Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FirstAidKite posted:

The Secret Lab has the best ending of any of the Exit games I've played imo

"Thanks for taking part in our test, here's your pittance of a paycheck, gtfo"

No, best is the pharaohs tomb

One leftover card in the deck and it’s a trap if you look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The Exit games' answer disc was a reasonable novelty at first, but I think sticking with it has limited their design space. They've become more reliant on gimmicks. In general, they've gone downhill over time - I think they need to shake things up.

Meanwhile, the writing/puzzle-making on the Unlock games have gotten better. We just went through Unlock: Mythic Adventures; they were all fine, with a few clever bits. The app gimmicks have been well done lately, and the "number hidden in smoke"/moon-logic-groaners have gotten much less common.

While these games are all more expensive than necessary, the Unlock games being perfectly re-usable by design is nice. We usually get two uses in our family, then pass them on to the next group.

I feel like the best place for these to go is either "reusable card game, using app for gimmicks" (like Unlock) for 2 or 3 players and pretty casual engagement - or "deluxe physical experience" games like Werewolf Experiment for dedicated evenings. Exit games seem to currently be hitting a middle ground with disadvantages from each side, and not much benefit.

Our other current favorite escape room series is Escape Room: The Game: The Puzzle Adventure, which make for a pleasant 2 player night.

We did the first Cantaloop game a while back.. not great, or at least not what we were looking for. Lots of text to read (and we didn't love the story); more "random clicking" than puzzle solving. Probably better suited to solo play... but at that point, seems like you should just play an adventure game on the computer (which is what you're doing, mostly, just with a really awkward interface).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

No, best is the pharaohs tomb

One leftover card in the deck and it’s a trap if you look at it

God I fell for that one hook line and sinker

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

jmzero posted:

Exit games seem to currently be hitting a middle ground with disadvantages from each side, and not much benefit.

I mean, the biggest benefit is that the Exit games cost less than $15. I can overlook all sorts of minor flaws when I can have an hour or so of fun with a friend or two for less than the price of a movie ticket or a couple of drinks out.

Edit: on this topic, have you played any more of emerald flame, FirstAitKite? I have yet to open the box

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 30, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Unfortunately I have not. We did the prologue stuff that was an extra from the kickstarter but haven't actually started any of the first envelope's puzzles because I have to catch my fiancee at the right time to play anything because of her ADHD.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AITA if I've requested a refund from Eagle Gryphon Games, they're only offering an 80% refund, and I go to my bank and request a charge back in full?

It's a $125 AUD difference in the refund amount - and it's effectively just a pre-order.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
No comment on anything AITA related but is it a charge from Kickstarter or Eagle Gryphon?

If it's Kickstarter then they probably took a big cut from it and if you charge back you might get blacklisted by Kickstarter as well?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Via Jet Backer

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Viper915 posted:

Edit: on this topic, have you played any more of emerald flame, FirstAitKite? I have yet to open the box

barging in to the thread to say that I played through it solo and found it to be delightful. the finale in particular had a very high razzle-dazzle factor, and of the handful of times I had to resort to the hint system, there were only a few times when I said "okay I never would have figured THAT out." month 1 spoiler: at one point you have to use a Spirograph-type rig and a pencil to draw patterns on a map, but it didn't quiiiiiite work--the pieces of plastic slipped around so much that I had to just eyeball what it was trying to do. kind of annoying but ultimately gettable.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

AITA if I've requested a refund from Eagle Gryphon Games, they're only offering an 80% refund, and I go to my bank and request a charge back in full?

It's a $125 AUD difference in the refund amount - and it's effectively just a pre-order.

Might ask if you can get the 20% in credit or something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah that's a good idea, I'll try that route first

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, regarding The Emerald Flame, the creator, PostCurious / has a new thing up for preorder called Adrift.

https://postcurious.myshopify.com/products/adrift-preorder

quote:

Adrift is a new puzzletale from PostCurious in which players will take on the role of an expert dream interpreter in order to help someone understand the significance of the messages received through their subconscious. Solve your way through strange poems, beautiful illustrations, and various physical artifacts to discover a mysterious and ethereal world that will only further unfold in the following PostCurious release.

Estimated play time: 2-3 hours
Recommended player count: 1-4

Includes:

- Instruction sheet
- 13 puzzle documents
- 4 illustrated 8"x10" poster prints
- 4 artifacts & velvet satchels

The game is fully resettable and no components are destroyed during play.

