Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is a laneway house a backyard shed apartment but legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Basically.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Smithwick posted:

I could arguably defend the roof(s) design but the windows are bad and the columns by the entry are barf.
I am very confused by the windows in the chimney. In case Santa Claus gets stuck?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is that a condo? I am confused by the 3 address markers. It looks kind of like a single family home.

Yeah as Lazyhound said, it's almost certainly main house / basement / laneway, or main house / basement 1 / basement 2. Just looking at the photo, I instantly figured it was in Vancouver. This is pretty standard for new construction here, since any new build house sells for $2mil+, so people buying it need "mortgage helper" suites. Rental basements have been standard (if semi-legal) for years, but recently the City has been legitimizing it by requiring each suite to have its own address (and breaker board, utilities, etc).

So in a sense it's "single-family housing", but in practice it's a small apartment complex. Of course the Canada Revenue Agency considers these not to be separate suites for tax purposes, so homeowner-landlords don't get taxed as though it were, say, a separate apartment they owned and rented out ("think about the poor multi-millionaire homeowners"). On the upside, this counts as SFH for zoning purposes, which is actually good for badly-needed densification.

Also that seems to be one of the new "styles" of housing here. Dark-stained wood, cheap vinyl siding, and occasional concrete, glass or sheet metal. It's sort of a faux-natural brutalism. Here are some more examples I grabbed from Google street view:

No secondary suite addresses for the second one? They're around the side of the house! Servants tenants entrance out back.

Edit: Oh, I looked up the assessments on those. The top one is $2.9mil. The bottom one is $2.5mil.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 26, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/EnergyVanguard/status/1525073506630762498

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah as Lazyhound said, it's almost certainly main house / basement / laneway, or main house / basement 1 / basement 2. Just looking at the photo, I instantly figured it was in Vancouver. This is pretty standard for new construction here, since any new build house sells for $2mil+, so people buying it need "mortgage helper" suites. Rental basements have been standard (if semi-legal) for years, but recently the City has been legitimizing it by requiring each suite to have its own address (and breaker board, utilities, etc).

So in a sense it's "single-family housing", but in practice it's a small apartment complex. Of course the Canada Revenue Agency considers these not to be separate suites for tax purposes, so homeowner-landlords don't get taxed as though it were, say, a separate apartment they owned and rented out ("think about the poor multi-millionaire homeowners"). On the upside, this counts as SFH for zoning purposes, which is actually good for badly-needed densification.

Also that seems to be one of the new "styles" of housing here. Dark-stained wood, cheap vinyl siding, and occasional concrete, glass or sheet metal. It's sort of a faux-natural brutalism. Here are some more examples I grabbed from Google street view:

No secondary suite addresses for the second one? They're around the side of the house! Servants tenants entrance out back.

Edit: Oh, I looked up the assessments on those. The top one is $2.9mil. The bottom one is $2.5mil.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! It actually sounds like an awkward living situation. Are the yards commonly considered shared spaces or does each ADU get their own 25 square feet of yard fenced off? Like the logistics of cramming 3 houses on one lot seems like it would be really difficult in regards to parking, pets, and, well, everything. Are these houses in the city proper, or is this what you see in the suburbs even? I have only driven through Vancouver a few times on the way to Whistler so I am not super familiar with the area.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crappy Construction: Inappropriate Peanutting

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

I'm just picturing a talented kid drawing this house for an art class assignment, then getting a failing grade and the teacher telling them their work is poo poo

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for the detailed explanation! It actually sounds like an awkward living situation. Are the yards commonly considered shared spaces or does each ADU get their own 25 square feet of yard fenced off? Like the logistics of cramming 3 houses on one lot seems like it would be really difficult in regards to parking, pets, and, well, everything. Are these houses in the city proper, or is this what you see in the suburbs even? I have only driven through Vancouver a few times on the way to Whistler so I am not super familiar with the area.

This is in a suburban part of the City of Vancouver. That's the central municipality of Greater Vancouver, and the densest. There are about 900K people in the municipality but only 40K SFHs. There is a much denser downtown core, though.

And yeah, quite commonly the yard space is shared. We rent the top of a house, and share the garden with the family in the basement downstairs and the family in the laneway. We all along pretty well though.

I've also lived in basement suites where the landlord lived upstairs and the rental included "no access to the garden".

