Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah depending on the way the floors are laid out and where the damage is, that's a minimum one day job

1. Move all the furniture
2. Remove the trim from that side of the room
3. Pull up each piece one by one until you get to the damaged pieces
4 replace damaged pieces
5 reinstall half the floor worth of existing stuff, in the right order. It's put together like a jigsaw puzzle
6 fine tune any problems with the install
7 reinstall trim
8 repair/replace any broken trim/drywall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The thermostat in my kitchen claims it is 3-4*F hotter than temptales (yeah yeah, tell me you borrowed poo poo from your lab without telling me you...) placed on top of and next to it. The manuals for the thermostat (Carrier) have big bold text saying "CONTACT A TRAINED, LICENSED HVAC TECHNICIAN TO PERFORM CALIBRATION," and then the steps for it seem stupidly easy. Can I assume that this is standard lawyerspeak to avoid homeowners bitching about improper calibration, or is there something I'm missing about why someone with a calibrated pair of temp/humidity readers shouldn't cal his own thermostat? :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 27, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sundae posted:

The thermostat in my kitchen claims it is 3-4*F hotter than temptales (yeah yeah, tell me you borrowed poo poo from your lab without telling me you...) placed on top of and next to it. The manuals for the thermostat (Carrier) have big bold text saying "CONTACT A TRAINED, LICENSED HVAC TECHNICIAN TO PERFORM CALIBRATION," and then the steps for it seem stupidly easy. Can I assume that this is standard lawyerspeak to avoid homeowners bitching about improper calibration, or is there something I'm missing about why someone with a calibrated pair of temp/humidity readers shouldn't cal his own thermostat? :)

if it has steps and its easy go for it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

therobit posted:

Oregon is 3% assessed value increase unless you do improvements (not repairs) that increase the value more than 10% in one year. If you gently caress that up you get re-assessed but a lot of contractors around here only get permits for mechanical and electrical.

Do you have any insight into Oregon's assessed property values? Like in NV IIRC the assessed value is supposed to be 1/3 of the market value (for some reason) but I'm looking at property in Oregon and they have the assessed value which we can safely ignore but then they have a "real market value" on the assessors website that also seems pretty disconnected from reality.

Like I'm looking at one right now with an assessed value of 84,000 and a "real market value" of 195,000 that recently sold for 345,000.

Like if I want a closer real market value can I maybe add 50% to what they say is the real market value and that'll still be conservative since most of the ones I've seen are like this and ~75% off?

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

bird with big dick posted:

Do you have any insight into Oregon's assessed property values? Like in NV IIRC the assessed value is supposed to be 1/3 of the market value (for some reason) but I'm looking at property in Oregon and they have the assessed value which we can safely ignore but then they have a "real market value" on the assessors website that also seems pretty disconnected from reality.

Like I'm looking at one right now with an assessed value of 84,000 and a "real market value" of 195,000 that recently sold for 345,000.

Like if I want a closer real market value can I maybe add 50% to what they say is the real market value and that'll still be conservative since most of the ones I've seen are like this and ~75% off?

The assessment value is what matters, and that can only increase by 3% unless you do something to trigger a reassessment and tell them about it. And even then the RMV wouldn't really be a factor unless it happened to be below the assessed value.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

defmacro posted:

I'm working on getting a HELOC through Bethpage and while I'm pre-approved and the appraisal came back good, I still haven't signed anything yet. They're asking me "to add Bethpage as a 2nd mortgagee" to my homeowner's insurance and send them a copy, but this seems weird to me to do before I've signed on to the HELOC. Is that normal?

