Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m also seeing way more commercials advertising Bitcoin as a normal banking thing.

The weirdest has got to be one where it was like your normal bank commercial about saving for retirement, but dropped terms like “He wants to know Stonks” and “What apes to buy” just super causally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It doesn't help that America is pathological about rags to riches stories. Everyone from billionaires to Hollywood celebrities have to peddle the myth.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

bobjr posted:

I’m also seeing way more commercials advertising Bitcoin as a normal banking thing.

The weirdest has got to be one where it was like your normal bank commercial about saving for retirement, but dropped terms like “He wants to know Stonks” and “What apes to buy” just super causally.

Gonna call up my financial advisor and ask him which stonks are going to the moon and which apes are on fleek

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

It doesn't help that America is pathological about rags to riches stories. Everyone from billionaires to Hollywood celebrities have to peddle the myth.

The myths of upward mobility, meritocracy, and that America is a classless society all come into play, too.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Cyrano4747 posted:

But that's ancient history, who gives a gently caress about that.

I know what you meant by this remark, that you were referring to the whole of your potted history of America's post-WW2 economy; but it's unfortunately placed, because you put it right after the paragraph where you discussed the effect of racism in barring black people access to economic opportunities.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hammerite posted:

I know what you meant by this remark, that you were referring to the whole of your potted history of America's post-WW2 economy; but it's unfortunately placed, because you put it right after the paragraph where you discussed the effect of racism in barring black people access to economic opportunities.

You're right, I didn't intend it that way, but honestly it works either way. No one - especially middle to upper class white Americans - wants to look at how centuries of racism prevented non-whites from enjoying the same relative success and tilted the tables WAY in the favor of white Americans.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing to keep in mind about this is that people think that can become wealthy - not rich, all-caps WEALTHY - because there are always a few examples of people who did pick the right stock, or the right coin, and were in the right place at the right time and smart enough to cash out on top.

People also delude themselves about the scale of what they're trying to achieve with the resources they have. These "lucky" stock pickers didn't make their billions from a $10,000 buy-in. We're talking about people who could "risk" a few million (or multi-million) dollar bets and one of them blew up. Meanwhile, Joe Blow is out here telling himself he can turn his thousand into a hundred thousand and then turn that into a hundred million. There are just so many bets that have to be made perfectly. At least when people were doing the online poker thing 10-15 years ago, there was pretty candid discussion about your bankroll and how to know if you're getting to an unsustainable point but now the attitude is all-in isn't enough, you gotta borrow money to get in this pot. Then suddenly there's a glitch in the system and now the pot is gone, better get some money for the next pot, it's gonna be huge! :homebrew:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I guess I can't get my head in the space where I'm willing to drop significant cash without doing some serious research. Hell, I did like 45 minutes of research just deciding which version of Elden Ring to buy.

I also can't get my head in the space where I trust the same financial reporter talking heads which missed the dotcom crash and the housing crash, even though the lead up to those was so obvious even my stupid rear end could tell something was seriously wrong.*

There's a level of, if not stupidity, credulity that strains how much sympathy I can muster.

(*I remember wondering often how all these dumb dotcom companies were going to make money, and then with the housing crash seeing all the home equity commercials and getting the same "this is obviously unsustainable" vibe I'd felt during the buildup to the dotcom crash.)

When you think you've found a free money machine that'll exponentially multiply any money you put in, you'll be able to come up with a lot more cash than you think.

