Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I found this article talking about why the Daredevil game got canceled. It's a pretty poo poo website but anyway

https://www.cbr.com/daredevil-man-without-fear-game-canceled/

Apparently, they were gonna go with a "senses" thing kind of like Arkham's detective vision, which sounds like a great way to go about it but the studio, seeing the success of Tony Hawk, wanted Matt to be grinding on ledges and telephone wires all over Hell's Kitchen and make him into a skateboarder grinding out combos

I think in the right hands, a DD game would really loving work.

Use Arkham and Spiderman as a template but tone down the grappling hook, add some parkour elements and really play into the radar poo poo where you gotta use smell, sound, heartbeats and what not. I bet you could come up with some clever puzzles where Matt has to deal with a CPU screen or know what color something is and has to figure that poo poo out using his powers.

You could mix in some lawyer stuff with some LA Noire or Phoenix Wright mechanics to help him to solve a case and then you have to play as Foggy or Karen in court with whatever Matt gave them to use. DD has to go collect evidence and beat the gently caress out of motherfuckers or stealth his way through poo poo to acquire it. Hell, the Ninjas sell themselves. The Hand is everywhere. Put in a training area with Stick that lets you unlock more powers. Make you use your environment to where you bust out lights, tap the billy club to send out sonar waves, eavesdrop on people with super hearing and poo poo like that. Have him cleverly work his way up through Kingpin's tower. Make the character have to figure out ways to progress by thinking outside the box and using his senses in creative ways that aren't always obvious.

Hallway fight challenge levels. Stilt Man and Bullseye boss fights. Unlockable red/yellow, black head scarf and Affleck costumes. Skiing levels with Elektra that get you laid and lead to more side missions.

Or just do Hulk Ultimate Destruction Remake and loving forget about it.

Someone hire me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Hallway fight challenge levels. Stilt Man and Bullseye boss fights. Unlockable red/yellow, black head scarf and Affleck costumes. Skiing levels with Elektra that get you laid and lead to more side missions.

Don't forget the playground dance off level

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You'd really have to get the balance just right with depicting Daredevil's enhanced senses and blindness vs. annoying the player. Nobody wants to play a game that's constantly red tinged, ask Nintendo about that. Give yourself a cool muted color pattern but don't go monochrome.

Since it would be a 3rd person game you don't need what the player sees to depict what the character sees, but you also don't want to waste the unique presentation a character like Daredevil gives you.

The screen gimmick would work. You could just have all paper, signs, computer screens etc. blank because Daredevil's senses can't read those. This isn't going to bother the player and even saves resources.

You could do fun things with alleys and tight quarters where you can only see so far, and not around corners or behind obstacles. That would intuitively encourage getting height when you're traversing.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 23, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You'd really have to get the balance just right with depicting Daredevil's enhanced senses and blindness vs. annoying the player. Nobody wants to play a game that's constantly red tinged, ask Nintendo about that. Give yourself a cool muted color pattern but don't go monochrome.

Since it would be a 3rd person game you don't need what the player sees to depict what the character sees, but you also don't want to waste the unique presentation a character like Daredevil gives you.

The screen gimmick would work. You could just have all paper, signs, computer screens etc. blank because Daredevil's senses can't read those. This isn't going to bother the player and even saves resources.

You could do fun things with alleys and tight quarters where you can only see so far, and not around corners or behind obstacles. That would intuitively encourage getting height when you're traversing.

Definitely. But on the other hand, most people play the Arkham games in detective mode like 75% of the time and that would fit DD.

That's a cool idea to have the files and CPU screens be blank to the player and you need Foggy or Karen to figure out what the gently caress they mean. Then half the poo poo Matt collected is stuff like chinese takeout menus or office memos telling you there's cake in the breakroom because Sally worked here 10 years and they're like "what the gently caress am I supposed to do with this? Didn't you get the receipts for the Kingpin's money laundering, Matt?"

