Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Auto Focus owns. Glad to see Schrader made it back with First Reformed and Card Counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First reformed is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Norm special is good. As they say in the commentary afterwards there’s certain beauty and humor in his entire process. The killers, the duds, it’s all part of norms wild ride.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Auto Focus, First Reformed, and The Card Counter, are all completely amazing. Watch The Canyons if you want to see the sewer into which Hollywood flushed Lindsay Lohan. It's on Showtime!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Someone recommend me a movie like house of the devil

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

X?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Autofocus is on The Roku Channel (which has been quietly getting good content.

If you've never seen it, definitely check it out. It's a Paul Schrader directed movie starring Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe. It's the true life story of Bob Crane (Kinnear) of Hogan's Heroes fame and his 'friend' John Carpenter (not that John Carpenter). I don't want to say more so as not to spoil anything.
Thanks for the tip, been meaning to rewatch this for years.

Saw Drag Me to Hell on Hulu and honestly I wish it had more Raimi ridiculousness and stupidity. It's almost enough. You've got that Evil Dead DNA, it's very nearly just flat out horror comedy, grotesque and hilarious and straight up Looney Tunes...but it's also kinda just trying to be a 2009 horror movie and that's the stuff that makes it kinda snoozy and basic when it isnt working. It's kind of just okay.
Also having Justin Long in your movie Drag Me to Hell and not having him tortured, harmed, or dragged to hell...that should be a crime.

Speaking of Paul Schrader, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters is on the criterion channel and it's as gorgeous and fantastic as ever. His best film maybe.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 31, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TBH I'm a bit neutral on Sam Rami but imo Drag me to Hell is the best thing he has done by a long shot (no pun intended :/). It's got that wacky comedy element but is also actually a decent horror movie. Most of his stuff is way too campy and cheesy for me.

I actually like the Evil Dead remake more than the original don't @me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sorry but no movie on earth is better and more perfect than Darkman

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

It's definitely one of the better horror remakes.

I've been watching a 80s horror doc "In Search of Darkness", and there are a ton of movies I've never even heard of. The best thing is most of them are available on Tubi!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Saw Drag Me to Hell on Hulu and honestly I wish it had more Raimi ridiculousness and stupidity. It's almost enough. You've got that Evil Dead DNA, it's very nearly just flat out horror comedy, grotesque and hilarious and straight up Looney Tunes...but it's also kinda just trying to be a 2009 horror movie and that's the stuff that makes it kinda snoozy and basic when it isnt working. It's kind of just okay.
Also having Justin Long in your movie Drag Me to Hell and not having him tortured, harmed, or dragged to hell...that should be a crime.

You nailed it. Good fun movie that I wish Raimi had made in the 90s.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Inspector Hound posted:

:frogsiren: Darkplace is on Prime :frogsiren:

It's an 80s horror series set in a hospital, presented with commentary by the highly respected author who wrote it and the hotshot producer who brought it all together. Maybe Matt Berry's best, but I can't find a place to watch Toast of London.

Not to split hairs, but in case it's not clear from the description Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is a 2004 comedy about a fictional 80s Channel 4 TV show. Also has Richard Ayoade and Julian Barrett. It's very good!

"She was like a candle in the wind. Unreliable."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

TBH I'm a bit neutral on Sam Rami but imo Drag me to Hell is the best thing he has done by a long shot (no pun intended :/). It's got that wacky comedy element but is also actually a decent horror movie. Most of his stuff is way too campy and cheesy for me.

Army of Darkness is a goddamn masterpiece and I will die on this hill

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

snoot posted:

Not to split hairs, but in case it's not clear from the description Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is a 2004 comedy about a fictional 80s Channel 4 TV show. Also has Richard Ayoade and Julian Barrett. It's very good!

One of the greatest TV shows of all time! It's all on YouTube, although that might not be strictly legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamgprCpEGw

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Darkplace is not a comedy, it's terrifying and the network couldn't handle it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

snoot posted:

But if you want something that fits the original description and is not a comedy, track down a subbed version of Lars von Trier's "Riget" (The Kingdom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McczZo-u4o

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Raimi-chat, The Quick and The Dead is on Netflix, which can't be my favorite of his, but its not because I don't love it to bits. Just a perfect, ridiculous Western.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

I wish they had separated the norm special from the q+a. wish it coulda ended with the mic drop. woulda been nice to sit with my thoughts for a while.