The same poo poo happened in the epidemic of Ponzi schemes that sparked off the Albanian Civil War. Farmers sold their livestock and put the money into the Ponzi schemes instead. Suburbanites sold their houses and put the proceeds into the Ponzi schemes, as they figured putting that lump sum into the scheme would generate payoffs big enough to be able to rent a place and still make a big profit. People put their whole family's life savings into these schemes. When you're convinced a scheme is going to triple your money in three months, it's easy to make extremely unwise financial decisions and bring yourself to the very brink of ruin - after all, you'll be able to buy everything back and pay off all those debts in just a couple of months when you've received that big money!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Bankruptcy is temporary, the smug satisfaction of being better than is eternal.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're right, I didn't intend it that way, but honestly it works either way. No one - especially middle to upper class white Americans - wants to look at how centuries of racism prevented non-whites from enjoying the same relative success and tilted the tables WAY in the favor of white Americans.

yes but have you considered that 'code is law'... code is law. code is law. can't be racist. law. code. stay poor. apes. gone. family. gone. dip. bought. eating jiffy blueberry muffin mix straight from the box in poo poo stained boxers. code is law.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

When you think you've found a free money machine

That is where I stop, because that's obviously bullshit. It's like whole swaths of people can't internalize "if it seems too good to be true, it isn't true."

Main Paineframe posted:

When you're convinced a scheme is going to triple your money in three months

Again, that's where it should stop, and I honestly don't see a problem mocking people for not stopping. From googling the Albanian Civil War, first, holy poo poo, and second I guess I can accept some people who otherwise wouldn't have dumped their money in were convinced by the fact even some government officials were promoting Ponzi schemes, but again, holy poo poo.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

yes but have you considered that 'code is law'... code is law. code is law. can't be racist. law. code. stay poor. apes. gone. family. gone. dip. bought. eating jiffy blueberry muffin mix straight from the box in poo poo stained boxers. code is law.

Cole is slaw.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Agents are GO! posted:

Cole is slaw.

now we're talkin. throw some of that with some pulled pork on a bun. let's forget burtcoin exists

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What kind of slaw?

You think coinerz get enough greens or fiber in their diet?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PhazonLink posted:

What kind of slaw?

You think coinerz get enough greens or fiber in their diet?

I'm thinking there is a bunch of crossover with the crossfit/carnivore types and crypto bros

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Gonna call up my financial advisor and ask him which stonks are going to the moon and which apes are on fleek

Apes with drool or objects being held by their left side of the mouth are in at the moment.
Apes with hats cocked to one side are not cool.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some apes are more equal than others.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

I’ll get the poll going to reset to LUNA 3.0. We are going to get it right this time, guys, I promise!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/arpitrage/status/1530934272751808512

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The almost tragic thing about this is that there are heaps of earnest true believers who aren't out to scam others or want to take advantage of no regulation and commit fraud or whatever, but instead believe that the real world financial system is rigged and controlled by just a tiny few puppetmasters locking them into being poor, and that crypto is somehow the antidote to this. Except it's the exact same poo poo in crypto and if you're a retail "investor" you are always, always going to get hosed at one point or another and all the big money is going to get bailed out as we saw with the UST/Luna horror show.

Crypto gives a direct line to the poor to feed their money to the rich like a reverse ATM.

I now unfortunately know two people who have borrowed money from a bank to buy crypto, and one was right before the crash recently, the other during the 2017 boom and subsequent crash. Both of them share the same beliefs that they'll never be able to get out of the rent/work/rent/work never-own-anything spiral and both are probably correct in that appraisal of their future / prospects, but both barreled headfirst into crypto thinking it offered a way out.

It's not funny, it's sad.

Tons of people have gotten rich in crypto but it has always, always, always been at the expense of others. It's just bleeding the poor and desperate (and greedy) even more and funneling all of that money ever upward. Just like the real world, would you look at that.

This is a much better way of putting what I meant to say earlier. Agree.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What a great idea.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about Western culture and economics is training people to fall for scams, snake oil, and get-rich-quick schemes.

That's literally every culture.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
guys I think crypto is a scam. shocking, i know.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

guys I think crypto is a scam. shocking, i know.

You think that makes it okay to make fun of those people who don't recognize this very obvious fact?! It does.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This basically describes the accredited investor process, we would just need to start sticking to it.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

zedprime posted:

This basically describes the accredited investor process, we would just need to start sticking to it.

