Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"the in-universe mechanics are totally internally consistent in complex ways, it just happens that our focal characters aren't interested in them" is a tried and true narrative device, but I appreciate that they went the extra mile and had all the technobabble on panel regardless

also raider is back, still fabulous as hell

I do like that even the experts in the field find it difficult and annoying to keep up with.

Also if anything makes sense that a criminal syndicate is the most careful with time travel. After all, they gotta cover their tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

:yeah:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Makai no Ossan! Read right to left
It’s a long one today, but it’s still only four chapters/updates

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hahahahaha president heros about to pay the piper

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Here's Claire today.

I hope I'm not falling into the fantasy author trap where you have world building instead of plot.

Today we're introducing the trading Ben Greaves a man who never amounted to much beyond a bad attitude, but changed one young girl's life forever.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
The Property of Hate

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 1

Page 2

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 3

Thanks for the feedback earlier! Let's continue one page a day, no cutting pages into chunks.

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Jun 3, 2022

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Sometimes you can just pick out the one moment where everything goes to poo poo, and it's always so innocuous.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

From bad to worse

Saved by a competent mage

From the comments, a loose translation:

“Whether you are born of Hiisi
or from words of man corrupted?

You will fall on words I utter
dark being to my will be bended
Leave now vicious one and vanish
evil one in flight go running.”

Also from the comments, the second to last line of Onni’s spell, the command to the shadow creatures to leave, translates literally into something like “go away skiing,” which comes from an idiom that’s used similarly to the English equivalent “go take a long walk off a short pier.” It’s a pretty great mental image in any case

The more literal translation from the same person above:
“I wonder whether you are a being born from Hiisi
or from the words of a tainted/corrupted person/man?

Even then you shall fall/collapse (very literal) on/through the words I say/utter
dark being do as I tell you/bend to my will/do as I will you to do
Leave you evil/vicious/cruel one from this place (literally "go away skiing")
evil creature flee running.“

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 14:10 on May 30, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Today we're introducing the trading Ben Greaves a man who never amounted to much beyond a bad attitude, but changed one young girl's life forever.

asparagus man ain't got no patience for your idiot kid

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dieting Hippo posted:

Sometimes you can just pick out the one moment where everything goes to poo poo, and it's always so innocuous.

Right? It's so bright and sunny outside, he's gonna feel like a real chump when he has to come back in to grab them!

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Accidental Space Spy is my favourite Thorsby comic because I love worldbuilding and mysteries, but as soon as it's explained I lose interest. rear end follows a strict formula, introduce a weird planet full of alien biology, explain how it evolved, and then bam, it's on to the next one.

Property of Hate and Stand Still, Stay Silent are my favourite comics itt, and I dread the day all the mysteries get explained and I get bored of them. It's why I started posting Rice Boy

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

I don't know the context but I love this little comic page. the power of leafy greens

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That is the context, everything you need is established in the dialogue. She's from space, the planet is in a decades-long drought, and the wrinkly guy has never eaten a plant before

I know I just posted about how much I love long drawn out worldbuilding, but this is a master class in getting straight to the point without any clunky exposition

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 31: Trump Cards

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:sbahj:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lmfao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aphex twin - windowshitter

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone know if Thorsby did his stories one at a time or did he do them simultaneously?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

Got some fan art recently -- it's been added to the Extras(dead link) page. Thanks to Christopher, Jacob, and Sam for sending them in!

People write to me sometimes, asking for pointers on making comics. I'm never really sure how to answer, me being new at this whole comics thing and them being sort of vague about what sort of pointers they're after.

After the time spent making today's comic, I can offer the following pointers, however:

If you're going to do a G-Mod comic, particularly a comic that uses locations from three different maps, be really, really careful when you're snapping screenshots for it. If, for example, you forget to take a picture of a guy fiddling with the knobs of the radio and instead just have him standing in front of it, apparently moving the knobs with his MIND, you'll need to take the time to go back into the game and repose him. Not a huge deal to go back in and move his arm, unless, you know, you neglected to save the game, in which case you'll have to start from scratch.