Some prototype pics:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Claim 100% back, its not your problem how they decided to sell their poo poo. Eagle Gryphon Games are not some mom and pop boutique game publisher.

Also what on earth did you pre order for $625?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Weather Machine, Kanban EV, and Rococo Deluxe + shipping to Australia.

EGG stuff is expensive

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Aramoro posted:

Claim 100% back, its not your problem how they decided to sell their poo poo. Eagle Gryphon Games are not some mom and pop boutique game publisher.

Ehh the issue here is that, based on what I know of his posting, that they are an enthusiastic crowdfunder, and I suspect that Infinitum might want to get in on an EGG project later down the road in better times, and doing something like that might make that more difficult if they 'blacklist' them. Then, if they want in on the next one, they have to pay some scalper parasite a markup for the FOMO version.

But yeah, I don't know what sort of EULA could possibly justify having what is essentially a 'restocking fee' that is greater than the retailers I checked on google, both those that go by percentage of cost of item and those that charge a flat fee, especially for something almost certainly hasn't begun actual production, since the only closed the pledge manager 10 days ago. Maybe with the economic downturn people are creating a raft of returns, so they are trying to forestall becoming the next TMG.

poo poo sucks. I'm sorry this went down like this for you. I know you were excited about it. I'd consider buying some of those excess games to help bolster the coffers as you posted earlier, but I'm on the literal other side of the world, so I cannot imagine the economics make sense for anyone.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Viper915 posted:

I mean, the biggest benefit is that the Exit games cost less than $15. I can overlook all sorts of minor flaws when I can have an hour or so of fun with a friend or two for less than the price of a movie ticket or a couple of drinks out.

My problem with these games is that there’s better puzzles online for free. Then again, I’m really into puzzle hunts, and there’s a good chance most people don’t even know what that is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OmegaGoo posted:

My problem with these games is that there’s better puzzles online for free. Then again, I’m really into puzzle hunts, and there’s a good chance most people don’t even know what that is.

The latest panda was real good, though we got loving eleventh again

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Infinitum posted:

If you do a charge back you won't be able to buy any more of their games until you send them the funds. If KS or EGG has a statement regarding refunds you may not even get the chargeback unless Australia prevents the enforcement of such.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

If you do a charge back you won't be able to buy any more of their games until you send them the funds. If KS or EGG has a statement regarding refunds you may not even get the chargeback unless Australia prevents the enforcement of such.

Jet Backer has no discernible policies of any kind it seems.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Played Return to Dark Tower last night, it's about what I was hoping for / expected. App integration was at a good level I think.

App integration does have its downsides. The iPad we were using started to run low on battery (surprise surprise, board games means a device is on for a long time) and it's weird to have a board game get stopped because of low battery on a mobile device.

Also, at one point the tower complained of a jam. The app said to troubleshoot according to (URL) which meant pulling out another device and typing in a URL in a browser, which directed to a document that needed a Google account sign in to view, which gave a step one of "turn off the tower" which meant that the connection between the app and tower was gone, so now after following directions, hitting the post-jam button on the app doesn't do anything (no error, no nothing) and ughhhhh what a profoundly thoughtless troubleshooting process to send someone through. Even worse as a first impression.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

Played Return to Dark Tower last night, it's about what I was hoping for / expected. App integration was at a good level I think.

App integration does have its downsides. The iPad we were using started to run low on battery (surprise surprise, board games means a device is on for a long time) and it's weird to have a board game get stopped because of low battery on a mobile device.

Also, at one point the tower complained of a jam. The app said to troubleshoot according to (URL) which meant pulling out another device and typing in a URL in a browser, which directed to a document that needed a Google account sign in to view, which gave a step one of "turn off the tower" which meant that the connection between the app and tower was gone, so now after following directions, hitting the post-jam button on the app doesn't do anything (no error, no nothing) and ughhhhh what a profoundly thoughtless troubleshooting process to send someone through. Even worse as a first impression.

This honestly sounds horrifying and was giving me second hand anxiety reading it. Bad enough getting a new game on the table with a group let alone one that you're literally having to troubleshoot because of technical issues.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Given the clunkiness of that process, I suspect a jam is a pretty rare occurrence. Even more so for a first game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

Care to elaborate for the rest of the class?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

P&A magazine has a every other month puzzle set (not free) that I personally love

Mark Halpin does a free puzzle set every Labor Day

MIT Mystery Hunt is one of the more famous super big ones (lots of teams, in person, some actual physical hunting involved)

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Shameless plug: https://2022.galacticpuzzlehunt.com
This is the hunt I work on. Warning: this is the deep end, but the FAQ has some really good links.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The Eyes Have It posted:

Given the clunkiness of that process, I suspect a jam is a pretty rare occurrence. Even more so for a first game.