If anyone else runs into this, my insurance agent also thought it was weird. I messaged the HELOC guy and he's finally given me the final terms & docs to sign so things are happening in the right order. Got approved for more money than we asked for too so that's nice. Here's hoping that the contractor market has cooled a bit (I doubt it :suicide:)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

defmacro posted:

If anyone else runs into this, my insurance agent also thought it was weird. I messaged the HELOC guy and he's finally given me the final terms & docs to sign so things are happening in the right order. Got approved for more money than we asked for too so that's nice. Here's hoping that the contractor market has cooled a bit (I doubt it :suicide:)

Enjoy getting a notice that they are going to purchase you coverage through their scam ins partner at 20 times the going rate in a month

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Magicaljesus posted:

The assessment value is what matters, and that can only increase by 3% unless you do something to trigger a reassessment and tell them about it. And even then the RMV wouldn't really be a factor unless it happened to be below the assessed value.

I care about the actual market value I don't care at all about the assessed value, I'm not asking for tax purposes.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Elephanthead posted:

Enjoy getting a notice that they are going to purchase you coverage through their scam ins partner at 20 times the going rate in a month

Is it not normal to have a HELOC lender as a 2nd mortgagee? Please explain this to me like I'm an idiot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

defmacro posted:

Is it not normal to have a HELOC lender as a 2nd mortgagee? Please explain this to me like I'm an idiot.

Yeah I don't understand that comment either

We bought our house with a combo mortgage + heloc, then refinanced the same way hasn't been an issue

Maybe double check with a RE lawyer if you want to throw six bills at any anxiety

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What is this thing called? It attaches to the dryer hose on one side and leads outside. I want to replace it but don’t know how to search for it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Go to the hardware store and ask for the dryer vent section? Not sure what part of the vent you're talking about specifically but they're all available at pretty much any hardware store, and especially HVAC supply company

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Harriet Carker posted:

What is this thing called? It attaches to the dryer hose on one side and leads outside. I want to replace it but don’t know how to search for it.

That’s an elbow

bird with big dick posted:

I care about the actual market value I don't care at all about the assessed value, I'm not asking for tax purposes.

They do bulk appraisals every few years where they basically look at the the whole neighborhood’s sales data to come up with a price per square footage, then apply that to the aqua footage and bed and bath count the county has in their records for each property. But there are a lot of properties where there have been unpermitted work or work that didn’t require a permit as well as various upgrades to finishes so this approach doesn’t really produce reliable data.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harriet Carker posted:

That’s a 4 inch duct elbow and a straight section

Get some dryer duct tape to help seal it up while you’re out

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

therobit posted:

They do bulk appraisals every few years where they basically look at the the whole neighborhood’s sales data to come up with a price per square footage, then apply that to the aqua footage and bed and bath count the county has in their records for each property. But there are a lot of properties where there have been unpermitted work or work that didn’t require a permit as well as various upgrades to finishes so this approach doesn’t really produce reliable data.

Thanks. That's kinda what I guessed.

Some of the property I'm trying to value is undeveloped so maybe the "real market value" isn't that far off for that reason but at the same time I'm not sure I believe ranchland even in the Oregon hinterlands sells for $200 an acre.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're going to pay a lot less per acre when buying 100+ acres than 2-7 acres

$200 sounds awfully low unless you're out near where the Oregon, Idaho, Nevada borders meet, in which case good luck getting there on the weekends from your day job near the interstate

I'm about to offer $5k/acre for land "an hour outside of town" and even that feels pretty steep. $10k for good vacant land isn't bad, and even $30k isn't surprising for land near a highway, near a major metro area, and goes up from there

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 29, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I bought a lot in southern NJ, in a neighborhood; lot is 75’x100’. And has never been developed. I paid $25k for it

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My Uncle did that in south NJ too, spot next to him in the cul de sac. He sold the house to his daughter, unsure what he did with the lot. One of the two of them has it. I think he got the idea from my Grandpa who did that in Tampa in the 80s. When he sold the pair in the early 2000s to go into a retirement home, the undeveloped lot went for more than the one with the house. No idea on pricing, but if it's by your house, it gives you an astounding amount of control of your space.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My previous place owned about 7 acres of woodland around the house and both sides of a creek. You couldn’t build on the land but they didn’t want anyone else having it when it was cheap to buy to assure your privacy.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

So I need someone to tell me I'm not crazy because from what I've read, this actually happens somewhat frequently, but I'm also a first-time homeowner, so I dunno.

We closed on May 9th and the PO had already replaced the septic so the back yard was just dirt. PO had also contacted someone to come out and grade, fill, and hydroseed, so that's all good. We didn't get any communication on when that was going to happen, so they just showed up one day and graded the back yard and brought in the topsoil. A week or so later they came in and hydroseeded it, which, fine, whatever, I had to scramble and set up sprinklers and timers to cover the yard since that weekend was going to be 94 degrees.

However, every time I go out to move the sprinklers around, I'm finding shards of glass literally everywhere I go, some as long as my finger and still sharp. Clear glass, brown, and broken ceramic too. I've already filled a mason jar with it. This can't possibly already have been there, right? We emailed them and they replied "must have been mixed in with the loam." Wtf kind of poo poo reply is this? They just dumped garbage in our yard and that's how they roll? I have two young children and would really not have to worry about them running barefoot in their own backyard. Do I have any kind of recourse here?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

zenguitarman posted:

So I need someone to tell me I'm not crazy because from what I've read, this actually happens somewhat frequently, but I'm also a first-time homeowner, so I dunno.

We closed on May 9th and the PO had already replaced the septic so the back yard was just dirt. PO had also contacted someone to come out and grade, fill, and hydroseed, so that's all good. We didn't get any communication on when that was going to happen, so they just showed up one day and graded the back yard and brought in the topsoil. A week or so later they came in and hydroseeded it, which, fine, whatever, I had to scramble and set up sprinklers and timers to cover the yard since that weekend was going to be 94 degrees.

However, every time I go out to move the sprinklers around, I'm finding shards of glass literally everywhere I go, some as long as my finger and still sharp. Clear glass, brown, and broken ceramic too. I've already filled a mason jar with it. This can't possibly already have been there, right? We emailed them and they replied "must have been mixed in with the loam." Wtf kind of poo poo reply is this? They just dumped garbage in our yard and that's how they roll? I have two young children and would really not have to worry about them running barefoot in their own backyard. Do I have any kind of recourse here?

Not a lawyer so this isn’t advice but you would have to sue the seller since you’re not contracted with the installers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dual lots probably own

We evaluated a super rare 1+ acre, actually buildable lot in Sonoma, technically drivable to downtown. Had never been built on and had planning approval, minimal fire risk. Basically unheard of in the bay area

Anyways, apparently some boomer bought both lots, built the house on the better lot, on the right, but built the driveway in the left lot, far right side (there's a steep hill, better route) sold the house on the right with an easement on the left lot for said driveway. Once you factored in the driveway easement, plus the 0.20 acre cut off from the rest of the land by the easement, that you're paying for + property taxes for life, didn't look so great. But for the boomer, probably a great deal

If I owned a house with a vacant lot next door, I'd probably move heaven and earth to take ownership of it

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

zenguitarman posted:

Can’t comment on your recourse here (talk to a lawyer asap), but you are lucky the PO responded to you at all. I forgot to ask for receipt / warranty paperwork for very new laundry appliances til after closing and it was crickets / ghosting for me, through the agents I mean.

Like, I also discovered several items such as disintegrating sink drain and actively leaking windows, but I didn’t bother getting in touch with PO because it would have been either ghosting or a “gee, weird, totally didn’t do that for us” lie that cannot be disproved.

Honestly I would act same as a future PO as well, zero incentive and active disincentive to respond to inquiries from buyer post closing.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 30, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you got fill dirt, presumably it's on the fill dirt guy to provide clean fill dirt

I'd reach out to a lawyer, it might be hard to prove the glass didn't come from the current occupant's drinking problem if you wait too long

Fill dirt can come from a variety of places, if it's going into a residential backyard, it's up to the fill dirt guy to pick clean fill, but this isn't a super regulated thing so you kind of get what you get, especially if the PO picked the cheapest guy on Craigslist

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Alarbus posted:

My Uncle did that in south NJ too, spot next to him in the cul de sac. ...
No idea on pricing, but if it's by your house, it gives you an astounding amount of control of your space.