If you, just hypothetically now, don't want the bright green static camera directly in the middle of the shot in the first panel (which you stupidly left there while shooting the fourth panel), you may want to remove it before you take your pictures. Again, save your game. Especially since you didn't save it the first time.

Finally, think about your last panel before you rush in and pose a couple metrocops for it. Maybe you want Dr. Breen in there with a Combine Elite instead. Maybe if you'd thought of that first, you wouldn't have to go back into the game for the 700th time that evening.

And even if you decide to stick with the metrocops because you're too drat tired to bother with doing it over, make sure they're actually on the correct side of the console for the dialogue to work properly. Unlike the dope who staged this shot.

Quick thank you to reader Jacen, who noticed I hadn't had full water reflections turned on when I started this chapter. They're turned on now so everything reflects in the water instead of just map elements.

Took a few tries getting that second dropship in next to the one that actually appears in the game. They're spawnable off the G-Mod menu, but they don't spawn with their troop containers. I tried posing a dropship ragdoll holding an upside-down Combine APC (to double as the troop container), but it wound up looking pretty spastic. Finally, I just photoshopped it in.

I really dig what they did with the dropships, gunships, and striders in the game. There's something very biological about them. They twist, turn, and move like living animals (hell, the gunship even has flippers), the sounds they make are reminiscent of animal calls, but they've also got jets, propellors, guns, and armor built into or onto them.

In this way, they're actually storytelling devices as well as enemies, because just by looking at them, you get some impression of what the Combine have done prior to invading Earth. They're probably mounting plasma guns onto elephants as we speak.

Got some more fan art to post today on the Extras page -- should be up shortly.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone know if Thorsby did his stories one at a time or did he do them simultaneously?

Just one at a time, iirc.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
https://twitter.com/ComicsThorsby
Looks like he posts pretty often on Twitter, maybe he responds to questions?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

flavor.flv posted:

Accidental Space Spy is my favourite Thorsby comic because I love worldbuilding and mysteries, but as soon as it's explained I lose interest. rear end follows a strict formula, introduce a weird planet full of alien biology, explain how it evolved, and then bam, it's on to the next one.

Property of Hate and Stand Still, Stay Silent are my favourite comics itt, and I dread the day all the mysteries get explained and I get bored of them.

Wow, I didn't know J. J. Abrams posted on the forum.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

yes all spacetime after 2299 has been erased but that doesn't mean you can't travel to 2448, you just gotta go arrive there moments before it gets erased

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like that even the experts in the field find it difficult and annoying to keep up with.

Also if anything makes sense that a criminal syndicate is the most careful with time travel. After all, they gotta cover their tracks.

Also worth mentioning that their technology is more advanced than the cops'. If they ever got caught, the police could reverse engineer their poo poo and probably go full Minority Report.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ten Earth Shattering Blows

it's ORCIN' TIME!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I followed Accidental Space Spy, Brain Chip & Trixie while they were being published and they were released one at a time, with something like a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule. I think there were breaks of a ~year between one comic ending and the next one beginning.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

lol wow

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

Chapter 22

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KennyMan666 posted:

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 31: Trump Cards

I do admire this guys dedication to learning how to draw exactly one female body shape and just applying it to every woman in the comic

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZOK

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

some plague rats posted:

I do admire this guys dedication to learning how to draw exactly one female body shape and just applying it to every woman in the comic

Maybe.... maybe he's applying pokemon rules to people? Like every monster of each species looks identical, so why not people? Are we not all pokemon trapped in stripey power orbs of our own devising?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tree Bucket posted:

Maybe.... maybe he's applying pokemon rules to people? Like every monster of each species looks identical, so why not people? Are we not all pokemon trapped in stripey power orbs of our own devising?
stupid boring normal types

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Speak for yourself I'm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges