Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for emasculating my husband.

quote:

Throwaway for privacy.

My husband and I don’t have the best relationship, but it is also not the worst. He has a habit of doing things behind my back, and I’m suppose to accept it because I’m a housewife. I cook, clean, run errands. Anything to do with domestic things is my responsibility. And I’d be fine with that if my husband didn’t throw it in my face. This being said I don’t take bs, hence why he is regularly frustrated with me. I stand my ground and withhold my responsibility when he does the same. And he doesn’t think this is right as I apparently do nothing all day ( I barely have no free time).

The issue is his parents lost their home due to terrible financial decisions. They asked to live with us and I immediately said no. I knew I’d have to clear after his parents while he goes out. Precise, they could’ve gone to his 3 other siblings houses so it wasn’t like we were their only choice. Despite me saying no to his parent staying with us, I come back from shopping with all their stuff moved in. I’m livid and argue with my husband and he says he pays the bills so I have to deal with it. Fine. But I’ll told him I not doing anything in the house anymore and he can fend for himself. He got cocky and thought I was bluffing. I lived up to my promise and could see he was getting more and more angry with my new freedom.

It all came ahead this weekend, when I went to the kitchen and made only enough dinner for myself. His parents asked if I can make another portion and I said no. His mum started berating me, then my husband got involved and yelled and called me a b. I simply put my airpods in and drowned him out. Walked away and ate my dinner in my bedroom. After some time, he and his parents came to me and I could see he was speaking . My husband then lifted up my hair and saw I had my AirPods in and was not listening to a word he has been screaming. He asked if I had them in the whole time and I replied back “of course”. His dad laughed and was clearly finding this amusing. Then all of a sudden, my husband burst out crying. Like seriously bawling his eyes out, sobbing I’m emasculating him in front of people. Me and his parents were silent and in shock by this. To paint the scene, he was crying loudly sitting on the floor, then his mother cradled him while his father looked like he was about to laugh. I thought the whole thing was ridiculous cos he brought this upon himself. I said I don’t why he’s acting like a victim, picked up my purse and left to go hang out with my friends.

The next day, my husband did not speak a word to anyone and slept all day. And looked depressed. His mother berated me again and said I’m “breaking her son”. If I’m being honest, I’m starting to think I handled the situation abit too petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

AITA for not offering any help to my estranged sister or her family?

While the kids may be innocent, they're both the product of an affair between OP's sister and at-the-time fiance. She owes then exactly jack and poo poo.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Evil Willow posted:

Name drama will never, ever fail to disappoint!

AITA for telling my sister in-law her daughters name isn't Irish?

My bro lived in Edinburgh for a long time and didn't talk to me for a month after I asked him via whatsapp to bring some extra Whiskey down on his way to visit me. He arrives with nothing and I'm verbally "where's the whisky?" and he replied "I aint buying whiskey in Edinburgh, you can go-on get hosed".

On sticking to cultural traditions stronger than the true scotsmen;

Same bro stopped gifting a bottle of single malt to our bro-in-law each visit as he used to do because one time he brought a very nice bottle and the bro-in-law just shelved it rather than breaking open the bottle for a taste that night (and subsequently drank it before my bro next visited). My bro never said anything so my bro-in-law didn't know why he was missing out on the otherwise unavailable in Aus single malt goodies. It eventually got back to him somehow and bro-in-law got a bottle of the same whisky that was originally gifted by my bro sent over by a mate from Scotland to Aus. He brought it out when my bro came through for a few wee drams and since that time my brother has resumed bringing a bottle of single malt to my bro-in-law each visit.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Naming my first kid mac cumhaill Stevenson for the culture.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Evil Willow posted:

While the kids may be innocent, they're both the product of an affair between OP's sister and at-the-time fiance. She owes then exactly jack and poo poo.

Yeah. They were "blood and grew up together" when sis was loving her fiancé for 2 years plus. Tough poo poo kids.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Mx. posted:

Holy poo poo I love this woman. Just throws her airpods in and completely tunes him out so much that he has a depressive breakdown. :allears:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wurzag posted:

Seamus O'Ran

Seamus Éireann.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mx. posted:

The dad is so happy he could barely contain himself

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Real-mom! Sex-mom isn't listening to me!!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Baron von Eevl posted:

Seamus Éireann.

Pogue Mahone.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

I gotta say I wanna hear what the dad is thinking because he clearly has some views on his son (which are most likely highly hypocritical)

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Electric Wrigglies posted:

My bro lived in Edinburgh for a long time and didn't talk to me for a month after I asked him via whatsapp to bring some extra Whiskey down on his way to visit me. He arrives with nothing and I'm verbally "where's the whisky?" and he replied "I aint buying whiskey in Edinburgh, you can go-on get hosed".

On sticking to cultural traditions stronger than the true scotsmen;

Same bro stopped gifting a bottle of single malt to our bro-in-law each visit as he used to do because one time he brought a very nice bottle and the bro-in-law just shelved it rather than breaking open the bottle for a taste that night (and subsequently drank it before my bro next visited). My bro never said anything so my bro-in-law didn't know why he was missing out on the otherwise unavailable in Aus single malt goodies. It eventually got back to him somehow and bro-in-law got a bottle of the same whisky that was originally gifted by my bro sent over by a mate from Scotland to Aus. He brought it out when my bro came through for a few wee drams and since that time my brother has resumed bringing a bottle of single malt to my bro-in-law each visit.

It might be the Americaness in me but: why hold a grudge against someone you know doesn't know about your customs, so much so that you won't let them know what they didn't know they did wrong?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Has your brother considered using his words like an adult instead of this passive-aggressive fuckfoonery? There are few things I hate more than people who expect you to read their minds or to just 'know' what it was you did wrong. gently caress you, you're allegedly a big boy/girl now, tell me what I did wrong instead of expecting me to intuit it from your 'long-suffering' silence.

Mx. posted:

Yeaaaah, that's the good stuff :yum:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Brawnfire posted:

I gotta say I wanna hear what the dad is thinking because he clearly has some views on his son (which are most likely highly hypocritical)

quote:

FIL always called husband a “mummy b*tch” and never took him serious. So that has always been a sore point for him. I think hearing his dad laugh at him broke him, and has less to do with me.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

edgeman83 posted:

It might be the Americaness in me but: why hold a grudge against someone you know doesn't know about your customs, so much so that you won't let them know what they didn't know they did wrong?

Isnt it pretty universal to at least offer a taste if someone brings good liquor?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

8one6 posted:

It's not an authentic Irish name if it doesn't use all the vowels at least twice each.

And if it doesn't require 2 loads of phlegm and a hocked loogie to say properly. Gaelic isn't so much a language as an affliction of the throat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

loving lmao

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

datajugend posted:

Isnt it pretty universal to at least offer a taste if someone brings good liquor?
I live in Texas and this is the first I've ever heard of it. But 1) what the South considers 'good liquor' and 2) my own low opinion of alcohol in general may be influencing this. Either way, if bro wanted to drink it then and there, he should've said so instead of being a poo poo.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Some people are just bad hosts, but it is considered rude to call them out on it. It probably has more social consequences than just people being passive aggressive at them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just crack open the liquor I gave my host and neck it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Naming my first kid mac cumhaill Stevenson for the culture.

"These are my sons Cú Chulainn and Fion mac Cumhaill."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teen witch posted:

Fenris was my beef thief.

She was relentless when it came to beef, like she’d look me dead in the eye and try and take a chomp out of a brisket.

Sneak some scraps to your furry loved ones. My other four are being spoiled as they miss her as much as we all do. Mourning sucks.
Sorry about your kitty.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

edgeman83 posted:

If it helps I’m Scottish and I wouldn’t know any of these “customs”. People can be incredibly tiresome about whisky.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 31, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I live in Texas and this is the first I've ever heard of it. But 1) what the South considers 'good liquor' and 2) my own low opinion of alcohol in general may be influencing this. Either way, if bro wanted to drink it then and there, he should've said so instead of being a poo poo.

A big part of gifting a good whisky is it is the excuse to splurge on a bottle and get something that you would really like to try. Generally the art is getting something that the host will really like so you have to know the preference and tendencies of your host and what whiskys will go with those preferences when selecting a bottle. Getting to try and affirm you nailed it is a part of the fun.

If you are not getting to try the bottle, it takes a lot of motivation out of the effort selecting it, spending from a few 10s to a few hundred quid and beyond on each bottle and carting from Edinburgh through customs to Australia. You can only carry a couple of bottles so he still brought the full allowance, just gifted to people that would share a taste.

Asking for some of your own gift back is a bit of a faux pas, that's why it is an unspoken thing the breaking open a gifted bottle with the gifter. You don't make a scene, you just hit da bricks on bringing booze and gift something else.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr Teatime posted:

If it helps I’m Scottish and I wouldn’t know any of these “customs”. People can be incredibly tiresome about whisky.

"You can really taste the peat bog mummy in this one."

