Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Mr. Lobe posted:

not if you have dietary restrictions, which she does on account of being vegan

Fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Armitag3 posted:

Baffled here but if you live with others in a house isn’t it weird that you want your own private food stash instead of partaking in the communal household food?

That's fine up to a point, but if you can't buy ingredients to use or make a particular item for yourself without it consistently disappearing by the next morning there's a problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Food isn't an interchangeable commodity, especially when there are medical needs involved. Also these people were eating food she had already prepared for herself or for some specific purpose

They say they pay rent to live there, how much rent and how far below market? They should probably move somewhere else and take the financial hit just for the peace of mind, if they can

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Armitag3 posted:

Baffled here but if you live with others in a house isn’t it weird that you want your own private food stash instead of partaking in the communal household food?

No?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

snergle posted:

lots of people refuse to get on aca either because of maga poo poo or because your in your 20s and cant afford 300/mo to subsidize the olds getting surgery then its all different per state which makes it huge hassle in some and a breeze + cheap in others.

Way back when the ACA plans first rolled out I looked into the marketplace, and the base premiums were insanely expensive for what you got and I never could figure out what would be the actual final price.

I didn't want to finalize the process only to find out the amount over the 9.5% of wages cap would only subsidized by a tax break.

I think now there is like 1 or 2 plans left on the marketplace and they are absolute crap.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

teen witch posted:

Fenris was my beef thief.

She was relentless when it came to beef, like she’d look me dead in the eye and try and take a chomp out of a brisket.
Truly, a Good Cat

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Armitag3 posted:

Not necessarily. It's usually not this extreme, but it's pretty normal to want your own personal snacks that you know won't have been eaten. Sometimes you just want a bag of chips or some chocolate, and to know that these snacks will be where you expect them to be and won't have been eaten by a sibling.

OP apparently is dealing with the other extreme, where they cannot have any food in the house that is theirs without it being literally locked up if they want it to be there when they look away for five seconds. "Ate half of the cake I got for my friend's birthday", jfc, what the gently caress.

haveblue posted:

Food isn't an interchangeable commodity, especially when there are medical needs involved. Also these people were eating food she had already prepared for herself or for some specific purpose

They say they pay rent to live there, how much rent and how far below market? They should probably move somewhere else and take the financial hit just for the peace of mind, if they can

Yeah. This is to the point where OP needs to move out, with or without the boyfriend. The family has made it clear that she doesn't get to have her own food or even bring any food into the house, and it's clearly a group effort. Maybe the family just hates her, who knows. But they're refusing to respect her food, and hands have been thrown over that sort of poo poo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

How to deal with bf's family eating our food?

How did the boyfriend not know his family was like this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beachcomber posted:

How did the boyfriend not know his family was like this?

People get used to this poo poo and internalise it as normal. I'll always remember a story from a while back possibly from a goon about confronting a chronic food thief at work, and he actually had to have explained to him from first principles the concept of respecting other people's property in a communal space, because when growing up in his family they'd do anything up to snatch food from other people's mouths.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My boyfriend wants me to move in but I find his house disgusting

quote:

TL;DR - My otherwise perfect boyfriend has no standards of cleanliness for his house and it is making me find excuses to put off moving in.

Hi everyone, first of all I know that the title is really harsh but please allow me to explain.

My boyfriend (23m) and I (25f) have been seeing each other for just over a year now. I absolutely adore him, he is my best friend and I admire him as a person as much as I am completely in love with him. Yes he is younger, but he is completely gorgeous, funny, intelligent, kind, principled, interesting and unique and I want nothing more than for him to be in my life long term and to be the best girlfriend I can possibly be to him.

There is one issue though. He part bought his own house (part ownership new buid scheme in the UK) in October and I have been spending a 2-3 nights a week here. I repay him by buying most household / cleaning things, buying and cooking some of our meals, cleaning and tidying most times I am round, doing general favours and trying to get him small gifts most weeks.

For the most part, I have a really good time when I am round aside from the stress that our different standards of hygiene and tidyness causes me - especially as he is really keen for me to move in and start helping him to pay off the mortgage. I am currently living back with my parents whilst undertaking teacher training. I would be so enthusiastic about the idea of having a sleepiver with my favourite person every night if it wasn’t for the state of his house.

