Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I work in health care complaints and one of our most common complaint are folks who can't buy guns anymore due to a history of the sort of mental illness that gets your guns taken away really really wanting their guns back. Often they will outright say they NEED their guns back because of the chips justin is putting in everyone, or to make sure their ex-wife that they apparently were "stalking" knows who's boss.

It's never some poor farmer who was diagnosed bipolar and had his guns taken away. It's always people who snapped and built a fort in the mail room at their job and refused to come out until their boss admitted to gang stalking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

In ancient Canada the peasants were forbidden to carry a gun. So they developed martial arts using common implements such as hockey sticks and ratchet straps.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

...actually make the RCMP do their loving jobs...
Maybe this is a dumb question, but could they actually have accomplished this?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

The Liberals could have spent that time penning a bill to actually make the RCMP do their loving jobs and it would have saved lives.
Meanwhile, at the Public Inquiry....

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In the case of the Nova Scotia shooting the shooter was reported multiple times for various things that all would have warranted having his house searched and his firearms seized but the RCMP didn't use a single one of the laws already at their disposal to do so and instead let the shooter kill 22 people.

A handgun ban wouldn't have saved a single one of those 22 lives.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

It's never some poor farmer who was diagnosed bipolar and had his guns taken away. It's always people who snapped and built a fort in the mail room at their job and refused to come out until their boss admitted to gang stalking them.

I can't find it right now because search results are obviously going to be skewed by today's press conference, but I remember seeing an interview with an old farmer who self reported due to a severe bout of depression and got reinstated once he went to therapy and got medicated. I think we just don't hear about it because the ones shouting at everyone about how the government is out to get them aren't the ones who are getting help.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

In the case of the Nova Scotia shooting the shooter was reported multiple times for various things that all would have warranted having his house searched and his firearms seized but the RCMP didn't use a single one of the laws already at their disposal to do so and instead let the shooter kill 22 people.

Why are you expecting thought from D&D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm not. I fully expected a page of morons gloating because of this despite the fact that it solves nothing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh I don't think anyone here's under that impression. Not that a handgun ban wouldn't be nice, but the provinces are going to do it whether the feds do or not; and as for the red flag procedure that might've picked up the NS shooter, it would still need to have gone before a judge to be weighed against whatever feather they use to represent vexatious complaints

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Abolish the Police.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

Not that a handgun ban wouldn't be nice, but the provinces are going to do it whether the feds do or not;
Are they? Maybe Québec.

flakeloaf posted:

and as for the red flag procedure that might've picked up the NS shooter, it would still need to have gone before a judge to be weighed against whatever feather they use to represent vexatious complaints
Watch the video I linked; cops have lots of options for exigent circumstances. They used none of them; didn't even investigate the reports.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/neighbours-tried-warn-police-portapique-gunmans-abuse-weapons-1.6413460

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 31, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

Abolish the Police.

We'd probably all be safer if this had happened today, instead.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

We'd probably all be safer if this had happened today, instead.
Dunno about that, unless you want to replace the government monopoly on violence with warlord Immortan Pierre.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Shumagorath posted:

Dunno about that, unless you want to replace the government monopoly on violence with warlord Immortan Pierre.

What's the difference.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EvilJoven posted:

If the RCMP are ignoring laws then why would passing more laws help? Whether that law is a "handgun ban" or the magical "RCMP do a competent, worthwhile job" law you propose.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Because it pleases their idiot voter base. The whole thing is for election soundbites.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

Really looking forward to the delicious CHUD tears over this one.
A bunch of gun forums just went private and are no longer accepting members and / or the websites are unusable due to the traffic.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Bleck posted:

What's the difference.

It would probably gently caress our economy pretty badly. (See https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12117-007-9013-x for example)

The other difference is in the number of people killed. Police shootings in Canada result in say 30-40 people killed per year. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-year-end-police-shootings-1.6298888 That’s for something like 70,000 officers in Canada. I don’t have any data for this but I strongly suspect a mob run Canada would have a lot more than 30-40 killed by the group monopolizing violence.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

Don't know why it needs to swing in extremes. Something community based would be great to put in its stead.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Are they? Maybe Québec.

