Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

"We were just following orders" is not the defense these guys think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

GIRL BRAINS posted:

It's a time honored defense in their occupation

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

500excf type r posted:

It's a time honored defense in their occupation

It's basically America's MO at this point

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

GIRL BRAINS posted:

You don't need a defense when you have qualified immunity.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
train all 2nd/3rd graders on safety knives then upgrade them to locking fold-out knives in 4th/5th and instruct them to zerg rush a shooter so that anyone doing it will be walking into hundreds of chucky's

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1530359318658174976?s=20&t=dsako32MhXgLQ850Jq4hEg

quote:

“A first responder unwilling to place the lives of the innocent above their own safety should consider another career field."

You will never staff entire police departments with people who will earnestly die rather than protect themselves and that's why the police will always, always be useless at best and a menace to society at worst.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

You will never staff entire police departments with people who will earnestly die rather than protect themselves and that's why the police will always, always be useless at best and a menace to society at worst.

Yeah and this is perfect for the 'one bad [or in this case cowardly] apple' thing because it's not that the police force as a whole is inept and/or corrupt and dangerous, it's just those cowardly few who shouldn't be in the job in the first place.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's so funny when some moron journalist or PR person trots out the "just a few bad apples" line as a defense of the cops

just total ignorance getting that analogy completely backwards

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjwgt1kRqEU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

So what? What about head shots? Limb shots? They can cause debilitation and even death! So what if they get a huge payout from that? It's still too risky for our boys in blue!

Now, this November remember to vote yes on Proposition 69, which will fund new and improved technology for the Uvalde Police Department, including the all-new level 6 body armor, as well as laser-guided rockets and that gun from Perfect Dark that let you see and shoot through walls! Protect our community by protecting our guardians!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
yikes

https://twitter.com/golemgabi/status/1530191380533977091?s=21&t=jlAfKJUtHfnZG71e3GTv2g

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I never click on tweet threads usually but this one is pretty great

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's so funny when some moron journalist or PR person trots out the "just a few bad apples" line as a defense of the cops

just total ignorance getting that analogy completely backwards

It's endemic really

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the saying is "dont let a few bad apples spoil the bunch" so saying its a few bad apples means as long as you remove the scapegoats the org will be saved. theres no inconsistency there in how idiots use it.

you are also right that they have no idea what the saying means tho

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
next time watch some guy threaten the cops with his own AR and body armor covered with 3% and azov patches, and they'll meekly desist and let the parents go

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

We define bad apple as "someone who creates problems or causes trouble for others; specifically, a member of a group whose behavior negatively affects the remainder of the group." This term is often misunderstood to mean that a troublemaker's behavior is not representative of the whole group, but the proverb this term originally comes from is "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel."
In Poor Richard’s Almanack, Benjamin Franklin worded the saying as “The rotten Apple spoils his Companion.” The choice of the personal pronoun makes quite clear that Poor Richard is not talking strictly about fruit. The saying turned up frequently in 19th-century sermons as a warning to stay away from sinners because they tended to be corrupting influences.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/one-bad-apple-spoil-the-barrel-metaphor-phrase

it's not like this is a universal truth, but it's extremely like cops to gently caress up the definition. They reversed it's meaning.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I have not laughed so hard in a long time thank you

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one bad apple means, how do you like these motherfucking apples

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
one bad hamburger at mcdonald's doesn't mean mcdonald's is bad

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Real hurthling! posted:

the saying is "dont let a few bad apples spoil the bunch" so saying its a few bad apples means as long as you remove the scapegoats the org will be saved. theres no inconsistency there in how idiots use it.

you are also right that they have no idea what the saying means tho

We never remove scapegoats though.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

one bad hamburger at mcdonald's doesn't mean mcdonald's is bad
Much like the police station, your local mcdonald's is full of bad hamburgers

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

adding round egg turns a quarter pounder with cheese into an acceptable burger. if only there was something simple that could be added to cops to make them not awful, like mdma

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ikanreed posted:

We never remove scapegoats though.

touche

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Voice of Labor posted:

adding round egg turns a quarter pounder with cheese into an acceptable burger. if only there was something simple that could be added to cops to make them not awful, like mdma

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

The Voice of Labor posted:

feed them acid and every precinct becomes the cult from mandy

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

America loves its kids

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Laith_Marouf/status/1529338354759761921?s=20&t=4ur6vmZeYx5TC5QUOISJKQ

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/JacobCharlesNC/status/1530882665267740673?s=20&t=rYAaQ_OP3czyEWq_5fxXmg

:patriot:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

When you're right, you're right.

dta

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

All those gender studies teachers in texas elementary schools
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1531096254335311872?s=20&t=bjisKlSnP5p09I6D7gfh0w

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

isn't scientificamerican a chud science paper

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1531083815233458177?s=20&t=UsswWi__Jz0oFTBjit09sA
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1531235480045596674?s=20&t=UsswWi__Jz0oFTBjit09sA

No one died so it didn't make national news

quote:

Perched above it all, according to police, was Raymond Godfrey Chambers Spencer. In a fifth-story apartment furnished with not much more than a mattress on the floor and two folding tables, the 23-year-old had amassed four legally purchased high-powered rifles mounted with scopes, two handguns and more than a thousand rounds of ammunition. Police would later call the apartment a “sniper’s nest.”

From his bedroom window, where a tripod to balance a long-gun stood, Spencer could look straight down the alley 160 feet to Edmund Burke’s glass walkway, which students and staff call “The Bridge.”

In the span of a few minutes, he showered at least 239 bullets through that bedroom window and a sliding screen door in the apartment’s living room.

He hit a 12-year-old girl in the glass walkway, a mother sitting in her SUV and a security guard helping Peterson. One bullet grazed the shoulder of another woman in her SUV.

Random gunfire hit two storefronts nearly a mile down Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park.

He then stopped shooting and retreated to his bathroom with about 800 rounds of ammunition remaining. Authorities believe he may have realized countersnipers had quickly located his apartment, and felt it was too dangerous to return to the window.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

In fact gently caress teachers all together. We should install prisons guards to take care of the kids in school, so their parents can work.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

In fact gently caress teachers all together. We should install prisons guards to take care of the kids in school, so their parents can work.

the prison guards can lead the children in vocational training, like sewing and making shoes

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe everyone who posts on 4chan should spend 5 years in reeducation/rehab centers

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

SorePotato posted:

Maybe everyone who posts on 4chan should spend 5 years in reeducation/rehab centers

should be anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes online or watching tv in the past 40 years

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Raiad posted:

should be anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes online or watching tv in the past 40 years

Hell Yea. Government sponsored goon meet.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The media cycle has already moved on, nobody except posters on this forum care about Uvalde anymore

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk

4 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

sleep with the vicious posted:

The media cycle has already moved on, nobody except posters on this forum care about Uvalde anymore

people on twitter are still going to be digging it up for a while but anyone with anything better to do is out enjoying a nice memorial day weekend