Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Forgiven hat of aiming, imagine my delight when I discovered you could dye it!

edit to keep the hat for eternity

hazardousmouse posted:

pearl white on the makai handgun is fuckin choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thanks, but drat I need look through these dungeon armorsets. The pieces I got during my run of that dungeon were not as impressive as that hat.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
there are a couple of sites dedicated to showing off all the armor in the game: https://www.ffxivcollection.com/ is probably the best one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thanks, but drat I need look through these dungeon armorsets. The pieces I got during my run of that dungeon were not as impressive as that hat.

Pro-tip for getting glam sets from leveling dungeons: hold on to every piece of gear (including the jewelry) for the job you’re on, and you’ll be guaranteed to eventually get every piece of it from the end of dungeon reward.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Regalingualius posted:

Pro-tip for getting glam sets from leveling dungeons: hold on to every piece of gear (including the jewelry) for the job you’re on, and you’ll be guaranteed to eventually get every piece of it from the end of dungeon reward.

I will warn that if you're after a single, specific piece from a levelling dungeon, you should be prepared to get no drops from treasure chests and get every other piece in the set first as the end of dungeon guaranteed drop.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Or you will spend that time grinding out a piece only to have a retainer bring it to you the next week. :argh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still trying to get the casting body from the 6.1 dungeon. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. :argh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's been some interviews going up on FFXI's site for the anniversary, and the most recent one had YoshiP. It mostly talks about him getting into MMORPGs, but there's a few things toward the end about FFXIV. I'm picking out individual responses, so check it out the full thing for context and other questions that were asked.

Going back to the topic of stories, FFXIV’s storytelling has also received high praise from around the world. As the director, did you always have an FF-style story in mind for FFXIV? posted:

Yoshida A story was essential, since there’d be no point in making an FF-style MMORPG without one. Furthermore, seeing as our goal was to create a numbered title to become the “next FFXI,” I personally wanted to challenge ourselves to create an MMORPG with a story focused around one player. There still weren’t any MMORPGs where the players were explicitly told, “You’re the hero of the story!” so I wanted to delve into that concept and have players save the world in a straightforward manner.

Delving further into the story aspect, FFXIV features the names of monsters, weapons, and actions which originated from FFXI. Was it the idea of former FFXI developers to include these references? posted:

[...]

Yoshida The FFXIV staff in charge of lore and items have a great respect for FFXI, so I believe the references come from their playfulness and their strong feelings towards previous titles in the series. Mr. Hayashi* in particular has a long history of developing items for FFXI as well, and he seems to bring over certain names that would evoke the memories of players who have played FFXI. I’ve never given him specific instructions regarding that aspect, but I do ask him to check with me when he’ll be using the name of an item with great importance to the series.

[...]

Yoshida Job names are especially tough. (laughs wryly) After all, there’s no point if a job is similar to its namesake in name only; its gameplay experience needs to match their pre-established design too. At this point, I’m thinking we have no choice but to come up with brand new jobs that haven’t appeared in the FF series before.

I certainly see why, considering there’s already 22 jobs in FFXI and 20 jobs in FFXIV. posted:

Matsui As long as new game elements aren’t being introduced, new jobs are designed to fulfill a battle role that can already be filled by an existing job. That said, we can’t release a superior version of a certain job, and a new job that offers the same experience as an existing one would defeat the purpose of adding a new job. In that sense, it’s very difficult to come up with a new job.

Yoshida From a system perspective, if the number of jobs is fixed and well-balanced, there’s no need to add more, and adding new jobs would obviously cause a stir. But nevertheless, we always need to add more jobs to keep providing new gameplay experiences.

Matsui Back in Chains of Promathia, we were heavily criticized by foreign media for releasing a new expansion without any new jobs. Considering that, we might say it’s a “rule of design” to provide either a new job or playable race as the main feature of a new expansion.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

so loving close... :negative:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

so loving close... :negative:

:same:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/KageSatsuki/status/1531277472536244229

https://twitter.com/KageSatsuki/status/1531278715107176448

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hey, hey, hey, it's Disappointment Day! Good luck beating the odds for a house today if you put in a bid

E: this post may be because bitching in the thread is scientifically how you get results you want. It's true :colbert:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 31, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm gonna bid on a beautiful spot for a relocation and make a shitpost of a house if I get it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's like 70 entries on the plot I entered so I don't have high hopes. Although I think that's going to be the norm from now on until they open up some of the NINETEEN FC wards

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but a FC gets a lot more use out of a house than a single player. That's why they made apartments.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but a FC gets a lot more use out of a house than a single player. That's why they made apartments.

Yeah, the mass of empty FC only plots sure are getting a lot more use than they would if they were available to individual purchases.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This is only the 2nd lottery round, FCs are still focusing on the remaining larges and mediums. You can't make judgement calls on whether 18 FC wards are too many until after another 2-3 lotteries.

Yes I know it's frustrating seeing empty FC plots while you and another 20 people want the same personal housing plot. But that's the entire point. Correcting too many FC-only wards is possible, correcting too few would not be because there would be no plots left after the first round.

Non-FC houses were a mistake.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, the mass of empty FC only plots sure are getting a lot more use than they would if they were available to individual purchases.

It's literally the second round of auctions after the first got borked. Shut the gently caress up!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea tbh I'm not 100% wild about this system (though I think it's an improvement) but it feels like 'literally round two, the round after everything caught on fire for a sec and they had to rip it down and restart' is pretty early to declare it a failed project!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Weirdly hostile responses to me thinking that they made way too many plots FC only and should alter the ratio.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I am fully expecting to lose the bid I put in to relocate to Shirogane. Plot has 44 bidders as of this a.m. I should have checked the last personal medium in Ishgard on my server because it had that many after only a few hours on the first day. It's probably over 100 now.

