Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah they did mention it in passing as a comment on how the stewards were getting a bit tougher over the course of the race. It's now getting seriously wet and the leading Audi #15 just had a close call. And he's coming in for a pitstop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The number 3 merc that’s in second pitted before the Audi but lost so much time that he didn’t get ahead

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dacia in the top-100! :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lagidnam posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned on the English stream but one of the drivers went 220 km/h through a double yellow zone, which is 100 km/h too fast. The car got a 7:32 time penalty, the driver is disqualified and his Nordschleifen racing permit got immediately revoked. The incident was also reported to the German Motor Sport Federation which will probably ban him from racing for a few more months.

Ops...

:staredog:

well, can't say there weren't direct and representative responses to that big of a breaking of the rules.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

:staredog:

well, can't say there weren't direct and representative responses to that big of a breaking of the rules.
To be fair, the driver did go a bit too quick.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

lagidnam posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned on the English stream but one of the drivers went 220 km/h through a double yellow zone, which is 100 km/h too fast. The car got a 7:32 time penalty, the driver is disqualified and his Nordschleifen racing permit got immediately revoked. The incident was also reported to the German Motor Sport Federation which will probably ban him from racing for a few more months.

Ops...

That's surprising, I don't remember any other racing leagues loving someone that hard for speeding. I've seen disqualifications sure but that litany of punishments is quite novel.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone ever been to Petit Le Mans? I'm thinking I might try and go this year and looking for tips and tricks

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Dacia in the top-100! :toot:

With a spoiler.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SlowBloke posted:

That's surprising, I don't remember any other racing leagues loving someone that hard for speeding. I've seen disqualifications sure but that litany of punishments is quite novel.

They loving should thought, that's 130+mph when people possibly on track are expecting cars to be doing 60 tops. That's how you kill people.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

They loving should thought, that's 130+mph when people possibly on track are expecting cars to be doing 60 tops. That's how you kill people.
There's a risk of death at 60km/h (~37mi/h), let alone 100km/h (60mi/h) - and if they aren't killed, they'll be maimed for life.

And that doesn't even consider that racing cars aren't built for being better for pedestrians who get run into by drivers than regular road-going cars.
The more aerodynamic a car is, the worse it is for a pedestrian to be hit by.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

SlowBloke posted:

The only reason there's still racing at all at the Nurburgring at all is all up to how strict the safety regulations are. That track is legit dangerous and if you gently caress around like that you'll end up killing someone. That dude should have his racing license heavily sanctioned or suspended for some time for something that egregious.

I'm honestly surprised there's not the threat of criminal charges being considered, since it is a public road.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The only reason there's still racing at all at the Nurburgring at all is all up to how strict the safety regulations are. That track is legit dangerous and if you gently caress around like that you'll end up killing someone. That dude should have his racing license heavily sanctioned or suspended for some time for something that egregious.

yes, it's absolutely this. and I'm sure every competitor is told and given waivers to that extent - there's no way this is a unilateral decision. it was an incredibly unsafe act, and it has to be met with an appropriate response. I'm glad one was given.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getting Hype for Le Mans.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Just a couple weeks from now - and there could even be more Hypercar news at and around the event too. But even more important is the race should be real good. Big chance the Toyotas have issues again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's a risk of death at 60km/h (~37mi/h), let alone 100km/h (60mi/h) - and if they aren't killed, they'll be maimed for life.

And that doesn't even consider that racing cars aren't built for being better for pedestrians who get run into by drivers than regular road-going cars.
The more aerodynamic a car is, the worse it is for a pedestrian to be hit by.

That's a slightly mad take. You know there are degrees right?

Also the point is the marshals are expecting cars to be doing 60, and thus taking say 20 seconds from when they come into view, this is stuff Marshals are trained to use.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Just a couple weeks from now - and there could even be more Hypercar news at and around the event too. But even more important is the race should be real good. Big chance the Toyotas have issues again.

:foksmash: Yes! Let's hope that happens

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

algebra testes posted:

I've been low-key hyped for a week already, and I'm so glad I managed to un-gently caress my laptop in time to stream it on my TV.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shumagorath posted:

I've been low-key hyped for a week already, and I'm so glad I managed to un-gently caress my laptop in time to stream it on my TV.

If you want to get even more hype, the weighting session/car parade is on youtube right now

https://youtu.be/7d-QqpYz3as

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And for any sickos that need some kind of racing on for the next 3/4 of a day, the Super Taikyu Fuji 24H is live now. Japanese commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTHrfWMaj9E

the top class are GT3s, then a little bit of everything from there on down. 60 cars in the field, kind of Nurburgring 24H vibes but without the German 'factory' GT3 knife fight.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/BMWMotorsport/status/1533707354008694787

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's almost le mans time fuckersssss :getin:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
SPOTTTTERRRS GUIDE

I love the word Gazoo, do you Gazoo too?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

when life gives you lemons, you watch it on tv

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Was it this one or next year's race that will have the NASCAR entry?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

net work error posted:

Was it this one or next year's race that will have the NASCAR entry?

In 2023

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Is the Ferrari wec program still going or did it implode due to too much italian passion?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I thought they were waiting to put it in H.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

Is the Ferrari wec program still going or did it implode due to too much italian passion?

Per DSC a couple of weeks ago:

quote:

There will be two cars only in 2023, no customer cars are planned for at least the first season, and they will be run, as announced, by AF Corse.

The design is complete, and build and testing of the hybrid drivetrain is progressing with track testing currently due to begin in July with a full test programme mapped out after the traditional Fiorano roll-out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

Xisticide posted:

Per DSC a couple of weeks ago:

I think there's some expectation of announcements this week, though Ferrari are a bit of a wild card as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Isn't good lad Giovanazzi going to be one of the drivers

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Isn't good lad Giovanazzi going to be one of the drivers

That would make sense but there’s almost nothing officially confirmed about the Ferrari LMH program.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i know first practice is not much to go one but it was still encouraging to see glickenhaus keep pace with toyota. would be nice if the race for the overall win is a real race this year.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i know first practice is not much to go one but it was still encouraging to see glickenhaus keep pace with toyota. would be nice if the race for the overall win is a real race this year.

Alpine managed to do even worse than usual, maybe they'll grab the bykolles crown and explode in the first hour?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I finally succeeded in getting the 10 meter one-way HDMI cable I have, that was embedded in a wall, out of it - without tearing the wall out.
So now I have my TV signal from my HTPC on one of my monitors, and I'm as ready as can be for Le Mans.

Also, the Danish Eurosport host just opened after a commercial with "It's not a bad year, it's a good year" as the camera guy had caught some tires being changed.
I approve.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Something something racing, something sandbagging.

Also, Mikkel Pedersen has his first flying lap of his entire life on the Le Mans track, and he just set a record in the car and is #7. :denmark:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 8, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I guess Fassbender has already crashed in practice.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-40891283.html

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The camera folks were just filming it, looks like they're planning on rebuilding it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Noo, David Heinemeyer-Hanssons #43 is parked just right after the pit entry.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

is the wec stream still geoblocked in the us?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just catching the end of the Fuji 24h, the weather looks awful, has it been an issue over the race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

is the wec stream still geoblocked in the us?

Yeah, you might be able to buy it and use a VPN if you don't wanna deal with the Eurosport feed. I told WEC that I'm French and they took my euros, just gotta VPN for the video