Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Salt Fish posted:

Bitcoin can never crash because it has a floor value equal to the cost of all the electricity stored inside each coin.

Hadn't thought of that. Good point, they'll be able to sell their bitcoin to utility companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Seth Green here explaining how it all works to dummies who don’t get it and think his stupid ape cartoon show is Bullshit

https://twitter.com/SethGreen/status/1529278652420018178

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

sick of Applebees posted:

Does anyone have the timeline for the New York investigation into Tether and their USDT printing runs where they print as much as they can before the 30 days and then stop as it starts?

It was theorised by looking at these charts, I don't think anything was confirmed though:

https://twitter.com/philiproulx/status/1395154682075619331?t=2Fg9I8J5n8PkrVuvCL5veg&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

smellmycheese posted:

Seth Green here explaining how it all works to dummies who don’t get it and think his stupid ape cartoon show is Bullshit

Given goons everyone probably already knows this, but this is literally already a thing with IP rights, like with Sony owning the Spider-man film rights while Marvel owns Iron Man, and it sucks and is bullshit

Like this is literally the Robot Chicken guy here, how does he not know how IP works

sad question
May 30, 2020

Yeah just imagine an NFT bro having "rights to exploit Smurfette", that could only end well. Phrase certainly didn't make me recoil upon reading.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Marvel and Sony have at least some mechanisms in place for professional collaboration, this is going to be kids on the playground screaming "Your GI Joe can't shoot mine, my GI Joe is also a ninja that dodges bullets!"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Yeah but this way is decentralized and on the blockchain which is better for some reasons I won’t explain here

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1531399557740957698

help i put all my savings into a project that's just a copy of a different project with the colours changed and it didn't moon, what do i do

Bored apes are already incredibly ugly and stupid and worthless and than someone comes and makes a bad copy of it changing some colors and it raises more than 1 million dollars of real money with that crap

I just cant

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Bored apes are already incredibly ugly and stupid and worthless and than someone comes and makes a bad copy of it changing some colors and it raises more than 1 million dollars of real money with that crap

I just cant

The thing that makes me genuinely tip my hat is that they figured out a way to make bored apes uglier with their melty apes.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just cant

$3 million for a bunch of palette swapped apes. Even I could have churned out something that lazy

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah but this way is decentralized and on the blockchain which is better for some reasons I won’t explain here

Because Marvel losing the rights to make avenger movies because some intern clicked the wrong link in an email is funnier than anything that Robot Chicken could ever come up with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

Because Marvel losing the rights to make avenger movies because some intern clicked the wrong link in an email is funnier than anything that Robot Chicken could ever come up with.

The funny part to me is how he thinks that crowdsourced fanfic as character backstory is somehow compelling or interesting. I mean, it could be neat as a weird experiment in full knowledge that you're going to get poo poo, but come on. There is zero way that design-by-committee is going to be more compelling than the creative vision of a team working towards the same goal, much less a bunch of internet weirdos obsessing about their special, unique(ly ugly) ape waifu.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
For sure. It’s happened on this very forum with stuff like Slenderman. Like it or not a lot of interesting stuff splintered off from the original posts, and most of those things were collaborative. But none of the projects that were “good” or notable had anything to do with Victor Surge (whatever his name was) and his ownership of 2 waffle images jpegs.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Illuminti posted:

It's extraordinary. If it was on the street it would be people watching someone walk up to their friend and say "If you give me a thousand dollars I'll give you this Rolex" then just taking the money and not giving them the watch. Then literally turning to them and saying "If you give me a thousand dollars I'll give you this Rolex" and then handing them $1000. Then as he walks away another person appears and says "if you give me a thousand dollars I'll give you this Rolex with a gold strap" and both our victims suggest they walk to an ATM to get some more cash out.

And the first watch is clearly a Casio and the second guy doesn't even have a watch.