I've played a bit and have yet to have this happen. I'm puzzled as to how it could even jam really. Did it not spit skulls for a long time and they just piled up?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It warned that the tower was going to rotate (so keep clear) then instead of hearing the top then middle then bottom turn, the top didn't. Then the app warned of a jam on the top and to investigate.

I think a skull got somehow jammed, maybe? I didn't find anything obviously wrong and we continued okay once that was handled (by removing all the seals and freeing any skulls behind them, then following instructions to check if there's a physical problem.) After reassembling and reconnecting it seemed ok for the rest of the game.

Maybe just a glitch or a freak temporary jam with a skull somehow. If it happens more then I'll contact support.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

OmegaGoo posted:

You say that but just because you can find puzzles online for free doesn't mean the more intricate and involved ones that cost money can't be great too. Being free doesn't necessarily mean it is better.

Also, maybe I'm not familiar with enough puzzle hunts to know for sure but puzzle hunts always seemed to be more about throwing lots of stuff at players and expecting a community of cryptographers to come together and solve everything in a way that is generally open-ended while things like Exit are far more guided and linear, presenting smaller groups like friends and families with puzzles. They're just different imo and only comparable in that they're both puzzles.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

You say that but just because you can find puzzles online for free doesn't mean the more intricate and involved ones that cost money can't be great too. Being free doesn't necessarily mean it is better.

Also, maybe I'm not familiar with enough puzzle hunts to know for sure but puzzle hunts always seemed to be more about throwing lots of stuff at players and expecting a community of cryptographers to come together and solve everything in a way that is generally open-ended while things like Exit are far more guided and linear, presenting smaller groups like friends and families with puzzles. They're just different imo and only comparable in that they're both puzzles.

You’re thinking of ARGs. Puzzle hunts are a different beast. Things like Puzzled Pint utilize the same sort of mechanisms that games like Exit use.

I’ll admit my experience with Exit is limited to one game (it was about finding an inheritance in or escaping a mansion? I don’t really remember), but I felt like it was an overproduced version of a set of Puzzled Pint puzzles. It wasn’t bad by any stretch of the, and I understand that it fits a niche. My personal experience is that puzzle hunts offer the same or better experience and don’t cost anything.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Well it took marrying somebody who was willing to try it, but I also finally got Consentacle to the table (it is a game about communication and consent in an intimate encounter between a human and a tentacled alien). It's about as tastefully done as it could be, minus one card, but I wanted something that said, well, more about communication and consent when there is a language barrier. Ah well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was it good for you?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

absolute sicko stuff. beyond the pale even for this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

OmegaGoo posted:

You’re thinking of ARGs. Puzzle hunts are a different beast. Things like Puzzled Pint utilize the same sort of mechanisms that games like Exit use.

My point of reference was mainly stuff like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtc73YYrvM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsM7pLtUKs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Feuerland have put out their slate for Spiel. German language editions of Ark Nova (as expected) and a couple of Stonemeier games. No AFFO expansion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

homullus posted:

Well it took marrying somebody who was willing to try it, but I also finally got Consentacle to the table (it is a game about communication and consent in an intimate encounter between a human and a tentacled alien). It's about as tastefully done as it could be, minus one card, but I wanted something that said, well, more about communication and consent when there is a language barrier. Ah well.

Yeah we didn't really gel with it either. The idea was neat, the message was good, but the game wasn't really worth playing more than a couple times.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Magnetic North posted:

I apologise in advance because this probably comes off as snarky and I really don't mean to be, it just sort of tickled me, BUT:

There's kind of an irony in you having to ask where to find a puzzle hunt, no?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

I apologise in advance because this probably comes off as snarky and I really don't mean to be, it just sort of tickled me, BUT:

There's kind of an irony in you having to ask where to find a puzzle hunt, no?

Last time I tried to figure it out myself, I accidentally ended up in a meeting of a buncha soviet spies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Was it good for you?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Consentacle is a game that I find the concept of very interesting and I think it's a cool thing but I also wish it was literally any other theme possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Same with Tragedy Looper IMO