Watch the video I linked; cops have lots of options for exigent circumstances. They used none of them; didn't even investigate the reports.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/neighbours-tried-warn-police-portapique-gunmans-abuse-weapons-1.6413460

There's talk of it in Ontario too.

Re the video: Nonono I'm talking about the civilian process. The civies would still need to go to a judge, who would then need to not tell them to gently caress off. That second bit I'm having trouble with.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

We should pass a law that RCMP can't hide in the bushes while civilians are being slaughtered.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EvilJoven posted:

Because it pleases their idiot voter base. The whole thing is for election soundbites.

Oh lol I missed your joke entirely.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

There's talk of it in Ontario too.
Was that from anyone other than Del Duca? Ford has been explicitly against it, and Horwath talked about a ridiculous ban on urban sales which will close <checks notes> one counter at one store, maybe two if you count that Sail in Ottawa Trainyards. The NDP platform said something completely different and shockingly sensible about addressing root motivations for gun violence, and although I was going to vote for my incumbent MPP anyway that sealed the deal.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Mr. Apollo posted:

A bunch of gun forums just went private and are no longer accepting members and / or the websites are unusable due to the traffic.

lol

Guess we're going to see a new freedom convoy soon.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but could they actually have accomplished this?

The trucker convoy proved conclusively that no, we cannot force the police to do their jobs.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Evis posted:

It would probably gently caress our economy pretty badly.

Bleck posted:

What's the difference.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Mister Speaker posted:

You could go to the US and buy a handgun too, but if you get caught with either you're going away for a long time. As you should.

We should quit pussyfooting around with by-name bans and just prohibit all semi-automatics, IMO.

I was surprised at the complete ban of handguns, I'd be ok with revolvers, I'd figure anything with a removable magazine and semi-automatic would be gone.

I'd also ban any magazines that are "pinned" eg. 30 round "pinned" to 5 where 2 minutes with a drill you can "reset" it.

Any specifics on the ban? Does it move it to a prohibited class?

/edit Looks like they are addressing the pinned magazine issue.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 31, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Big K of Justice posted:

I was surprised at the complete ban of handguns, I'd be ok with revolvers, I'd figure anything with a removable magazine and semi-automatic would be gone.
Interesting line to draw given a swing-out or break-action still reloads quickly enough, but most of the guns being used in crimes are already prohibited in one way or another and have been for decades (barrel under 4 inches, magazine over 10 rounds, full-auto Glock sears smuggled over from China that even the US ATF has been trying to recover because they're not legal there either, sometimes the obscenely stupid combination of all three).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm down with banning handguns and disbanding the RCMP and am pretty sure that would not result in the country being taken over by organized crime because it's already owned by the FIRE sector anyway.

e: somehow I missed that Mark Saunders is running for the PCs in Kathleen Wynne's old riding. Can Toronto's former disgraced police chiefs please stop falling upwards?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 31, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

eXXon posted:

e: somehow I missed that Mark Saunders is running for the PCs in Kathleen Wynne's old riding. Can Toronto's former disgraced police chiefs please stop falling upwards?
Not only that; the big box plaza between Laird and Wicksteed has been ringed with Ontario Party signs with no candidate name (is that even legal??), and the New Blue candidate alternated signs with them along Laird.

Ontario Party is just straight-up white nationalist, and couldn't fill a full slate of candidates. New Blue has essentially a blog post about how Ontario Party tried to deconflict/merge with them and how they refused, but their full slate of candidates resulted from letting people write their own bios and crop their own photos. Both are just a bunch of idiots too scared of needles and miracles to get vaccinated. Check their respective sites out if you want to see some of the dumbest people alive.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I can see the Liberals totally getting this through, right after voting reform

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Was that from anyone other than Del Duca?

