Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I have to find this sweet spot where I can have some fun off ship and my wife doesn't worry too much. I accomplish this by going to tourist traps and dressing like the love child of Miami Vice Don Johnson and Andy Bernard.

:perfect:

Waikiki is pretty nice, I'm pretty biased towards Lanikai though since it was a quick hop over from Kbay whenever our squadron detted out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I miss waikiki and dream of moving back all the time.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Waikiki is alright just because so much is within walking distance and driving and parking in Honolulu is a nightmare. But Oahu sucks in general because the whole island is overcrowded as gently caress. Though I do miss walking into Teddy's and having them start making a large peanut butter milkshake with extra peanut butter before I even made it to the counter.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:perfect:

Waikiki is pretty nice, I'm pretty biased towards Lanikai though since it was a quick hop over from Kbay whenever our squadron detted out there.

Waimanalo Beach is probably my favorite. Plate lunch at kenekes or waiahole poi factory. Though being haole as all hell I’d probably live in lanikai if I ever win the lottery.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

man do i miss some plate lunch.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Living on Oahu with my employees being from Japan was like a fuckin post-doc course in racsim

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

MonkeyFit posted:

Waikiki is alright just because so much is within walking distance and driving and parking in Honolulu is a nightmare. But Oahu sucks in general because the whole island is overcrowded as gently caress. Though I do miss walking into Teddy's and having them start making a large peanut butter milkshake with extra peanut butter before I even made it to the counter.

TEDDDY'S loving thank you I could not for the life of me remember the name of the place with the awesome burgers! I even grabbed a couple bottles of Kilauea Fire Sauce at the big NEX, without being able to identify where I knew it from, just knowing that it slaps.

E: I walked down to the penelty box to pay my respects to the husk of Mama's (actually called Happy's, but real ones know the truth). I hope her hot granddaughters are doing okay. Yeah Mama, I want manay-chee on that. Always.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 25, 2022

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Living on Oahu with my employees being from Japan was like a fuckin post-doc course in racsim

Took me a while to see this objectively growing up there but once you see how the character of racism follows the plantation structure, it’s harder to see racism as a aspect of culture instead of labor. For instance, wasp plantation owners would change their source countries for labor intentionally to prevent workers from organizing and brought in a white but not really “white” group Portugal to be the overseers. Generations later those structures still show up in the culture.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My ability to understand that report is non-existent, so I found this video helpful: https://youtu.be/IPr7Yrwgly4

I can't attest to the accuracy or usefulness of it, so if one of you could chime in it'd be nice to be able to gauge it's value as an interpretation of the report.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

TEDDDY'S loving thank you I could not for the life of me remember the name of the place with the awesome burgers! I even grabbed a couple bottles of Kilauea Fire Sauce at the big NEX, without being able to identify where I knew it from, just knowing that it slaps.

Someone opened a franchise in Iowa City, the only location on the mainland. But their website does say franchising is available if anyone is looking to do so.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

:getin:

E: This wake n' bake cashier is WAY better at taking orders than this day drunk sailor is at making them.

E^2: gently caress me this burger deserves the right to vote.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 26, 2022

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

It used to be an 8 min walk from my apartment door on the 23rd floor to that Teddy's. Good memories. I actually miss that apartment, even if it hadn't been renovated since the mid 80s. It had an absolutely amazing view looking across the canal over the golf course and mountains.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Every once in a while I browse r/navy and see all the bitch threads just to remind myself how easy and awesome my life is now, but once in a while I find these boot gems.

I'm trying to parse what OP thinks will happen, like will his veteran relatives be like "we could almost be proud of you for getting this far but you didn't get your community service ribbon or expert rifle medal and that's the difference between us loving you and telling you that you're a piece of poo poo boot."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/the_sailor_dog/status/1531075884689539073?s=20&t=Qwdj9AvcyTbgHu2sQ12Z7A

RIP Crabdad

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I'm at mayport this week and I think I need a haircut since all of these loving junior Sailors keep asking me questions like I'm goddamned gandalf

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasn’t me. I was working on Sailor-Marine relations by chugging beers with them. I walked by some random butter bar navy in Central Park sitting a bench with his head rolling around. His cover was still on so I tossed him a salute and he was a little slow but managed. Never did see who he was with.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of my best friends who was also an HM, normally a very friendly and laid bad midwesterner, almost got into a fight with a young Marine who was telling him what his MOS at some lovely bar in Portsmouth. For whatever reason that was the final straw for my friend and he started unloading on guy about how he doesn’t know what the stupid number means and nor does he care and how much marines are up their own assholes.

