Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rhesus Pieces posted:

1. polo shirt tucked into a pair of dockers
2. clipboard

congrats, you’re now a consultant and will be welcomed into any office in North America no questions asked

This is unfair to Latin Americans (excluding Québec).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

at Facebook the sysadmins got locked out and they couldn’t get in when the site went down. that sounded funny.

oh yeah i remember that, iirc it was something really stupid like their internal logins used their employees' facebook accounts because zuckerberg is an idiot so the facebook authentication servers meant their internal stuff was hosed

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

oh yeah i remember that, iirc it was something really stupid like their internal logins used their employees' facebook accounts because zuckerberg is an idiot so the facebook authentication servers meant their internal stuff was hosed

They couldn't even open the doors without the facebook servers.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

internet of things... in the cloud

how can anyone think that any of that bullshit is a good idea

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Lone Badger posted:

including the doors to the server rooms where they could override the auth for the doors.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

imagine getting stuck inside the metaverse because of the same part of the code bugging out somewhere down the line

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

more falafel please posted:

including the doors to the server rooms where they could override the auth for the doors.

Fortunately reality has an unpatched priviliege-escalation security flaw that allows manipulation of restricted objects by creating a physics interaction with an owned object.

The Lone Badger has issued a correction as of 05:27 on May 31, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did they end up shopping for power tools to cut through the door?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Saucer Hovers posted:

"download wikipedia"

yeah this is a thing. i got a full rip last year, it's only like 19 gigs zipped

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could probably get it down to 7-8GB if you leave out the articles about anime.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah this is a thing. i got a full rip last year, it's only like 19 gigs zipped
:thunk:
how big is the something awful forums archive

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
how big is the something awful forums archive

Jeffrey, release the torrent

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The bitch rear end electric scooter app let me put money on it and install the app at 1 am and then won't let me rent a fully charged scooter because it's not 6 am. I hate the future.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

munce posted:

internet of things... in the cloud

how can anyone think that any of that bullshit is a good idea

zuckerberg wants people to use their facebook accounts for absolutely everything, why wouldn't he make his employees do that?

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

The bitch rear end electric scooter app let me put money on it and install the app at 1 am and then won't let me rent a fully charged scooter because it's not 6 am. I hate the future.

that's stupid as hell.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Shear Modulus posted:

that's stupid as hell.

I went to the park high at 1 am for the sole purpose of riding one of the stupid scooters the park is always littered with at all hours of the night.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I went to the park high at 1 am for the sole purpose of riding one of the stupid scooters the park is always littered with at all hours of the night.

take one, that's littering. finders keepers! I'm sure you could wire the electric motor directly and bypass all the tech junk. throw the computer chips in the lake, they will tattle on you

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 07:28 on May 31, 2022

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
there are articles out there that illustrate in detail how to field strip those scooters

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

You can rip out the board on a Bird scooter and replace it with one for a Xiaomi M365 for under $30.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

You can rip out the board on a Bird scooter and replace it with one for a Xiaomi M365 for under $30.

...go on? They owe me $5 now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

...go on? They owe me $5 now.
Order the board and a charger, steal legally acquire a Bird scooter, and put the new one in.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GWBBQ posted:

...there's one that's been in a creek near me for a bit, I might refurbish it. Thanks for the tip.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/samuel_wade/status/1531802156914708480

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Scratch-and-sniff confirmed for iPhone 14.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

In my head canon, someone's face too closely matches the dog's rear end, so they blurred it out of respect for dog rear end face person's privacy, but the dog face was an outlier that was pruned.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
automated captions at a graduation ceremony censoring the word "cum" in "cum laude"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rutibex posted:

I have the feeling the internet is just gonna stop working one morning, and every computer with WiFi will be bricked. some kind of doomsday computer flaw that russian hackers will deploy if pushed too far

Now Vlad is my best friend

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Waffle House posted:

...there's one that's been in a creek near me for a bit, I might refurbish it. Thanks for the tip.
You could probably wash it and get it completely cleaned and running with a bath of R-34A/Tetreafluroethane/Freon, but there is no way you could possibly justify the environmental impact unless you had a way to completely recapture) recycle the Freon. If you want to scavenge anything with a lithium battery, you're better off letting it just dry out and pull it apart for the electronics, aluminum, and lithium batteries.

If you want to just start one, I can't recommend you actually do it, but you're better off just picking them up off the sidewalk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone have that "if I'm forced to use crypto to pay for things I will become a terrorist" tweet handy?

Unsurprisingly my searches for crypto + become a terrorist aren't working so well

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

try yandex

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1531780060587429888

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well yeah.

Of course they’d censor a politician’s face.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

death stranding 2 is gonna be lit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Big fan of the pointless flashing pink lights and the fever dream aesthetic, too bad it sucks rear end otherwise

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so they put a creepy goat head on one of those Big Dog robots that have existed forever. bravo Japan, problem solved

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
why clean up obstacles and make society more wheelchair accessible when we could just shove the olds in a tachikoma

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GWBBQ posted:

You could probably wash it and get it completely cleaned and running with a bath of R-34A/Tetreafluroethane/Freon, but there is no way you could possibly justify the environmental impact unless you had a way to completely recapture) recycle the Freon. If you want to scavenge anything with a lithium battery, you're better off letting it just dry out and pull it apart for the electronics, aluminum, and lithium batteries.

If you want to just start one, I can't recommend you actually do it, but you're better off just picking them up off the sidewalk

If I'm replacing the logic board, I may as well replace the battery pack while I have it apart; it seems like a good idea on anything upcycled like that.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Kawasaki was supposed to be developing an electric motorcycle

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Actuary X posted:

No, no

Goatorcycle

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Actuary X posted:

Nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how half-arsed the elder-aid and transport explanations are. Dude just wanted to build a robot deer, and then came up with excuses afterwards.