I figured I'd have slightly better odds going with old and busted over new hotness.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Most of the guilds are going to be bidding on the medium and large plots so it will take a couple of rounds for those to get filtered out of availability and the Guilds to start hitting up the remaining houses. This being the literal 2nd round of the options means that yes there are going to be a lot of Empty lots for now. Crying about not liking the ratios when there has only been a single round of Auctions is dumb.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

orcane posted:

This is only the 2nd lottery round, FCs are still focusing on the remaining larges and mediums

Yeah that's why both mediums in my ward (grandfathered into a FC-only one) had zero bids when I went to bed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The plot I bid on had 38 bids when I went to bed last night. Not great odds!

But I did see a mansion in Shirogane with 103 bids (it doesn't even have a good view?). A couple mediums with 140-160. I didn't check all the smalls but beachfront properties have a big premium.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I had thoughts about bidding on a large plot. But my medium in the Lavender Beds is right drat next to a market board and bell, and that's really what I value most in a house.

I am a terrible decorator.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

All the FC larges left on omega had 25+ bids so our little FC went for a medium. Hope it works :ohdear:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I expect that all the FC larges will be gone at the end of this round, and probably all the FC mediums at the end of the next round. If there's still a lot of unwanted FC smalls at the end of round 4 they'll open some of those wards back up to personal buyers.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah that's why both mediums in my ward (grandfathered into a FC-only one) had zero bids when I went to bed.
Maybe FCs are also trying to get "better" spots first? There could be a ton of reasons, as long as there are exclusive wards the FCs have a choice and don't need to settle for any available plot yet.

It's completely anecdotal, but I can play that game too. On Excal, over 300 bids cover the last 6 large FC plots in Shirogane and Ishgard (I didn't check the other housing zones), and across both of these zones 109 medium FC plots are for sale. Medium FC plots in Shirogane had 9 bids on average earlier, I walked past several in Ishgard with only one signup so I assume some of them are still at 0. There's clearly demand for the larger plots and some of that will filter down as the larger plots, preferred locations, plots near friends etc. are taken.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Personal buyers also seem to favor larges and mediums. I'm glad for it, made bidding on a small actually feel like I had a shot. I'll take a 1 in 18 chance.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 31, 2022

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

They should really just allow any size plot to have the maximum three garden patches. And allow apartments to have a garden patch as well. I suppose I've ranted about that enough in the past, though.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Bigger is generally better, but for a personal house the biggest I'd want to go for is a medium if just because in a large, you apparently feel the items-placed-per-house limit more. That said any personal medium left on Balmung is not an upgrade location-wise or convenience-wise so I'm going to stick with my small in the Goblet.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah,I'm gonna stick with my cottage grandfathered into a FC zone. I agree with everyone having max garden plots and for FC cottages to have ship access if they don't atm. It would remove some of the pressure for larges only

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Personal buyers also seem to favor larges and mediums. I'm glad for it, made bidding on a small actually feel like I had a shot. I'll take a 1 in 18 chance.
My assumption is that the bids on personal mediums and larges are from people trying to upgrade from their smalls, so they don’t mind the odds so much because they’re still sitting on a house of their own. I assume premium small locations (Mist or Shiro beach, the Lavender Beds island) got a lot of bids though.

hazardousmouse posted:

Forgiven hat of aiming, imagine my delight when I discovered you could dye it!
One of my favorite hats as well. One time I went into Copied Factory with friends on voice chat, and when we zoned in one of them said “Look at this obnoxious hat oh my god”

It was me in the Forgiven Hat, dyed Metallic Yellow

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I just want a yard drat it

iPodschun posted:

My assumption is that the bids on personal mediums and larges are from people trying to upgrade from their smalls, so they don’t mind the odds so much because they’re still sitting on a house of their own. I assume premium small locations (Mist or Shiro beach, the Lavender Beds island) got a lot of bids though.

Lavender beds only had one high bid small, out of the ones available, and it was the one all by itself in the subdivision in front of the huge waterfall. 58 bids last I checked last night, every other small was 22 or under.

That makes a lot of since about the already home owners. I wouldn't mind bidding above 20 if I already had a house for sure.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 31, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don’t even really know what I’d do if I did win a house, decoration-wise.

Not that that stopped me from putting most of my Gil into a medium plot bid.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FeatherFloat posted:

Bigger is generally better, but for a personal house the biggest I'd want to go for is a medium if just because in a large, you apparently feel the items-placed-per-house limit more. That said any personal medium left on Balmung is not an upgrade location-wise or convenience-wise so I'm going to stick with my small in the Goblet.

Yeah, you definitely run into the item limit in a large. My FC decorated our place after the first round, and they ran out of items before even starting the basement. It wasn't even excessively decorated or one of those crazy showrooms that people make with stacking and clipping furniture creatively.

Even with my medium I feel I need to leave a bit undecorated just to fit in everything.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Onean posted:

There's been some interviews going up on FFXI's site for the anniversary, and the most recent one had YoshiP. It mostly talks about him getting into MMORPGs, but there's a few things toward the end about FFXIV. I'm picking out individual responses, so check it out the full thing for context and other questions that were asked.

Glad to hear that we'll continually get new jobs as long as there are expansions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

orcane posted:

You can't make judgement calls on whether 18 FC wards are too many until after another 2-3 lotteries.

Yes I can :colbert:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah,I'm gonna stick with my cottage grandfathered into a FC zone. I agree with everyone having max garden plots and for FC cottages to have ship access if they don't atm. It would remove some of the pressure for larges only

Yeah, I've wanted to move to Mist for a while, but not worth it. The only Mist medium up had 86 bids when I checked last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My FC was lucky enough to win the coin flip. We picked a less popular medium house in Lavender Beds. 6 total bids, 3 were ours.