Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I think my grandson plays fortnite I'll ask him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Macaluso posted:

So this here Fortnite. I know the first game is like all bots, to give you that feeling of oh man I got 1st place first try, I gotta keep goin. Is it only the first game that's all bots or does that continue for a while? Because the second game, while feeling a bit more like I wasn't just dealing with bots, and even had messages saying people were spectating me, I still got 1st. I assume the game has matchmaking and I'm getting paired up with much newer players, but it still seemed a bit easy so I wanted to see if the all bots thing continues after the first game and they just hide it by having people in skins and have bots "spectate" you

They slowly start filtering real players in gradually, to ease new players in

They do also sometimes throw a few in to fire off rounds since those usually die pretty fast

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChqP2ecA8qE
https://wccftech.com/super-mario-64-pc-ray-tracing/

I found out about this while configuring melonDS via RetroArch to play Super Mario 64 DS

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 31, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

whats up with that anyway? ms pacman best version of pacman and wasnt in new collection so i just ignored it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

whats up with that anyway? ms pacman best version of pacman and wasnt in new collection so i just ignored it.

IIRC Ms Pacman isn't technically official or something like that so Namco just pretends she doesn't exist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Namco doesn't own the rights and they are in a petty dispute with the person who does.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
well poo poo like that is why people rarely remember namco exists

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Not gonna lie, that kinda looks like poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think at one point Bamco had gotten the rights back, but now they're kinda tangled up with atGames and Bamco just really loving hates atGames and everyone's being difficult about the whole thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly I kinda dig the "official render in 90s Nintendo Power" vibe

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Finished Centennial Case today!

Would I recommend it to others? No. Would I play it again? Also no. Would I watch someone else play it? Yeah, probably.

The game is interesting at parts, there are a couple of cases that fall flat here and there (I wasn't a fan of Chapter 2 and Chapter 4, specifically). But the ending itself is such a trainwreck of convoluted plot twists that the entire thing fell apart. I think the best way that I would describe how I feel about it would be "squandered potential".

Half of the cases all take place in 1922. There's one case that takes place in 1972, and the other two cases take place in 2022. Although the last case is more of a "I figured out who this person is" through the dumbest train of logic possible. Likely because the game didn't want to give any signs as to who the culprit was when you make your deduction - which again, is based on absolutely nothing. It works out because the villain is so afraid of fire that when you take out a lighter and light it she gets terrified and admits everything. Which again, there's still nothing linking her fear of fire to any of the other killings that she did in the 1920s. All of her motivations make absolutely no sense, too. She killed her husband (the person who made her immortal) because she looked at her funny one time? And then she killed members of the family she was going to marry into just because? And even in the epilogue there's a moment where two characters reconnect and she goes "i don't have any characters in my story!" and rushes to stab someone! I can't really complain about her motivations because it seemed like she didn't have any, but not even in an entertaining joker way.

There was a lot of interesting things the game could have done with the concept it was working with. There was a lot of interesting cases they could have had you solve when dealing with an immortal serial killer, but... they kind of didn't do anything with the concept. Each of the cases had a different culprit and the immortal character was in the background of two cases (and a side character in one of the others). Which again, just left me feeling like it was squandered potential. The 'culprit' in chapter 2 lied so many times for her explanation for her initial lie that it was impossible to believe her at the end of the story (she gives three different explanations for why she admitted to killing someone she didn't kill).

They did do an interesting plot twist in the epilogue though, where early on in the game your editor friend was like 'hey when reading an old book, try to picture these characters as people you know, like this detective reminds you of a guy you know, right?' to kind of explain the actor re-use and then later on it's revealed that the detective was your (woman) editor friend. It sucks that everything after that was pretty bad, but that part I did like.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

i kind of get their reasoning for leaving in the original shadows for platforming reasons, and maybe if the shadows stacked properly you could just write it off as some weird studio lighting or some poo poo, but where the RT shadows and baked old shadows overlap it just gets darker and makes the original and RT look worse. Maybe the platforming would be harder, but if they just slapped in hi-res pbr textures for stuff like a lazy hi-res modpack for some old game, I think that would look better, at least in a "look it's hi-res minecraft" novelty kind of way.

The Mario 64 level in Odyssey pretty much covered the whole "what if n64 mario but modern" thing.

I do think the notion of RT lighting being a problem/consideration for 3D platforming is interesting. In Banjo Threeie/Fourie I want realistic reflections and bounce lighting on the jiggies and off the whites of Jinjos eyes, but I don't want to fall off a platform because the lighting tricked me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I think at one point Bamco had gotten the rights back, but now they're kinda tangled up with atGames and Bamco just really loving hates atGames and everyone's being difficult about the whole thing

Good news is around the year 2100 Pac-Man will be in the public domain with Ms Pac Man to come not long after, maybe even before given the weirder situation of her genesis.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I said come in! posted:

Namco doesn't own the rights and they are in a petty dispute with the person who does.

close - Namco seems to own the rights to the character, but the Western programmers who created her are legally entitled to royalties when she's used and there are disputes over what exactly that entails. there was a lawsuit a few years back when the game was included in one of those cheap TV emulator boxes from AtGames

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ms-pac-man-has-been-removed-from-switchs-pac-land-re-release-due-to-a-dispute/

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Khanstant posted:

well poo poo like that is why people rarely remember namco exists

I'm sad people in the West aren't as interested in old Namco games like they are with Capcom, Sega and Konami outside of Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Pole Position and Galaga.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I'm sad people in the West aren't as interested in old Namco games like they are with Capcom, Sega and Konami outside of Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Pole Position and Galaga.

