeah, you can play one side and the other will be played. The solo rules in EAA for both German and Allied solos are full rulebooks and don't require anything else to play the solo mode.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Anyone fancy learning OCS? I feel like going through some RE/Tunisia II if anyone is interested in playing against me and wants to learn the system.

Yes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You already know how to play though!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

The map for Flying Pig Games' "A Most Fearful Sacrifice" is awe inspiring- I have that same feeling as looking at the maps for Advanced Third Reich or Siege of Jerusalem for the first time. This thing is like a Dorothy in OZ technicolor marvel if she was a dork who collected board games about war.

So, you know, here have a crappy cell phone pic of it because I had to set it up at work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Oh, wow, that's really nice.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

You already know how to play though!

Yes, but I know you're just planning on pubstomping some n00b.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If I even had time, let alone the sleep schedule to play on UK time, I’d definitely take you up on that Tekopo. As it stands, I have neither.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tekopo posted:

Yes, but I need to buy it first.

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
If someone does take Tekopo up on an OCS playthrough, consider recording it, especially if its Tunisia II. I am sure there are almost a dozen of us who would watch it. I enjoyed the EotS sessions that were done earlier in the thread.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I’ll probably stream it when it comes to it, like I did with those RE tutorials I did ages ago.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Tekopo posted:

I’ll probably stream it when it comes to it, like I did with those RE tutorials I did ages ago.

What sort of time commitment would that entail? I have a wrapped copy of Tunisia II I would love to try, but I also have a seven year old…

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The start of the campaign is pretty low in counter density, so really it's as much time commitment as you want. Starting Tunisia II and then trailing off is fine, so it probably would be at least two sessions of about 3-4 hours each.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Managed to finish clipping US Naval/Army Air, Commonwealth and other Allied Air forces next. Think I'm like 1.5 counter sheets out of 10 through now. Gotta get PacWar done though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
forearms to rival popeye’s

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

How do you remove your counters from the sprues? X-acto? Pizza cutter? Something else?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I’ve tried em all and I’ve settled on pizza cutter method. I have one I’ve put an edge on.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I just punch them out by hand. Although this can lead to issues if you aren't careful.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hypnobeard posted:

How do you remove your counters from the sprues? X-acto? Pizza cutter? Something else?

I just punch them out by hand. You can feel how much you have to bend the counters to get a clean break. I clip all the corners anyway so it’s not worth being precise. In fact, I’d argue that you spend less time just clipping them with one of the Oregon tools than trying to exacto them off sprues and the results are infinitely better too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
i've torn the paper layer of too many counters when punching by hand. the pizza cutter saves me from myself.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I use an exacto knife. But this can cause issues if you're not careful and things aren't misaligned.

I find it helps reduces the fluff I have to clear from the corners.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm thinking of starting a LP of me going through all of the Engagements for PacWar. They are apparently solo affairs so should be doable by myself. Any interest?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I'm thinking of starting a LP of me going through all of the Engagements for PacWar. They are apparently solo affairs so should be doable by myself. Any interest?

:hai:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

:justpost:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
As I've gotten older and become a dad, I've felt the desire to read military history books.

Is there a generally recommended series that covers, say, the ACW with details of the major players and engagements? And same with WW2?

I don't think I need a 10 volume set or anything, but something a bit deeper than what you learn in high school history class.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there a generally recommended series that covers, say, the ACW with details of the major players and engagements? And same with WW2?

I think for WW2 you need to get a book on a campaign or region - a single or even 4 volume book on WW2 is too a high a view. I'd start with what battle or area are you interested in. North Africa has a lot of too and fro, many different armies and characters, and still covered a huge area and 3 years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For ACW the best single-volume history is BATTLE CRY OF FREEDOM by James McPherson. Some people will say it's the best single-volume history of anything, period. Seriously, it's that good.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
For an overview of WW2, I would recommend The Second World War by Anthony Beevor. Like the name says, it covers the entire war in one book so it doesn't get into a lot of detail on anything, but Beevor is a fantastic writer and I've liked pretty much every book from him.

Edit: also, the military history thread in A/T is a good place to ask for more recommendations if you don't get enough here

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Cheers, that's exactly what I was looking for! The one volume overview of WW2 will help me even identify campaigns I'd want to learn about in more depth.

I have very vague concepts of things like North Africa and Rommel and the Desert Fox, and D-Day and the London Blitz, but almost nothing beyond very general impressions.

And my ACW knowledge is a smattering of generals and Gettysburg was 3 days long and Sherman's March.

Really appreciate the suggestions!! I've tended to read more classics like Tacitus and Thucydides, so my knowledge of modern conflicts is really lacking.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

FMguru posted:

For ACW the best single-volume history is BATTLE CRY OF FREEDOM by James McPherson. Some people will say it's the best single-volume history of anything, period. Seriously, it's that good.

Seconding this because the final chapter blew my mind- after reading about the Civil War for years his conclusion never occurred to me.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Beevors WW2 book is poopy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

A Strange Aeon posted:

And my ACW knowledge is a smattering of generals and Gettysburg was 3 days long and Sherman's March.
Stephen Sears' books on the ACW are all top-notch, if a little more focused. He has 3 on particular battles (Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Landscape Turned Red (Antietam)), as well as a book on the entirety of McClelland's Peninsula Campaign, all of which are fantastic. They give a lot of context for why each battle happened when and where it did, the politics that drove things behind the scenes, as well as the key command decisions (or lack thereof) that led to the battle unfolding the way it did. He also has a one called something like "Lincoln's Generals" that's really good biography of some of the more noteworthy (or notorious) Union commanders.