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mx. posted:

your husband needs therapy and you need a divorce lmao

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I feel like if you're mad that your gift to another person didn't get partially returned to you and you also recognize it's a faux pas to ask for some of your gift back, you are fundamentally missing the point of a gift and also why it's rude to ask for some of it back

E: Also I don't think asking to share a glass of a nice liquor you brought is a faux pas

surc fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 31, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

surc posted:

I feel like if you're mad that your gift to another person didn't get partially returned to you and you also recognize it's a faux pas to ask for some of your gift back, you are fundamentally missing the point of a gift and also why it's rude to ask for some of it back
A consumable is often gifted with the desire to become closer to the recipient by consuming a portion of said gift together.

Like I dunno friends or something.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

teen witch posted:

Fenris was my beef thief.

She was relentless when it came to beef, like she’d look me dead in the eye and try and take a chomp out of a brisket.

Sneak some scraps to your furry loved ones. My other four are being spoiled as they miss her as much as we all do. Mourning sucks.

She is feasting in Valhalla now

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Remulak posted:

A consumable is often gifted with the desire to become closer to the recipient by consuming a portion of said gift together.

Yeah, agreed. I'd offer and if I didn't for some reason I'd immediately gladly share if somebody asked, and my memory would be how nice they were to have brought it not "how dare they ask for a glass". But if you're running with "You can't ask for any of it", then like, don't get mad if you don't get any?

The intent of giving a gift is to express appreciation for somebody. If you do that with expectations that you get something back, it undermines the gift-giving. That's why it's a faux pas. Expecting it but not asking for it but still getting mad is not one weird trick to get around why it's considered not good.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 31, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My buddy brings an eighth of weed I'm just like "thanks!" and stick it in a drawer

Then just watch their face for a while

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

Which loops right back to 'use your drat words'.
"Hey, how about we crack open that bottle I brought?" If you're friends, you can ask these things. If you aren't, then you're being weird and should stop.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Och I've handed you this whiskey in such a manner that it's opened the top, don't worry I'll seal it up oh god it's leaking, have you got any crystal tumblers to catch the leak

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

AITA for suggesting my pregnant sister should put her baby up for adoption?

I think this got passed over but JFC.

Some years ago, an ex-friend of mine had a horrible family tragedy, where her sister's boyfriend was shot and killed (and two of her sisters were shot as well. The rear end in a top hat left their party, came back with a gun, and had the three cornered in a bathroom.). Shortly after that, sister found out she was pregnant. And her mom flipped out, screaming how she couldn't abort the baby, it was all they had left of boyfriend, and it was about time someone had a new baby in the house (seeing as mom had had 5 kids and the youngest was 10), so the sister never had a chance to even think of options, it was all You Will Have Baby.

The opposite here, wtf.

AITA for no longer being attracted to my wife?

quote:

nsfw
As backstory, my (34M) wife (32F) and I have been married for 6 years and have one child (3F) together. Before getting married, we dated for about 7 years. My wife has always been sort of "tomboy-ish"...she had a thin frame, not many curves, shorter hair, and dressed pretty modestly. Regardless, she was drop-dead gorgeous to me. I guess I have a type. Anyway, one of her insecurities has always been her smaller breasts and rear and for a while now, has been talking about getting implants. Admittedly I've tried talking her out of it. In my opinion, she was absolutely perfect the way she was and I didn't think she needed to change.

We both make good money so getting high-quality cosmetic surgery wasn't an issue and she did. I tried talking her out of it up until her appointment but she wouldn't have it. She kept reassuring me that I'd love her new look. Well, she went from a 32A to a 32DD and got a pretty heft butt implant though I don't know the size. What she **also** was talked into were lip/cheek fillers which (IMO) drastically changed the look of her face. This was about two months ago and she's doing really well with the recovery. Overall, the work was very high quality and everything looks as natural as it probably could but I'm just...not attracted to it. I preferred the way she was before.

Well, it finally came out last night as she tried to initiate our first sexy time since the surgery. She basically modeled off some new lingerie and I guess she saw the lack of excitement on my face. She asked what was wrong and as gently as I could, I told her that while I was glad she was happy and confident, I preferred her body before. She proceeded to blow up on me and how I couldn't support her and her choices with *her* body and how I'm now telling her that I'm not attracted to her anymore. I reminded her that I tried to talk her out of it several times in several years but I still drove her to specialists, to surgery, to appointments afterwards, and helped her every way I could during recovery. I told her that I thought she was absolutely perfect the way she was and if I wanted a curvier woman, I wouldn't have married her.

