Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Xaris posted:

Okay I'm kind of at my wits end here. I've got Plex running on my Synology NAS all hooked up with sonarr/radarr/sabnzbg/etc and generally playing content on my LG CX oled. Starting around maybe about 9 months ago a lot of releases have started playing with green-purple hues all over everything (and if I try to watch Plex on my PC, I get "Color Space Not Supported"). I can't tell from Sonarr/Radarrs file listing what exactly is causing it but it appears to be related to Dolby Vision although it's usually not marked in file names. I've had to go through about 10 different downloads to find one that finally worked. I didn't use to have an issue with HDR content so this is really something that's only sprung up recently and no idea why HDR suddenly is loving everything up?

What the gently caress do I need to blacklist from NZBHydra/*arr programs, or is there any way to fix my LG CX/Plex such that DV content plays without it all being colored purple/green? I guess I could force requiring "SDR" in title but even that doesnt meant every listing will have it or not have it; and I kinda liked having HDR working before.

A quick Google search suggests that the CX supports Dolby Vision. Have you turned it on? I think it's off by default on most devices. Also check to see if Plex has any sort of DV settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Xaris posted:

Okay I'm kind of at my wits end here. I've got Plex running on my Synology NAS all hooked up with sonarr/radarr/sabnzbg/etc and generally playing content on my LG CX oled. Starting around maybe about 9 months ago a lot of releases have started playing with green-purple hues all over everything (and if I try to watch Plex on my PC, I get "Color Space Not Supported"). I can't tell from Sonarr/Radarrs file listing what exactly is causing it but it appears to be related to Dolby Vision although it's usually not marked in file names. I've had to go through about 10 different downloads to find one that finally worked. I didn't use to have an issue with HDR content so this is really something that's only sprung up recently and no idea why HDR suddenly is loving everything up?

What the gently caress do I need to blacklist from NZBHydra/*arr programs, or is there any way to fix my LG CX/Plex such that DV content plays without it all being colored purple/green? I guess I could force requiring "SDR" in title but even that doesnt meant every listing will have it or not have it; and I kinda liked having HDR working before.

Are the files 10Bit? That caused a lot of issues for my users and blocking 10Bit helped.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I created a tag that excludes DV from releases, and added that tag to shows that I want in HDR but not DV. I can find the exact code later but it's all laid out in trash's guides. I did this because when DV is enabled, the TV goes into a whole different mode, so I have change all the calibrations and remember to do that if I ever change them later.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I created a tag that excludes DV from releases, and added that tag to shows that I want in HDR but not DV. I can find the exact code later but it's all laid out in trash's guides. I did this because when DV is enabled, the TV goes into a whole different mode, so I have change all the calibrations and remember to do that if I ever change them later.

Thanks for this. I was having the same issue and couldn’t figure out how to block it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find the vast majority of those files are marked with .DV. or .DoVi. in the folders even if the extracted file might not. Add those to exclusions.

I can’t play DV either but I find it just easier to have Radarr and Sonarr do everything in 1080 and if I want an upgrade I’ll do it myself. If they ever implement allowing multiple versions to exist I’ll do that but I don’t really want to go down the path of multiple instances.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Xaris posted:

Starting around maybe about 9 months ago a lot of releases have started playing with green-purple hues all over everything (and if I try to watch Plex on my PC, I get "Color Space Not Supported").

I've encountered this when I tried to play extremely high-definition files. What sizes are you downloading?

Another option is to see if a particular release group is the culprit. Does the same release group's (or groups') name appear in the filename for the offending movies?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Thanks everyone. Let me see what I can do

Vykk.Draygo posted:

A quick Google search suggests that the CX supports Dolby Vision. Have you turned it on? I think it's off by default on most devices. Also check to see if Plex has any sort of DV settings.
I didn't see anything under Plex specific about DV. But let me look more at my TV settings. It wouldnt solve the issue with Plex not playing the content on other devices (i.e. PC) but at least if I could watch it without it all being purple-green that would help

Armauk posted:

I've encountered this when I tried to play extremely high-definition files. What sizes are you downloading?

Another option is to see if a particular release group is the culprit. Does the same release group's (or groups') name appear in the filename for the offending movies?
Varies but between 6gb to 24GB.

