Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I shelled out for GP8 the other day, it’s way more than I need but has some great features.

I’ve been using .73 and .88 tortex picks forever and want to see what else is out there. What should I try?

I’ve got most of the standard tortex/gator sizes but there are like a billion other styles, materials etc.

Jazz Tone 205 (or other shapes)

I tried these after someone here recommended them and they are my new favorite. Previously I was using the black tortex jazz iii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have a collection of guitar pro files I've fixed up in either guitar pro itself, or in Musescore. Very handy, also handy to play along with a midi band even though it sounds .... Bad.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I use goplayalong, which let's you synch real audio to gp files. A few years ago when I was playing bass in a lovely cover band that software was crucial to me for learning songs quickly. It doesn't really work as an gp file editor, though, which is why I also have guitarpro

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Any idea if you can use the same Guitar Pro 8 license for both macOS and Windows? I'd like to be able to run it both on my Windows desktop and on my M1 Air but I don't reeeeally want to buy two licenses.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Speaking of UltimateGuitar tabs. Who are all these people submitting tabs to UG to sit behind a paywall? Do tab creators get paid?

Presumably they want people to see and use their tabs but iirc you either use the crappy web interface or need to pay for the app. What’s the incentive for tab makers?

Opinion posted to a paywalled and mostly unindexed forum but actually it is a blessing so no one needs to read my scorching hot take

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hellblazer187 posted:

I use goplayalong, which let's you synch real audio to gp files. A few years ago when I was playing bass in a lovely cover band that software was crucial to me for learning songs quickly. It doesn't really work as an gp file editor, though, which is why I also have guitarpro

This looks neat but maybe Soundslice is better as that can connect to YouTube (and Spotify?)? I don’t really have music files anymore.

It’s weird this isn’t a feature in GP or at least a plug-in. I sort of manually do it myself but it’s clumsy and often not in sync.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Speaking of UltimateGuitar tabs. Who are all these people submitting tabs to UG to sit behind a paywall? Do tab creators get paid?

Presumably they want people to see and use their tabs but iirc you either use the crappy web interface or need to pay for the app. What’s the incentive for tab makers?

Opinion posted to a paywalled and mostly unindexed forum but actually it is a blessing so no one needs to read my scorching hot take

Don't have confirmation but since they went to a pay model I suspect all the guitar pro stuff on there is commissioned and they'll be paid per transcription (probably not much). It's not like the old days where anybody could just chuck any tab up there, although no doubt they're still using the old user submitted ones too.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i got a trial of the UG thing so i could look at the official tabs and a lot of them were kind of a let down.

it was the same sort of like b tier tabs where it’d be more or less accurate but like you couldn’t always count on them to put positioning that made complete sense, or get inversions right

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
UG is leaving me in a weird place, because I'll look up a song and it's either gibberish, indecipherable or at the other extreme so simplified it's boring to play. So I'm in this kind of wasteland where strumming open chords is boring, but I'm not competent at listening by ear yet.

I'm kind of not sure where to go after playing "seriously" for 18 months.I feel I should be learning more songs to diagnose issues and put theory and techniques into practice and actually have some fun. I'm working with a teacher on tightening up rhythm stuff, but I'm finding songs I like are kind of out of reach, but that serves me right for liking obtuse indie and arty punk. I picked up a Paul Westerberg and The Replacements songbook yesterday and its way more intimidating than I hoped.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Back to YouTube channels, I wanted to throw a mention of Guitar Salon International's channel. They post a new classical guitar performance most every day, and aside from just being good music, I've also bought transcriptions of some of my favorites to learn myself. Good stuff.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

UG is leaving me in a weird place, because I'll look up a song and it's either gibberish, indecipherable or at the other extreme so simplified it's boring to play. So I'm in this kind of wasteland where strumming open chords is boring, but I'm not competent at listening by ear yet.

I'm kind of not sure where to go after playing "seriously" for 18 months.I feel I should be learning more songs to diagnose issues and put theory and techniques into practice and actually have some fun. I'm working with a teacher on tightening up rhythm stuff, but I'm finding songs I like are kind of out of reach, but that serves me right for liking obtuse indie and arty punk. I picked up a Paul Westerberg and The Replacements songbook yesterday and its way more intimidating than I hoped.
I might have to pick up that Replacements book, but I imagine there's a lot of alternate tuning stuff that I don't know that I want to deal with.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

The Leck posted:

I might have to pick up that Replacements book, but I imagine there's a lot of alternate tuning stuff that I don't know that I want to deal with.

