Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

It was cute until they did the attack helicopter joke.

What are you on about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You wouldn't upload an attack helicopter.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Am I missing something or is "upload your gender, max 10MB" not just the same joke right from the start, i.e. kids these days and their genders

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Am I missing something or is "upload your gender, max 10MB" not just the same joke right from the start, i.e. kids these days and their genders

I've encountered similar things in real life and it's almost always just a genuine case of someone loving up their option select coding and that option is meant to go somewhere else so I wouldn't be shocked if that was just genuinely someone posting a funny fuckup at first that got memed.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

That's not a joke. That's some poor code slave who hosed up and reused the code from the "Upload a photo" page on the "What's your gender" page.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

mods name change please, Lord Doomcock

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Sunshine posted:

That's not a joke. That's some poor code slave who hosed up and reused the code from the "Upload a photo" page on the "What's your gender" page.

Then again, why not? Why does gender have to be restricted to a drop down field or text entry? If your chosen gender can only be represented in a jpg, that seems ... fine?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

It's not quite the same joke -- the point being made by the attack helicopter joke isn't so much "kids these days and their genders" as the more odious "it doesn't matter what gender you identify as if it's not what you really are".

There are a bunch of queer spaces which have embraced memes like "upload your gender, max 10MB" or "I identify as a problem" to make a point along the line of "actually yeah, gender is complicated and can't be summed up in a simple yes/no field, and I am going to take pride in its complexity and refuse to make it fit into any of the boxes that society demands of me".

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/1ztyGvP.mp4

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stoatbringer posted:

mods name change please, Lord Doomcock

You, uh, don't want to use the name Doomcock.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh that clown. I forgot about him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's a Doomcock

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Whybird posted:

It's not quite the same joke -- the point being made by the attack helicopter joke isn't so much "kids these days and their genders" as the more odious "it doesn't matter what gender you identify as if it's not what you really are".

There are a bunch of queer spaces which have embraced memes like "upload your gender, max 10MB" or "I identify as a problem" to make a point along the line of "actually yeah, gender is complicated and can't be summed up in a simple yes/no field, and I am going to take pride in its complexity and refuse to make it fit into any of the boxes that society demands of me".

In that same vein, I quite like this one;

Infinitum posted:

What's a Doomcock

A wretchedly terrible person who wears a giant urinal for a mask and reviews things online.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Then again, why not? Why does gender have to be restricted to a drop down field or text entry? If your chosen gender can only be represented in a jpg, that seems ... fine?

Can't direct ads to someone based on a jpg (with the resources this company has). Any time a company wants to know what's in your pants the reason is always advertising.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I bought a charcoal face mask like this from a Black dude. He specifically told me "don't take photos/videos of you wearing this for social media" and, y'know, that's solid advice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whybird posted:

The word "queer" itself has basically undergone the same process.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
dialhforhero claims to be a porpoise.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gender fields aren't particularly useful online

Adjective fields, though? Super useful.

Lazy,

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Replace the dropdown with a 2d color picker, one axis can be masc/fem and the other can be sexual/ace. Add whatever other dimensions make sense

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I bought a charcoal face mask like this from a Black dude. He specifically told me "don't take photos/videos of you wearing this for social media" and, y'know, that's solid advice.

"Mammy,
My little mammy,
My heartstrings are tangled around Alabammy.
I'm comin',
Sorry that I made you wait.
I'm comin',
Hope and trust that I'm not late, oh oh oh
Mammy"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like this has to be that Skweezy Jibs guy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, IIRC.

Also gender fields imply the existence of gender field equations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A wretchedly terrible person who wears a giant urinal for a mask and reviews things online.

I like most of skweezy’s queer and gender jokes, they tend to be pretty kind hearted

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I like most of skweezy’s queer and gender jokes, they tend to be pretty kind hearted

Yeah, it's a shame what he did to an emu that one time, though.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Allegedly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Holy gently caress looool

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

OwlFancier posted:

It is, IIRC.

Also gender fields imply the existence of gender field equations.

I wouldn't claim the label queer but one nonreal coefficient of my gender quaternion is nonzero for sure

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The other thing about the attack helicopter joke is that if it were non-binary people making it, it would be fine. The first time I heard it I thought it was funny because I didn't realize it was being used spitefully. Like, your gender is powerful, dangerous, loud, and can fly? Right on.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

How does this person sound so much like Melissa Mccarthy.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/standardspeeds/status/1530716440734707713?s=20&t=87DP4xBtOftN2rpoVM149Q

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cool Dad posted:

Like, your gender is powerful, dangerous, loud, and can fly? Right on.

No, it means they need constant handling and super vision otherwise they break down and can't do anything.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, it means they need constant handling and super vision otherwise they break down and can't do anything.

So straight men

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're giving right wingers far too much credit if you think they came up with more than one joke, especially one with any kind of depth or nuance.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bug Squash posted:

Can't direct ads to someone based on a jpg (with the resources this company has). Any time a company wants to know what's in your pants the reason is always advertising.

My gender is gofuckyourself, for this and similar reasons.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.