It's the biggest grift machine ever. And when it all blows up, billions are lost and the dust finally settles, some gently caress who stole everyone's money will still be a billionaire and will be one of the judges in Shark Tank. What a world

This is entirely crypto. "The next lotto tickets won't be the same as the previous!"

Good news is that in a couple weeks to a month, after we go up a bit, Bitcoin should go into exploratory new lows. Which will probably introduce regulations and cause lots of crocodile tears from even crypto maximalists.

Cracks me up I still hear people saying crypto is unregulated. Like sure, break laws and let me know how it goes, as opposed to acknowledging that the IRS / FTC have been under funded and hamstrung.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
50 Shades of Gray was basically a bad Twilight fanfic. And noted anime classic Record of Lodoss War was just someone's D&D campaign so you know it happens. Also, TAILS GOT TROLLED.

Ok but really it'll be a sea of OG Character Do Not NFT crap

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

For sure. It’s happened on this very forum with stuff like Slenderman. Like it or not a lot of interesting stuff splintered off from the original posts, and most of those things were collaborative. But none of the projects that were “good” or notable had anything to do with Victor Surge (whatever his name was) and his ownership of 2 waffle images jpegs.

Man, being on the ground floor of the Hey I found this camera in the woods thread was amazing. But that's really the best type of community collab. Organic and spontaneous. Who would've thought a fun little prank would blow up so much or drive people to murder

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

50 Shades of Gray was basically a bad Twilight fanfic. And noted anime classic Record of Lodoss War was just someone's D&D campaign so you know it happens. Also, TAILS GOT TROLLED.

Tails Gets Trolled is feeling almost prophetic in how the new standard for Hollywood animation is 'incoherent orgy of IP that we own but can't think of any ideas to actually do anything with'

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah but all of those examples were at least a single writer. It’s not just fanfic, it’s crowdsourced fanfic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tails Gets Trolled is feeling almost prophetic in how the new standard for Hollywood animation is 'incoherent orgy of IP that we own but can't think of any ideas to actually do anything with'

From what I understand TGT is nothing but ideas

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Pinko69420/status/1531340287636799490?s=20&t=VIjnbSkUWtRtu0PS7vh16Q

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is entirely crypto. "The next lotto tickets won't be the same as the previous!"

Good news is that in a couple weeks to a month, after we go up a bit, Bitcoin should go into exploratory new lows. Which will probably introduce regulations and cause lots of crocodile tears from even crypto maximalists.

Cracks me up I still hear people saying crypto is unregulated. Like sure, break laws and let me know how it goes, as opposed to acknowledging that the IRS / FTC have been under funded and hamstrung.

"CASH is unregulated!!! They let me roll it up and snort coke through money. Here I'll do it in front of a cop to show you how safe it is!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Add it to the pile
https://twitter.com/Theophite/status/1030225104234373121?s=20&t=vMbwBTaG8BAT6u2TccQQOQ

Can you even still buy drugs with Bitcoin or is it's one use case gone?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Can you even still buy drugs with Bitcoin or is it's one use case gone?

that stuff mostly switched to crimecoins like monero which are much, much harder to trace

bitcoins public ledger is not ideal when you're doing crimes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The funny part to me is how he thinks that crowdsourced fanfic as character backstory is somehow compelling or interesting. I mean, it could be neat as a weird experiment in full knowledge that you're going to get poo poo, but come on. There is zero way that design-by-committee is going to be more compelling than the creative vision of a team working towards the same goal, much less a bunch of internet weirdos obsessing about their special, unique(ly ugly) ape waifu.

Rather than design-by-committee, it's more like everyone releasing half-formed ideas into the wild in hopes that someone else will write a good story using those ideas, generating royalties for the idea-writers.

They talk big about collaborative fiction and community writing, but that's just fluff - every NFT collaborative fiction project I've seen has basically been designed around the concept that any successful stories will somehow generate income for other people who didn't have any actual part in writing those stories.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

"CASH is unregulated!!! They let me roll it up and snort coke through money. Here I'll do it in front of a cop to show you how safe it is!"