In terms of awkwardness, it's not really any worse than living in a four-plex apartment building, and in some ways better.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is really nifty! Thanks for the info! If I could I would move to Canada, but unfortunately there are a lot of things that prevent me from doing that. I would also really only be interested into moving to BC. My company has a facility opening that I could work at (if I had the visas/etc...) but it is in Toronto area and I think that might be too flat for me. Although it is close to Stratford and the amazing shakespeare festival they have! Unfortunately due to the moistness/humidity my company will never have a facility in BC :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Probably just someone from the PNW during fire season.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

therobit posted:

Probably just someone from the PNW during fire season.

:hai:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The air purifier is the least interesting thing in that image.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

The relic ruins puzzles in Horizon Forbidden West where you need to use your grappling hook to pull down boxes that look like AC condenser units or filters from high up and implausible places make so much more sense now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

https://twitter.com/EnergyVanguard/status/1499725674352939012

There's a lot to sort through, but this twitter account has some bangers in terms of "bad construction."

Another favourite:

https://twitter.com/EnergyVanguard/status/1523263309956452352

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/comments/uzar7m/wcgw_by_grilling_next_to_your_siding/

Ah, memories.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The air purifier is the least interesting thing in that image.

I like the dishwasher installed with a 3 inch gap around the cabinet

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

From a piece of hvac equipment, terrible quality control.

The unit comes from the factory with a selector switch in a bag, to change speed on a multi-tap blower motor.

the mounting point is pictured, you snip out the middle, then mount using two opposing holes.

3/4 holes failed to get punched and threaded, and the screws provided are cheese and immediately strip when used.

:negative:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'd hate to be the poor rear end in a top hat that has to fix that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I heard that this was the inappropriate nutting thread.

https://i.imgur.com/OoqBPs4.mp4

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Janking too hard will cause nutting accidents.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
We bought a house this past October and I finally got around to taking down a crappy tool shed/ pigeon coop the previous owners left behind. Aside from the the creative "trusswork" involving not only nails and tapcons, but some rope tying stuff together too, it was super fun demolishing it while thing to figure out how not to die while doing it.

Anyway, after finally getting the structure torn down, I start lifting tiles. I see this:

It's hard to see, but the entire floor was made out of these:

The old owner flattened who knows how many cans of crackers to create a subfloor for this bullshit shed. I can't see this having been easier than just laying down a slab, or maybe a deck or something. Good loving god.

I'm a home inspector and I see looooots of shady poo poo here in South Florida, but to have it hit so close to home, wow.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

As for that flattened can floor... I've seen people use cans/license plates/whatever to patch holes but that's a new one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That poo poo shrine is magnificent.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Doji Sekushi posted:

We bought a house this past October and I finally got around to taking down a crappy tool shed/ pigeon coop the previous owners left behind. Aside from the the creative "trusswork" involving not only nails and tapcons, but some rope tying stuff together too, it was super fun demolishing it while thing to figure out how not to die while doing it.

Anyway, after finally getting the structure torn down, I start lifting tiles. I see this:

It's hard to see, but the entire floor was made out of these:

The old owner flattened who knows how many cans of crackers to create a subfloor for this bullshit shed. I can't see this having been easier than just laying down a slab, or maybe a deck or something. Good loving god.

I'm a home inspector and I see looooots of shady poo poo here in South Florida, but to have it hit so close to home, wow.

please post the stories

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:posthaste:this is the time, this is the place.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:gonk:

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

HolHorsejob posted:

please post the stories

Gotta find the pics, but I recently inspected a freshly-built house where the electrical system was grounded to pipe....CPVC pipe. and the service drop was maybe, maybe 7 feet over a driveway

This poo poo presumably passed Miami-Dade inspection.

That's incredibly tame compared to most poo poo I see in South Florida.

Doji Sekushi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 30, 2022

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Florida PO Man's Home Improvement stories.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I never wanted content to throw in this thread.

Last Monday I noticed some water spotting on the ceiling in my living room, and a seam between drywall ceiling panels opening up. Crawled into the attic and found the condensate tray under the AC air handler totally full. We called for emergency service and they send the biggest loving dude I've ever seen. He goes up there and says he cleaned a clog out of the drain, I point how how the tray isn't even level and all the water is collecting on the side opposite the emergency drain. He tells us everything is fine and the small water spots will dry up, no big deal! I thought it was kinda sketchy, but I'm no HVAC guy, and he is so we'll take his word for it.

