Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

well my created player is 8 for 14 with two doubles and three home runs over his first four games. this compared to team OPS of 945 mostly on All Star.

I am tentatively excited. although people are going the start pitching around him pretty soon.

yeah I'm enjoying my CAP, he has 85 contact/125 power with 99 speed and 90 stealing so he's like a little catcher version of Acuna. His fielding is only like 70 but arm strength is 99 so I can still throw people out reasonably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Jesus the programs are coming fast and furious.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Grem posted:

Jesus the programs are coming fast and furious.

I did a few big dog moments and such but back to Moonshot tonight. My Dunn crushing homers got me a good chunk of PxP progress on his own.

Also I don't get it. I'm a .600 Events player but I'm running 80% in this one. Do a ton of fish jump in because it's the fun event?

E: Or alternatively, did the sharks all go back to BR because they shot down the value of Event cards?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I took about a week off and now I just need about...90,000 XP per day to complete the Spring Clean Up program before it ends.

Ah well, at least most of the later content is just packs and nothing exclusive. I don't even think this is possible without a lot of bonus XP falling my way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I play about two to three hours a night, and I'm not even at all the Big Dog packs for the Spring Cleaning event yet. I do all the Daily Moments, every conquest, and 100% battle Royale with some other multiplayer thrown in.

Showdowns and their constant "Get a home run in three innings with your completely un-upgraded team!" can kiss me rear end.

Now that I finished all the conquests, what's the best way to grind my cards against the computer that's also productive? I don't know if I've even been completely out of useful conquests to work on.

Edit - I also hosed myself on the April Monthly program. I selected all the pitchers first, thinking they'd be easiest to grind out their 500XP for points. I only got one batter.

Now I'm stuck at "Get 2500xp with Monthly Batters" and have nothing else available. It's going to take a month at this rate.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Mini seasons are decent for grinding

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Captain Log posted:

I play about two to three hours a night, and I'm not even at all the Big Dog packs for the Spring Cleaning event yet. I do all the Daily Moments, every conquest, and 100% battle Royale with some other multiplayer thrown in.

Showdowns and their constant "Get a home run in three innings with your completely un-upgraded team!" can kiss me rear end.

Now that I finished all the conquests, what's the best way to grind my cards against the computer that's also productive? I don't know if I've even been completely out of useful conquests to work on.

Edit - I also hosed myself on the April Monthly program. I selected all the pitchers first, thinking they'd be easiest to grind out their 500XP for points. I only got one batter.

Now I'm stuck at "Get 2500xp with Monthly Batters" and have nothing else available. It's going to take a month at this rate.

Mini Seasons is the most lucrative offline mode, but grinding the Mystery Conquest is slightly better for PxP because you can run the same pitchers over and over and face easier pitching from the other team and also bat three times.

For Monthly players, you could buy them up from the store and sell them back once you finish up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My kids and I have just been hitting dingers in RttS on beginner. I guess we've gotten some xp and some packs. Is it possible to turn those into xbox $? Caveat: I know next to nothing about irl mlb players

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

MJBuddy posted:

Mini Seasons is the most lucrative offline mode, but grinding the Mystery Conquest is slightly better for PxP because you can run the same pitchers over and over and face easier pitching from the other team and also bat three times.

For Monthly players, you could buy them up from the store and sell them back once you finish up.

I'd argue that mini seasons is also the best for (hitter) PxP because you can set your home stadium to those cheese ones that have 300ft distance walls in a stadium with an altitude of 5700 feet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ihatepants posted:

I'd argue that mini seasons is also the best for (hitter) PxP because you can set your home stadium to those cheese ones that have 300ft distance walls in a stadium with an altitude of 5700 feet.

I'm trying to get into Mini Seasons, but it's weird for two reasons -

- Managing pitcher energy is a pain in the rear end
- Line Ups appears glitched to all hell. I'll start a game and get a Randy Johnson Pitcher followed by a field of all Luis Roberts and poo poo. Then it keeps swapping around.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Captain Log posted:

I'm trying to get into Mini Seasons, but it's weird for two reasons -

- Managing pitcher energy is a pain in the rear end
- Line Ups appears glitched to all hell. I'll start a game and get a Randy Johnson Pitcher followed by a field of all Luis Roberts and poo poo. Then it keeps swapping around.