No. I didn't say it was talk that had been listened to.

Tad Naff posted:

I can see the Liberals totally getting this through, right after voting reform

Or spoken with any intention of actually following through.

:negative:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Shumagorath posted:

Interesting line to draw given a swing-out or break-action still reloads quickly enough, but most of the guns being used in crimes are already prohibited in one way or another and have been for decades (barrel under 4 inches, magazine over 10 rounds, full-auto Glock sears smuggled over from China that even the US ATF has been trying to recover because they're not legal there either, sometimes the obscenely stupid combination of all three).

Nowhere near the speed of an semi-automatic, I mean there's speed loaders, but there's a reason why cops dropped revolvers for the most part. Especially Single Action, that'll take a bit to reload, one round at a time.

I wonder if there will be an exemption for cowboy guns, single action. There are a few cowboy action shooting teams in Canada, and honestly swinging the ban hammer on a Cattleman Colt Single Action clone seems extreme.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Banning pistols if fine, but for the reasons noted on this page, not really worth talking about. The incremental change is basically nothing. If they'd actually gone ahead and banned anything semi-automatic, it would be worth talking about. Nothing that can fire faster than a bolt action. Maybe I'm using the term wrong. Not a gun guy.

Possession of a loaded handgun seemed like a legitimate use case for mandatory minimums. The way the SCC struck down those laws in R. v. Nur seemed to leave room for amendments to carve out the problems the majority identified. But by the time the law was struck down, Trudeau was in power and they had taken position that mandatory minimums created by the Conservatives were all terrible. Which to be fair, they mostly were. Anyway, Trudeau could have done something with that too, but he didn't.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Shumagorath posted:

Not only that; the big box plaza between Laird and Wicksteed has been ringed with Ontario Party signs with no candidate name (is that even legal??), and the New Blue candidate alternated signs with them along Laird.

Ontario Party is just straight-up white nationalist, and couldn't fill a full slate of candidates. New Blue has essentially a blog post about how Ontario Party tried to deconflict/merge with them and how they refused, but their full slate of candidates resulted from letting people write their own bios and crop their own photos. Both are just a bunch of idiots too scared of needles and miracles to get vaccinated. Check their respective sites out if you want to see some of the dumbest people alive.

I had a guy out to do some ethernet runs in my house, he hailed from the land of Randy Hillier. Kind of a trip to meet a real person like that. I tried to avoid the politics because I didn't want him to gently caress up my house but these types of people always want to ramble on about it.
He started off with something about the liberals signing away Canadian sovereignty to the WHO, which I later found out is I think something from Leslyn Lewis about Bill Gates taking over Canada or something.
He then mentioned something about how his local New Blue candidate grew up in communist Poland and has been doing speeches about how freedoms in Canada are now worse than under the communists because of pandemic restrictions and I guess because the government didn't dissolve itself in response to the Freedumbers.

He did good work though, so thumbs up on that part.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not. I fully expected a page of morons gloating because of this despite the fact that it solves nothing.

And takes time, attention, resources and money away from things that actually would reduce crime and save lives. That’s the thing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

ban all guns that aren't the mosin nagant

in fact issue a mosin nagant to every to every citizen on their 16th birthday

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Slotducks posted:

ban all guns that aren't the mosin nagant

in fact issue a mosin nagant to every to every citizen on their 16th birthday

How about we take that gun and replace it with functional pharma/dental/mental/vision/elder/child care?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
A gun is much cheaper though.

This is what's known as fiscal responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

eXXon posted:

How about we take that gun and replace it with functional pharma/dental/mental/vision/elder/child care?

lol you going to sit in front of an insurance companies' ceo and rain all over their parade like that? that ceo needs a 6th vacation home, you're going to be the one that does that exxon? really? they just had their most profitable fiscal year ever and now you're going to just take it away from them?

you're a monster