Paul uses open G a lot, usually with a capo, but he didn't change guitars much when I saw the reunion. Gets a lot easier to work out their stuff once you realise he's just moving the same few shapes around the fretboard and sometimes droning it against an open string. Bob and Slim were nearly always in standard.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Leck posted:

So far, only for Alex Chilton which is in open A. It's like 70% Replacements 30% solo Westerberg and has some weird song selection choices (no Answering Machine or Swinging Party?!), but they're not the most documented band, especially in the UK.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 31, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

firefox's "reader mode" does a good job of stripping all the bullshit on UG

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

e
b
g -999
d ------99999666
a-----------------------77777
e

looks basically like complete gibberish to me.

same, it takes me a long time to get thru a tab. instead, i like to look up the chords and use my ear for the rest.

But it's beside the point, because when learning solos note for note, you are meant toJustin Guitar says to slow it down and learn it by ear, not by looking up the tabs.

EDIT: dear reader, i will amend my post to clarify my meaning. thank you for your indulgence, treasured reader of my posts! :worship:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 1, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Stop saying "you're meant" when you mean "you should".

Edit: Also y'all are meant to stop saying "I need" when you mean "I want".

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Siivola posted:

Stop saying "you're meant" when you mean "you should".

Edit: Also y'all are meant to stop saying "I need" when you mean "I want".

oh hey a few years ago in discord i said "modulate to relative minor" or something to that effect and you said "is it really a modulation if it's the same key?" and i think about that all the time because i was reading a music theory textbook later and it described it to me as this: even though the key signature is the same, major -> relative minor is actually further away than parallel minor, because the tonic note is changing. to get to the relative minor, you still generally take advantage of the descending fifth or ascending fourth to tonicize the new note, it's just that the chords are diatonic so you can do it a little more stealthily. but it is a modulation because the tonic note is changing

i'm not mad about it i just wanted to resolve this

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

landgrabber posted:

oh hey a few years ago in discord i said "modulate to relative minor" or something to that effect and you said "is it really a modulation if it's the same key?" and i think about that all the time because i was reading a music theory textbook later and it described it to me as this: even though the key signature is the same, major -> relative minor is actually further away than parallel minor, because the tonic note is changing. to get to the relative minor, you still generally take advantage of the descending fifth or ascending fourth to tonicize the new note, it's just that the chords are diatonic so you can do it a little more stealthily. but it is a modulation because the tonic note is changing

i'm not mad about it i just wanted to resolve this
Oh! Interesting, thanks!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

for example, the iii chord is rarely used and it’s because it kind of sounds weird going to anything, almost, or you get stepwise movement which can be a bit odd in chord progressions since literally every note changes.

i love the iii chord cause it's an easy way to get movement from the tonic, just drop the root a half step. i use it all the time! even used it in a song i'm writing today

stuff about common tones is very good, i'll probably be using that as well today.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway i would like to tell the thread that i am getting much better about not just using barre/power chords everywhere.

have gotten much better with some of the little triad shapes, some of their inversions, that sort of stuff. it's really really cool and gets me some different sounds.

it's really cool to take the basic open/zombie chord shapes and make them interesting.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

-nvm sorry-

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm only like 200 pages behind so forgive me if this comes up on the reg:

How are Luna acoustics generally regarded? I was real fond of one I played locally and I'm real close to ordering one of the Luna Art Vintage dreadnoughts.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gooch181 posted:

How are Luna acoustics generally regarded? I was real fond of one I played locally and I'm real close to ordering one of the Luna Art Vintage dreadnoughts.

They're fine for inexpensive guitars- not much different than anything else in the price point.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gooch181 posted:

With affordable acoustics, the two biggest things are 1) does it have a solid top and 2) does it feel good in your hands and to your ears.

