Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Definitely misread that as a machine at Subway that will make you an apple pie sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
man this grocery store has closed at 8pm for literally decades now and tonight at 10:00 with all the lights in the parking lot off, the entry door locked and the exit doors turned off so that the only way in is to pry them open by hand, no one at the registers, curtains pulled over the coolers and produce racks, and a forklift-style pallet jack parked across the front aisle, somebody pushed a cart in and began unhurriedly shopping while complaining that nobody was there to help them find the eggs.

i honestly can't decide whether they were so incredibly stupid this was honestly what they were doing, or whether they were planning to rob a grocery store but first they brought a cart in and wandered around jokingly acting like somebody who was that stupid for a while until the workers turned out to still be there, a tactic which - if we hadn't in fact still been in the back rooms getting ready to arm the alarms, if we had in fact already armed the alarms and gone home - would've gotten them arrested because they still would've been wandering around with their cart when the cops arrived

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

learnincurve posted:

Let me tell you about the subway machines that make you do apple pay sideways...
I don't know if this is the same thing you're talking about, but it certainly reminded me of the fact that there are three distinct types of card-reader EFTPOS machines and how annoying it is. Do I tap the front, the top or the side? Because if you just go on autopilot you'll do the wrong one a lot of the time. Best case scenario, you waste a little time and look stupid. But sometimes it, like, half-reads the card or something and comes up as invalid so the clerk has to reset the transaction so you can do it correctly.

Still much better than having to insert or swipe a card and enter a PIN, but having a standardised design seems like such an obvious idea that I assume there has to be some incredibly stupid reason for there not being one.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 14:16 on May 22, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
boomers don't trust the ones where you hold up to the screen, because they heard a story about how someone was walking along the street with a machine that charged your cards £20, I saw it on the telly and you should get a lead lined wallet like I do to prevent it. So the side ones came out, and because they very clearly don't work unless the card is 3mm from the machine, this fucknuts stupid lead brained generation of Luddites are more likely to use them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My favorite is the kind where I have to put my card on the screen, which is recessed and almost exactly the same shape as my card, so I get to pick my card out carefully with my fingernails afterward. :dumb:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Back around 2012 when banks started rolling out tap cards here, i'd gotten into the habit of hiding my hand under my wallet to do chip+pin, but then it'd charge the card in my wallet rather than the card I'd inserted. Got out of that habit pretty quickly

...and then i'd go to the states and they're like 'swipe the magstripe then sign this receipt' while i was slapping the POS with my card while they looked at me like i'm a goddamn idiot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Killingyouguy! posted:

Back around 2012 when banks started rolling out tap cards here, i'd gotten into the habit of hiding my hand under my wallet to do chip+pin, but then it'd charge the card in my wallet rather than the card I'd inserted. Got out of that habit pretty quickly

...and then i'd go to the states and they're like 'swipe the magstripe then sign this receipt' while i was slapping the POS with my card while they looked at me like i'm a goddamn idiot

When I moved to Canada with a US card I got the opposite. "Credit or debit?" "No just insert your chip!"

I don't understand, this is from luddite country, please let me swipe :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I opened a big bag of chips and it split down the side so I couldn't close it back up

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why would you ever have to close a bag of chips?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's family size

Do not tempt me

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Coward.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One person can be a family

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mullets and mustaches are back in style somehow and I do not like it. Just dress emo forever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd have a mullet if I could. There aren't many other haircuts that just portray "fun" more than a mullet. I like fun. I don't like doing an emo hair where my hypothetical bangs obscure 90% of my vision

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The imgur mobile site won't load on my phone, probably bc it's trying to show me some poo poo about the app. I have to pull open the drop down and check 'desktop site' every time

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

The imgur mobile site won't load on my phone, probably bc it's trying to show me some poo poo about the app. I have to pull open the drop down and check 'desktop site' every time

The constant push from every arbitrary site to use their app is my peeve.

Get hosed, at least I can use an adblocker when viewing your site through a browser, and be reasonably sure it's not phoning home my entire contact list.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
The dried fruit mix I bought has raisins, papaya, pineapple, cranberries, apricots, apples, and banana chips.

Why would anyone want a mix of soft dried fruit with the occasional really hard banana chips scattered in there?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arrath posted:

The constant push from every arbitrary site to use their app is my peeve.
This website wants to know your location.
This website wants to show you notifications.
This site uses cookies.
Please turn off your ad blocker.
Please sign up for our newsletter.
Create an account to continue reading.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Frequent large updates in games that don't even do anything. This is why I don't play your stupid loving game, because every time I try to, I have to wait like an hour to download 3 gigabytes of some random patch that does nothing I care about.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate cutesy patch and update notes for things like “we swept out all the dust bunnies and watered all the plants!! 🥰” and it’s like minor bug fixes

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

HOLY gently caress posted:

I hate cutesy patch and update notes for things like “we swept out all the dust bunnies and watered all the plants!! 🥰” and it’s like minor bug fixes

Thank you for reminding me to water my plant!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
There's a tipping point with a lot of American animated comedy series where they decide that actually what people want is lots and lots of show tunes. Here's a hint, writers, no one likes or wants show tunes!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

There's a tipping point with a lot of American animated comedy series where they decide that actually what people want is lots and lots of show tunes. Here's a hint, writers, no one likes or wants show tunes!