Konami is at least trying to bury their name and make people forget they exist.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Ridge Racer Type 4 has racing teams named after mappy/dig dug/pac-man/gradius so if they release a remaster of that, all the pieces will fall into place

e: i misread your post but they should do it anyway

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 31, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

like what? i just scrolled their wiki and saw a bunch of sports things i dont think id care about, and a whole bunch of untranslated titles i can't make heads or tails of. i recognized klonoa, i used to want to try that back in the gba days.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

speaking as a random person, I’m super interested in old stuff and old arcade stuff, but from the early 3D era onward. I love the N64 generation, even if it rightfully disgusts normal people.

It feels like most companies only want to rerelease 2D games, which is awesome, but not my cup of tea. I would love Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Time Crisis, House of the Dead, Gauntlet Legends, etc on my Switch.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Khanstant posted:

like what? i just scrolled their wiki and saw a bunch of sports things i dont think id care about, and a whole bunch of untranslated titles i can't make heads or tails of. i recognized klonoa, i used to want to try that back in the gba days.

Metro-Cross is a pretty fun race to the finish platformer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTHqUgqu3k

Libble Rabble is a neat Qix type game from the designer of Pac-Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC7xTvkQcO0

Dragon Spirit and Dragon Saber are really nice shmups, with the latter having an amazing soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evyjfb50UvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0x3MLt2ns

Phelios is a cool Greek inspired shmup with another great soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsQeeVpFYsU

Legend of Valkyrie is a very fun run and gun game where exploring the different paths in the levels is encouraged because you can find new spells to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHvPSfotlhM

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

I said come in! posted:

Context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPzVlTgZoCg&t=6124s

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hopefully no one cares but I’ve fallen off my xcom2 campaign, sorry. At least for now, I’m checking out the rimworld expansion atm

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
put me in your colony please

I won't perform any manual labor and I need a/c tia

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Hopefully no one cares but I’ve fallen off my xcom2 campaign, sorry. At least for now, I’m checking out the rimworld expansion atm

Try playing original xcom 2 instead and stop when you gameover.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Another abandoned LP smh

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Sonic Colours: Ultimate is a beautiful game. It's got that Kirby game vibe where it's the kind of game that just wants you to be happy to be alive.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

there's still a whole month left before Sunbreak and i've run out of game to play in the meantime

any suggestions

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kerrzhe posted:

there's still a whole month left before Sunbreak and i've run out of game to play in the meantime

any suggestions

7th Dragon 2020 for the PSP.

What if Etrian Odyssey FOEs, but you're encouraged to murder them on the spot instead of running like a coward. :black101:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't have a psp...

can i play a PC game instead i like those

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

any suggestions

MagiCat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/656970/MagiCat/

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was on gog for 2.50 so I played a bit of it

It's pretty good! Kinda feels like a fantasy civ with a bunch of rpg stats and Tactical combat welded on, which is always a good time. Also seems like there's just a bunch of factions and units, so it'll probably take me a while to really figure stuff out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't have a psp...

can i play a PC game instead i like those

I've been enjoying Wonderlands, maybe give that try? (So far no Krieg, though).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay Rust posted:

This means I live forever, right? :shobon:

Mode 7 posted:

Thanks for the fun posts!

But also this!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 31, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Thanks for the fun posts!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

It's okay I'm dead so I already lost interest

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
been meaning to get back to my playthrough of this, but since the saga frontier remaster was pretty good i guess i'll wait

https://twitter.com/SaGaGame/status/1531578017872584704?s=20&t=Uwu4hPVfF9aTIQj17atjfQ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I abandoned a King of Dragon Pass LP, I'd have two nickels

Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Relax Or DIE posted:

been meaning to get back to my playthrough of this, but since the saga frontier remaster was pretty good i guess i'll wait

https://twitter.com/SaGaGame/status/1531578017872584704?s=20&t=Uwu4hPVfF9aTIQj17atjfQ

I love that this official account isn't verified

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Smirking_Serpent posted:

speaking as a random person, I’m super interested in old stuff and old arcade stuff, but from the early 3D era onward. I love the N64 generation, even if it rightfully disgusts normal people.

It feels like most companies only want to rerelease 2D games, which is awesome, but not my cup of tea. I would love Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Time Crisis, House of the Dead, Gauntlet Legends, etc on my Switch.

It's not the Switch, but there's a ton of cheap Chinese handhelds that run decently enough. Haven't had any issues with Saturn or Dreamcast on my little RP2+.

Also, House of the Dead is on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I wish OP had stuck around long enough to see their thread become so well used. I'll be sad to say goodbye to it now May is ending.