I don't know much about Lunas specifically (I have a Luna uke, it's fine), but Sweetwater says that one has a solid top and you say you liked it, so it sounds like a good choice.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm just trying to step up from my Squire so that sounds okay to me. Anything else around $400 or so I should ponder? I've honestly been hard to impress; I played some Yamahas a few days ago but didn't like the way I felt like I as scratching the fretboard when I'd bend. I've played a fair number of acoustics over the past few weeks and that Luna was the only one I lost track of time with so far.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ohhh nice, I'll have to check that out. Rad with the cloud stuff. Part of the reason I use musescore is that it (somewhat) works on the Linux stuff I have on my Chromebook and it was much easier than trying to find an app.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gooch181 posted:

I'm just trying to step up from my Squire so that sounds okay to me. Anything else around $400 or so I should ponder? I've honestly been hard to impress; I played some Yamahas a few days ago but didn't like the way I felt like I as scratching the fretboard when I'd bend. I've played a fair number of acoustics over the past few weeks and that Luna was the only one I lost track of time with so far.

Nah. If you like this one, then it's a good one. Spending another $100 isn't going to get you a 30% better instrument. If you walked into the store with a $400 budget and fell in love with a $300 guitar, don't feel like you're missing out on anything noteworthy for your money.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spending $1000 might get you a 25% better instrument. Spending $2000 might get you 25% better than that. Spending $4k might get you 10% past there.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Sounds like this is the price point for me. Thanks yall.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I feel much better about looking at great videos or whatever if I do it after my practice for the day.

Edit: Just ordered something I don't really need lfg

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 1, 2022

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I tried to be responsible but I slipped and fell right into that order button, the damndest thing

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gooch181 posted:

I tried to be responsible but I slipped and fell right into that order button, the damndest thing

i wouldn't be mad if that thing showed up at my door..

I've bought sight unseen several times, but I was told "go to the store, play all the instruments there, and leave with the one that sounds/plays the best (that you can afford)". The idea: instruments vary in quality, even within the same make and model, so it pays to spend the time finding a S-tier one.

I think QC has come a long way since that bit of received wisdom was first proffered! I bought a few guitars sight-unseen and it was almost always a very fine instrument. Bet the Luna is gonna be a good one too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've heard great things about Luna guitars, and they're one of the only brands doing interesting stuff with acoustics out there

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

so i spent a ton of time today playing guitar but more important just investigating high string triads. practicing them, seeing how they sound, trying to move them to each other.

i love how they sound, so that's really cool. they make a lot of tab parts for songs make sense. i think i'm on a better track now and i kinda figured out what i want to do to learn the fretboard more and maybe get better at moving on it.

currently the plan is to write those out and try to move them to each other -- just basic poo poo of "i'm gonna play this song but in high string triads". as far as scales and arpeggios go, i realized that probably the most beneficial thing to me at this point would actually be to pick a box or a segment of the fretboard or something, and just get used to arpeggiating each chord that's diatonic to that key in that position. that way it's not just, "i have the c major scale here" but like, i know where i can get an F, an Am, a B diminished, and so on. and then it's easy to expand that out.

i think i had a hard time conceptualizing how to learn scales, because there was part of my brain that thinks of melodies as different from harmony. but it's all based around chords, and the interplay between what you're sketching out, and the chords underneath.

so yes kind of a big day. i don't push myself to like, sit there for six hours a day and hyperfocus on guitar, because that's how you ruin your love of the instrument. but man, when it happens, like it did today, it's a beautiful thing.

i kinda realized recently that the biggest thing that hooks me into songs or music in general, is just really lovely harmony. specific and expressive, where the chord movement is where a lot of the emotion is. so i'm having a lot of fun learning to write with that, and expanding my fluency in being able to pull really lovely harmony out of midair.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 1, 2022

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

But it's beside the point, because when learning solos note for note, you are meant toJustin Guitar says to slow it down and learn it by ear, not by looking up the tabs.

What's used to slow them down?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
YouTube will slow videos, that's one easy way.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
For slowing down songs, Justin suggests using a shareware app called Transcribe! to do it.

But Reaper (and other DAWs) can also do this. And VLC player can do it too.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i like when i try to learn blue album solos and for most of it it’s like “oh this is really simple actually” and then the last couple measures are just insane shred that i can’t get right

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most of the insane shred is actually just playing random poo poo in the key just based off muscle memory of patterns. Turns out that only a few dudes actually know what they're doing and can play that stuff note for note repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

so my method of “hitting all the highlights/important stuff and improvising the rest by trying to actually add interesting harmony” still wins. sick