Typically I'm not seeing release groups in a lot of the file names (or at least finished file names). I'll look more at a list of ones I had to go through before

Burden posted:

Are the files 10Bit? That caused a lot of issues for my users and blocking 10Bit helped.
I think they are, but I didn't use to have an issue with 10Bit content.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 30, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s Dolby Vision. Just stop downloading Dolby Vision files.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

EC posted:

...it's all laid out in trash's guides.
Holy poo poo I know this is slightly unrelated but this guide is bonkers and now I'm going to end up following it to a T because my install on my Synology system has been wonky since I upgraded to DSM7, so thanks for this!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
They're really good guides and his sensibilities about quality and releases match mine very closely. Great defaults to use imo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s Dolby Vision. Just stop downloading Dolby Vision files.
It doesn't always list DV.

MOVIE.2022.REPACK.2160p.MA.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.HDR.HEVC-MZABI
MOVIE2.2022.2160p.HDR.WebRip.x265.10Bit.AC3.5.1-JATT

how do I know those were supposed to be a DV file?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

real_scud posted:

Holy poo poo I know this is slightly unrelated but this guide is bonkers and now I'm going to end up following it to a T because my install on my Synology system has been wonky since I upgraded to DSM7, so thanks for this!

I jumped into some *arr discord servers when I was setting up my Synology server (I had no experience with the hardware or using Docker) and those guides were basically required reading. No one would help you with questions otherwise 😂

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Xaris posted:

You can't, basically. I think Radarr can do some post unpack analysis on the file perhaps but I'm not sure if it can then detect DV and block the release/find another.

E. Looks like maybe it can now? https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/issues/4844

Aware fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 31, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I'm surprised they aren't using libmagic or ffprobe

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xaris posted:

Give real file names and not this dumb Linux.Distro poo poo and someone can check it they’re actually mislabeled DV files or if there’s something else wrong with your setup. You’re not going to be arrested.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffmpeg/comments/qe7oq1/dolby_vision_from_mkv_to_mp4_using_ffmpeg_and/

This is how you fix it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's still technically against forum rules to talk about filez. I know it's an awkward dance. At some point I'd like to work out some alternative guidance on the topic post-Lowtax, but for now, I think posting the exact Linux ISOs you're downloading is probably a bad idea. Frustrating, I know, but that's where we're at right now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Whoah whoah whoah, you can use Usenet to do what?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Xaris posted:

Okay I'm kind of at my wits end here

I had the same problem, but I found the issue (for me, anyway) was only in WEBDL and WEBRIP. Something about how they don't include the fallback format.

In Radarr I was able to take those into account, but making the following custom format, then setting it to a negative value in all of my download profiles.

code:
{
  "name": "DoVi (WEBDL)",
  "includeCustomFormatWhenRenaming": false,
  "specifications": [
    {
      "name": "Dolby Vision",
      "implementation": "ReleaseTitleSpecification",
      "negate": false,
      "required": true,
      "fields": {
        "value": "\\b(dv|dovi|dolby[ .]vision)\\b"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "WEBDL",
      "implementation": "SourceSpecification",
      "required": false,
        "value": 7
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "WEBRIP",
      "implementation": "SourceSpecification",
      "required": false,
        "value": 8
      }
    }
  ]
}
Sonarr doesn't have such a fine-grained approach, but works well enough to enable a release profile and add this under the "Must Not Contain" section:

code:
/\b(dv|dovi|dolby[ .]vision)\b/i

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is lidarr worth futzing around with? I'm getting frustrated with streaming services so I've decided to create a small collection of artists and albums in Plexamp for some of my core favorites and then use streaming just for curated playlists and music discovery. I hate the modern slow UIs and Plexamp seems a lot faster with less social bullshit and easier navigation for just browsing my music. But it seems like usenet has a lot less coverage than what I'm used to back in the old NMP3s days so I don't even know if it would be worth setting up lidarr if there just isn't much out there to grab.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Whoah whoah whoah, you can use Usenet to do what?

Have thoughtful and intelligent conversations with strangers on the internet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

If this is really it I'm going to be very annoyed, I've spent so much time going from release to release trying to get the best quality copies of whatever that I can actually get to play. All I was able to figure out was that Dolby Vision was the common element, but some DV content worked fine so it wasn't just broken.

Going to have to test this next time I get a problematic file.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Violator posted:

Is lidarr worth futzing around with? I'm getting frustrated with streaming services so I've decided to create a small collection of artists and albums in Plexamp for some of my core favorites and then use streaming just for curated playlists and music discovery. I hate the modern slow UIs and Plexamp seems a lot faster with less social bullshit and easier navigation for just browsing my music. But it seems like usenet has a lot less coverage than what I'm used to back in the old NMP3s days so I don't even know if it would be worth setting up lidarr if there just isn't much out there to grab.