Once they fixed pitcher energy, you basically get 2 innings out of your starter, should you want it. The lineup glitch is just that, a visual glitch. Since they're based on real rosters, you gotta understand that some people have (for example) Tony Gwynn starting at catcher and hitting lead off and to not deal with the catcher batting, and then when that team is on defense, the CPU autoswitches in a catcher.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ihatepants posted:

Look I lost in the playoffs once because an all god squad team popped up homers on me so I avoid that like the plague now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I actually don't know how to finish the April Monthly without buying other hitters since I did the math and my two guys won't even give me enough stars to get a third in stage 2 if I get all their xp and the hitter mission

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I actually don't know how to finish the April Monthly without buying other hitters since I did the math and my two guys won't even give me enough stars to get a third in stage 2 if I get all their xp and the hitter mission

to complete it without buying anyone you have to do everything, all the moments, missions, showdown and the "collect 5 april" collection in the program. If you're short you're missing something (probably the collection)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I don't spend money of stubs. Never have, never will. I still managed to complete the Live series in 21 and all the other collections.

But that means some cards are out of reach for me. I never had any of the fancy Trouts in 21 and some other cards were always out of reach.

Yesterday, I opened some common packs I earned.

And I got loving Acuna.

:stare:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I love this loving game, I hate this loving game

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Moe_Rahn posted:

I love this loving game, I hate this loving game

Can’t get your hopes up on a Trout pull if you know what color lights you get on a diamond pull corresponds to which rating.

85-89 purple
90-94 blue
95-98 red
99 gold

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I still cannot believe I pulled Live Series Acuna.

For a No Money Spent Player like myself, getting the second most expensive card in the game was wild. I'm trying to finish the live series cards, but the teams I've got left all have cards in the 60 to MIKE loving TROUT range of expensive.

Most of the Live Series cards seem like junk compared to the other stuff I've got from quests and poo poo. But Acuna is loving rad.

I've also moved past starting the FOTF cards, with one exception. I rake with Bellinger, and keep him on first base.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Lol the Aaron Judge I pulled when he was like an 87 was just upgraded to 94

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I miss sports games and have a PS5. Enjoying the hell out of free FIFA made me want more. Should I buy this? I have fond memories of The Show being the first game I got when I bought a PS3 back in the day. Any thoughts on the other EA games and all? Madden, NHL, NBA? Fwiw back around when I stopped playing sports games in 2011ish I still enjoyed most of them and didn’t have complaints like a lot of people did. Plus I assume coming back into them now is going to blow my mind. All I care about is singleplayer stuff like exhibition games + franchise really. Though it seems like this one has an actually good sort of ultimate team or whatever mode too? I would probably get into RTTS too because I love that sort of thing nowadays.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I miss sports games and have a PS5. Enjoying the hell out of free FIFA made me want more. Should I buy this? I have fond memories of The Show being the first game I got when I bought a PS3 back in the day. Any thoughts on the other EA games and all? Madden, NHL, NBA? Fwiw back around when I stopped playing sports games in 2011ish I still enjoyed most of them and didn’t have complaints like a lot of people did. Plus I assume coming back into them now is going to blow my mind. All I care about is singleplayer stuff like exhibition games + franchise really. Though it seems like this one has an actually good sort of ultimate team or whatever mode too? I would probably get into RTTS too because I love that sort of thing nowadays.

Yeah. I mean if you just want the single player stuff you can go for 21 over 22 and probably save money. The Show is a good game, and I do like the online mode which has just a ton of content and enjoyable power climb without needing to spend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nice! Thanks. 22 is on sale for $50 and I’m a sucker for the dualsense features and updated rosters so I’d probably just go with that one.
Tons of content + power climb + not feeling like I need to go all in on micro transactions does sound nice.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 27, 2022

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice! Thanks. 22 is on sale for $50 and I’m a sucker for the dualsense features and updated rosters so I’d probably just go with that one.
Tons of content + power climb + not feeling like I need to go all in on micro transactions does sound nice.

