Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

mariooncrack posted:

I'm looking into soldering my first keyboard. I'm thinking about grabbing one of the practice kits from cannon key8s. Any recommendations on a soldering iron?

Are you also going to be soldering the diodes and whatnot on the PCB?

If so I'd also grab some flux, makes it way easier to solder little smd components like that. I did it without the first time and it was a lot more finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any news on Exit Strategy? If there's not going to be a keyboard I'd like to know so I can start getting my money back at the very least.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard I can buy assembled or can build without soldering that has the following:
-60% form factor
-wireless
-rgb lighting
-acrylic case

Been having trouble finding something that has all 4 features.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

Cheap and good: https://www.pine64.org/pinecil/

Less cheap and also good with small form factor: https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-TS...53762544&sr=8-3

I want to do other soldering projects that require more precision and control because no one needs this to solder switches in: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D...ps%2C225&sr=8-3

Thanks for the recommendations. I think the hardest part of deciding what to buy is not knowing if I'll want to use this past soldering some keyboards. I've looked into putting together my own speakers and I have plenty of retro consoles that I may want to tinker with at some point.

foutre posted:

Are you also going to be soldering the diodes and whatnot on the PCB?

If so I'd also grab some flux, makes it way easier to solder little smd components like that. I did it without the first time and it was a lot more finicky.

Not sure but it sounds like something that's good to have on hand. Thanks!

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 29, 2022

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

meta² posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard I can buy assembled or can build without soldering that has the following:
-60% form factor
-wireless
-rgb lighting
-acrylic case

Been having trouble finding something that has all 4 features.

You can build this by getting parts from a few different places:

Wireless PCB + ultra thin battery here: https://www.upgradekeyboards.com/product/bt60-60-wireless-hotswap-tray-mount-wired-or-wireless-pcb/

Acrylic case here:
https://divinikey.com/collections/tofu60/products/kbdfans-tofu-60-case

Polycarbonate plate here: https://divinikey.com/collections/tofu60/products/kbdfans-60-polycarbonate-plate

This will check all the boxes while also giving you hotswap and extra RGB from the PC plate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ijyt posted:

Any news on Exit Strategy? If there's not going to be a keyboard I'd like to know so I can start getting my money back at the very least.

I was just stopping by to post an update. I don't have anything significant to report, but I haven't forgotten about you all. Sebmojo (one of the admins) has reached out via the email they used to register. I can say that Exit Strategy has logged in since I've sent them a PM and I have not heard back, so that is somewhat frustrating.

If I were in your shoes, I would start trying to get your money back. Worst case scenario it can always be exchanged again later. But at this time, I would do what you can to get your money back and obviously no one should be sending Exit Strategy money.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You seem handy and you’re a mech e so why the reluctance to do some basic soldering?

basically i'm afraid to go down a rabbit hole into a new hobby i don't have time or mental capacity for lol

teethgrinder posted:

I'm not familiar with that seller, but it seems great and up your alley. I think you'll love the QMK firmware stuff (eventually) for your macro needs.

As you're worried about the border, try contacting them to see/confirm that they ship by USPS so you're not dinged by a loving $50 "brokerage fee" from the couriers + taxes. I almost never get hit at the border if it ships by regular post and is under $100.

Screama posted:

FWIW I have a Murphpad as my daily office numpad and would recommend it. Not too hard to build, VIA compatible and looks good on the desk.

thanks! think i'm gonna go with the murphpad, i'll order it now and follow up with the thread about it later

init posted:

If 3D printing is an option, then there are case designs available for various smaller 30%/40% keyboards online, like for the Gherkin and the Let's Split.

The PCB might still be tricky however. Some keyboards like the Gherkin have Gerber files available online and have instructions for ordering a PCB (I've never tried this myself). But this will probably end up being more expensive than just ordering 1 pcb from an online store whos got them in stock.

hmmm. interesting. worth considering for a companion board once i have the murphpad going, for typing and stuff. thanks for the help guys

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Internet Explorer posted:

I was just stopping by to post an update. I don't have anything significant to report, but I haven't forgotten about you all. Sebmojo (one of the admins) has reached out via the email they used to register. I can say that Exit Strategy has logged in since I've sent them a PM and I have not heard back, so that is somewhat frustrating.