I have to watch this soon. Alone, definitely. I saw a screenshot and he didn’t look well, so I’m likely to cry at some point.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Boxman posted:

Raimi-chat, The Quick and The Dead is on Netflix, which can't be my favorite of his, but its not because I don't love it to bits. Just a perfect, ridiculous Western.
And as long as we're talking about Raimi, Blank Check is in the middle of a miniseries about him. Their Spider-Man 2 episode just came out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t imagine not thinking Raimi the best.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you loved Bo Burnham's Inside special on Netflix, or haven't seen it yet: watch/rewatch it

And then follow it up with the Outtakes Bo just uploaded to his Youtube overnight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XWEVoI40sE

A new and just-as-fantastic hour of content with a, dare I say almost as great, alternate ending to the special where he sings about a chicken crossing the road

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm sorry but no movie on earth is better and more perfect than Darkman

hard agree!!!!! god that movie owns

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Famethrowa posted:

I wish they had separated the norm special from the q+a. wish it coulda ended with the mic drop. woulda been nice to sit with my thoughts for a while.

I ended up stopping it as his bit ended, I'll go back and watch the rest later. I agree, it needed to be two parts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
wrapped up S1 of For All Mankind last night, and whoah nelly. what a fuckin good show.

i hope S2 isn't bad. S3 is just a week or two away right?

i love it when i get into a show late haha

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Field Mousepad posted:

Army of Darkness is a goddamn masterpiece and I will die on this hill

Army of Darkness was my entry into Sam Raimi. Rented it from the Super Duper Video because I read a review of it from Roger Ebert who had the following line:

quote:

Ash, you will recall, lost his left forearm in an earlier film, and has had the stump modified to act as a mounting for a chainsaw. He fires a shotgun with his right hand, and in case you're wondering how anyone could load a shotgun with a chainsaw, the answer is: It's not necessary, because the shotgun never needs loading.

They could have fired up the searchlights and had a 40 story flashing neon arrow pointing to the VHS box and it would have been less effective on me than those two sentences.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

wrapped up S1 of For All Mankind last night, and whoah nelly. what a fuckin good show.

i hope S2 isn't bad. S3 is just a week or two away right?

i love it when i get into a show late haha

Season 2 continues to be amazing, with the exception of one plotline which was embarrassingly bad, to the point where I'm surprised they brought the character back for season 3.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

I have to watch this soon. Alone, definitely. I saw a screenshot and he didn’t look well, so I’m likely to cry at some point.

being face to face with him, seeing his eyes twinkle despite it all, is quite the experience. I don't know how you could not tear up.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Army of Darkness was my entry into Sam Raimi. Rented it from the Super Duper Video because I read a review of it from Roger Ebert who had the following line:

They could have fired up the searchlights and had a 40 story flashing neon arrow pointing to the VHS box and it would have been less effective on me than those two sentences.

Did Ebert even watch it he reloads it, sometimes!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 continues to be amazing, with the exception of one plotline which was embarrassingly bad, to the point where I'm surprised they brought the character back for season 3.

to be honest, i thought the plot in S1 with the Latino dad and daughter to be really pointless/bad until the very small payoff in the finale, to the point that i was legitimately wondering if that entire plot had been added in post because it seemed that disconnected and rushed

if that's the same one you're talking about in S2, lmao

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

to be honest, i thought the plot in S1 with the Latino dad and daughter to be really pointless/bad until the very small payoff in the finale, to the point that i was legitimately wondering if that entire plot had been added in post because it seemed that disconnected and rushed

if that's the same one you're talking about in S2, lmao

I'm talking about Karen having an affair with the kid who she used to baby sit, who was her best friend's son, and the best friend of her own dead son. Real Oedipus vibes going on.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

13 year old me saw the cover and I was like gently caress yeah I am watching that movie right now

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
RRR is a loving blast, and as ridiculous as anything you've heard about it, but it definitely also does as much for Hindu nationalism as Top Gun did for the Navy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

They're bringing both the characters back.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The Modern Leper posted:

RRR is a loving blast, and as ridiculous as anything you've heard about it, but it definitely also does as much for Hindu nationalism as Top Gun did for the Navy.

It's really good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You must have been so disappointed when he loads the shotgun, repeatedly, on screen, in a completely plausible way

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're bringing both the characters back.

That was so cringe..... and very out of place in what otherwise is a very good show.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DeimosRising posted:

You must have been so disappointed when he loads the shotgun, repeatedly, on screen, in a completely plausible way

Nah because he still shoots like 5 shots with a double barrel. He only reloads it when it's cool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nah because he still shoots like 5 shots with a double barrel. He only reloads it when it's cool.

And at the end when he's back in the present his gun has rapid fire unlimited ammo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just recently watched Darkman for a podcast thing and I wouldn't say it's better than Evil Dead 2 (peak Raimi imho) but him snarling "take the loving elephant!!!" at Frances McDormand was stuck in my head for days afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm talking about Karen having an affair with the kid who she used to baby sit, who was her best friend's son, and the best friend of her own dead son. Real Oedipus vibes going on.

lmao i just started the season but i don't even mind accidentally reading this because yikes haha

is there a list somewhere of all the alt-history changes? the 10 year time jump seems to have:

Elvis still dies
Lennon does NOT die
Pope DOES die
Jimmy Carter gets skipped
Twin Peaks is somehow on TV early? why?