Hadlock posted:

Dual lots probably own...
If I owned a house with a vacant lot next door, I'd probably move heaven and earth to take ownership of it

My future daughter-in-law & my son bought the house next to the lot a couple years ago. It was originally part of the property, but was sub-divided around 2007 during the housing bubble. The vagaries of the market kept it from being developed / a house being built on it. It was for sale for $90K in 2020; the neighborhood was bummed that it was going to be built on. The owner was a real-estate holding/management company; it appears that they were going to build a house on it when COVID hit & their rental income stream dried up. Vagaries of the market again - too expensive to build & the holding co. started selling assets to generate cash. I offered $15K for it initially against a $75K demand.

My wife & I bought our place in 1992 and it included the 75x100 lot next door. Nothing beats having a good-sized yard; I've planted a number of trees, including a DED-resistant elm, which is now 21-years old & pushing fifty feet. I wanted the same for my kids.

Difference is, this is a neglected lot; tons of deadfall, weird humps of god-knows-what, overgrown poo poo everywhere. Going to be a job to tame it. Then, it's trees & maybe a few birdhouses, a bat house, and, if I can get the township's approval, set it up as a wildflower meadow / bird fly-way

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

If you got fill dirt, presumably it's on the fill dirt guy to provide clean fill dirt

I'd reach out to a lawyer, it might be hard to prove the glass didn't come from the current occupant's drinking problem if you wait too long

Fill dirt can come from a variety of places, if it's going into a residential backyard, it's up to the fill dirt guy to pick clean fill, but this isn't a super regulated thing so you kind of get what you get, especially if the PO picked the cheapest guy on Craigslist

This is also a really good object lesson in why you don't have work done by the people you're buying from.

Get a financial consideration instead, hire the people yourself. At the very least you're the contracting party so that if poo poo turns into lawsuits you can just directly shake that tree.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A couple years ago I bought the empty lot next door, half an acre for $10k. Mostly so noone could buy it and build close. A few trees and a lot of mowing, but totally worth it especially considering there's an abandoned lovely house on the other side that's a gut job

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my wife and I get in a ton of fights because I won't even let her hire somebody to hang pictures on the wall, but also: pretty much nothing needs to be redone later because of taking shortcuts because I do it instead. I'm also the guy who takes the item out of the package and inspects it before signing for it. Doing my own fill dirt is probably a bridge too far, but I'd definitely want to inspect the dirt before it goes on the lawn and you can't put humpty dumpty back together again

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CloFan posted:

A couple years ago I bought the empty lot next door, half an acre for $10k. Mostly so noone could buy it and build close. A few trees and a lot of mowing, but totally worth it especially considering there's an abandoned lovely house on the other side that's a gut job

My best friends parents bought a big 5 acre chunk of waterfront property back in the 1970s and built their house out there because they didn't want to live next to anyone else

There was a tiny pizza slice shaped piece of property next to their lot but it didn't have water access. Nobody would build on that, right?

Well after about 15 years someone bought the pizza slice and built the largest allowable house ($BIG, it was outside of city limits by a lot) RIGHT ON the property line closest to their house. You can look right into their kitchen from the master bedroom, and vice versa

Every time I go over there they moan about how they should have bought the "pizza slice lot" when they had the chance

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Honestly I would act same as a future PO as well, zero incentive and active disincentive to respond to inquiries from buyer post closing.

I read a story on Reddit back in the day where somebody tried to do a good deed by leaving notes on all the quirks and small issues in the house and the buyer just used that to launch a lawsuit.

I don’t know what I’d be expected to do about a leaky sink drain as the PO, anyway. Would there seriously be an expectation that I’d pay for any small issue that the inspector didn’t find?