It is a nice house in a great area, but he just does not seem to feel any need to clean it. When you walk in the floor is immediately covered in a couple of boxes of random things, letters that have been opened and chucked on the floor, toolboxes from his work as an electrician and rubbish meant for the recycling. Every room has random mess on the floor along with nails, screws, bits of wire etc. The kitchen counters are always filthy, covered in bits of food unless I have cleaned them that day and he hasn’t got round to cooking again yet. He washes up when he needs the stuff but often leaves the sink a disgusting food and grease covered mess (I feel really harsh saying all this). You can’t walk from the front door to the other side of the house without the bottom of your socks becoming yellow - brown.

Most rooms are a genuine health and safety hazard with the amount of random things on the floor and there are some furniture items I haven’t got round to yet that are covered in thick layers of dust and dirt, as are any skirting boards I haven’t got to. He doesn’t even clean his toilets with the cleaner and toilet brushes that I bought for him as a hint and I consequently end up literally cleaning his poo poo up for him every time I am round.

I am ridiculously busy with my teacher training and all associated assignments and admin at the moment but it sometimes feels like one of my main hobbies outside of work is spending hours and hours washing up and cleaning for him just for it to go right back to how it was within a couple of hours.

I spent over 20 hours during my last school half term holiday cleaning and tidying 3 rooms and a single table heaped with stuff. Whenever he sees my cleaning he does say thank you a lot and is very grateful but makes sure to emphasise that I don’t have to do this and he’d never expect me to. The truth is, whilst I started doing it to help him as he also works a lot, it is now more for my own comfort as I’ve realised that he just does not care and makes no effort whatsoever to maintain my work. For example, he came home to a cleaned living room the other week and immediately started leaving sweet wrappers all over every surface.

I feel like I have no right to say anything to him as it is not my house and I don’t live here - I am a guest. However, early in our relationship he made a half jokey comment about how guys need a girl in their lives otherwise they’d live in squalor. He also wants me to move in as soon as possible and can’t understand why I don’t spend more time staying at his house now. Unfortunately I am too focused on being a good teacher to have the time to follow him around with a bin and a sweeping brush. I’d also quite like to have some hobbies of my own after moving in. He thinks that I am ‘OCD’ but I promise that my bar is not high at all - I’d just quite like to live in a house that wouldn’t make me feel embarrassed to have people over in.

What do I do in this situation without being naggy or controlling, or ending the relationship? If I moved in, would I end up being miserable and resentful? Thank you!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Or the gurglespurts pants, where the family's kitchen hygiene was practically nonexistent, and they'd just gotten used to constant food poisoning.

To the point where they had a cute little nickname for sharting yourself and designated sharting pants.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

surc posted:

lol what no, that dude sucks poo poo and his response was insane, but this sounds like something a bully looking for validation would say. "Hah did you see how he reacted after a thing that upset him was done to him? Totally justifies it and obviously anybody would have had to do the same, also can you imagine how easy it would be to bully him in other ways just for hyperbole I mean, maybe something about how he dresses I bet I wouldn't even have to say anything big".

Getting a negative reaction and needing to see more is like, one of the defining traits of bullying.

The obvious response to me is, “don’t you have anyone that loves you? Oh, that’s sad.”

I guess buddy isn’t a quick thinker tho.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

abigserve posted:

LMAO!!! you thought there was going to be ONE THING and instead there's OTHER THING!!?! god this is so loving funny!! I'm such a prankster hahaha

People that find this kind of extremely basic, stupid prank funny have something wrong with em imo
I don't know, this guy thought he was going to have a VACATION but instead he had an INTERNET STRANGER LINK HIS WIFE TO A COPY OF LUNDY BANCROFT'S "WHY DOES HE DO THAT." That's pretty amusing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for suggesting my pregnant sister should put her baby up for adoption?

quote:

My (31f) sister (27f) was married to A for 3 years. Prior to their elopement, they were on and off for about 4 years. Because of their unstable relationship, my sister never introduced him to our family until they were married. Our family is very tight knit and traditional, so with this late introduction, me and my family never formed a close bond with BIL and our relationship was strained because of it.