There's so much crap in the online mode right now that you'd have about two months of grinding ahead of you to complete it. But also, you could have an all diamond team in less than a week.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Awesome, sounds great! I just went ahead and bought it. Installing while I do dishes and then gonna jump into the first time I've played The Show in over 10 years :D I'm excited, all the modes actually sound real fun to me as a 99% single player person. I haven't really been interested in the card collecting aspect of most sports games but it's because they're all so greedy or seemingly focused on playing other people with infinitely better teams. Diamond Dynasty from what I understand seems like exactly what I want from that sort of mode, especially on the sp end.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 28, 2022

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Awesome, sounds great! I just went ahead and bought it. Installing while I do dishes and then gonna jump into the first time I've played The Show in over 10 years :D I'm excited, all the modes actually sound real fun to me as a 99% single player person. I haven't really been interested in the card collecting aspect of most sports games but it's because they're all so greedy or seemingly focused on playing other people with infinitely better teams. Diamond Dynasty from what I understand seems like exactly what I want from that sort of mode, especially on the sp end.

You absolutely never have to play against anyone else. Last year the most PvP I engaged with was market flipping.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
But you can always try it! You'd be surprised how good you are! (I need people to beat to get me out of Pennant Race!)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I might have to!

I'm digging this a lot so far. Baseball really does lend itself to games well, not all that much out of your hands since the pitcher vs batter duel is central to the sport. I made a Diamond Dynasty team today and started to dig into that. It's overwhelming but I'm really liking it. The classic moments and whatnot are really cool, I like the detail of the dated looking presentation. I really, really have to get better at batting though. I want to swing on everything and breaking balls looks like fastballs every time and then I'm swinging on something that hits the dirt. It's a good thing I love working on my rhythm/hand eye coordination and all that at least. It's satisfying in this game.

Some random questions/thoughts:

I stuck it on Veteran difficult. I don't mind having an uphill climb in difficulty. Should I give dynamic difficulty a try? Knock it down one?

There are tons of batting and pitching control options. I settled on the pitching that, uh, works like Skate. It's awesome if tricky in a fun way. Should I stick with that? The meter mode also seemed nice but there's something satisfying about having to do the movement + time it all up right.

Batting I put on zone mode. Feels right to me. I'm poo poo at hitting but I'm trying to hold back on first pitches more and just try to follow the balls with the left stick to get into a better batting mindset.

Starting a RTTS batter tomorrow so I can check that mode out and also work on my hitting more. Anything I should know before I jump in? I tried it back in the 00s but didn't play it much. I'm way more into that sort of baseball RPG sort of thing nowadays though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I might have to!

I'm digging this a lot so far. Baseball really does lend itself to games well, not all that much out of your hands since the pitcher vs batter duel is central to the sport. I made a Diamond Dynasty team today and started to dig into that. It's overwhelming but I'm really liking it. The classic moments and whatnot are really cool, I like the detail of the dated looking presentation. I really, really have to get better at batting though. I want to swing on everything and breaking balls looks like fastballs every time and then I'm swinging on something that hits the dirt. It's a good thing I love working on my rhythm/hand eye coordination and all that at least. It's satisfying in this game.

Some random questions/thoughts:

I stuck it on Veteran difficult. I don't mind having an uphill climb in difficulty. Should I give dynamic difficulty a try? Knock it down one?

There are tons of batting and pitching control options. I settled on the pitching that, uh, works like Skate. It's awesome if tricky in a fun way. Should I stick with that? The meter mode also seemed nice but there's something satisfying about having to do the movement + time it all up right.

Batting I put on zone mode. Feels right to me. I'm poo poo at hitting but I'm trying to hold back on first pitches more and just try to follow the balls with the left stick to get into a better batting mindset.

Starting a RTTS batter tomorrow so I can check that mode out and also work on my hitting more. Anything I should know before I jump in? I tried it back in the 00s but didn't play it much. I'm way more into that sort of baseball RPG sort of thing nowadays though.

You're doing everything right, zone is the one you want, along with pinpoint pitching which is the one where you have to do the motions and poo poo

I would say just stick on veteran honestly and just get better, it's pretty reasonable. I'm practicing on legend now and just sort of slowing down to play online, I think challenging yourself to do something that's just slightly too hard all the time is probably the best way to do it.