Never talk to your buyer. Just leave a binder full of manuals and receipts.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 30, 2022

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I got a weird survey in the mail. It is to new homeowners and it says it is trying to get housing preferences in the community for builders. The weird part is they included a $1 bill with it. I want to fill it out to tell them to build denser housing but I am afraid if I do my junk mail will quintuple. Anyone ever get anything like this before?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The PO didn’t reset his nest doorbell he left behind. Luckily I talked to the realtor and he gave me his phone number. He reset the doorbell and answered a bunch of questions I had. The HVAC is loving weird. Oil baseboard heat, a split AC unit on the lower level and central ac on the upper level.

There’s FOUR THERMOSTATS, 3 of which are nests. Turns out the nest ones control the heat and the other one controls the central ac upstairs. The Mitsubishi split unit is controlled by a remote.

For some reason, there’s two nest thermostats on the lower level. He said that one of them controls the baseboard heat in the living room and the other one controls the baseboard heat in the other parts of the lower level.

I’ll need to go to the hvac thread and see if there’s any way to consolidate this poo poo.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

CongoJack posted:

I got a weird survey in the mail. It is to new homeowners and it says it is trying to get housing preferences in the community for builders. The weird part is they included a $1 bill with it. I want to fill it out to tell them to build denser housing but I am afraid if I do my junk mail will quintuple. Anyone ever get anything like this before?

Including a $1 bill is a surveying technique that creates a sense of obligation from your subjects and dramatically increases your response rate for a marginal cost. There’s a whole story by step process that I forget the name of because I haven’t taken a methods class in years and I don’t do survey research. It’s very common.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 30, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Upgrade posted:

Including a $1 bill is a surveying technique that creates a sense of obligation from your subjects and dramatically increases your response rate for a marginal cost. There’s a whole story by step process that I forget the name of because I haven’t taken a methods class in years and I don’t do survey research. It’s very common.

It's also basically elderly bait. A lot of scummy companies do it to pump info out of the elderly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

I’ll need to go to the hvac thread and see if there’s any way to consolidate this poo poo.

There is not! Goonspeed sir

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's also basically elderly bait. A lot of scummy companies do it to pump info out of the elderly.

That’s silly, instead of spending the dollars they could simply instruct the elderly to place an iTunes gift card in the return envelope.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If this isnt the right place for this please point me elsewhere 🤔

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on having a transfer switch and 240 volt outlet installed next to their panel to allow a hookup to a large ish generator for emergency use during power outages?
(I know the common concerns already, having proper isolation so that you aren't back feeding to the grid, not overloading things, etc).

I'm mostly just looking for a ballpark cost in terms of having it wired properly with a licensed electrician and maybe any oddball things that I'm not thinking of.

I have a 9 KW standalone generator but I understand I'm not going to be able to pull that much out of it because the 240 volt rail is a 30 amp max. Just kicking around some ideas

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inlet, not outlet. And why would you want it next to your panel? Is your panel outside? If not you want the inlet somewhere safe to put your generator where you also don't need to run cords through doors/windows/under a garage door.

How much it costs depends heavily on where you live plus how soon you want it done. Nobody wants to take on small jobs like that in most of the US.

Price also depends on the specifics of your existing panel (will it accept a mechanical interlock?) and jurisdiction (will THEY accept a mechanical interlock?). You could be looking at a full on transfer switch or a panel swap. Or both.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 31, 2022

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Adding flashing underneath cement board siding. Looks doable - just a really long project adding like 10-15/day every day all summer. Anyone have any guides or experience doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

so, found something the PO did a poo poo job on, our back deck.

when we moved in it looked great (of course, just painted for the sale), but has worn like poo poo the last six months and a bunch of the boards split. I have someone out now that let me know: 1. the paint was incorrectly applied (need multiple layers), 2. the boards were poo poo reclaimed wood, and 3. the nails used were too short which led to some of the cross beams cracking when the boards started to warp. getting everything ripped out, replaced, and shored up, but what a pain. and of course nothing was visible when we bought.