If I were in your shoes, I would start trying to get your money back. Worst case scenario it can always be exchanged again later. But at this time, I would do what you can to get your money back and obviously no one should be sending Exit Strategy money.

:smith:

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Gearman posted:

You can build this by getting parts from a few different places:

Wireless PCB + ultra thin battery here: https://www.upgradekeyboards.com/product/bt60-60-wireless-hotswap-tray-mount-wired-or-wireless-pcb/

Acrylic case here:
https://divinikey.com/collections/tofu60/products/kbdfans-tofu-60-case

Polycarbonate plate here: https://divinikey.com/collections/tofu60/products/kbdfans-60-polycarbonate-plate

This will check all the boxes while also giving you hotswap and extra RGB from the PC plate.

Thank you kind sir! Just got these parts and can’t wait to put it together. Been dreaming of this setup for a few years based off a piece of audio equipment I saw: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/landing/virgil-abloh

meta² fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 30, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Aaaw gently caress I sent it as friends and family whyyyy

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nestharken posted:

If you don't get a lemon, it's a nice portable keyboard, but if you do... well, this thread and the Internet at large are full of horror stories about Keychron's infamously bad customer service. The standard recommendation seems to be to buy from Amazon so that you have some protection if you get a dud.

Size-wise, it's got the same footprint as any other 65% with a minimal bezel, but it is very thin--a little bit thicker than your average tablet with case, and almost exactly as thick as most laptops these days. I carry a tablet and the K7 together in an A4 folio pouch and it doesn't feel bulky at all. As far as switches go, I got one with the banana switches and an extra set of the mint ones 'cause I couldn't decide between the two. I'd suggest going with the banana switches unless you like tactiles that are *really* loud and heavy.

Your other option with the same approximate feature set is the Nuphy Air60, but it *just* came out this week, so reviews are spotty, and it has a more... distinctive aesthetic sense.

Just chiming into say I absolutely fell in love with the look of the Nuphy Air60 following your post, and although it's out of stock on their website with the browns I've just found one brand new on Ebay for RRP, along with that really nice folio case/ipad stand. Reviews seemed solid, so just went for it. Will report back once it arrives this week.

It's also gonna be my first hotswappable keyboard (the ekko I've been using for a couple years is all soldered in) - are gateron/keychron low profile switches interchangeable? It'd be fun to start trying out some other switches - and although the low profile market isn't exactly huge at the moment, it might be fun to try out banana optical switches if compatible.

Either way I'm keen to finally give reds a go, just out of curiosity. Not blues, obviously, because I'm not a degenerate.

edit: Oh, if anyone else is curious, I found an answer, which is that Keychron use a slightly diff design than Gatereon so they're not interchangeable. Are Red/Blue/Brown currently the only low profile MX switches that Gateron do?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ijyt posted:

Aaaw gently caress I sent it as friends and family whyyyy

Hell, same. :sigh:

I suppose I can live with a $200 life lesson plus $50 stupid tax if it's just (as, it appears I'm forced to grudgingly concede, it might be) a case of a guy deciding he's done with SA and might as well grab some cash on his way out. (In which case, hey, in retrospect I really should have paid more attention to the user name!) It still doesn't really jibe with the way things played out though and I guess I'm doomed to a lifetime of curiosity as to what actually happened.

e: I also notice just now he apparently deleted the images of his keyboards from imgur

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 30, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hell, same. :sigh:

I suppose I can live with a $200 life lesson plus $50 stupid tax if it's just (as, it appears I'm forced to grudgingly concede, it might be) a case of a guy deciding he's done with SA and might as well grab some cash on his way out. (In which case, hey, in retrospect I really should have paid more attention to the user name!) It still doesn't really jibe with the way things played out though and I guess I'm doomed to a lifetime of curiosity as to what actually happened.

e: I also notice just now he apparently deleted the images of his keyboards from imgur

Well okay it's a bit harder to give him benefit when he logs in, ignores everyone, and starts trying to bury his tracks like that.