About a month ago, my sister called me and told me that BIL was in the ICU at the hospital being treated after he was hit by a drunk driver. He unfortunately passed a few days after and my sister was understandably devastated. My sister held a funeral for BIL and my parents graciously offered to cover the cost of the funeral and burial.

A week after the funeral, my sister didnt show up to my mothers 60th birthday party which was odd since she had helped me and brother (34m) plan the party. I went over to her house after the event was over to check on her and found her place a mess. There was takeout boxes and trash spread around the entire kitchen and an entire sink full of dirty dishes. I offered to help clean since my sister was in a rough state. While I was cleaning, she began to tell me that her and BIL had been trying to conceive for the past year and were unsuccessful but she was late and decided to take a test today and it came back positive. I asked her if she was sure and she said she was confidant and that she was going to schedule an appointment with her doctor. I told her not to get her hopes up until the doctor confirmed the results with her.

For the past few weeks, I hadnt heard anything about my sisters "pregnancy" so I thought it was a false positive and that the signs were just from the stress of her loss. Today, during our Sunday dinner with our parents, my husband and brother and SIL + their kids, my sister announced that she was pregnant. My parents were shocked to say the least and my SIL immediately began congratulating my sister. After the dinner, I asked my sister if we could talk in private and brought her away from the rest of the family. I expressed my concerns for her and asked if she was truly prepared to be a mother right now if she cant even take care of herself. My sister got mad at the comment and said I have no right to comment on how she chooses to grieve and that her baby is the last piece of her late husband. I asked her if she was truly prepared to be a single mother even though it would ruin any chance of her moving on since no man wants to date a single mom. I suggested that she should put the baby up for adoption so that it could be in a healthy, stable home with two parents. She stormed off and told the rest of my family what I said to her. My family thinks that I am TA, and my husband thinks I should’ve chosen a better time to talk with her about this, but I really dont think I am TA for trying to protect my sister. She is still so young and she shouldnt have the burden of taking care of a dead man’s child alone.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DreamingofRoses posted:

The out of pocket maximum on an individual being as high as $8,550 and whatever the insurance doesn’t cover.

The play here is obviously to apply for Medicaid if you are too sick to work and if you aren’t then to use your employer sponsored plan. If you have to move to Oregon and get on OHP or California and get on Medical. Additionally, It is doubtful that she needed special treatments that were experimental and if so it was a long shot anyway. Known effective treatments are generally covered by most plans. Under $10k in medical bills wouldn’t even be worth declaring bankruptcy over. Of course, I guess you can multiply that by however many years of treatment there are. But you can nearly always negotiate medical bills down and then get on a payment plan. Generally you can get the treatments and worry about how to pay for it later if you have any insurance at all.

If the story is real, the husband should have proposed one of the many available alternatives rather than divorce his wife. I have no sympathy for him.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AITA for not changing my order and ordering the same thing as my brother's girlfriend at a restaurant?

quote:

My brother has a new girlfriend and my grandparents, my parents and me went out to dinner to meet her. When everyone was going over the menus and I said my choice, his girlfriend said oh that's what I was going to order. She went back to the menu again but kept coming back to her that dish asked me if I was sure to which I said I was. My brother asked me if I could choose something else because his girlfriend really wanted to try that dish but right then the waiter came by and we ordered. His girlfriend was definitely upset I ordered the same dish and asked me after the waiter left if I was sure again before my grandma changed the subject. Both her and my brother were tense and the rest of the night was awkward. My nana ordered the same dish as my mom and his girlfriend asked both of them if they were sure but she didn't say anything else after they both said yes. I got asked again by her after I said I was sure the first time. Later he lambasted me for not changing my order when I knew his girlfriend wanted that dish and said she was nervous about meeting our family and what I did didn't help and got her disappointed and upset. It wasn't limited edition. Imagine going to a pub and ordering wings or nachos. There's always enough. It wasn't a special or rare dish. It was good but you can get this type of dish at many restaurants. I never tried to stop her from ordering it either. AITA here?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

AITA for not changing my order and ordering the same thing as my brother's girlfriend at a restaurant?

