Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, there's some real cartel barbarianism that I just can't abide no matter how many times they say "familia es todo." Shows tug on my heartstrings pretty easily and I can sort of feel they're setting up Lalo for some sympathy but it doesn't take much to snap back to reality about how monstrous they all are.

Actually the shows do a pretty good job of showing how people are way more nuanced than that but it's easy to forget in moments of TV watching that, for example, Hector murdered Max for no reason at all and doesn't deserve a redeeming victory over Gus one bit.

I’m gonna be honest I’ve never felt like I was meant to sympathize or feel bad for the Salamancas at any point.

I dunno, maybe Joaquin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tuco is funny but absolutely not sympathetic, Lalo is charismatic as hell but absolutely not sympathetic, Hector is a straight up repulsive piece of poo poo

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
None of the Cartel dudes are meant to be sympathetic, besides Nacho. They're the worst people in both shows, especially the Salamancas.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They also told us that we weren't getting a big mid-season cliffhanger.

They said it wasn't intentionally shot as a mid season cliffhanger, not that it wasn't one anyway. So yeah those 'concern is warranted' comments are literally meaningless, because of course concern is warranted she's standing in the same room with a murderous cartel boss.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lalo gets some moments, like looking mournfully at his tio living a horrible nursing home life as he has to flee the country, or watching the bodies of his cook and gardener piled around the carnage left by the best hitmen available. There was also a flashback in Breaking Bad of the terminator twins' childhood where they were normal kids and they turned out the way they did because Hector was just psychotically abusive. Plus Gus' whole history with the Salamancas.

There's definitely individual scenes that are meant to elicit sympathy, even if they're not sympathetic characters on the whole. Which is something you get in any decent piece of writing, because it informs the audience why the bad guys do the poo poo they do, and makes them characters rather than just plot obstacles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

christmas boots posted:

I’m gonna be honest I’ve never felt like I was meant to sympathize or feel bad for the Salamancas at any point.

I dunno, maybe Joaquin

You kinda feel bad in the way that like. Maybe if someone had been cool enough to kill hector a few decades before Nacho gave it a go, maybe the twins wouldn't be so hosed up at least? Probably still pretty hosed up since it sounds like Hector isn't the only crime guy in the family by far. But maybe that one flashback where he half drowns one of them wouldn't have happened.

Basically someone should have killed hector a long time ago.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I always assumed it was sort of the opposite and that real cartel stuff is much more "business" and uninteresting 90% of the time.

Depends on the mafia/cartel; italian mafia and yakuza are somewhat businesslike, whereas the russian mafia and the mexican cartels are brutal in the way vlad tepes was

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

"I made an analysis to determine the most probable outcome that will happen to Kim and Lalo"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Kim killing Lalo is not an option I had even considered, but hell, that'd be the twist.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It does explain why she'd have to use the vacuum man

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The cartels irl are beyond anything. I've seen a small amount of a video of them torturing this person who was hooked up to some saline solution just to stop him bleeding out. He was also hooked up to something that stopped him passing out. They were flaying the skin off his face with barbed whips.

I only watched like three seconds of it before realizing what it is and recoiling in horror, but it's just another day at the office for those people.

Few years ago it was all over the bbc news that they kidnapped some teacher who had a stoma, and the recovered body post-mortem showed they did all sorts of things to the stoma in particular while she was still alive. Beyond horrific

The cartel in bb/bcs are teletubbies by comparison

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus loving christ.

:nms: (cartel violence against children)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

christmas boots posted:

It does explain why she'd have to use the vacuum man
That probably makes the most sense given that Saul is intimately familiar with his services by Breaking Bad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just envisioning Gus sitting patiently in his basement trap waiting anxiously for the big showdown, but after an unbearable while, Mike ends up showing up instead. After a brief [dialogue inaudible] we tune in to hear him ask the pertinent question: "who the gently caress is Kim Wexler?"

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Kim killing Lalo is not an option I had even considered, but hell, that'd be the twist.

Well, someone has to die with that spikey bottle cap embedded in their jugular, and Lalo is the prime candidate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That probably makes the most sense given that Saul is intimately familiar with his services by Breaking Bad.