You could do rookie for a bit but I'd move to veteran as soon as you can

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 30, 2022

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

If you want to really get better and have the highest skill ceiling:

Set view to Strike Zone 2 for pitcher/Batter.
Zone batting
Pinpoint pitching

If you're trying to build your DD team I'd do all the moments in the main program, then the Jackie Robinson moment and then do the April and May programs to start. Best returns for effort.

That'll give you the baseline to do whatever else you want. It would be nice to grind up through and get all the Roy cards this month before the end of the week but don't stress yourself just starting out. At some point you should also do the USA Conquest but it's a grind.

E: but like seriously if all that poo poo looks obtuse or something you can literally just play March to October and make great progress on the main program. I'm a bit of a min/maxer but I tried everything last year and I'd recommend doing the same to see what you dig.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

If you want to really get better and have the highest skill ceiling:

Set view to Strike Zone 2 for pitcher/Batter.
Zone batting
Pinpoint pitching

If you're trying to build your DD team I'd do all the moments in the main program, then the Jackie Robinson moment and then do the April and May programs to start. Best returns for effort.

That'll give you the baseline to do whatever else you want. It would be nice to grind up through and get all the Roy cards this month before the end of the week but don't stress yourself just starting out. At some point you should also do the USA Conquest but it's a grind.

I would tell someone new to do Strike Zone since that's what 90% of the top players use. Strike zone 2 isn't a bad choice but unless he prefers it it's not the default one I would tell people. If he does prefer it it's fine though, I just think like you probably want to try the one most people like as your first try to find a camera.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

I would tell someone new to do Strike Zone since that's what 90% of the top players use. Strike zone 2 isn't a bad choice but unless he prefers it it's not the default one I would tell people. If he does prefer it it's fine though, I just think like you probably want to try the one most people like as your first try to find a camera.

See I thought everyone else also used Strike Zone 2

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

See I thought everyone else also used Strike Zone 2

I've watched most all of the hitting tips that any top player has put out because I keep thinking they'll make me better, haha

So anyway out of that sample I think it's at most 1/4 use strike zone 2 or strike zone high

But if you prefer those it's fine, I used strike zone high for awhile when I started

If you want to see some neat strategy stuff, this guy is by far the best/smartest MLB youtuber and he has a series where he talks through what he's thinking on every pitch and all his managerial decisions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgMhvkHxQI

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

But CBrev used Strike Zone 2!!!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
gently caress !!

But I think guys like pitching rebel, yourfriendkyle, those dudes all use strike zone

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I watch The Show on Youtube, it's only for the guys who can make me laugh.

Pulled a Gary Sheffield 95 today. But I solely use outfielders with really good speed, unfortunately. So he is going to live on the bench.

It's a shame the 2nd Half Hero Ketel Marte I got has only 65 speed. I'm always getting him thrown out, thanks to having my brain wired to a default 78 or better speed for anyone not a catcher.

Oh, beat the Battle Royale through 100 at least. Hooray, fancy Joe Morgan card!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I loved the Marte LS when it could play. I hear that boosted one is very good?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

MJBuddy posted:

I loved the Marte LS when it could play. I hear that boosted one is very good?

I'm on the fence about the fancy Marte I pulled that everyone and their granddad seems to be using, if they have it.

Switch hitting with insane contact and vision? Hell yeah. But 79 power (without parallels) and 65 speed? That hampers my enthusiasm for the card. Not sure if I should be playing him or not.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I'm on the fence about the fancy Marte I pulled that everyone and their granddad seems to be using, if they have it.

Switch hitting with insane contact and vision? Hell yeah. But 79 power (without parallels) and 65 speed? That hampers my enthusiasm for the card. Not sure if I should be playing him or not.

I think 65 speed is enough to get consistent doubles, leg out slow grounders, and tag up to score from third.

I run far too many 23 speed players who just crush everything though. Nelson Cruz is insane and I can't bench him, but Dunn, Harper, and Soto are similar and are bench bats with the same profile.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hope nobody wants to get George Brett anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Hope nobody wants to get George Brett anytime soon

I bought a bunch of legends and flashback cards with the 400k or so I had squared away and flipped it for 700k this afternoon and finished AL West and AL Central collections.

So I'm a bit away but not a bad day.