I still don't think he set out to scam here; he had done the QMK firmware work, spun the boards, and installed switches. As far as I can tell all that was lacking were the cases and shipping so he'd only have gotten away with a fraction of what he could have if it was a ripoff from the start.

I live a few hours away from the address where I sent the switches so if I was really bored some afternoon I could go inquire in person; I've been meaning to visit that area for a while anyway and maybe this is the excuse I need. Check out some tourist stuff and then cap off the trip to solve the mystery. If you're really feeling sassy this is theoretically a federal beef since it went over state lines but in practice the FBI isn't going to spend their time on chump stuff like this when they have police departments to clear of all wrongdoing and a local law enforcement agency also won't bother with a bunch of randos from the internet complaining about not getting $1500 worth of goods from a hobbyist.

Exit Strategy: I know you've had a rough few months and I hope things are going better for you. If you would like for me to visit you in person, collect the boards in their current state, and mail them to their intended recipients at no additional cost to anyone besides myself you can contact me via email, PayPal, or PM here and I would be delighted to make that happen.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If he asked for payment via friends and family doesn't that imply it was a scam from the start? Since the whole point of it is to bypass payer protections

e: okay, I see why it probably wasn't an out-and-out scam now

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 30, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Llamadeus posted:

If he asked for payment via friends and family doesn't that imply it was a scam from the start? Since the whole point of it is to bypass payer protections

It saves the seller a few percentage points that PayPal rakes off the transaction for sales. I usually send extra to cover the rake to ensure I get the protections on deals like this even if the seller requests F&F but I've never had an issue until now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He didn't ask me for F&F, apparently I did that on my own because I was stupid. I've done stuff through SA-Mart before and never used F&F on it so I dunno what possessed me to do it this time. Life lesson and all that.

Midjack: yeah the way it went down doesn't make it seem like an out-and-out scam. Sticking strictly to what seems clear from what we know, the outline of what happened is:

- He took payment from 5 goons and began work on 5 builds, completing or nearly completing a couple and making decent progress on the others
- But then he became unable to continue working on them for some reason
- But instead of contacting the buyers and explaining the situation and working something out, he chose to ghost them and vanish from SA
- He is apparently not dead or too incapacitated to use the internet.

He could be in a really bad financial situation where he spent the money on things other than the needed materials/tools and now doesn't have a dime to spend on that or refunds. He could be in a really bad mental health place for unrelated reasons. He might have just burned out on building keyboards halfway through and decided to gently caress off with the money instead. I think those of us who are standing to lose out on this are unanimous in being very understanding of whatever bad poo poo might have happened, we just want to know what's up. But no denying ghosting on people who paid you for a product without delivering anything is a Real Bad Look. :sigh:

FWIW I think trying to doxx him/track him down in person is a Really Bad Idea, we don't and can't know what mental state he's in and it could be outright dangerous to do so.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 30, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please don't dox anyone, show up to anyone's house, or anything of the like. I assume if you can drop a few hundred dollars on a custom keyboard you're not going to go hungry, as lovely as it is to lose that money. There's still a chance this could end well, who knows.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I purchased a Royal Kludge RK84 recently and have been quite happy with it so far. I might mod it. I might not.

Well, that's my keyboard story.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
For clarity's sake, I'm only out the cost of the Boba U4Ts I had sent to Exit Strategy directly. I hadn't sent him the actual cost of the keyboard yet, because I figured either the price would increase (he could have decided his time was worth more, and that's perfectly fair!), and there was always the paranoia that he would flake. My last PM to him was to confirm the price.

And I still want the keyboard. But at this point, I'm not comfortable sending any money until after I've received it and tested it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If there's anyone that can get ahold of Exit Strategy, or if Exit Strategy is reading this:

I will happily finish up whatever needs to be done and get the boards shipped to wherever they need to be, no questions asked. All I require is that they get shipped to me with some notes about what might need to be done. I will even cover shipping of everything to me. I can finish up whatever needs to be done and provide some closure to this project. You can reach out to me either through DMs here or through my shop email at contact@avxworks.com and we can figure out the logistics privately.