What I'm driving at and saying is that a game like this is entirely doable and that, hell, over half of it has already been figured out in some kick rear end games that I've already mentioned.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 23, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I get where Jordan is coming from, I also finally got round to installing Miles Morales after getting it with my PS5 a year ago and I can't shake the feeling I was more impressed visually with the main game on PS4. Maybe it's just the gloomy winter setting though making everything look a bit glum, dunno. And yeah, had a few weird bugs here and there, it certainly feels rough around the edges.

But on a more positive note, Miles owns, swinging around still owns, and I've just unlocked The Best Suit so I'm more or less happy. Had to turn off its frame effect though because it was messing up my eyes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aphrodite posted:

What about a kind of hybrid "vision" system. If you are just running around, you get a muted colored, narrow view of the world around you, say 20ft. But if you use your senses that expands the field of view and maybe highlights points of interest in different colors depending on what you are using to track. Irregular heartbeats leave a red trail, running footsteps show up in blue, electric lines (for disabling lights/alarms) show up in yellow.

The advantage of concentrating on things means that you can track movement better, but the downside means that your "vision" is tougher to see the bigger picture. So you can feel someone's heartbeat, but their other identifying features are blurrier and more muted. You wouldn't want it on during combat because it limits your scope of what's happening around you. It makes dodging more difficult and the timing window for the button press is much smaller, giving you less time to react. But some enemies, like the hand ninja would rely on stealthy movement themselves, so you either have to turn on the vision briefly to get a bead on them and try and fight, or maybe there could be environmental ways to generate sounds or other ways to highlight sneaky enemies. Another disadvantage could be that while concentrating, you would be more susceptible to sonic attacks, or loud noises in general. Anyone familiar with your power set would try and take advantage. Say a flash bang would normally stun for a few seconds, but if you were concentrating, it could knock you prone, or double the stun duration.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think the grinding, Tony Hawk-esque stuff sounds too bad for Daredevil, actually. Yeah I know Sony wanted it to tie in with those moves Affleck was doing in the film but for a smaller-scale gymnast hero who needs to be differentiated from swinging Spidey it sounds good.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 24, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked at the reaction to the MM expansion, I thought it improved on the gameplay in the original and even liked it more.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

seeing the success of Tony Hawk, wanted Matt to be grinding on ledges and telephone wires all over Hell's Kitchen and make him into a skateboarder grinding out combos

Give me a Night Thrasher open-world game, cowards

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Night Thrasher’s Pro Skater.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could see a Daredevil game built like Sunset Overdrive. It'd be weird but I could see it working

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
while daredevil is grinding maybe he can listen to edm and tell people it's NBD

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
His enhanced hearing would mean he would be more knowledgeable of "what the kids were saying these days."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/1530598515415588865?s=20&t=tYEfHOO2eHyJcxHEV0lLgQ

cowards

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supposedly they're redoing some of the stuff around Barbara after the criticism of how they wrote her recovery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Supposedly they're redoing some of the stuff around Barbara after the criticism of how they wrote her recovery.

I think what they said is basically "The profile we wrote was really really badly worded and implied something that wasn't the case, we're going to clarify to make sure that isn't the case."

There's still problems there but unfortunately they're kind of baked into the loving choice to have Babs "get better" so she could be Batgirl again because nostalgia demands it. It's always going to be one of those lingering things over the character because as lovely as the story that caused it treated her, Oracle was a turn for the character that a lot of people really liked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's nowhere near big enough.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shameful rear end for Nightwing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah, now we know the reason the game was pushed to this year. It was a little behind.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Just use Cain. Or Stephanie. Sick of Barbara. She's cool, but she's not a loving Ninja who literally thinks punching someone is how you say hello or a teenage girl who has to live with the struggle of having a republican dad-sorry, a supervillain. (Those are the same thing.)

Also Stephanie being a teenager would make her interactions with everyone else (who are adults) funny. Nightwing complaining about kids these days while Barbara is the only one internet savvy enough to get her jokes (she's Oracle in this timeline), and the thugs just want to punch her face in for knowing what a Blorbo is and saying Hella once.