Nothing to do with anything other than the sailor marine fight reminded me of him lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1531330871814389760?s=20&t=T_2ptdqeHq1ZrPJ2JB11Eg

We often forget the importance of the ocean

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Wasn’t me. I was working on Sailor-Marine relations by chugging beers with them. I walked by some random butter bar navy in Central Park sitting a bench with his head rolling around. His cover was still on so I tossed him a salute and he was a little slow but managed. Never did see who he was with.

You say this but you keep showing up in places like you are Gandalf

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Look to crabdads coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Unfortunately, the sun will not reflect from a warfare pin, so you'll need to squint.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

With Crabdad's insane good luck he is going to come to and find out he has been meritoriously advanced to MCPON.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Unfortunately, the sun will not reflect from a warfare pin, so you'll need to squint.

I have a warfare pin?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
No, you nonqual. Let me pick on you in one thing, since you've had such a charmed navy career.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Actually, why don't you have your IW pin?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

I have a warfare pin?

Shipmate, you can’t be successful at life without your pin.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Actually, why don't you have your IW pin?

GOOD QUESTION.

So check out my awesome excuses.

My parent active unit doesn’t support us coming out and working where we can get signatures.

As for SW pin….. comedy of errors and covid made all the people who could legit sign my books disappear before I could finish. Didn’t wanna gun deck poo poo and feel dishonest about it so gently caress me I guess?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

How in the goddamn gently caress are you a first loving class and you won't even loving gundeck your loving PQS are you loving kidding me? You consider unfucking your poo poo and getting your loving books done like every-other-loving Sailor has managed to? All because you don't want to GUNDECK YOUR PQS???

FLASH FLASH FLASH they're designed to gundeck!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I had to re-enlist to transfer to pre-commission the Bush, and before that I had no intention to get the SW pin. I did not work on it at all and transferred to the Bush without it. When I made 1st class on the Bush I was force transferred and had to work with the detailer. He would not or could not send me to another ship in Virginia which was a real loving problem because my wife was in the middle of college at the time and all our life plans were based on the obliserve I had to do to get to the Bush. Well, the detailer really wants to send me to prototype and tells me that is what he intends to do. Lucky for me since the ship had just been commissioned there was a huge line for board for the ESWS pin and I threw out my qual books. The detailer could not send me to prototype without the pin and so I "lucked" into NRMD Norfolk, which turned out to be a fuckjob, but oh well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol NYC firefighter rig gave me a ride to the subway. Toot toot! Had dinner with and mobilization buddy and his crew.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I never drew the firemain on my first ship because the guy signing PQS just signed at the top and drew a line straight down not looking at what it was after teaching us about nozzles or some poo poo. Then we got Crab Dad here.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You're talking about PQSes and he's riding a firetruck to go eat dinner. Further evidence of the real winner here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

what was it like meeting a real hero after being around military people the entire time?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Further evidence that Crab Dad must have infinite karma from a previous life :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s basically the navy version of big fish

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

You're talking about PQSes and he's riding a firetruck to go eat dinner. Further evidence of the real winner here.

Goddammit I’ve been trying for hours to put it more succinctly but I can’t. You are 100% on point, all meat, no fat.

I had a charmed Air Force career but nothing that approaches crab dad level of of charmed careers.

More people have won the Powerball than have had Crab-Dad level of charmed military careers. Like, a lot more.

I’m not jealous, I’m in loving awe of the guy. I tell random strangers about this navy reservist I know who’s playing part Forrest Gump and Part Gandalf in the Navy Reserves. None of the vets believe the stories. Neither do the civvies.

It’s just all so drat improbable. You lucky bastard.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m not jealous, I’m in loving awe of the guy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
"Hey, CrabDad, we're putting you on ADOS orders for two years, we need you to go to DC to be MCPON."

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

A tale of two enlistments - same MEPS hall same day same time and Crab Dad does this and I go to the Seabees due to every other option being shut off due to a 2007 weed charge and then multiple SOF transfers in and out of service rejected until I get fed up and leave

The moral of the story is don't serve

Fun story - JPAC or whatever their name is now requested Seabees for a recovery mission during my last deplpyment and we were set to go but our CO scrubbed it due to not wanting to put us in harm's way. That's the Seabees of today for you. Scream at a non-rate over NFAAS til they suicide but not send your people to do the work our nation needs

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

A tale of two enlistments - same MEPS hall same day same time and Crab Dad does this and I go to the Seabees due to every other option being shut off due to a 2007 weed charge and then multiple SOF transfers in and out of service rejected until I get fed up and leave

The moral of the story is don't serve

Fun story - JPAC or whatever their name is now requested Seabees for a recovery mission during my last deplpyment and we were set to go but our CO scrubbed it due to not wanting to put us in harm's way. That's the Seabees of today for you. Scream at a non-rate over NFAAS til they suicide but not send your people to do the work our nation needs

That poo poo was crazy. I hope that kid became a barber.