Well she called me an rear end in a top hat and slept in the guest bedroom and is giving me the cold shoulder now. I personally don't think I did anything wrong. I didn't want to lie to her but I don't know if I was too harsh. So AITA?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 31, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for ordering extra spicy food and embarrassing a date?

quote:

I’m (20f) half chinese from my mom’s side. I recently met a guy (23m) on tinder. When I told him my background, he started talking about how much he loves chinese food and asked me out to dinner and for me to pick my favorite restaurant.

There’s a great, authentic sichaun restaurant in our city so I suggested that. I warned him that it’s quite spicy, I have many american friends that say they love chinese food but what they really mean is they love panda express. Nothing wrong with that, I love american-chinese food too, I just wanted to make sure.

He said it’s fine, he’s been to that restaurant before and it wasn’t even that spicy. Then he made a joke about how he’s offended (after this I’m not sure if it was a joke) I don’t think he can eat spicy food, he has a lot of asian friends and can handle spice better than some of them. We agreed on a date and went to this restaurant.

I ordered my dish in chinese. I look white from my dad so if I ever order in english, I always get a pretty mild dish but if I order in chinese, they’ll always make it spicier. My date told me to order for him too, and that he wanted it very spicy. She asked me in chinese if he was sure, and I said yes, make it extra spicy, he can handle it.

Food comes out, and it’s spicy. A couple of bites in and he starts struggling. I asked how the food is, and he’s still putting up a strong front but he’s barely eating it anymore. The waitress came over and starts speaking to me in chinese, asking how the food is, the usual small talk and then said in english to him “too spicy?” and laughed a little. I didn’t think she was being rude, she’s probably used to people ordering food too spicy for them all the time and I laughed a little too. The second she walks away, he asked what I said to her in chinese, and tells me I ordered it extra spicy to make fun of him because he ate at this place multiple times but it was never like this so I must’ve said something. I try to explain the whole ordering in english vs chinese thing, that many asian restaurants will do “white spicy”, it happens to me at thai resturants all the time unless I’m with a Thai friend.

I tried a bite of his and it’s the same so he tried mine and he said how mine is way less spicy but even after I trade with him, he basically only ate rice for the rest of the dinner. After I got home, he texted me saying how it was rude that I purposely ordered and spoke chinese to the waitress in front of him (even though he asked me to order?), that I wanted to embarrass him on purpose and that I ruined his meal just so I can laugh at him not being able to handle it.

I told some of my friends so we can laugh about this ridiculous date, but they think I should’ve known better that he wasn’t going to be able to eat that food because he probably always got “white spicy” and was just being cocky/trying to impress me or something so I shouldn’t have told the restaurant to make it extra spicy just to prove that he can’t actually handle it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

And gin! Something like 80% of the UKs' gin is now produced in Scottish distilleries and oh boy, people having started getting really tiresome and precious over that too.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for no longer being attracted to my wife?

Not everyone is into bimbofication

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A big part of gifting a good whisky is it is the excuse to splurge on a bottle and get something that you would really like to try. Generally the art is getting something that the host will really like so you have to know the preference and tendencies of your host and what whiskys will go with those preferences when selecting a bottle. Getting to try and affirm you nailed it is a part of the fun.

If you are not getting to try the bottle, it takes a lot of motivation out of the effort selecting it, spending from a few 10s to a few hundred quid and beyond on each bottle and carting from Edinburgh through customs to Australia. You can only carry a couple of bottles so he still brought the full allowance, just gifted to people that would share a taste.

Asking for some of your own gift back is a bit of a faux pas, that's why it is an unspoken thing the breaking open a gifted bottle with the gifter. You don't make a scene, you just hit da bricks on bringing booze and gift something else.

this just confirms that the one time I got given whiskey, it wasn't a gift for me it was a gift for the person bringing it, which just kinda pissed me off but ok - sure - the person not opening it is the jerk.

(I was on medication and couldn't even drink it, and he was a whiskey enthusiast. 'oh nooo guess you can't drink this'. it was the simpsons bowling ball gift)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 31, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this just confirms that the one time I got given whiskey, it wasn't a gift for me it was a gift for the person bringing it, which just kinda pissed me off but ok - sure - the person not opening it is the jerk.

wow what a crippling weakness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I regularly gift whiskey or scotch and would never expect someone to open it so I could have some. Sounds really really weird and doesn't feel like a real gift if you expect them to share it. You are an adult if you want to try some whiskey just buy yourself a bottle. If you want to drink whiskey at a party just bring a bottle and gift the person something else.