Until Friday this happens:

So we clean up the mess, call insurance the next day. They send out ServPro who gets to work setting up drying equipment and cleaning the rest of the sodden insulation up there. While they were here they asked us to turn on the AC just to make sure nothing crazy happens. Well as soon as we turn it on it starts pissing water everywhere, so we call the AC company again. As soon as they heard their fuckup blew our ceiling out they sent their head tech dude out, he finds not only is the drain pipe cracked, the emergency condensate drain is cracked too. Not to mention the mounts will need re-leveled so the thing will even drain properly.

Insurance adjuster calls, they didn't even send someone out. Just some lady on the phone saying "All AC units do leak to some degree, and your policy doesn't cover long term leaking from appliances. We'll have to look into it." So they're already trying to weasel out.

Meanwhile we've been not sleeping for days because of 6 fans and an industrial dehumidifier running 24/7, and the house is blazing hot because it's literally a column of oven air coming down from the hole.

Sucks man.

Any suggestions on dealing with insurance trying to pull some bullshit? Clearly this was a sudden equipment failure and we called for emergency service the day of as soon as we noticed a problem. Just stand firm? Lawyer up at least to a degree that we can say "We're gonna let our lawyer deal with you" if they insist on loving us?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Send your insurance the name of your hvac company and the invoices. Also make sure you tell them clearly and plainly that the damage was sudden. This started, you attempted to repair it immediately, and then it suddenly got much worse. They're trying to say this has been dripping for a long time, but if you went from spots to collapse in the course of 5 days INCLUDING attempting to mitigate the damage with an emergency contractor that sounds sudden to me.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Standard insurance policies in the US use phrases like "leakage and seepage" vs "sudden accidental cracking" when it comes to pipe leaks. Usually the former isn't covered while the latter is. So anything that you have in writing that specifies "cracked pipe" is probably going to be helpful.

Note: many home policies exclude coverage for damage caused due to use of illegal substances, so try to avoid any references to "crack pipes."

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 31, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Based on the photos alone, there’s no loving way that I could ever call that ‘ongoing seepage and leakage.’ If they haven’t asked you for a recorded statement, offer to give them one, wherein you relay the sequence of events.

It is possible that you have an inexperienced adjuster, who is sorta trying to cover their rear end in case it is long-term seepage. If so, Servpro’s reports will tell the tale, because (irrespective of the facts) Servpro wants to get paid.

PM me if you have questions.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/sense-of-place-castle-house

Also

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 31, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

:psyduck: .....this isn't a Photoshop?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A building to surpass Groverhaus?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Many years ago, when I was a young lad, I worked at a petrol station. When you changed the fuel price, you had to change the price boards by walking out there with numbers printed on thin plastic sheets and change them with a long pole with suction cups on it.

One time I'd put an 8 on upside down and this old guy came in and lost his poo poo at me about it. Just exploded into this huge rant about how terrible it was and how he wanted me to change it immediately. It was busy so I politely told him to gently caress off and he complained to the owner who thankfully gave no shits.

So, for the next year or so that I worked there, every time there was a price change you better drat believe I put the 8s upside down. And the 3s. Even the 1s if I was feeling spicy.

And every time when that horrible old man would come in and lose his poo poo all over again, I pretended to not understand what the problem was and say that the numbers were the right way up.

Nothing to do with crappy construction, that image just jogged an old memory.

A local store near me offered a dog grooming service under the name "Shampoochies." They also sold other pet supplies, including straw for large animal bedding or whatever you use straw for. Both these services were advertised on the letter board, and the M in Shampoochies was an upside-down W, while the W in straw was an upside down M.

It might not have been so noticeable if those weren't the only two words on the board.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Found a picture of the owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dareon posted:

A local store near me offered a dog grooming service under the name "Shampoochies." They also sold other pet supplies, including straw for large animal bedding or whatever you use straw for. Both these services were advertised on the letter board, and the M in Shampoochies was an upside-down W, while the W in straw was an upside down M.

It might not have been so noticeable if those weren't the only two words on the board.

Those people were doing god's work.