Stop watching Seth MacFarlane creations?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*smirks* I love showtunes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You must be mistaken; the unpopular opinion thread is that way.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
at this point, I feel like superhero deconstruction is every bit as played out and cliche as any MCU movie

what if Superman, but murders people?? is not as shocking or edgy as you think it is

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kevin Palpatine posted:

at this point, I feel like superhero deconstruction is every bit as played out and cliche as any MCU movie

what if Superman, but murders people?? is not as shocking or edgy as you think it is

What if it's, like, really gory, though

(it's me, i'm the guy that would have loving loved a straight adaptation of Wanted starring Eminem and Halle Berry as was clearly intended by the character art)

stringless has a new favorite as of 05:09 on May 31, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Along those lines, cutesy error messages that don't tepl you anything useful about what went wrong or how to fix it. "Uh oh, something went wrong! Don't worry, our tech ninjas are on the way!" yeah that's great, how about an error code or something I can use to troubleshoot the problem?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

uwu we made a fucky wucky!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I don't think anything will ever beat the "Something happened" error that came up if you tried installing Win10 with the wrong language settings.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's not like he's the only one, plenty of comedy writers seem to think that they don't need to write jokes as long as they can set lovely rhymes to music.

tee hee, they're singing about an inappropriate topic, isn't that so original and hilarious

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

And there's that other thing Family Guy does, carrying on a joke until it's well and truly run into the ground and every last drop if comedy has been wrung from its lifeless corpse.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was actually Big Mouth which triggered my post, which I don't think he has anything to do with.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bargearse posted:

Along those lines, cutesy error messages that don't tepl you anything useful about what went wrong or how to fix it. "Uh oh, something went wrong! Don't worry, our tech ninjas are on the way!" yeah that's great, how about an error code or something I can use to troubleshoot the problem?

I absolutely hate that.

Try troubleshooting a Chromecast that doesn't want to connect or randomly drops video playback. There are no logs and no error messages, no diagnostics, no connection data or statistics, nothing. Google's help pages just say that you should turn it off and on again, or factory reset it if that doesn't work.

If it still doesn't work, well I guess you're hosed. Go ask for help on the Google forums or whatever, but you'll only ever get answers from other users, who either completely misunderstand the issue, mindlessly repeat the "helpful" steps from the help pages or have the same problem and no solution.

You will never ever get help from an actual Google employee, because the big G doesn't give a poo poo.

I hate this insane dumbing-down of every piece of technology. Making things easy to use is fine, but give me a goddamn expert mode or secret admin menu or something, please!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

It's not like he's the only one, plenty of comedy writers seem to think that they don't need to write jokes as long as they can set lovely rhymes to music.

tee hee, they're singing about an inappropriate topic, isn't that so original and hilarious

If I remember right it's a money thing - a writer gets royalties if they wrote a song in a TV episode rather than just the usual script.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's also Emmy bait for "Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Direction", especially after the Buffy episode "Once More, with Feeling" got all its fairly well-deserved acclaim (then wasn't on the actual ballots and lost to the SLC Olympics opening ceremony lmao)

Also, looking at the list, there's a pretty incestuous number of wins in that category awarded to other awards ceremonies

but also it turns out Bo Burnham won it last year for Inside so that's cool

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

If it still doesn't work, well I guess you're hosed. Go ask for help on the Google forums or whatever, but you'll only ever get answers from other users, who either completely misunderstand the issue, mindlessly repeat the "helpful" steps from the help pages or have the same problem and no solution.

You will never ever get help from an actual Google employee, because the big G doesn't give a poo poo

Outsourcing support to other users is the absolute worst poo poo ever. The best result you can hope for is some "community volunteer" offering up the same textbook correct solution that you already looked up yourself, already tried, and now you're asking for support because it didn't loving work.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bargearse posted:

Outsourcing support to other users is the absolute worst poo poo ever. The best result you can hope for is some "community volunteer" offering up the same textbook correct solution that you already looked up yourself, already tried, and now you're asking for support because it didn't loving work.

And they still do this even though you specifically state in your opening post that you've already carried out the steps that they're about to recommend. Argh! I haven't gone through this in years but I'm annoyed just thinking about it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

And they still do this even though you specifically state in your opening post that you've already carried out the steps that they're about to recommend. Argh! I haven't gone through this in years but I'm annoyed just thinking about it.
Have you tried "not thinking about it" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Or the very best option, you finally find someone who has the same exact symptoms you describe on some obscure support forum somewhere and they've closed their support thread with "never mind I figured it out"