I wouldn't say 'intimately familiar', rather than just 'is aware'. He's even surprised when he ends up using him, that he's an actual vacuum sales and repair guy. He previously had no idea.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

My theory is that Kim tries to use his services, then decides to pull some con instead, then it fails and she wants to disappear again. This is how Saul knows you only get one chance with the guy and doesn't know about the store. She ends up dead or in jail.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nuebot posted:

Basically someone should have killed hector a long time ago.

Maybe the worst thing Gus did was stay Michael's hand.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The cartels post videos of some of the stuff they do and just them being described gave me nightmares. Worse than ISIS poo poo in some cases.

Even back in the cocaine heyday of the 80s when it wasn't anywhere near as bad as how the Mexican cartels are now you had Griselda Blanco doing poo poo like that makes Gus and them look like softies.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 30, 2022

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

The cartels post videos of some of the stuff they do and just them being described gave me nightmares. Worse than ISIS poo poo in some cases.

Even back in the cocaine heyday of the 80s when it wasn't anywhere near as bad as how the Mexican cartels are now you had Griselda Blanco doing poo poo like that makes Gus and them look like softies.

Another in a series of monsters named White

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I always assumed it was sort of the opposite and that real cartel stuff is much more "business" and uninteresting 90% of the time.

nah i got shown a cartel video of some woman with her face peeled off once

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

real cartels don’t import professional engineering contractors from germany to work on their secret projects then go home, they just kidnap whatever workers they need then kill them when the job’s done

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Really looking forward to tonight's new Better Call Sa--oh right :smith:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Yeah the cartel in both BB and BCS is just an analog for both corporate America and elements of pre 1970s organized crime. In real life there's no way that the DEA or even the local Albuquerque cops would be completely unaware of what Gus was doing.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

CPFortest posted:

Yeah the cartel in both BB and BCS is just an analog for both corporate America and elements of pre 1970s organized crime. In real life there's no way that the DEA or even the local Albuquerque cops would be completely unaware of what Gus was doing.

in real life they’d be helping Gus and hank would be insanely racist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gus is the biggest meth producer and pusher in the US, he's ruined countless more lives than the salamancas and is portrayed somewhat sympathetically

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
lol I just remembered that time Anonymous tried to declare war on a cartel and then was immediately backed off by their response of "we have enough money to hire our own hackers to find you and kill your families"

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

skipmyseashells posted:

hank is already racist did you watch the show

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

skipmyseashells posted:

There's no way that Walt and Jesse could stay under the radar so well and would've probably been turned into DEA assets from the jump to keep an eye on Gus and the cartel. Also despite Hank being related to Walt through marriage, in reality his career wouldnt have been hosed over by Walt becoming a meth cook.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Really looking forward to tonight's new Better Call Sa--oh right :smith:

Now instead I have to live-watch the finale of We Own This City and get mad at how evil cops are before I try to go to sleep

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

hbag posted:

hank is already racist did you watch the show

that’s just normal American racism, cop racism is another league

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

stromboni posted:

lol I just remembered that time Anonymous tried to declare war on a cartel and then was immediately backed off by their response of "we have enough money to hire our own hackers to find you and kill your families"

Is there an article about this somewhere?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

aren't you glad they didn't release all at once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes i know it's because of bob's health problems im just making fun of the people saying binge watching is the death of watching poo poo

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is there an article about this somewhere?

https://www.marketplace.org/2011/11/04/anonymous-hackers-declare-war-mexican-drug-cartel/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...1SzmM_blog.html

please note that both articles were posted on the same day - November 4, 2011. operation didn't even last a day-night cycle

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

i say swears online posted:

gus is the biggest meth producer and pusher in the US, he's ruined countless more lives than the salamancas and is portrayed somewhat sympathetically

I don't remember any scene where Gus was portrayed in a way that was meant to be sympathetic. He's always been shown to be a monster - just bubbling under the surface of the world's most delightful chicken man.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

every loving scene in los pollos makes me hungry

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

every scene in los pollos makes me wish mr. fring had been my meth-distributing fast food manager

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

hbag posted:

every loving scene in los pollos makes me hungry

ironically, meth'll cure you of that

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

stev posted:

I don't remember any scene where Gus was portrayed in a way that was meant to be sympathetic. He's always been shown to be a monster - just bubbling under the surface of the world's most delightful chicken man.

I would say the flashback where max is killed is meant to make him sympathetic if only just enough to make you root for him wiping out the cartel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Whenever Gus is in Mexico, he's a good guy. Whenever he's in the United States, he's a monster