What could go wrong

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Lenins Potato posted:

What could go wrong

worked just as intended, regular people's exposure was limited, unlike with buttcoins

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Vesi posted:

worked just as intended, regular people's exposure was limited, unlike with buttcoins

You know most firms just use the honor system when you say you're an accredited investor, right? As long as you sign the affidavit, that's all they care about. Hence the need to actually stick to the accredited investor rules.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Matt Levine is a national treasure, and I highly recommend his newsletter. He’s knowledgeable and also a good writer, which is a rare combination in the finance field.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Agents are GO! posted:

That is where I stop, because that's obviously bullshit. It's like whole swaths of people can't internalize "if it seems too good to be true, it isn't true."

Again, that's where it should stop, and I honestly don't see a problem mocking people for not stopping. From googling the Albanian Civil War, first, holy poo poo, and second I guess I can accept some people who otherwise wouldn't have dumped their money in were convinced by the fact even some government officials were promoting Ponzi schemes, but again, holy poo poo.

Cole is slaw.

i think a lot of it comes from something touched on earlier, humans are social creatures. consider the asch conformity experiments. when placed in a situation where the group consensus clashed with objective reality, a significant number of participants went with the consensus. add to it the very real psychological pressure of fomo, and it can become very hard to sit things out. i hate to judge on things like this because the human brain is such a kludge job of heuristics and processing shortcuts that i'm not confident enough to say i will always avoid irrational behavior. and i can believe that there are people who were already in a bad spot putting in money they can't afford to lose and devastating lives.

however, this devastation is happening in the form of "slurp juice", so i think we can split the difference and call it tragi-comic

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

however, this devastation is happening in the form of "slurp juice", so i think we can split the difference and call it tragi-comic

It's like watching a video where someone falls down spectacularly: you laugh at it but also wince and go "oohh, I hope that guy's okay"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has economics been a required high school course in the US in recent memory? I was in an International Baccalaureate high school so didn't get the standard American education, but I strongly suspect that economics was one of the many things cut as they strangled education budgets and more recently got into a STEMlordy fapfest.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has economics been a required high school course in the US in recent memory? I was in an International Baccalaureate high school so didn't get the standard American education, but I strongly suspect that economics was one of the many things cut as they strangled education budgets and more recently got into a STEMlordy fapfest.

I don't remember economics even being part of the IB program I was in, 20 years ago. If we wanted it, I think we had to take it from the AP curriculum. For kids on the regular track, I do believe it was rolled into a general civics and government course.

Similar situation with statistics. The kids who took statistics generally weren't on the honors/direct-to-university track, and the kids who were took calculus. Bare-minimum coverage of statistics was shoehorned into the science classes. A good knowledge of statistics would probably help a lot of the people getting suckered right now much more than derivatives and integrals.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

istewart posted:

I don't remember economics even being part of the IB program I was in, 20 years ago. If we wanted it, I think we had to take it from the AP curriculum. For kids on the regular track, I do believe it was rolled into a general civics and government course.

Similar situation with statistics. The kids who took statistics generally weren't on the honors/direct-to-university track, and the kids who were took calculus. Bare-minimum coverage of statistics was shoehorned into the science classes. A good knowledge of statistics would probably help a lot of the people getting suckered right now much more than derivatives and integrals.

I was in high school in the mid to late 1980s, so it's possible the curriculum was different or that my memory is inaccurate. It was also right around the time that neoliberal economics really took off so the landscape was a little different.

You're right that having a grounding in statistics would be helpful for people to have - it's one of those things I kind of take for granted that I should realize is not actually common knowledge.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Stalizard posted:

Found a fun one on the local news:
Home sellers say they got a raw deal from the "godfather of real estate's" crypto option

I'm not gonna paste the whole thing because I'm on a phone but here are some key excerpts:

Joe Cebalos thought he knew what he was getting into. He thought he was getting in on the ground floor of a growing cryptocurrency called Troptions during a real estate deal.

“I was like, ‘Oh, he’s giving away free money,’” Cebalos said.