I also love when they get into the "evils" of fractional reserve banking without acknowledging that stablecoins are doing the same thing. Or try to say bitcoin is somehow better because it has a limited supply. Apparently they don't know what happens when you run out of supply, which if I recall correctly, was literally the reason we stopped relying on the gold standard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Darkwingwhatever should send a Cease & Desist to Seth Green.

It will be hilarious seeing the crypto bros telling Seth to suck it up, you dont own it any more.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I also love when they get into the "evils" of fractional reserve banking without acknowledging that stablecoins are doing the same thing. Or try to say bitcoin is somehow better because it has a limited supply. Apparently they don't know what happens when you run out of supply, which if I recall correctly, was literally the reason we stopped relying on the gold standard.

I thought the reason was "pinning the value of our money to the value of something we don't control was a bad idea because it gave us less leeway to gently caress with poo poo when it was needed."

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

There are a lot of reasons. The population was always increasing/the value of money being human time/labor means a commodity middle man is stupid, ect

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MechaCrash posted:

I thought the reason was "pinning the value of our money to the value of something we don't control was a bad idea because it gave us less leeway to gently caress with poo poo when it was needed."

To the more informed of the goldbug types, that's a feature, not a bug, because they assume they'll be the ones in control.

To the less, it's a mix of generalised distrust of any government doing anything for any reason (part of a long term political project to equate the New Deal as an equal evil to the Third Reich) and a comfort in the idea of money existing like a video game currency that has inherent 'value' regardless of literally any other circumstance.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Darkwingwhatever should send a Cease & Desist to Seth Green.

It will be hilarious seeing the crypto bros telling Seth to suck it up, you dont own it any more.

Last I saw he was tagging the wrong twitter account and the right account replied to one of his posts to dm him, so unless he missed that he will probably get it back somehow.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

smellmycheese posted:

I posted in here that he was probably just one of those rich dudes that tossed funny money into NFTs because why not? And am somewhat sad to see he's a true believer in this poo poo.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

You mean I get to exploit Papa Smurf?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ouhei posted:

I posted in here that he was probably just one of those rich dudes that tossed funny money into NFTs because why not? And am somewhat sad to see he's a true believer in this poo poo.

lmao, if you didn't think your favorite fame seeking wealthy person was willing to do anything to get more money and fame...well buddy I got some monkey paper doll images to sell you, and trust me, you'll be the only one holding the bag.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Check this grifting in a channel I spotted, a "we'll totally do stuff for you! btw pay us and then goodbye!"

grifters posted:

We’re happy to announce that we will be launching the ‘Exploring Metaverse/Memecoins’ program in the KuCoin Metaverse and Memecoins Telegram group! These two groups are built for mass communities who are interested in the related fields to have open discussions. Any projects in related areas are welcome to apply and conduct marketing activities in the group!

* Important Notice
This program is limited to KuCoin Metaverse and Memecoins Telegram groups, and is only to encourage open communications between projects and the KuCoin community in related fields. KuCoin doesn't suggest investing or promising any listing on the exchange for the projects in this program.

They're so silo'd off they want people to imagine something is happening, when nothing is. Specifically they're asking for money for this which promises nothing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I didn't think you were supposed to admit to wanting to exploit the communists with different colored skin.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

You mean I get to exploit Papa Smurf?

https://twitter.com/TakahaneKazan/status/1531563607246635009?s=20&t=7lrvmpi3bB13FnUzijoErA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm launching a "give me money to sit and surf the web" "coin." I need 50 million fiat bucks, and I'll turn that into "My Bucks," which I will be keeping in a "bank" so you don't have to!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Every time a true believer explains NFTs it makes less sense than it did before.

I have been waiting a long rear end time to become part of the Smurf collective though….

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/Bogswallop/status/1531656197933260803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s weird is the apes aren’t really a cohesive collective. They are derivative but being derivative doesn’t mean they are cohesive