So she was being weird about ordering the same dish as someone else at the table?

i.e. "I wanted to order the chicken, but now I can't because my boyfriend's brother has ordered it."?

That is stupid. A restaurant doesn't care if it has to make 2 chickens, nobody else at the table cares if you order the same as them. It is entirely her weird hang up, and OP is under no obligation to change his order because of it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

and then she put her hair in a ponytail but didn't.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I generally avoid ordering the same as someone else and will change my own order if someone else wants what I originally picked out. I like seeing a heap of different dishes, talk about the different dishes or even try each others meal - but I aint ever asked someone else to change their order and if the first thing I liked is really the only thing I am interested in then I will just order the same.

On the insurance, I assumed that the employee plan was one of those ones that includes pre-existing and/or inherited conditions - you generally can't get that sort of cover outside a big company group deal type one but was part of one of my employer provided ones - along with 100% coverage across nearly everything. If the insurance is just what you could get by spending a little money in the marketplace, then yeah he is dumb.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I generally avoid ordering the same as someone else and will change my own order if someone else wants what I originally picked out. I like seeing a heap of different dishes, talk about the different dishes or even try each others meal - but I aint ever asked someone else to change their order and if the first thing I liked is really the only thing I am interested in then I will just order the same.

On the insurance, I assumed that the employee plan was one of those ones that includes pre-existing and/or inherited conditions - you generally can't get that sort of cover outside a big company group deal type one but was part of one of my employer provided ones - along with 100% coverage across nearly everything. If the insurance is just what you could get by spending a little money in the marketplace, then yeah he is dumb.

Probably the most popular part of the ACÁ was the end of health insurance companies being able to refuse to cover pre-existing conditions.additionally ex-wife was irresponsible as hell if she was not carrying insurance when she has two kids.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for only feeding one child frozen food

quote:

My son is Indian, and his friend, who is White, are both 9. My son brought his friend over after school on the bus. I messaged his mom and asked if this was okay and how late he was staying. She asked if he could stay until 10. I serve dinner around 8, so he would be eating with us. I cook a lot of Indian cuisine in my house because that's what I grew up making. My son told me his friend was picky and asked if I could make him something else. I keep fries and chicken nuggets for when my son has picky friends over. So we all sit to eat, and my son's friend seems happy with the nuggets, and they go to play after dinner. The boy's mom picks him up a little after 9. I get a text later asking why I fed her son frozen food when I cooked a fresh dinner for everyone else. I told her my son said the boy wouldn’t eat what I was making. She said I should have made him something also instead of just getting freezer food. I told her I provided free childcare without notice, and her kid chose not to eat what everyone else ate. I continued that when I was a child, my mom didn’t offer anyone alternatives to what was made, so he’s lucky I accommodated him. She told me she wouldn’t let her son stay with a child abuser anymore.

seems like this is a problem that solved itself

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for only feeding one child frozen food

seems like this is a problem that solved itself

To be fair, she deprived the child of Indian food, which is pretty much abuse. I mean, I know the kid chose not to eat it, but if a kid chooses to self harm you are supposed to try and stop them!

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

lol thinking back to that post from a while back where the white parents were upset because their kid loved his friend's mom's Indian food so much and they were horrified for his sensitive lil' tum-tum :rolleyes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Biplane posted:

and then she put her hair in a ponytail but didn't.

lol yep

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Name drama will never, ever fail to disappoint!

AITA for telling my sister in-law her daughters name isn't Irish?

quote:

I'm Irish. My husband is American. We live in the US currently but met back in Ireland. His sister has always been obsessed with my accent, my name and the fact that her brother married a real Irish person.

She and her husband had a baby very recently, a little girl. My sister in-law excitedly told me ages ago that she was giving her daughter an Irish name and she couldn't wait for me to hear it. Around that same time her husband asked me if the name was actually Irish (he told me what it was) and I said no. I also pointed out that the Irish middle name they did use was the American spelling and not one used back home. I didn't say anything to her because she never asked and I wasn't supposed to know the name.