I understand things happen in life and that it can be difficult to come back to this kind of situation. I've been in similar situations myself. I will do everything I can to make it easy for you to get these off your plate so that you have one less thing to worry about.

Exit: For anyone that might be worried about me running off with stuff: I can honestly assure you that I already have too many keyboards and absolutely do not want any more. I'm also easily reachable on several goon Discords, Slacks, PMs here, and even my keyboard store contact email (posted earlier). I've built a whole bunch of keyboards and anything that I can't do myself, I know very reliable people that can do it.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 30, 2022

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

PhilippAchtel posted:

I purchased a Royal Kludge RK84 recently and have been quite happy with it so far. I might mod it. I might not.

Well, that's my keyboard story.

I got a G68 for "RGB go brrrr" reasons, but it's actually got a solid set of features for the price. It looks very fun with a set of pudding keycaps and sounds much nicer with some foam in the back of the case, FWIW.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

The Grumbles posted:

Are Red/Blue/Brown currently the only low profile MX switches that Gateron do?

This got lost in the Exit Strat Chat, but I don't believe Gateron do, but other brands like Kailh have heaps, and Cherry have two.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Nestharken posted:

I got a G68 for "RGB go brrrr" reasons, but it's actually got a solid set of features for the price. It looks very fun with a set of pudding keycaps and sounds much nicer with some foam in the back of the case, FWIW.

Going to second this. I put these keycaps on my Womier TKL:

https://drop.com/buy/artifact-bloom-series-keycap-set-glow

Looks really nice IMO.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Just to chime in that my nuphy60 arrived today and I'm really loving it so far. Right shift is smaller than i'm used to but it only took a little bit of typing to get acclimatised. Feels and sounds great, and the low profile/size/wireless keeps the desk space nice and quiet. I'm sure keyboard obsessives will find something to wanna tweak in it all but so far so good for me. A huge step up from my ekko in a lotta ways. Keys and case look fantastic too.

Their windows software seems a lil fussy - doesn't seem to detect the keyboard in wireless mode - but it sounds like they update firmware for their kbs on the reg.

Screama posted:

This got lost in the Exit Strat Chat, but I don't believe Gateron do, but other brands like Kailh have heaps, and Cherry have two.

Thanks! They threw in a few free samples of different coloured gaterons, so I can sit there clicking the blue switch in my fingers (with all the lights off and curtains drawn, obviously)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please don't dox anyone, show up to anyone's house, or anything of the like. I assume if you can drop a few hundred dollars on a custom keyboard you're not going to go hungry, as lovely as it is to lose that money. There's still a chance this could end well, who knows.

Update on this. I'm not seeing any effort by Exit Strategy to get in contact with anyone and them removing their photos from Imgur is enough for me. I've queued a perma. Admins have been involved in the issue from early on, so I suspect it will be approved. If not, I will let you all know.

I'm sorry to those of you who lost money and did not get keyboards. :( I really appreciate you all giving Exit Strategy the benefit of the doubt and being so cognizant of the fact that a lot of people are struggling right now. It's much better to show that empathy than to immediate assume the worst and I am really proud to share a forum with you all.

Please do be cautious exchanging money for keyboards, especially sending money ahead of time. And please also record all transactions in SA-Mart going forward.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free. If you'd rather PM me, that works, too.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Please do be cautious exchanging money for keyboards, especially sending money ahead of time.
The equivalent of a TOS in mechanical keyboards that everyone clicks through and always trusts their GB will go through without a hitch.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm sad that those keyboards won't be a thing. They were too big for my use case but it was a cool idea. :rip: to another goon project.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I got my Moonlander keyboard and my life is a living hell now. Learning a split ortholinear keyboard hurts my brain.

Anyone have any advice for remembering keys that are not labelled? Just practice doing the same thing over and over?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Opioid posted:

The equivalent of a TOS in mechanical keyboards that everyone clicks through and always trusts their GB will go through without a hitch.