How have we gone this far in the series without translating Cain's unique power to the awesome Arkham gameplay? HOW? I wanna see her snap peoples arms while standing up by just clinching her leg around their arm, and then moving sharply. Be like Tony Jaa in The Protector, but with less transphobia. loving awesome she would be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All good points but I feel like Barbara is the easy choice because of name recognition and sex appeal.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

All good points but I feel like Barbara is the easy choice because of name recognition and sex appeal.

Yeah it's a vicious cycle that DC can't get away from

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is anybody really jazzed for this new Arkham game?

It's the first one in the whole series I just have a big yawn on for, especially since they announced it's not coming out for older consoles. Really weird to find myself not giving a gently caress about it and I aint dropping 4 or 5 hundred bucks to play it.

Really like to see a developer do something with Hulk, Daredevil or even Dr. Strange, Superman or Green Lantern and give us something a little new to freshen up the genre. How about a cool Aquaman game with underwater poo poo that's fun? Christ, a Green Arrow or Hawkeye game centered around archery and sniping fools might work.

Or a proper sequel to that awesome Wolverine game that flew under the radar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

They're putting out a Barbara Batgirl live action movie so yeah, that's who you're going to see as Batgirl in games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic, which puts me at odds with most on the internet where you either need to be salivating with anticipation like it's Bonestorm or sending death threats to the devs for getting things so wrong.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BiggerBoat posted:

To be... fair, they are adamant it's not a new Arkham game. Given the setup for the game story, I think that's a weird choice, but whatever. I wouldn't mind that if it looked any good. :shrug:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BiggerBoat posted:

Both studios lost me with Knight, and now its been 7 years since they put out anything. Suicide Squad and/or Gotham Knights need to be excellent for me to care again, but it's not looking likely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This game is going to come out at a very interesting time, or potentially interesting, because WB's games division is supposedly up for sale. By the time it's released it could be under new ownership.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BiggerBoat posted:

Or a proper sequel to that awesome Wolverine game that flew under the radar.

Good news! :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcj9AzHv_l8

I wouldn't expect it to be as violent as the old game, though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea what weird poo poo happened that allowed Punisher to put people in a wood chipper 15 years ago and now it's back to Mario stomping on heads in comparison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grem posted:

Yea what weird poo poo happened that allowed Punisher to put people in a wood chipper 15 years ago and now it's back to Mario stomping on heads in comparison.

I mean the answer is "A lot of different people owned the rights and Marvel wasn't the all-consuming behemoth of culture it is now."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think video games in general have mellowed out a bit in the super-HD era too. Now the kind of excessively hyper gore that was pretty common place way back when is only either found in Mortal Kombat or... uh, 1st party Sony cinematic games, oddly enough.

Understandably so, I'd say, given how much more "realistic" graphics are now, there's a bit less "Haha, exploding meat puppets" nowadays and more "Boy that looks actually pretty traumatic". Video games have gone from their maximum level of violence looking like Evil Dead to (potentially) looking like the kinda poo poo that'd earn an X rating for violence.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The environmental kills in sleeping dogs owned. But later on that game was actually censored for the German market and took those away. I'd imagine Disney would want to avoid such a hassle.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Even the Punisher game went into black and white if you killed folks in the interrogations if I recall correctly? Was only PC where you could edit that part out and see them in colour.

I think you don't see the lesser known heroes starring in games is cause those games would kinda be B tier games and there's no/very few studios making games at that level these days, especially licensed games. It's either mobile or AAA games with very little in between.

I'm curious to see more of the Firaxis Marvel game, I should be right in the target audience for that game but the reveal kinda left me cold.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1532485763526443008

I might just buy it on PC too!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

My strategy of never owning a Sony product because they murdered digital game sharing in it's crib continues to pay off!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Suit mods are gonna be so dope

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah the world is ready for actually naked spider-man

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Modders working around the clock to get the webswinging dick jiggle physics right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I will only accept a mod that changes it so that he shoots webbing out of his dick.