Apparently they argued over the name a lot and he tried to convince her to stop saying it was Irish. Her daughter was born and she announced the name to us and the rest of their family. She had the name printed on a banner so the spelling of the middle was clear too. She talked about wanting an Irish name for her because of me. Her husband told her to stop saying it was Irish. She was so mad at him for claiming it wasn't and I jumped in. I said the first name was Scottish, not Irish, and that the middle name is not the Irish spelling or anything close to it. She went crazy and told me the name was Irish, that Irish and Scottish had the same stuff. I told her there was some overlap sure but we still had our own distinct names and the one she had chosen was clearly Scottish. Then she told me she chose the least dumb spelling for the middle.

She is so pissed that I pointed this out to her. She's pissed at her husband for disagreeing with her in the first place. Drama has ensued and everybody is hearing about how lovely I am for trying to convince her that her daughters Irish name isn't, in fact, Irish.

AITA?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mx. posted:

My boyfriend wants me to move in but I find his house disgusting
I have a solution to your problem.

quote:

What do I do in this situation without being naggy or controlling, or ending the relationship?
Oh, never mind then.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Evil Willow posted:

maybe something like Neve? Irish spelling would be Niamh

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

therobit posted:

To be fair, she deprived the child of Indian food, which is pretty much abuse. I mean, I know the kid chose not to eat it, but if a kid chooses to self harm you are supposed to try and stop them!

That's an experience the kid will never forget.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A shitload of stories itt are just people who were put into a no-win situation by unreasonable and occasionally outright insane assholes and feel guilty about it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How did someone not just say "you can order it too, this is not hard" jfc

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sebmojo posted:

maybe something like Neve? Irish spelling would be Niamh

She told the Irish person she'd picked the "least dumb spelling".

And lived.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's those extremely low-stakes little conflicts that delight me most.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

"I wanted an Irish name. I chose the least dumb spelling"

girl u didn't really want an Irish name then

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still pretty sure Samus Aran is an Irish name.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My daughter Shivan.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Moon Monster posted:

My daughter Shivan.

My daughter Shiwan Khan.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's not an authentic Irish name if it doesn't use all the vowels at least twice each.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Evil Willow posted:

So I'm guessing sister-in-law and that family are not even part of the Irish diaspora.

I know a lot of descendants of the Irish diaspora go....all in on "I'm Irish" as a sort of way of....trying to reclaim lost culture, I guess (like my third generation US rear end slowly trying to learn Gaeilge), but they tend to go for the really Irish names, with the correct spelling.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for not offering any help to my estranged sister or her family?

quote:

My sister (34f) and I (32f) don't talk anymore. I cut her out of my life 7 years ago after learning she was sleeping with my ex-fiance (34m) and that her daughter who was 2 at the time was his, as well as the baby she was carrying. I broke up with my ex and my sister in one go. I told her she was dead to me and made it clear to my family she was not going to be in my life anymore. They were understanding and actually tried to keep us apart because it was more painful for them to be around the tension and the hate I have her for than it was to never see us in the same room.

I'm married to my husband Luke now and have three children under three with him. He is aware of my past and the fact I don't want anything to do with my sister ever again. This is something he kinda gets because his brother slept with most of his ex's while he was still dating them. So we both understand that siblings can sometimes be the worst.

My sister is married to my ex now and they have two girls together. My ex ended up disabled last year in a workplace accident, then my sister ended up being diagnosed with some medical problem. They've struggled to keep a roof over their heads and feed their kids, etc. My parents and some extended family have stepped up to help. Last month my sisters husband needed surgery and the pressure has been worse on them. I have heard about all this through other people. I never reached out or offered any help. Her husband ended up back in the hospital a week ago and my sister followed. Luke and I were asked if we'd take the kids. I said no. My sister found me via social media and told me she needs me now, that we're sisters above all else and her family needs my help. I told her I was never going to help her or her family. She asked how I could be so cold.

Now is where my family feels I am wrong. They say my sisters kids are innocent and I should want them in my life. And that my sister is going through a hellish time right now and I should put aside my hurt and anger and at least give her some help, because we're blood and we grew up together. I told them I could never. That even though I fully acknowledge her kids are innocent. They are her kids and I don't have it in me to invite any kind of access with her via them. They're all pretty mad at me and say I have taken this too far.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still pretty sure Samus Aran is an Irish name.

Seamus O'Ran