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

Sorry, I was just being facetious. The entire basis of mechanical keyboards and group buys that keep this hobby afloat is dumping your money towards a stranger and hoping you get a product in 1-2 years.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hamelekim posted:

I got my Moonlander keyboard and my life is a living hell now. Learning a split ortholinear keyboard hurts my brain.

Anyone have any advice for remembering keys that are not labelled? Just practice doing the same thing over and over?
Personally I kept a close to standard layout, even tweaking the default to be more like a normal QWERTY configuration. Make it easiest by making it what I'm already used to. Obviously if you're looking to go to an alternate layout that doesn't work so well.

As for the rest, I printed out a layout sheet from Oryx and taped it to the side of my PC for a while. I still have the printout in a drawer if I need it, I honestly couldn't tell you what any of the unlabeled buttons on the right half outside of the thumb cluster do.

Also I changed out the switches on all of the keys that toggle layers to some of the clickiest clickies I have so I know if I accidentally hit them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Opioid posted:

Sorry, I was just being facetious. The entire basis of mechanical keyboards and group buys that keep this hobby afloat is dumping your money towards a stranger and hoping you get a product in 1-2 years.

No worries at all. I read your comment a few times last night and this morning and wasn't sure. I was legitimately saying if anyone had ideas/recommendations then I'm all for hearing those out.

Otherwise I'll take a step back, don't want this thread to be only about this issue. Thanks again everyone for making this a really great thread. Appreciate you all.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

wolrah posted:

Personally I kept a close to standard layout, even tweaking the default to be more like a normal QWERTY configuration. Make it easiest by making it what I'm already used to. Obviously if you're looking to go to an alternate layout that doesn't work so well.

As for the rest, I printed out a layout sheet from Oryx and taped it to the side of my PC for a while. I still have the printout in a drawer if I need it, I honestly couldn't tell you what any of the unlabeled buttons on the right half outside of the thumb cluster do.

Also I changed out the switches on all of the keys that toggle layers to some of the clickiest clickies I have so I know if I accidentally hit them.

Yeah. I am thinking I am going to have different key colours for each layer so I know which one I am on. The led bars are blocked by the number keys. It would be nice if they moved the bar to a location you could see at a glance. Maybe move it towards the connectors because you can actually see that part of the case.

I'm still waiting on my oled keys that I can customize the images for. Production costs need to come down on those.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
drat, NK 87 entry edition for less than the cost of a keycap set is pretty good.
https://novelkeys.com/collections/top-dogs/products/nk87-entry-edition

Batch 1 boards are only $75 that's amazing https://novelkeys.com/collections/keyboards/products/nk87-entry-edition-batch-1

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 1, 2022

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

I just left https://configure.zsa.io/train open in a window for the first couple weeks. If you're on more limited screen space you could maybe just print your map out. Setting different colors for your layers is a good idea too.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

drat, NK 87 entry edition for less than the cost of a keycap set is pretty good.
https://novelkeys.com/collections/top-dogs/products/nk87-entry-edition

Batch 1 boards are only $75 that's amazing https://novelkeys.com/collections/keyboards/products/nk87-entry-edition-batch-1

I have one of the Batch 1 versions and it’s easily worth $75. Also want to note the Batch 1 aluminum edition is on clearance for $135.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
drat, would have probably bought a batch 1 in black but they're all gone.

How much of a difference do the "washers between the stabilizer and PCB" actually make?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Someone posted about it a few pages back. I think it caused shorts in the board.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Someone posted about it a few pages back. I think it caused shorts in the board.

It’s that. My board was unusable until I took the case apart and loosened up the stab screws. Not that big of a deal if you were planning on replacing or lubing them but a major issue for people that wanted something that worked right out of the box.

Still worth it for $75/$135

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sacred Cow posted:

It’s that. My board was unusable until I took the case apart and loosened up the stab screws. Not that big of a deal if you were planning on replacing or lubing them but a major issue for people that wanted something that worked right out of the box.

Still worth it for $75/$135

Could someone buy nylon washers and perform the fix themselves? Are there details out there as to what size the screws are (M2 / M2.5 / M3?)

e: hmm looks like M2 size washers work

mewse fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 2, 2022