But another homeowner, who asked not to be identified, said she had no idea what a Troption was, until looking over the final sale agreement for her metro Atlanta home.

“There was a significant amount of money that was placed into a Troptions account,” the homeowner said.

Troptions are a cryptocurrency. About 30% of the payment for both homes was going to be paid in Troptions, not U.S. dollars.

--

“Nobody told me how to get the Troptions out of the account and translate it into cash,” the homeowner said.

That’s because you can’t.

According to the Secret Service, which is charged with protecting the country’s financial infrastructure, the main red flag with Troptions is that, unlike Bitcoin, you can’t cash out.

Troptions can’t be turned into U.S. dollars or any other currency.

“If the major exchanges aren’t going to trade it, you have to find someone on a peer-to-peer level to offload it,” Espinosa said.

That’s why after watching the paper value of his Troptions skyrocket to more than $1 million, Cebalos came to the realization that they were actually worth nothing.

--

“If I offered you Troptions for this house, would you make a deal involving Troptions being the purchaser?” Gray (reporter) asked Cherwenka(scammer).

“I have Troptions, so I’m not interested in selling the house,” Cherwenka said.

“You don’t want more? If it’s so great, wouldn’t you want more?” Gray asked.

“I have plenty of Troptions, don’t bait with these questions,” Cherwenka said.

About an hour after the interview, Cherwenka texted Gray to say he wanted to correct that, saying he would sell Gray his house if Gray paid in Troptions.

But that is a deal that experts like the Missouri secretary of state and the U.S. Secret Service would warn Gray against taking.

Cherwenka also emailed Gray a few days after the interview to say that if and when Troptions are traded on exchanges, buyers can cash out their investments.

You left out the part of the quote where one of the guys calls it a shitcoin

https://twitter.com/troptions2017

Everything about the branding of it seems reminiscent of Trump

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Having economics and statistics courses in highschool wouldn't help because the kind of people who don't know that from other sources wouldn't pay attention to the lessons anyway and would forget it all a week later

I've been in far too many conversations with people going "why were we never taught that in school?" where I can reply "we were in the SAME CLASS and we WERE taught that, but you were too busy drawing the cool S"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Plus, a constant theme of things like the tech bubble is that as soon as you introduce a poorly understood variable, at least to the layman, people suddenly become ludicrously credulous about it. Basically 'tech' and now 'digital' has become what radiation was in the 50s; that is, literally magic, and people will believe literally anything about it if you use the right buzzword salad.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plus, a constant theme of things like the tech bubble is that as soon as you introduce a poorly understood variable, at least to the layman, people suddenly become ludicrously credulous about it. Basically 'tech' and now 'digital' has become what radiation was in the 50s; that is, literally magic, and people will believe literally anything about it if you use the right buzzword salad.

Was just going to post words to this effect.

Also as a tag on the statistics/economics curriculum, except for hopeless ignoramuses, you also end up with people who confuse these disciplines with politics. These are tools to inform policy, not BE policy.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

"Oh, he's giving away free money" what the gently caress

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

CountryMatters posted:

Having economics and statistics courses in highschool wouldn't help because the kind of people who don't know that from other sources wouldn't pay attention to the lessons anyway and would forget it all a week later

I've been in far too many conversations with people going "why were we never taught that in school?" where I can reply "we were in the SAME CLASS and we WERE taught that, but you were too busy drawing the cool S"

yeah but that S looks real cool... drat... thinking about drawing it right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011

tpink posted:

Matt Levine is a national treasure, and I highly recommend his newsletter. He’s knowledgeable and also a good writer, which is a rare combination in the finance field.

This. Most people who write entertaining words about finance either worked in sales (where most of the charming people end up tbf) and never had to learn how the sausage was made, or dropped out of the industry before they got to the stage of learning that. 99% of the ones who actually understand how it works are dull as all hell. Matt Levine can somehow make me chuckle while quoting SEC regulations, which seems like it violates at least a few laws of nature.