Personally, I wasn't able to find anything I wanted via lidarr. There's no real standard for tagging, so it's kinda a crapshoot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah Lidarr kinda sucks through no fault of its own, just due to the nature of music on usenet being such a poo poo show. You'll be able to get new releases as they drop, but building a collection even with pretty mainstream artists is drat near impossible.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Lidarr can use A Thing That Isn't Usenet that I'm not sure if we're supposed to talk about here, and that Thing has private Things for music that are very, very, very good, but I definitely can't talk more about that here.

Violator
May 15, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Lidarr can use A Thing That Isn't Usenet that I'm not sure if we're supposed to talk about here, and that Thing has private Things for music that are very, very, very good, but I definitely can't talk more about that here.

When I switched to Usenet a decade ago I honestly quit using all of that and let all of my memberships and accounts lapse so I don't even know where or how to start on that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah Lidarr kinda sucks through no fault of its own, just due to the nature of music on usenet being such a poo poo show. You'll be able to get new releases as they drop, but building a collection even with pretty mainstream artists is drat near impossible.

I've done pretty well with Lidarr. Maybe it's cause of the indexer I use?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Lidarr has not done anything actively dumb for me in a couple of years but it's certainly not as effective or automatic as Sonarr/Radarr.

Whatever the music fork of the old Sickbeard/Couch Potato code was, that was horrific.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Headphones

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gabensraum posted:

I had the same problem, but I found the issue (for me, anyway) was only in WEBDL and WEBRIP. Something about how they don't include the fallback format.

In Radarr I was able to take those into account, but making the following custom format, then setting it to a negative value in all of my download profiles.

Sonarr doesn't have such a fine-grained approach, but works well enough to enable a release profile and add this under the "Must Not Contain" section:

code:
/\b(dv|dovi|dolby[ .]vision)\b/i
Thanks! I just stuck that into Radarr, i'll see how it turns out.

I havent had much issue with Sonarr, only came up with Severance with about half the episodes (funny enough, that was the first time I encountered the issue and I thought the show was intentionally stylized that way with green-purple until I got into an ep where it looked normal and i was like huh).

Really wish there was an easy toggle or something Plex

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What clients are people using? I can't recall any issues Apple TV using infuse/plex on my LG oleds.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I've had this with a sheild tv pro with Kodi through a denon receiver and a tcl tv. This setup works fine for dolby vision. The container compatibility problem must be what I'm hitting. I never transcode.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

Going to have to test this next time I get a problematic file.

Sure enough, had a file with the tags "WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.DV.HEVC" that was playing green on my CX. I had to grab a newer version of ffmpeg because Ubuntu still packages 4.4.x while DV support is new in 5.0, but I was then able to use the command
code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c copy -strict unofficial output.mp4
and a few seconds later I had a MP4 file that played perfectly fine.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

kri kri posted:

What clients are people using? I can't recall any issues Apple TV using infuse/plex on my LG oleds.

Infuse is god’s own media player

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I can play DV in quicktime on my mac if I remux to mp4, then I can airplay it to my appletv. Which is pretty dumb since plex should just handle it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Roku (and others?) don't support DV inside MKV. Only mp4. That's it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've been on TweakNews since I switched off Astraweb waaaay back, but they struggle to crack 25MB/sec and tonight they were dropping to low single digits while BlockNews hits a solid 50MB/sec. Is there a new top provider out there that won't listen to takedown notices?

I'm hoping for an unlimited account but I could always buy nothing but blocks, I guess? Newshosting is reputed to be faster (and have better retention) but they use the same Omicron backbone...?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 5, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shumagorath posted:

I've been on TweakNews since I switched off Astraweb waaaay back, but they struggle to crack 25MB/sec and tonight they were dropping to low single digits while BlockNews hits a solid 50MB/sec. Is there a new top provider out there that won't listen to takedown notices?

I'm hoping for an unlimited account but I could always buy nothing but blocks, I guess? Newshosting is reputed to be faster (and have better retention) but they use the same Omicron backbone...?

I'm currently using Eweka and Thundernews, both unlimited accounts. I'm probably gonna dump thundernews when it expires, I pull almost everything through Eweka.

In my experience I have to cycle through providers every 2 years or so, but it's pretty easy to find cheap deals that make that easy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just switched to Eweka as well. Newsdemon wasn’t grabbing single thing over a week old anymore.

There’s some discount codes floating around that make it ~$40/year USD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

does tweaknews even have a US server? maybe that is your problem since blocknews is fine. they are both Omicron backbone. just get frugal usenet. you get unlimited omicron plus 1.5 TBs of Usenetfarm access each month. if you pay per year you also get a free blocknews block that you can add to your blocknews account each year. so basically there is tyour main server and backup server together with one sub.